Re: [pcgen] [a little ot] encounter ratings

  • Phantom of Krankor
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
      > Phantom of Krankor wrote:
      > > Personally, I use this
      > > http://www.d20reviews.com/Eric/downloads/Encounter_Calculator.htm
      >
      > Bless you! A thousand times, bless you!
      >
      > It's in javascript! I can see the source, so I can see how he does
      > it! Logical steps! Algorithms! Oh, bless you!
      >
      > *does a little "Hail Greg" dance*

      Ah. Err. Well. I just report the news, I don't make it.

      > Ahem. You know you've been a programmer too long when you have to use
      > a computer algorithm to judge encounter levels.

      And it's easy to edit, too. I've modified it to have more rows than
      come with it. Something about making encounters with 8 different
      monsters... >:)

      -Greg G

      =====
      --
      RPN, the other Gaming Network
      http://rpn.homestead.com

      http://tax.yahoo.com
    • The Dustmonger
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
        --- Brass Tilde <brasstilde@...> wrote:
        > Where is that rule? Do you have a book and page?

        Hrm... not readily, it's not where I thought it was,
        but I can verify that WotC modules (like Sunless
        Citadel) stick to it, by my math.

        http://tax.yahoo.com
      • Vance
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
          (one little voice from the sidelines meekly speaks up)
          One note ... Even if what you said is correct, the original question was
          reguarding Experience which is calculated by individual "monster" CR, NOT by
          EL. (DMG page 166, top left corner). The only lines concerning monsters
          below CR1 are in the second column:
          Speaking of Orsc .... CR 1/2 ...
          "For these cases, calculate XP as if the creature were CR 1, then divide the
          result by 2"
          For 1/3 you would divide by 3, etc.

          VR

          > --- Brass Tilde <brasstilde@...> wrote:
          > > Where is that rule? Do you have a book and page?
          >
          > Hrm... not readily, it's not where I thought it was,
          > but I can verify that WotC modules (like Sunless
          > Citadel) stick to it, by my math.
        • Emily Smirle
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
            Vance wrote:
            > (one little voice from the sidelines meekly speaks up)
            > One note ... Even if what you said is correct, the original question was
            > reguarding Experience which is calculated by individual "monster" CR, NOT by
            > EL. (DMG page 166, top left corner).

            DANGER! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

            I asked nothing about experience, as I don't use the experience charts.
            My players go up a level once every five sessions (give or take). Yes,
            this is over twice as fast as the DMG suggests. It's not Hurting Bad
            Fun, however, so I don't care. :)

            All I was looking for was how to calculate Encounter Level, which is a
            reasonable ball-park figure for how tough a given group of critters is.
            I like to start with an 'official' ball-park before I monkey with it for
            situational modifiers (like throwing ghouls and ghasts at a party with
            no clerics, paladins, and one incompetant elf : +2 CR )
            --
            "Is he an evil outsider?"
            "Well, he was one of the loners in evil kindergarten..."
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
              > --- Brass Tilde <brasstilde@...> wrote:
              > > Where is that rule? Do you have a book and page?
              >
              > Hrm... not readily, it's not where I thought it was,
              > but I can verify that WotC modules (like Sunless
              > Citadel) stick to it, by my math.

              If you find it, I'd be interested. The only thing I've ever seen is that
              creatures with a CR below one are combined until they total one. So, four
              1/2 CR Orcs would be treated as two CR 1 creatures, and four CR 1/4
              creatures would be treated as one CR 1 creature. I *think* this is in the
              back of the PHB, in that "mini-DMG" section, but I'll have to check.

              I hope you won't feel too badly about me not paying too much attention to
              the way a module does it. <g/>
            • Vance
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                > > (one little voice from the sidelines meekly speaks up)
                (and walks away with foot in mouth)
              • The Dustmonger
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                  --- Brass Tilde <brasstilde@...> wrote:
                  > If you find it, I'd be interested.
                  > I hope you won't feel too badly about me not paying
                  > too much attention to the way a module does it.

                  If I find it I'll let the group know... my roommate's
                  car (which I share with him) was broken into, however,
                  so I'll be a couple days before I have free time to
                  sit down and flip through books.

                  And if you can show me a man who runs everything by
                  the book, I'll show you a liar :)

                  Dusty

                  http://tax.yahoo.com
                • Vance
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 3, 2003
                    I run everything by the book!

                    DMG Page 6
                    "You get to decide how the rules work, which rules to use, and how strictly
                    to adhere to them"

                    That's me...