RE: LST Editor: Skills

  • Paul Grosse
    Message 1 of 17 , May 1 9:56 AM
      Which brings up a question, can I copy a skill and name it blah.MOD to
      MOD it or can MOD's only be created outside of the prog?

    • merton_monk
      Message 2 of 17 , May 1 9:59 AM
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse" <pgrosse@m...> wrote:
        > Which brings up a question, can I copy a skill and name it blah.MOD
        > MOD it or can MOD's only be created outside of the prog?

        It would be better to create a new skill and name it blah.MOD. Yes,
        you can do that in the lst editor and it would work just like you did
        it yourself. I have MODed Wizard just like that myself. :)

        -Bryan

      • Keith Davies
        Message 3 of 17 , May 1 10:04 AM
          On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 11:50:19AM -0500, Paul Grosse wrote:
          > Okay, the synergy tab threw me for a loop till I figured that it's
          > actually backwards from what I was thinking. My DM has a bunch of
          > specialized categories under several of the knowledge skills, like
          > Arcana, is broken down into each of the schools, and Nature is broke
          > down into Anatomy, Biology etc. Well each of the sub classes give a
          > synergy bonus to a the parent skill. The way the synergy tag is
          > written I can never give a synergy bonus to an existing skill, like
          > Know(Arcana) with out either copying the parent, or making a MOD to
          > it, right? Shouldn't the tag be written so that you add it to the
          > skill that "gives" the synergy bonus instead of the one that
          > "receives" it, that would make it easier to create custom synergy
          > bonuses.

          well, except that it's the 'target skill' that documents the synergy
          bonus.

          What I'd like to see is either breaking synergy bonuses out of the
          skills entirely, as in (greatly abbreviated XML below):

          <skill id="skill.heal" />
          <skill id="skill.herbalism" />

          <synergy target="skill.heal" source="skill.herbalism" />
          <!-- or -->
          <bonus target="skill.heal" source="skill.herbalism" type="synergy" />

          Or, like one person suggested, allow it to be defined in either place
          (to put it in context, IIRC he was talking about assignment of spells to
          class spell lists); you'd end up with:

          <skill id="skill.heal">
          <bonus type="synergy">
          <preskill refid="skill.herbalism" min="5" />
          </bonus>
          </skill>

          <!-- or -->

          <skill id="skill.herbalism">
          <bonus refid="skill.heal" type="synergy">
          <preskill refid="skill.herbalism" min="5" />
          </bonus>
          </skill>

          I'm not satisfied with the latter examples, though. Not only the syntax
          not as elegant as I like, but I don't like being able to define things
          in more than one place. I like simple; if you can define it only in one
          place or one way, it limits the ways things can go wrong.

          Keith
          --
          Keith Davies
          keith.davies@...

          PCGen: <reaper/>, smartass
        • Paul Grosse
          Message 4 of 17 , May 1 11:35 AM
            > From: Paul Grosse [mailto:pgrosse@...]
            >

            > Okay, the synergy tab threw me for a loop till I figured that
            > it's actually backwards from what I was thinking. My DM has a
            > bunch of specialized categories under several of the
            > knowledge skills, like Arcana, is broken down into each of
            > the schools, and Nature is broke down into Anatomy, Biology
            > etc. Well each of the sub classes give a synergy bonus to a
            > the parent skill. The way the synergy tag is written I can
            > never give a synergy bonus to an existing skill, like
            > Know(Arcana) with out either copying the parent, or making a
            > MOD to it, right? Shouldn't the tag be written so that you
            > add it to the skill that "gives" the synergy bonus instead of
            > the one that "receives" it, that would make it easier to
            > create custom synergy bonuses.
            >
            > Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
            > PCGen OGL Gibbon

            Also note that editing the actual LST file and writing the synergy tag
            backwards does NOT add a synergy bonus to the parent skill like one
            would think :(
          • Tir Gwaith
            Message 5 of 17 , May 1 11:42 AM
              > > it, right? Shouldn't the tag be written so that you add it to the
              > > skill that "gives" the synergy bonus instead of the one that
              > > "receives" it, that would make it easier to create custom synergy
              > > bonuses.
              >
              > well, except that it's the 'target skill' that documents the synergy
              > bonus.

