LST Converter requests

  • Tir Gwaith
    Message 1 of 59 , Apr 29, 2003
      I am going to try to say this once, and if people want to email me about how
      mean and inconsiderate I am, fine. The subject doesn't seem to ever want to
      die.

      We do NOT support 2.7.3 files. They were pulled for a reason - a request
      from a publisher that we go OGL completely, which we have since done. We
      made a deal with WotC, a deal to keep PCGen a viable program, and not
      bankrupt any of the founders of this project.

      Now, fast forward a number of months. These same people have negotiated
      with the publisher to get that material available to the masses again, with
      the blessings of the publisher. That said publisher wants to protect it's
      IP - which makes sense - and blessing free distribution of said hurts their
      ability to protect that IP. They agreed to sell data sets through a
      corporation - not a loose conglomeration of open source programmers. All
      this being a LOT of work on the part of Bryan and Mynex, and supporting help
      from others like Greg (Byngl), Jessica (LST Gopher), and myself.

      Whether or not they agreed to that, whether or not if it is 'fair' or
      whatever from anyone's standpoints, we (the PCGen team that met with AV at
      GenCon) are trustworthy. We agreed to remove distribution and support for
      the non-OGC files already out there. We did that. We also made quite a
      number of LST syntax changes in our move to be totally OGL and d20stl
      complaint. Those syntax changes would kill homebrews that people had
      struggled to create. The LST Converters were born to update the homebrews.
      They were not created to update everyone's old closed content files.

      Since January, I have been hearing more and more requests for LST Converters
      that will do everything from 2.7.3 to current. That would be supporting,
      after a fashion, non-OGC sources we pledged to remove. I have had 3
      requests for conversions of homebrews since January that was for homebrews,
      other than how to do one syntax thing. Two of them weren't broken, but
      weren't doing what the user wanted anymore, and I fixed for them. The third
      was recent, and had to do with PRECLASS, which is being worked on from a
      prettylst.pl standpoint and will be in a LST Converter. The other, more
      numerous, requests I've heard on the lists, and those I get in private, are
      for blanket LST Converters so people can mindlessly update the old 2.7.3
      files. "My Heirophant doesn't work right, can you fix?" Sorry, No. "My FR
      campaign won't load anymore, will you help?" Sorry, No.

      So LST Converters for future major syntax changes will get done to help
      people's homebrews. We aren't going to be making LST converters to convert
      old 2.7.3 files. Anyone that has a homebrew they've done that has remained
      broken after running the LST converter is welcome to ask for help on the
      PcgenListFileHelp group, or email me directly. They get taken care of
      fairly quickly.

      Tir Gwaith
      PCGen BoD
      Data Silverback