Re: Nationalities WAS Re: [OT] Loremaster vs. Spectral Loremaster

  • Paul Smith
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 30, 2003
      Though there are plenty of descendants elsewhere now, Cherokee
      territory was originally in the USA Southeast. Georgia, the
      Carolinas, and parts of Tennessee and Alabama. There are plenty of
      others, though. Even in the same regions. I'm originally from
      Alabama, and maybe a quarter of the local place names are from the
      names of American Indian tribes. Sylacauga, Tuscaloosa, Talladega,
      Choctaw, Cahaba, Chickasaw, Mobile, Opelika, Tallassee, Tuskegee,
      Wedowee, Wetumpka, etc. These are just the ones with a web presence.
      I'm primarily Scotch/Irish on both sides, with a trace of Cherokee
      and German on one side, and a trace of Cherokee on the other. Since
      several of the above native names have u's, they seem to pass the "u
      test". Even USA has a "u" in it. Americans do understand the use of
      the "u" key, they just show a little moderation with it. ;)

      Paul Smith

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King" <kingpaul@e...> wrote:
      > > All of those nations, with possible exception of Shawnee and
      > > Cherokee (dunno which side of the border they're on) spell
      English
      > > the proper way. :) Use the U.
      >
      > Shawnee and Cherokee are Native American Indian tribes/nations.
      >
      > Paul W. King
      > OGL/PL SB and BoD
    • gilmere97
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 30, 2003
        Where in Alabama? I was born in LA(lower Alabama) and have lived in
        Huntsville since I was 2.

        Waite Dykes
      • cdtaylor_nats
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 30, 2003
          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "gilmere97" <jenni227@c...> wrote:
          > Where in Alabama? I was born in LA(lower Alabama) and have lived in
          > Huntsville since I was 2.
          >
          > Waite Dykes

          I would suggest everyone interested in the use of "U" should read
          Bill Bryson's book "The Mother Tongue".