RE: LST Editor: Skills

  • Paul Grosse
    Message 1 of 17 , May 1, 2003
      > From: Paul Grosse [mailto:pgrosse@...]
      >

      > Okay, the synergy tab threw me for a loop till I figured that
      > it's actually backwards from what I was thinking. My DM has a
      > bunch of specialized categories under several of the
      > knowledge skills, like Arcana, is broken down into each of
      > the schools, and Nature is broke down into Anatomy, Biology
      > etc. Well each of the sub classes give a synergy bonus to a
      > the parent skill. The way the synergy tag is written I can
      > never give a synergy bonus to an existing skill, like
      > Know(Arcana) with out either copying the parent, or making a
      > MOD to it, right? Shouldn't the tag be written so that you
      > add it to the skill that "gives" the synergy bonus instead of
      > the one that "receives" it, that would make it easier to
      > create custom synergy bonuses.
      >
      > Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
      > PCGen OGL Gibbon

      Also note that editing the actual LST file and writing the synergy tag
      backwards does NOT add a synergy bonus to the parent skill like one
      would think :(
    • Tir Gwaith
      Message 2 of 17 , May 1, 2003
        > > it, right? Shouldn't the tag be written so that you add it to the
        > > skill that "gives" the synergy bonus instead of the one that
        > > "receives" it, that would make it easier to create custom synergy
        > > bonuses.
        >
        > well, except that it's the 'target skill' that documents the synergy
        > bonus.

        Huh? In either Skill....

        BONUS:SKILL|<name of skill to get teh bonus>|<synergy
        bonus>|TYPE=Synergy.STACK|PRESKILL:1,<name of skill that required ranks
        grant the bonus>=<number of ranks required>

        will work. So I can put
        BONUS:SKILL|MyFirstSkill|2|TYPE=Synergy.STACK|PRESKILL:1,MySecondSkill=5
        In EITHER skill, and it will grant the bonus to MyFirstSkill, so long as I
        have 5 ranks in MySecondSkill.

        Heck, you could move them all to a template if you wanted, that way you
        could easily turn the Synergy bonuses on or off.....

        Tir Gwaith
        PCGen BoD
        Data Silverback
      • Paul Grosse
        Message 3 of 17 , May 1, 2003
          <snip>
          > > it, right? Shouldn't the tag be written so that you add it to the
          > > skill that "gives" the synergy bonus instead of the one that
          > > "receives" it, that would make it easier to create custom synergy
          > > bonuses.
          >
          > well, except that it's the 'target skill' that documents the synergy
          > bonus.

          Huh? In either Skill....

          BONUS:SKILL|<name of skill to get teh bonus>|<synergy
          bonus>|TYPE=Synergy.STACK|PRESKILL:1,<name of skill that required
          ranks
          grant the bonus>=<number of ranks required>

          will work. So I can put
          BONUS:SKILL|MyFirstSkill|2|TYPE=Synergy.STACK|PRESKILL:1,MySecondSkill
          =5
          In EITHER skill, and it will grant the bonus to MyFirstSkill, so long
          as I
          have 5 ranks in MySecondSkill.

          Heck, you could move them all to a template if you wanted, that way
          you
          could easily turn the Synergy bonuses on or off.....

          Tir Gwaith
          PCGen BoD
          Data Silverback
          </snip>

          I tried that Tir, it didn't work for me. Hmm, maybe I have a
          misspelled word somewhere throwing it off

          <start of skill line>
          Knowledge (Arcana: Arcane Magic)<tab>
          KEYSTAT:INT<tab>
          USEUNTRAINED:NO<tab>
          BONUS:SKILL|Knowledge (Arcana)|2|PRESKILL:1,Knowledge (Arcane
          Magic)=5|TYPE=Synergy.STACK<tab>
          TYPE:INTELLIGENCE.KNOWLEDGE.CUSTOM<tab>
          SOURCEPAGE:DPHB, v1.17
          </Skill line>

          Doh! I see my error the 2nd skill is wrong, although does the TYPE
          have to be in the middle? The LST editor puts it at the end of the
          BONUS tag.
        • Keith Davies
          Message 4 of 17 , May 1, 2003
            On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 01:42:28PM -0500, Tir Gwaith wrote:
            > > > it, right? Shouldn't the tag be written so that you add it to the
            > > > skill that "gives" the synergy bonus instead of the one that
            > > > "receives" it, that would make it easier to create custom synergy
            > > > bonuses.
            > >
            > > well, except that it's the 'target skill' that documents the synergy
            > > bonus.
            >
            > Huh? In either Skill....
            >
            > BONUS:SKILL|<name of skill to get teh bonus>|<synergy
            > bonus>|TYPE=Synergy.STACK|PRESKILL:1,<name of skill that required ranks
            > grant the bonus>=<number of ranks required>
            >
            > will work. So I can put
            > BONUS:SKILL|MyFirstSkill|2|TYPE=Synergy.STACK|PRESKILL:1,MySecondSkill=5
            > In EITHER skill, and it will grant the bonus to MyFirstSkill, so long as I
            > have 5 ranks in MySecondSkill.

