Re: [pcgen] [a little ot] encounter ratings

  • Emily Smirle
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
      Phantom of Krankor wrote:

      >>Got a question for the Seething D20 Masses with a gift for math etc.
      >>How do you calculate the Encounter Level of a really mixed encounter?
      >

      > Personally, I use this
      > http://www.d20reviews.com/Eric/downloads/Encounter_Calculator.htm

      Bless you! A thousand times, bless you!

      It's in javascript! I can see the source, so I can see how he does it!
      Logical steps! Algorithms! Oh, bless you!

      *does a little "Hail Greg" dance*

      Ahem. You know you've been a programmer too long when you have to use a
      computer algorithm to judge encounter levels.
      --
      "Is he an evil outsider?"
      "Well, he was one of the loners in evil kindergarten..."
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
        --- "Paul W. King" <kingpaul@...> wrote:
        ...> Don't know if its official, or not, but here's
        how
        > my groups do it.
        >
        > If the party defeats the encounter fully, award XP
        > by adding what the
        > party would get by defeating a 2, 3 and 5 level
        > encounter.
        >
        > Paul W. King
        > OGL/PL SB and BoD

        I belive that that is close to the way you are suppose
        to award experiance as oppose to determine encounter
        level. Officialy I don't believe you have to defeat
        the encounter to get the experiance just encounter it.
        The EL is a tool for GM's to use to determine how
        much of a challenge a group encounter is. As such it
        must be used carefully as the number and power of the
        characters for instance can impact the real vs the
        calculated EL.

        http://platinum.yahoo.com
      • matt+haffner
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King" <kingpaul@e...> wrote:
          > > Example: 4 generic orcs and an orc NPC (3rd level fighter) and an
          > > Ogre NPC (3rd level barbarian)
          > >
          > > A generic orc is CR .5, the orc captain is CR 3, and the ogre thug
          > > is CR 5.
          >
          > Don't know if its official, or not, but here's how my groups do it.
          >
          > If the party defeats the encounter fully, award XP by adding what the
          > party would get by defeating a 2, 3 and 5 level encounter.

          It *is* official. You shouldn't use EL on the XP rewards chart in the DMG. It's intended to be used only for CR and that implies that you do it for each challenge (monster, trap, etc.) in the encounter and add the results together. I

          wrote a long-ish post on another board on why using EL alone breaks down (I can hunt it down if anyone's curious), but I think a short summary is that using EL breaks down quite badly if you have either low-level PCs or a good number of low-level monsters in the encounter with higher-level PCs.

          Always use CR for awarding XP, not EL...

          mh - ZansForCans
        • Brass Tilde
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
            > There's a rule no one has mentioned yet that says CRs
            > less than 3 are added together until you start getting
            > ELs higher than 3.

            Where is that rule? Do you have a book and page?
          • Brass Tilde
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
              > > Personally, I use this
              > > http://www.d20reviews.com/Eric/downloads/Encounter_Calculator.htm
              >
              > Bless you! A thousand times, bless you!
              >
              > It's in javascript! I can see the source, so I can see how he does it!
              > Logical steps! Algorithms! Oh, bless you!

              If that's the same one I was using last year, it uses a formula to calculate
              CR, which periodically came up with some different numbers than the table
              lookup method from the DMG. Close, but not quite identical.

              If you want, I've got a spreadsheet that calculates FR type XP (which I use
              IMC) based on the tables in the DMG. It wouldn't be too hard to modify it
              (or fool it) into doing average party level type XP.
            • Phantom of Krankor
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
                > Phantom of Krankor wrote:
                > > Personally, I use this
                > > http://www.d20reviews.com/Eric/downloads/Encounter_Calculator.htm
                >
                > Bless you! A thousand times, bless you!
                >
                > It's in javascript! I can see the source, so I can see how he does
                > it! Logical steps! Algorithms! Oh, bless you!
                >
                > *does a little "Hail Greg" dance*

                Ah. Err. Well. I just report the news, I don't make it.

                > Ahem. You know you've been a programmer too long when you have to use
                > a computer algorithm to judge encounter levels.

                And it's easy to edit, too. I've modified it to have more rows than
                come with it. Something about making encounters with 8 different
                monsters... >:)

                -Greg G

                =====
                --
                RPN, the other Gaming Network
                http://rpn.homestead.com

                http://tax.yahoo.com
              • The Dustmonger
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                  --- Brass Tilde <brasstilde@...> wrote:
                  > Where is that rule? Do you have a book and page?

                  Hrm... not readily, it's not where I thought it was,
                  but I can verify that WotC modules (like Sunless
                  Citadel) stick to it, by my math.

                  http://tax.yahoo.com
                • Vance
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                    (one little voice from the sidelines meekly speaks up)
                    One note ... Even if what you said is correct, the original question was
                    reguarding Experience which is calculated by individual "monster" CR, NOT by
                    EL. (DMG page 166, top left corner). The only lines concerning monsters
                    below CR1 are in the second column:
                    Speaking of Orsc .... CR 1/2 ...
                    "For these cases, calculate XP as if the creature were CR 1, then divide the
                    result by 2"
                    For 1/3 you would divide by 3, etc.

                    VR

                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                      Vance wrote:
                      > (one little voice from the sidelines meekly speaks up)
                      > One note ... Even if what you said is correct, the original question was
                      > reguarding Experience which is calculated by individual "monster" CR, NOT by
                      > EL. (DMG page 166, top left corner).

                      DANGER! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

                      I asked nothing about experience, as I don't use the experience charts.
                      My players go up a level once every five sessions (give or take). Yes,
                      this is over twice as fast as the DMG suggests. It's not Hurting Bad
                      Fun, however, so I don't care. :)

                      All I was looking for was how to calculate Encounter Level, which is a
                      reasonable ball-park figure for how tough a given group of critters is.
                      I like to start with an 'official' ball-park before I monkey with it for
                      situational modifiers (like throwing ghouls and ghasts at a party with
                      no clerics, paladins, and one incompetant elf : +2 CR )
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                        > --- Brass Tilde <brasstilde@...> wrote:
                        > > Where is that rule? Do you have a book and page?
                        >
                        > Hrm... not readily, it's not where I thought it was,
                        > but I can verify that WotC modules (like Sunless
                        > Citadel) stick to it, by my math.

                        If you find it, I'd be interested. The only thing I've ever seen is that
                        creatures with a CR below one are combined until they total one. So, four
                        1/2 CR Orcs would be treated as two CR 1 creatures, and four CR 1/4
                        creatures would be treated as one CR 1 creature. I *think* this is in the
                        back of the PHB, in that "mini-DMG" section, but I'll have to check.

                        I hope you won't feel too badly about me not paying too much attention to
                        the way a module does it. <g/>
                      • Vance
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                          > > (one little voice from the sidelines meekly speaks up)
                          (and walks away with foot in mouth)
                        • The Dustmonger
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                            --- Brass Tilde <brasstilde@...> wrote:
                            > If you find it, I'd be interested.
                            > I hope you won't feel too badly about me not paying
                            > too much attention to the way a module does it.

                            If I find it I'll let the group know... my roommate's
                            car (which I share with him) was broken into, however,
                            so I'll be a couple days before I have free time to
                            sit down and flip through books.

                            And if you can show me a man who runs everything by
                            the book, I'll show you a liar :)

                            Dusty

                            http://tax.yahoo.com
                          • Vance
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 3, 2003
                              I run everything by the book!

                              DMG Page 6
                              "You get to decide how the rules work, which rules to use, and how strictly
                              to adhere to them"

                              That's me...