              Huh? In either Skill....

              BONUS:SKILL|<name of skill to get teh bonus>|<synergy
              bonus>|TYPE=Synergy.STACK|PRESKILL:1,<name of skill that required ranks
              grant the bonus>=<number of ranks required>

              will work. So I can put
              BONUS:SKILL|MyFirstSkill|2|TYPE=Synergy.STACK|PRESKILL:1,MySecondSkill=5
              In EITHER skill, and it will grant the bonus to MyFirstSkill, so long as I
              have 5 ranks in MySecondSkill.

              Heck, you could move them all to a template if you wanted, that way you
              could easily turn the Synergy bonuses on or off.....

              Tir Gwaith
              PCGen BoD
              Data Silverback
            • Paul Grosse
              Message 6 of 17 , May 1 11:57 AM
                <snip>
                > > it, right? Shouldn't the tag be written so that you add it to the
                > > skill that "gives" the synergy bonus instead of the one that
                > > "receives" it, that would make it easier to create custom synergy
                > > bonuses.
                >
                > well, except that it's the 'target skill' that documents the synergy
                > bonus.

                Huh? In either Skill....

                BONUS:SKILL|<name of skill to get teh bonus>|<synergy
                bonus>|TYPE=Synergy.STACK|PRESKILL:1,<name of skill that required
                ranks
                grant the bonus>=<number of ranks required>

                will work. So I can put
                BONUS:SKILL|MyFirstSkill|2|TYPE=Synergy.STACK|PRESKILL:1,MySecondSkill
                =5
                In EITHER skill, and it will grant the bonus to MyFirstSkill, so long
                as I
                have 5 ranks in MySecondSkill.

                Heck, you could move them all to a template if you wanted, that way
                you
                could easily turn the Synergy bonuses on or off.....

                Tir Gwaith
                PCGen BoD
                Data Silverback
                </snip>

                I tried that Tir, it didn't work for me. Hmm, maybe I have a
                misspelled word somewhere throwing it off

                <start of skill line>
                Knowledge (Arcana: Arcane Magic)<tab>
                KEYSTAT:INT<tab>
                USEUNTRAINED:NO<tab>
                BONUS:SKILL|Knowledge (Arcana)|2|PRESKILL:1,Knowledge (Arcane
                Magic)=5|TYPE=Synergy.STACK<tab>
                TYPE:INTELLIGENCE.KNOWLEDGE.CUSTOM<tab>
                SOURCEPAGE:DPHB, v1.17
                </Skill line>

                Doh! I see my error the 2nd skill is wrong, although does the TYPE
                have to be in the middle? The LST editor puts it at the end of the
                BONUS tag.
              • Keith Davies
                Message 7 of 17 , May 1 12:02 PM
                  On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 01:42:28PM -0500, Tir Gwaith wrote:
                  > > > it, right? Shouldn't the tag be written so that you add it to the
                  > > > skill that "gives" the synergy bonus instead of the one that
                  > > > "receives" it, that would make it easier to create custom synergy
                  > > > bonuses.
                  > >
                  > > well, except that it's the 'target skill' that documents the synergy
                  > > bonus.
                  >
                  > Huh? In either Skill....
                  >
                  > BONUS:SKILL|<name of skill to get teh bonus>|<synergy
                  > bonus>|TYPE=Synergy.STACK|PRESKILL:1,<name of skill that required ranks
                  > grant the bonus>=<number of ranks required>
                  >
                  > will work. So I can put
                  > BONUS:SKILL|MyFirstSkill|2|TYPE=Synergy.STACK|PRESKILL:1,MySecondSkill=5
                  > In EITHER skill, and it will grant the bonus to MyFirstSkill, so long as I
                  > have 5 ranks in MySecondSkill.