            Ah, okay. I'd only seen it in the target skill and it didn't leap out
            of the doco at me.

            Keith
            --
            Keith Davies
            keith.davies@...

            PCGen: <reaper/>, smartass
          • Daniel Fenwick
            Message 5 of 17 , May 1, 2003
              I think this is a simple question. My DM has given everyone in the party
              who was present for a specific adventure two ranks in a particular skill.
              How do I add this to the characters?

              Thanks.

              Dan
            • Tommy Williams
              Message 6 of 17 , May 1, 2003
                Easiest way would be to manually add 2 points to your skill points at the bottom of the skills tab. Then just add the skill as you normally would, unless its a cross class skill for you. In that case, you'll need to add 4 points.
                I think this is a simple question. My DM has given everyone in the party
                who was present for a specific adventure two ranks in a particular skill.
                How do I add this to the characters?

                Thanks.

                Dan

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Tir Gwaith
                Message 7 of 17 , May 1, 2003
                  > Doh! I see my error the 2nd skill is wrong, although does the TYPE
                  > have to be in the middle? The LST editor puts it at the end of the
                  > BONUS tag.

                  Nope. The different |TYPE= and |PRExxx are interchangeable (the part up to
                  the bonus formula has to be in order tho). You can only have one TYPE=
                  statement for the bonus, but you can have as many PRExxx statements as you'd
                  like.

                  Tir Gwaith
                  PCGen BoD
                  Data Silverback
                • merton_monk
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 1, 2003
                    Or you could create a template that has a +2 in each of the specified
                    skills and apply that to each character. Creating this template in
                    the template Lst Editor shouldn't be hard. Manually upping their
                    ranks in the skills tab works, but may cause problems with regards to
                    Max Ranks. You coul create a Custom item that has a +2 in each of the
                    skills and make sure that everyone equips one (make it a non-slot
                    item, like a gold coin)

                    -Bryan

                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tommy Williams" <aarn_d@h...> wrote:
                    > Easiest way would be to manually add 2 points to your skill points
                    at the bottom of the skills tab. Then just add the skill as you
                    normally would, unless its a cross class skill for you. In that case,
                    you'll need to add 4 points.

                    Service.

                  • Daniel Fenwick
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 1, 2003
                      Thanks for the suggestions. :)

                      Dan
                    • Luc Holland
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 1, 2003
                        Where do I find how PC Gen handles levels for characters? Is it modifiable?

                        TIA,
                        Luc
                      • merton_monk
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 1, 2003
                          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Luc Holland <holland@c...> wrote:
                          > Where do I find how PC Gen handles levels for characters? Is it
                          modifiable?

                          Very modifiable. What about the levels did you want to modify, and
                          for which class(es)?

                          -Bryan

                          > TIA,
                          > Luc
                        • Luc Holland
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 3, 2003
                            I was wondering (pre-ELH inclusion) how I could get levels 21-24 (or higher)
                            available for any class, but specifically cleric for 3ed. What files do I
                            need to look at? I looked at most files and found
                            PCGen\system\gameModes\DnD\level.lst but in PCGen it won't allow me to add a
                            level past 20 in a class.

                            Luc

                          • Tommy Williams
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 5, 2003
                              To go past level 20, you have to check the "ignore level caps" or somesuch in the house rules section of the options. Unfortunately this will continue the normal BAB and save progression and id NOT ELH compliant.

                              If you want to code it yourself per ELH rules, send me an email off-list and I'll be glad to help you.
                              I was wondering (pre-ELH inclusion) how I could get levels 21-24 (or higher)
                              available for any class, but specifically cleric for 3ed. What files do I
                              need to look at? I looked at most files and found
                              PCGen\system\gameModes\DnD\level.lst but in PCGen it won't allow me to add a
                              level past 20 in a class.

                              Luc

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor