RE: [pcgen] [a little ot] encounter ratings

  • The Dustmonger
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
      --- Brass Tilde <brasstilde@...> wrote:
      > Where is that rule? Do you have a book and page?

      Hrm... not readily, it's not where I thought it was,
      but I can verify that WotC modules (like Sunless
      Citadel) stick to it, by my math.

      http://tax.yahoo.com
    • Vance
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
        (one little voice from the sidelines meekly speaks up)
        One note ... Even if what you said is correct, the original question was
        reguarding Experience which is calculated by individual "monster" CR, NOT by
        EL. (DMG page 166, top left corner). The only lines concerning monsters
        below CR1 are in the second column:
        Speaking of Orsc .... CR 1/2 ...
        "For these cases, calculate XP as if the creature were CR 1, then divide the
        result by 2"
        For 1/3 you would divide by 3, etc.

        VR

        > --- Brass Tilde <brasstilde@...> wrote:
        > > Where is that rule? Do you have a book and page?
        >
        > Hrm... not readily, it's not where I thought it was,
        > but I can verify that WotC modules (like Sunless
        > Citadel) stick to it, by my math.
      • Emily Smirle
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
          Vance wrote:
          > (one little voice from the sidelines meekly speaks up)
          > One note ... Even if what you said is correct, the original question was
          > reguarding Experience which is calculated by individual "monster" CR, NOT by
          > EL. (DMG page 166, top left corner).

          DANGER! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

          I asked nothing about experience, as I don't use the experience charts.
          My players go up a level once every five sessions (give or take). Yes,
          this is over twice as fast as the DMG suggests. It's not Hurting Bad
          Fun, however, so I don't care. :)

          All I was looking for was how to calculate Encounter Level, which is a
          reasonable ball-park figure for how tough a given group of critters is.
          I like to start with an 'official' ball-park before I monkey with it for
          situational modifiers (like throwing ghouls and ghasts at a party with
          no clerics, paladins, and one incompetant elf : +2 CR )
          --
          "Is he an evil outsider?"
          "Well, he was one of the loners in evil kindergarten..."
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
            > --- Brass Tilde <brasstilde@...> wrote:
            > > Where is that rule? Do you have a book and page?
            >
            > Hrm... not readily, it's not where I thought it was,
            > but I can verify that WotC modules (like Sunless
            > Citadel) stick to it, by my math.

            If you find it, I'd be interested. The only thing I've ever seen is that
            creatures with a CR below one are combined until they total one. So, four
            1/2 CR Orcs would be treated as two CR 1 creatures, and four CR 1/4
            creatures would be treated as one CR 1 creature. I *think* this is in the
            back of the PHB, in that "mini-DMG" section, but I'll have to check.

            I hope you won't feel too badly about me not paying too much attention to
            the way a module does it. <g/>
          • Vance
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
              > > (one little voice from the sidelines meekly speaks up)
              (and walks away with foot in mouth)
            • The Dustmonger
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                --- Brass Tilde <brasstilde@...> wrote:
                > If you find it, I'd be interested.
                > I hope you won't feel too badly about me not paying
                > too much attention to the way a module does it.

                If I find it I'll let the group know... my roommate's
                car (which I share with him) was broken into, however,
                so I'll be a couple days before I have free time to
                sit down and flip through books.

                And if you can show me a man who runs everything by
                the book, I'll show you a liar :)

                Dusty

                http://tax.yahoo.com
              • Vance
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 3, 2003
                  I run everything by the book!

                  DMG Page 6
                  "You get to decide how the rules work, which rules to use, and how strictly
                  to adhere to them"

                  That's me...