RE: [pcgen] [a little ot] encounter ratings

  • Brass Tilde
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
      > > Personally, I use this
      > > http://www.d20reviews.com/Eric/downloads/Encounter_Calculator.htm
      >
      > Bless you! A thousand times, bless you!
      >
      > It's in javascript! I can see the source, so I can see how he does it!
      > Logical steps! Algorithms! Oh, bless you!

      If that's the same one I was using last year, it uses a formula to calculate
      CR, which periodically came up with some different numbers than the table
      lookup method from the DMG. Close, but not quite identical.

      If you want, I've got a spreadsheet that calculates FR type XP (which I use
      IMC) based on the tables in the DMG. It wouldn't be too hard to modify it
      (or fool it) into doing average party level type XP.
    • Phantom of Krankor
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
        > Phantom of Krankor wrote:
        > > Personally, I use this
        > > http://www.d20reviews.com/Eric/downloads/Encounter_Calculator.htm
        >
        > Bless you! A thousand times, bless you!
        >
        > It's in javascript! I can see the source, so I can see how he does
        > it! Logical steps! Algorithms! Oh, bless you!
        >
        > *does a little "Hail Greg" dance*

        Ah. Err. Well. I just report the news, I don't make it.

        > Ahem. You know you've been a programmer too long when you have to use
        > a computer algorithm to judge encounter levels.

        And it's easy to edit, too. I've modified it to have more rows than
        come with it. Something about making encounters with 8 different
        monsters... >:)

        -Greg G

        =====
        --
        RPN, the other Gaming Network
        http://rpn.homestead.com

        http://tax.yahoo.com
      • The Dustmonger
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
          --- Brass Tilde <brasstilde@...> wrote:
          > Where is that rule? Do you have a book and page?

          Hrm... not readily, it's not where I thought it was,
          but I can verify that WotC modules (like Sunless
          Citadel) stick to it, by my math.

          http://tax.yahoo.com
        • Vance
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
            (one little voice from the sidelines meekly speaks up)
            One note ... Even if what you said is correct, the original question was
            reguarding Experience which is calculated by individual "monster" CR, NOT by
            EL. (DMG page 166, top left corner). The only lines concerning monsters
            below CR1 are in the second column:
            Speaking of Orsc .... CR 1/2 ...
            "For these cases, calculate XP as if the creature were CR 1, then divide the
            result by 2"
            For 1/3 you would divide by 3, etc.

            VR

            > --- Brass Tilde <brasstilde@...> wrote:
            > > Where is that rule? Do you have a book and page?
            >
            > Hrm... not readily, it's not where I thought it was,
            > but I can verify that WotC modules (like Sunless
            > Citadel) stick to it, by my math.
          • Emily Smirle
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
              Vance wrote:
              > (one little voice from the sidelines meekly speaks up)
              > One note ... Even if what you said is correct, the original question was
              > reguarding Experience which is calculated by individual "monster" CR, NOT by
              > EL. (DMG page 166, top left corner).

              DANGER! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

              I asked nothing about experience, as I don't use the experience charts.
              My players go up a level once every five sessions (give or take). Yes,
              this is over twice as fast as the DMG suggests. It's not Hurting Bad
              Fun, however, so I don't care. :)

              All I was looking for was how to calculate Encounter Level, which is a
              reasonable ball-park figure for how tough a given group of critters is.
              I like to start with an 'official' ball-park before I monkey with it for
              situational modifiers (like throwing ghouls and ghasts at a party with
              no clerics, paladins, and one incompetant elf : +2 CR )
              --
              "Is he an evil outsider?"
              "Well, he was one of the loners in evil kindergarten..."
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                > --- Brass Tilde <brasstilde@...> wrote:
                > > Where is that rule? Do you have a book and page?
                >
                > Hrm... not readily, it's not where I thought it was,
                > but I can verify that WotC modules (like Sunless
                > Citadel) stick to it, by my math.

                If you find it, I'd be interested. The only thing I've ever seen is that
                creatures with a CR below one are combined until they total one. So, four
                1/2 CR Orcs would be treated as two CR 1 creatures, and four CR 1/4
                creatures would be treated as one CR 1 creature. I *think* this is in the
                back of the PHB, in that "mini-DMG" section, but I'll have to check.

                I hope you won't feel too badly about me not paying too much attention to
                the way a module does it. <g/>
              • Vance
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                  > > (one little voice from the sidelines meekly speaks up)
                  (and walks away with foot in mouth)
                • The Dustmonger
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                    --- Brass Tilde <brasstilde@...> wrote:
                    > If you find it, I'd be interested.
                    > I hope you won't feel too badly about me not paying
                    > too much attention to the way a module does it.

                    If I find it I'll let the group know... my roommate's
                    car (which I share with him) was broken into, however,
                    so I'll be a couple days before I have free time to
                    sit down and flip through books.

                    And if you can show me a man who runs everything by
                    the book, I'll show you a liar :)

                    Dusty

                    http://tax.yahoo.com
                  • Vance
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 3, 2003
                      I run everything by the book!

                      DMG Page 6
                      "You get to decide how the rules work, which rules to use, and how strictly
                      to adhere to them"

                      That's me...