Editable Variable?

  • Paul Smith
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2003
      Hi, guys. In one of our games, the DM has defined a series of
      templates that follow the progress of the character with his
      alchemical studies. An "alien" form of alchemy with the scope of the
      items that can be made with the alchemy skill defined by the level
      of the template. (i.e. Minor herbal elixirs at 1st, toxic powders at
      2nd, compounds & blade venoms at 3rd, etc.) Defining these in PCGen
      was no problem, but progress towards the next level is tracked by
      awards of "pseudo-experience" stemming from direct successful use of
      that alien alchemy. No other benefits are gained, so this isn't
      really a prestige class, and we don't want to turn it into one.

      The question is this: How can one track these points, edit them in
      PCGen, and use those values as prereqs? I can see how to define a
      variable in the original template, and how to increment that
      variable with subsequent templates or feats, (i.e. the "level" of
      the template could be a variable incremented by a non-visable,
      stackable template). However, the values for these points, if
      defined as a variable, are too high to edit in that fashion. The
      values the DM has chosen are in the same progression as those for
      the actual xp tables, but we dont want these template "levels" to
      stack with real class levels. Is there a way, editable in PCGen,
      to "track" these points and use that value in PreXXX tags? Right
      now, I just keep a running total in the notes section, and manually
      keep track of the totals/levels.

      This is probably is too situation-specific to justify a FREQ.
      However, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe, someone else sees other uses for
      this kind of functionality? Anyway thanks for the attention to my
      question.

      Paul Smith
    • frugal@purplewombat.co.uk
      Message 2 of 10 , May 2, 2003
        > The question is this: How can one track these points, edit them in
        > PCGen, and use those values as prereqs? I can see how to define a
        > variable in the original template, and how to increment that
        > variable with subsequent templates or feats, (i.e. the "level" of
        > the template could be a variable incremented by a non-visable,
        > stackable template). However, the values for these points, if
        > defined as a variable, are too high to edit in that fashion. The
        > values the DM has chosen are in the same progression as those for
        > the actual xp tables, but we dont want these template "levels" to
        > stack with real class levels. Is there a way, editable in PCGen,
        > to "track" these points and use that value in PreXXX tags? Right
        > now, I just keep a running total in the notes section, and manually
        > keep track of the totals/levels.

        How about have a series of templates?

        A template for 1 pseudo XP point
        A template for 10 pseudo XP points
        A template for 100 pseudo XP points
        A template for 1000 pseudo XP points
        A template for 10000 pseudo XP points
        A template for 100000 pseudo XP points

        The you can apply each template the required number of times to get the
        required total.

        For 1043 pseudo XP points you need to apply the 1000Xp once, the 10 XP 4
        times and the 1XP 3 times.

        If you can not apply the same template more than once then make each
        template XP a power of 2 and use binary to do it.

        A template for 1 pseudo XP point
        A template for 2 pseudo XP points
        A template for 4 pseudo XP points
        A template for 8 pseudo XP points
        A template for 16 pseudo XP points
        A template for 32 pseudo XP points

        So 1043XP would be

        1 x 1024XP template
        1 x 16XP template
        1 x 2XP template
        1 x 1PX template

        That way you only need to use any template once. (To go all the way up to
        20th level you would need 18 templates, to go to 100th level you would
        need 23).

        regards,
        Frugal
        -OS Tamarin
      • Tir Gwaith
        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2003
          1) You can't take any template more than once.

          2) IIRC, there is an outstanding FReq for adjustable variables. Things like
          Reputation, Action points for Modern, etc... Arknight was going to look into
          doing that, but he has been hit with RL for a while (like a lot of our code
          monkeys)

          Tir Gwaith
          PCGen BoD
          Data Silverback
        • Paul Smith
          Message 4 of 10 , May 2, 2003
            I thought about this, but I'm not sure what that many templates,
            applied to the character, would do to the processing required every
            time the pcg is loaded in PCGen. Most of the time, the value would
            be incremented by about 50 to 150 each time. It occurs to me that
            most of the values will tend to be multiples of 10 or of 25. If I
            used the "factor of 10" list as suggested, plus one each for 25 and
            50, that would probably cover it.

            Assuming this is the case, next question: How does one display the
            value of the variable in pcgen and on the character sheet? I'd have
            to see the value to know the current amount and how much needed to
            be applied. Also, I'd like to display that "level" variable with an
            output that comes out as "Anlaxii Alchemy Level <x>", where "x" is
            the value of the "level" variable. Then a similar display for
            the "Anlaxii Alchemy Points <y>". My expectation is that I'll define
            the level variable with a formula to calculate it's value based on
            the value of the "AXP" variable. No, I'm not ambitious... :-)
            Anyway, how does one produce this variable's value in the display
            and the output? Thanks.

