RE: [pcgen] Re: Some sad news...

  • Michael R. Beaver
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30, 2003
      This sucks.....

      *Begins to type, realizes that is will all be deleted by an admin....
      deletes it first*

      this just sucks....

      Beaver

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 30, 2003
        I just have two blunt things to say (think of it as tough love ;), and it really applies to
        all the CMP players, although it's certainly inspired by #1's recent posts.

        * Can't say this anymore

        > I flat out state these are _my_ opinions.. That this is a post from
        > neither a PCGen nor CMP perspective/position...

        Sad to say, once anyone becomes an owner or part-owner or starts receiving money
        for a product or service, you *can't* take that hat off, especially when you're talking
        about some aspect of your product or service. You can say you are, but you aren't
        really. The hat's always on for the rest of us. Sorry. That's the way business is. It
        sucks, but that's part of the tradeoffs when you're asking for pep's money. And even
        more sucky, the stigma doesn't seem to go away whether you're trying to make
        millions or just trying to get by doing something fun.

        And whether it stroke your ego or pisses you off, the fact is, "Mynex" screams CMP in
        a lot of our minds now. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't be involved in PCGen or
        on this board, it just means that you have to realize that no matter what you say, you
        have an invisible CMP stamped on your forehead. It also doesn't mean you can't speak
        your mind freely. But it does mean that there can be repercussions and responses for
        your business, whether you intended to or not.

        * Get over it.

        If you're having a hard time dealing with these 'whiners' for free stuff over here, just
        wait until you start getting idiotic complaints from the *paying* customers at CMP.
        (Hey, I could even be one of them... :b) You better put that hard hat on a little tighter,
        'cause the expectations there are going to be an order of magnitude higher. Plus
        you've got the eTools crowd who barely knows CMP from Fluid. They have no
        predisposition toward your prior work like we do over here. The fact is, your audience
        is growing fast and will really expand when you put out those first CMP data files.
        Folks are going to be here and on CMP's site who have never been either place before.
        They won't know *anything* about what you've done before and might not even care.

        Personally, although I've had vocal beefs with the model adopted and with WoTC's
        decision on this whole thing before, I want to see you guys succeed if solely for the
        selfish reason that I want to keep using PCGen for *all* my gaming. But, as a paying
        customer down the road who hears from other potential paying customers who don't
        have as strong of desires as I do, or who have other conflicting priorities/principles,
        I'd really recommend cranking up the PR filters another notch or two, especially on
        the personal posts. It's not that *I'd* not like to hear what you have to say, but I'd
        rather not have the fringe interpret it out of context. In the gaming market (from what
        I hear), the fringe may make or break you.

        Good luck.

        mh - ZansForCans

        p.s. If someone feels this is too personal for the board, please feel free to whack it
        and send it directly to the interested parties. Just let me know you've done so. :)
      • Paul
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 30, 2003
          Well ive been gone for a while starting my own business and havent
          gamed in nearly 3 months so I havent used pcgen in that time. I did
          however come here daily to check out Mynex's retorts as I thought he
          had whit and was truly knowledgeable about not just pcgen but
          computers and coding in general. This is sad that a few people cant
          handle his comments. I hope he does come back, and as soon as my
          business is a little better underway I will get back to gaming and of
          course using pcgen that includes paying for the data sets which I
          have no problem doing. I like to think of the data sets like Norton
          Antivirus if you dont renew your license every year which cost about
          35.00 you arent fully covered by their product so what is better
          paying a little for peace of mind or having you a product that works
          but not completely, complaining to Symantec about paying for the
          license wont get you the license for free either. Please come back
          Mynex and wreak some havoc on this board again without you it wont be
          the same.
        • Loyal
          Message 4 of 10 , May 1, 2003
            It is indeed sad news. However, I can very easily commiserate with
            Mynex as I started ignoring/detesting this Y! group a while back due
            to the whining. And I don't even have any PCGen responsibilities!

            It's actually quite strange that I dropped by the group just in time
            to see this post... oh crappy day *sigh*

            -Loyal

            wrote:
            > I post the below on behalf of my friend, who has already quit this
            Y! group,

          • ruemere@poczta.onet.pl
            Message 5 of 10 , May 1, 2003
              Mynex, don't give them that satisfaction!

              Please?

              Regards,
              Ruemere