Star Wars in PCGEN

  • thatcrazyguy777
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1 10:56 AM
      Hi, I'm a big Star Wars RPG Fan, but not a as much into DnD. I was
      wondering what version of PCGEN was best for Star Wars, and when Star
      Wars will be added to more recent versions.

      Also, how do you add Trianii, and custom races?
    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1 11:24 AM
        > Hi, I'm a big Star Wars RPG Fan, but not a as much into DnD. I was
        > wondering what version of PCGEN was best for Star Wars, and when
        > Star Wars will be added to more recent versions.
        >
        > Also, how do you add Trianii, and custom races?

        ::sigh::

        Please read the State of PCGen file that is included when you join
        the group, or can be found in the Files section of the Y! Group (
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen/files/ ).

        Now, that being said. SW is closed content. PCGen deals in open
        material (like the SRD ( http://www.wizards.com/D20/article.asp?
        x=srd ) or MSRD ( http://www.wizards.com/D20/article.asp?x=msrd )),
        or material that we have special permission from the publisher. Even
        though WotC published the SW books, they don't own the IP copyrights
        to it, LucasFilm does. So, that means that PCGen would need to get
        permission from 2 separate groups to distribute the files for
        free...which is unlikely IMO.

        Now, Code Monkey Publishing ( http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com )
        has reached an agreement with WotC to produce, for a fee, the closed
        material solely owned by WotC (like the splat books, ELH, Savage
        Species, the Core Rulebooks, etc.) Now, Call of Cthulu, Wheel of
        Time and Star Wars, are all published by WotC, but other licensing
        agreements are involved here. CMP will need to talk with the other
        parties involved (Chaosium, Robert Jordan and LucasFilm respectively)
        to reach a licensing agreement. It is my understanding (and I could
        be mistaken) that CMP will look into those separate licenses, but
        they are more focused on the WotC-only books and retooling eTools.

        Now, to your questions about versions of PCGen and Star Wars. There
        is nothing stopping you in creating your own data files from those
        books, but you can't distribute them. There are numerous editors
        within PCGen to aid in the creating of files.

        Does that help?

        Paul W. King
        OGL/PL SB and BoD
      • jedijorgie
        Message 3 of 9 , May 5 1:07 PM

          > Please read the State of PCGen file that is included when you join
          > the group, or can be found in the Files section of the Y! Group (
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen/files/ ).
          >

          > Now, to your questions about versions of PCGen and Star Wars.
          There
          > is nothing stopping you in creating your own data files from those
          > books, but you can't distribute them. There are numerous editors
          > within PCGen to aid in the creating of files.
          >
          > Does that help?

          I am new to PCGen but have worked in the Software industry and
          understand all the IP issues.

          What I am looking for is some help getting started creating my own
          lst file for Star Wars (D20) based on the revised PHB.

          I have made a couple attempts at starting but I am having trouble
          getting the base files to work properly. Any chance of someone
          linking to a sample pcc and lst files containing just the minimum
          data?

          Thanks!

          jorgie
          --
          jorgie@...
        • Tommy Williams
          Message 4 of 9 , May 5 1:28 PM
            Well, due to the group rules, we can't link to anything we have made, but look at the SRD files to get a good idea of how things are done. I personally have wanted to do SW for my own use as well, but I can't figure out how to the vitality thing.
            > Please read the State of PCGen file that is included when you join
            > the group, or can be found in the Files section of the Y! Group (
            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen/files/ ).
            >

            > Now, to your questions about versions of PCGen and Star Wars.
            There
            > is nothing stopping you in creating your own data files from those
            > books, but you can't distribute them. There are numerous editors
            > within PCGen to aid in the creating of files.
            >
            > Does that help?

            I am new to PCGen but have worked in the Software industry and
            understand all the IP issues.

            What I am looking for is some help getting started creating my own
            lst file for Star Wars (D20) based on the revised PHB.

            I have made a couple attempts at starting but I am having trouble
            getting the base files to work properly. Any chance of someone
            linking to a sample pcc and lst files containing just the minimum
            data?

            Thanks!

            jorgie
            --
            jorgie@...

