RE: [pcgen] [a little ot] encounter ratings

  • Brass Tilde
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
      > There's a rule no one has mentioned yet that says CRs
      > less than 3 are added together until you start getting
      > ELs higher than 3.

      Where is that rule? Do you have a book and page?
    • Brass Tilde
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
        > > Personally, I use this
        > > http://www.d20reviews.com/Eric/downloads/Encounter_Calculator.htm
        >
        > Bless you! A thousand times, bless you!
        >
        > It's in javascript! I can see the source, so I can see how he does it!
        > Logical steps! Algorithms! Oh, bless you!

        If that's the same one I was using last year, it uses a formula to calculate
        CR, which periodically came up with some different numbers than the table
        lookup method from the DMG. Close, but not quite identical.

        If you want, I've got a spreadsheet that calculates FR type XP (which I use
        IMC) based on the tables in the DMG. It wouldn't be too hard to modify it
        (or fool it) into doing average party level type XP.
      • Phantom of Krankor
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
          > Phantom of Krankor wrote:
          > > Personally, I use this
          > > http://www.d20reviews.com/Eric/downloads/Encounter_Calculator.htm
          >
          > Bless you! A thousand times, bless you!
          >
          > It's in javascript! I can see the source, so I can see how he does
          > it! Logical steps! Algorithms! Oh, bless you!
          >
          > *does a little "Hail Greg" dance*

          Ah. Err. Well. I just report the news, I don't make it.

          > Ahem. You know you've been a programmer too long when you have to use
          > a computer algorithm to judge encounter levels.

          And it's easy to edit, too. I've modified it to have more rows than
          come with it. Something about making encounters with 8 different
          monsters... >:)

          -Greg G

          =====
          --
          RPN, the other Gaming Network
          http://rpn.homestead.com

          http://tax.yahoo.com
        • The Dustmonger
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
            --- Brass Tilde <brasstilde@...> wrote:
            > Where is that rule? Do you have a book and page?

            Hrm... not readily, it's not where I thought it was,
            but I can verify that WotC modules (like Sunless
            Citadel) stick to it, by my math.

            http://tax.yahoo.com
          • Vance
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
              (one little voice from the sidelines meekly speaks up)
              One note ... Even if what you said is correct, the original question was
              reguarding Experience which is calculated by individual "monster" CR, NOT by
              EL. (DMG page 166, top left corner). The only lines concerning monsters
              below CR1 are in the second column:
              Speaking of Orsc .... CR 1/2 ...
              "For these cases, calculate XP as if the creature were CR 1, then divide the
              result by 2"
              For 1/3 you would divide by 3, etc.

              VR

              > --- Brass Tilde <brasstilde@...> wrote:
              > > Where is that rule? Do you have a book and page?
              >
              > Hrm... not readily, it's not where I thought it was,
              > but I can verify that WotC modules (like Sunless
              > Citadel) stick to it, by my math.
            • Emily Smirle
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                Vance wrote:
                > (one little voice from the sidelines meekly speaks up)
                > One note ... Even if what you said is correct, the original question was
                > reguarding Experience which is calculated by individual "monster" CR, NOT by
                > EL. (DMG page 166, top left corner).

                DANGER! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

                I asked nothing about experience, as I don't use the experience charts.
                My players go up a level once every five sessions (give or take). Yes,
                this is over twice as fast as the DMG suggests. It's not Hurting Bad
                Fun, however, so I don't care. :)

                All I was looking for was how to calculate Encounter Level, which is a
                reasonable ball-park figure for how tough a given group of critters is.
                I like to start with an 'official' ball-park before I monkey with it for
                situational modifiers (like throwing ghouls and ghasts at a party with
                no clerics, paladins, and one incompetant elf : +2 CR )
                --
                "Is he an evil outsider?"
                "Well, he was one of the loners in evil kindergarten..."
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                  > --- Brass Tilde <brasstilde@...> wrote:
                  > > Where is that rule? Do you have a book and page?
                  >
                  > Hrm... not readily, it's not where I thought it was,
                  > but I can verify that WotC modules (like Sunless
                  > Citadel) stick to it, by my math.

                  If you find it, I'd be interested. The only thing I've ever seen is that
                  creatures with a CR below one are combined until they total one. So, four
                  1/2 CR Orcs would be treated as two CR 1 creatures, and four CR 1/4
                  creatures would be treated as one CR 1 creature. I *think* this is in the
                  back of the PHB, in that "mini-DMG" section, but I'll have to check.

                  I hope you won't feel too badly about me not paying too much attention to
                  the way a module does it. <g/>
                • Vance
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                    > > (one little voice from the sidelines meekly speaks up)
                    (and walks away with foot in mouth)
                  • The Dustmonger
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                      --- Brass Tilde <brasstilde@...> wrote:
                      > If you find it, I'd be interested.
                      > I hope you won't feel too badly about me not paying
                      > too much attention to the way a module does it.

                      If I find it I'll let the group know... my roommate's
                      car (which I share with him) was broken into, however,
                      so I'll be a couple days before I have free time to
                      sit down and flip through books.

                      And if you can show me a man who runs everything by
                      the book, I'll show you a liar :)

                      Dusty

                      http://tax.yahoo.com
                    • Vance
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 3, 2003
                        I run everything by the book!

                        DMG Page 6
                        "You get to decide how the rules work, which rules to use, and how strictly
                        to adhere to them"

                        That's me...