            Paul Smith

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, frugal@p... wrote:
            <snip>

            > How about have a series of templates?
            >
            > A template for 1 pseudo XP point
            > A template for 10 pseudo XP points
            > A template for 100 pseudo XP points
            > A template for 1000 pseudo XP points
            > A template for 10000 pseudo XP points
            > A template for 100000 pseudo XP points
            >
            > The you can apply each template the required number of times to
            get the
            > required total.
            >
            > For 1043 pseudo XP points you need to apply the 1000Xp once, the
            10 XP 4
            > times and the 1XP 3 times.
            >
            > If you can not apply the same template more than once then make
            each
            > template XP a power of 2 and use binary to do it.
            >
            > A template for 1 pseudo XP point
            > A template for 2 pseudo XP points
            > A template for 4 pseudo XP points
            > A template for 8 pseudo XP points
            > A template for 16 pseudo XP points
            > A template for 32 pseudo XP points
            >
            > So 1043XP would be
            >
            > 1 x 1024XP template
            > 1 x 16XP template
            > 1 x 2XP template
            > 1 x 1PX template
            >
            > That way you only need to use any template once. (To go all the
            way up to
            > 20th level you would need 18 templates, to go to 100th level you
            would
            > need 23).
            >
            > regards,
            > Frugal
            > -OS Tamarin
          • Paul Smith
            Message 5 of 10 , May 2, 2003
              Arrg! Oh, well... Then until the FREQ gets worked, I'll limit myself
              to the level only, and continue to track the "xp" value manually.
              With the level value, I can simply create a slightly different
              template name to adjust the "level" value each time. There would be
              no more than a dozen. i.e. "Anlaxii Level 1" template is base.
              Applying the "Anlaxii Level 2" template would imcrement the "level"
              variable, and be non-visible so it doesn't clutter up the character
              sheet.

              The question I asked in my reply to frugal still applies, though.
              How does one display the value of the variable in PCGen and in the
              output sheets? I'm sure I've seen something at some point about the
              output token, but not sure where I saw it. The display in the
              program, I'm not at all clear about. Thanks.

              Paul Smith
              No, none of "those Paul's". ;)

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...>
              wrote:
              > 1) You can't take any template more than once.
              >
              > 2) IIRC, there is an outstanding FReq for adjustable variables.
              Things like
              > Reputation, Action points for Modern, etc... Arknight was going to
              look into
              > doing that, but he has been hit with RL for a while (like a lot of
              our code
              > monkeys)
              >
              > Tir Gwaith
              > PCGen BoD
              > Data Silverback
            • Martin!
              Message 6 of 10 , May 2, 2003
                The way we use to track those "variable ", is by making a weightless item
                and buying/equiping it.

                Martin!
                Life is short. I am short. Therefore, I am life.
                > Arrg! Oh, well... Then until the FREQ gets worked, I'll limit myself
                > to the level only, and continue to track the "xp" value manually.
                > With the level value, I can simply create a slightly different
                > template name to adjust the "level" value each time. There would be
                > no more than a dozen. i.e. "Anlaxii Level 1" template is base.
                > Applying the "Anlaxii Level 2" template would imcrement the "level"
                > variable, and be non-visible so it doesn't clutter up the character
                > sheet.
                >
                > The question I asked in my reply to frugal still applies, though.
                > How does one display the value of the variable in PCGen and in the
                > output sheets? I'm sure I've seen something at some point about the
                > output token, but not sure where I saw it. The display in the
                > program, I'm not at all clear about. Thanks.
                >
                > Paul Smith
                > No, none of "those Paul's". ;)
                >
                > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...>
                > wrote:
                > > 1) You can't take any template more than once.
                > >
                > > 2) IIRC, there is an outstanding FReq for adjustable variables.
                > Things like
                > > Reputation, Action points for Modern, etc... Arknight was going to
                > look into
                > > doing that, but he has been hit with RL for a while (like a lot of
                > our code
                > > monkeys)
                > >
                > > Tir Gwaith
                > > PCGen BoD
                > > Data Silverback

              • Emily Smirle
                Message 7 of 10 , May 2, 2003
                  Paul Smith wrote:
                  > Anyway, how does one produce this variable's value in the display
                  > and the output? Thanks.

                  Create yet another template, this one with an SA displaying the value. :)
                  --
                  "Is he an evil outsider?"
                  "Well, he was one of the loners in evil kindergarten..."
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 2, 2003
                    To display on the sheets

                    |VAR.VariableName|

                    I have no idea how to get it to display in PCGen itself. (But a lot of
                    variables don't... Like Rage or Turning).

                    Barak
                    - PCGen BoD
                    - OS Silverback

                  • Tir Gwaith
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 2, 2003
                      > To display on the sheets
                      >
                      > |VAR.VariableName|
                      >
                      > I have no idea how to get it to display in PCGen itself. (But a lot of
                      > variables don't... Like Rage or Turning).

                      You have to define it in miscinfo.lst (GameMode file)

                      Modern GameMode has 3 of these (the max in the current code)

                      Tir Gwaith
                      PCGen BoD
                      Data Silverback

                      # DISPLAYVARIABLExTEXT: determines the Label displayed for the variable
                      # DISPLAYVARIABLExNAME: determines the variable displayed. This must match
                      the DEFINE:
                      # variable in order to be displayed
                      # up to 3 variables can be displayed in this manner
                      DISPLAYVARIABLE1TEXT:Reputation
                      DISPLAYVARIABLE1NAME:Reputation
                      DISPLAYVARIABLE2TEXT:Action Points
                      DISPLAYVARIABLE2NAME:Action
                      DISPLAYVARIABLE3TEXT:Class Defense Bonus
                      DISPLAYVARIABLE3NAME:ClassDefense
                    • merton_monk
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 2, 2003
                        With the character the 'currently' selected one, you can go to the
                        Debug console and type the variable name in the text box at the
                        bottom.

                        -Bryan