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Paul W. King
            Message 5 of 9 , May 5 2:10 PM
              > I am new to PCGen but have worked in the Software industry and
              > understand all the IP issues.
              >
              > What I am looking for is some help getting started creating my own
              > lst file for Star Wars (D20) based on the revised PHB.
              >
              > I have made a couple attempts at starting but I am having trouble
              > getting the base files to work properly. Any chance of someone
              > linking to a sample pcc and lst files containing just the minimum
              > data?

              Ah. If you're having *.lst file questions, please relate them to
              this Y! Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGenListFileHelp/

              Also, the documents section of PCGen is pretty good, as is looking at
              current files in the releases.

              Paul W. King
              OGL/PL SB and BoD.
            • Paul W. King
              Message 6 of 9 , May 5 2:11 PM
                > Well, due to the group rules, we can't link to anything we have
                > made, but look at the SRD files to get a good idea of how things
                > are done. I personally have wanted to do SW for my own use as well,
                > but I can't figure out how to the vitality thing.

                The big bummer about VP/WP was that it was supposedly going to be
                released as OGC in the SRD and hasn't yet. Many people, players and
                publishers alike, like that system. Spycraft has it, but they had a
                special agreement with WotC to use it.

                Paul W. King
                OGL/PL SB and BoD
              • karianna03
                Message 7 of 9 , May 5 2:56 PM
                  Hi all,

                  To add to this, I remind the group that they may _not_ ask for links
                  or make requests for files of closed/non permissioned content.

                  Moderator

                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King" <kingpaul@e...> wrote:
                  > > I am new to PCGen but have worked in the Software industry and
                  > > understand all the IP issues.
                  > >
                  > > What I am looking for is some help getting started creating my
                  own
                  > > lst file for Star Wars (D20) based on the revised PHB.
                  > >
                  > > I have made a couple attempts at starting but I am having trouble
                  > > getting the base files to work properly. Any chance of someone
                  > > linking to a sample pcc and lst files containing just the minimum
                  > > data?
                  >
                  > Ah. If you're having *.lst file questions, please relate them to
                  > this Y! Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGenListFileHelp/
                  >
                  > Also, the documents section of PCGen is pretty good, as is looking
                  at
                  > current files in the releases.
                  >
                  > Paul W. King
                  > OGL/PL SB and BoD.
                • jedijorgie
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 5 10:27 PM
                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "karianna03" <MartijnV@d...> wrote:
                    > Hi all,
                    >
                    > To add to this, I remind the group that they may _not_ ask for
                    links
                    > or make requests for files of closed/non permissioned content.

                    That is undersood. I was looking for GENERIC files, with just enough
                    info in them for them to be understood by PCGen. Like a pcc for a
                    fictious company and a fictious book that points to 3 or 4 list files
                    (race, skills, class) which only contain one item each, like myRace,
                    mySkill, myClass. That way I could see what I was doing wrong with my
                    own starter files.

                    Now I off to check out the other list... :)

                    Jorgie
                  • kigmatzomat
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 6 10:05 AM
                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "jedijorgie" <jedijorgie@y...> wrote:
                      > That is undersood. I was looking for GENERIC files, with just enough
                      > info in them for them to be understood by PCGen. Like a pcc for a
                      > fictious company and a fictious book that points to 3 or 4 list files
                      > (race, skills, class) which only contain one item each, like myRace,
                      > mySkill, myClass. That way I could see what I was doing wrong with my
                      > own starter files.

                      Gimme 'til the end of May. Or 2-3 weeks *IF* you are willing to act
                      as proofreader/guinea pig. (The first step on a slippery slope to
                      participating, heh heh heh)

                      I promised to put out a basic LST assembly primer explaining what you
                      absolutely need to have and how they link together by the end of this
                      month as a precusor to the stuff I wanna give out at GenCon. Since
                      demand has grown with 5.0 I guess I might as well get an actual
                      Tracker on this so I don't make the group look bad.

                      Not that my personal "junior tracker monkey scout" Zhacrie's been
                      slacking off ;) He emailed me just this morning to make sure I
                      hadn't forgotten my promise. You just happened to be karma in action.

                      -James McP
                      LST Lemur that needs to keep his mouth shut so he doesn't volunteer
                      for anything else.