[OT] Re: Some sad news...

  • matt+haffner
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30, 2003
      I just have two blunt things to say (think of it as tough love ;), and it really applies to
      all the CMP players, although it's certainly inspired by #1's recent posts.

      * Can't say this anymore

      > I flat out state these are _my_ opinions.. That this is a post from
      > neither a PCGen nor CMP perspective/position...

      Sad to say, once anyone becomes an owner or part-owner or starts receiving money
      for a product or service, you *can't* take that hat off, especially when you're talking
      about some aspect of your product or service. You can say you are, but you aren't
      really. The hat's always on for the rest of us. Sorry. That's the way business is. It
      sucks, but that's part of the tradeoffs when you're asking for pep's money. And even
      more sucky, the stigma doesn't seem to go away whether you're trying to make
      millions or just trying to get by doing something fun.

      And whether it stroke your ego or pisses you off, the fact is, "Mynex" screams CMP in
      a lot of our minds now. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't be involved in PCGen or
      on this board, it just means that you have to realize that no matter what you say, you
      have an invisible CMP stamped on your forehead. It also doesn't mean you can't speak
      your mind freely. But it does mean that there can be repercussions and responses for
      your business, whether you intended to or not.

      * Get over it.

      If you're having a hard time dealing with these 'whiners' for free stuff over here, just
      wait until you start getting idiotic complaints from the *paying* customers at CMP.
      (Hey, I could even be one of them... :b) You better put that hard hat on a little tighter,
      'cause the expectations there are going to be an order of magnitude higher. Plus
      you've got the eTools crowd who barely knows CMP from Fluid. They have no
      predisposition toward your prior work like we do over here. The fact is, your audience
      is growing fast and will really expand when you put out those first CMP data files.
      Folks are going to be here and on CMP's site who have never been either place before.
      They won't know *anything* about what you've done before and might not even care.

      Personally, although I've had vocal beefs with the model adopted and with WoTC's
      decision on this whole thing before, I want to see you guys succeed if solely for the
      selfish reason that I want to keep using PCGen for *all* my gaming. But, as a paying
      customer down the road who hears from other potential paying customers who don't
      have as strong of desires as I do, or who have other conflicting priorities/principles,
      I'd really recommend cranking up the PR filters another notch or two, especially on
      the personal posts. It's not that *I'd* not like to hear what you have to say, but I'd
      rather not have the fringe interpret it out of context. In the gaming market (from what
      I hear), the fringe may make or break you.

      Good luck.

      mh - ZansForCans

      p.s. If someone feels this is too personal for the board, please feel free to whack it
      and send it directly to the interested parties. Just let me know you've done so. :)
    • Paul
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 30, 2003
        Well ive been gone for a while starting my own business and havent
        gamed in nearly 3 months so I havent used pcgen in that time. I did
        however come here daily to check out Mynex's retorts as I thought he
        had whit and was truly knowledgeable about not just pcgen but
        computers and coding in general. This is sad that a few people cant
        handle his comments. I hope he does come back, and as soon as my
        business is a little better underway I will get back to gaming and of
        course using pcgen that includes paying for the data sets which I
        have no problem doing. I like to think of the data sets like Norton
        Antivirus if you dont renew your license every year which cost about
        35.00 you arent fully covered by their product so what is better
        paying a little for peace of mind or having you a product that works
        but not completely, complaining to Symantec about paying for the
        license wont get you the license for free either. Please come back
        Mynex and wreak some havoc on this board again without you it wont be
        the same.
      • Loyal
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 2003
          It is indeed sad news. However, I can very easily commiserate with
          Mynex as I started ignoring/detesting this Y! group a while back due
          to the whining. And I don't even have any PCGen responsibilities!

          It's actually quite strange that I dropped by the group just in time
          to see this post... oh crappy day *sigh*

          -Loyal

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...>
          wrote:
          > I post the below on behalf of my friend, who has already quit this
          Y! group,

        • ruemere@poczta.onet.pl
          Message 4 of 10 , May 1, 2003
            Mynex, don't give them that satisfaction!

            Please?

            Regards,
            Ruemere