                  Ah, okay. I'd only seen it in the target skill and it didn't leap out
                  of the doco at me.

                  Keith
                  --
                  Keith Davies
                  keith.davies@...

                  PCGen: <reaper/>, smartass
                • Daniel Fenwick
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 1 12:44 PM
                    I think this is a simple question. My DM has given everyone in the party
                    who was present for a specific adventure two ranks in a particular skill.
                    How do I add this to the characters?

                    Thanks.

                    Dan
                  • Tommy Williams
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 1 1:09 PM
                      Easiest way would be to manually add 2 points to your skill points at the bottom of the skills tab. Then just add the skill as you normally would, unless its a cross class skill for you. In that case, you'll need to add 4 points.
                      I think this is a simple question. My DM has given everyone in the party
                      who was present for a specific adventure two ranks in a particular skill.
                      How do I add this to the characters?

                      Thanks.

                      Dan

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • Tir Gwaith
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 1 1:16 PM
                        > Doh! I see my error the 2nd skill is wrong, although does the TYPE
                        > have to be in the middle? The LST editor puts it at the end of the
                        > BONUS tag.

                        Nope. The different |TYPE= and |PRExxx are interchangeable (the part up to
                        the bonus formula has to be in order tho). You can only have one TYPE=
                        statement for the bonus, but you can have as many PRExxx statements as you'd
                        like.

                        Tir Gwaith
                        PCGen BoD
                        Data Silverback
                      • merton_monk
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 1 1:18 PM
                          Or you could create a template that has a +2 in each of the specified
                          skills and apply that to each character. Creating this template in
                          the template Lst Editor shouldn't be hard. Manually upping their
                          ranks in the skills tab works, but may cause problems with regards to
                          Max Ranks. You coul create a Custom item that has a +2 in each of the
                          skills and make sure that everyone equips one (make it a non-slot
                          item, like a gold coin)

                          -Bryan

                          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tommy Williams" <aarn_d@h...> wrote:
                          > Easiest way would be to manually add 2 points to your skill points
                          at the bottom of the skills tab. Then just add the skill as you
                          normally would, unless its a cross class skill for you. In that case,
                          you'll need to add 4 points.

                          Service.

                        • Daniel Fenwick
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 1 8:04 PM
                            Thanks for the suggestions. :)

                            Dan
                          • Luc Holland
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 1 8:17 PM
                              Where do I find how PC Gen handles levels for characters? Is it modifiable?

                              TIA,
                              Luc
                            • merton_monk
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 1 9:43 PM
                                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Luc Holland <holland@c...> wrote:
                                > Where do I find how PC Gen handles levels for characters? Is it
                                modifiable?

                                Very modifiable. What about the levels did you want to modify, and
                                for which class(es)?

                                -Bryan

                                > TIA,
                                > Luc
                              • Luc Holland
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 3 9:53 PM
                                  I was wondering (pre-ELH inclusion) how I could get levels 21-24 (or higher)
                                  available for any class, but specifically cleric for 3ed. What files do I
                                  need to look at? I looked at most files and found
                                  PCGen\system\gameModes\DnD\level.lst but in PCGen it won't allow me to add a
                                  level past 20 in a class.

                                  Luc

                                • Tommy Williams
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 5 1:33 PM
                                    To go past level 20, you have to check the "ignore level caps" or somesuch in the house rules section of the options. Unfortunately this will continue the normal BAB and save progression and id NOT ELH compliant.

                                    If you want to code it yourself per ELH rules, send me an email off-list and I'll be glad to help you.
                                    I was wondering (pre-ELH inclusion) how I could get levels 21-24 (or higher)
                                    available for any class, but specifically cleric for 3ed. What files do I
                                    need to look at? I looked at most files and found
                                    PCGen\system\gameModes\DnD\level.lst but in PCGen it won't allow me to add a
                                    level past 20 in a class.

                                    Luc

                                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor