Error messages - can't use PCGen

  • feagil123
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2003
      When I tried 4.3.6 and again with 4.3.7, PCGen will work the first
      time I open it, but subsequent uses yield the following error
      message while opening PCGen:

      "Error in MainSource whilst initialising:
      java.lang.NumberFormatException:
      PCGen may not operate correctly as a result of this error."

      PCGen does finish opening, but won't open any pcg files correctly
      after this, even codemonkey.pcg. When I try, I get the following two
      error messages, in order:

      "Error:insufficient campaign information to load character file.
      Method: parseCampaignLines
      Line: N/A

      and

      "Unrecoverable problems occurred while loading this character."

      Arrgg! Can someone help here? This is the first time I've had these
      kinds of problems, and my data files and pcg's have not changed from
      what works fine in 4.3.5. (Which is what I'm actively using right
      now.) I would really like to be able to keep up with the current
      betas. Thanks.

      Paul Smith
    • Kevin Colagio
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 31, 2003
        Just a shot in the dark, but if you brought up a options.ini file from
        a previous version, try renaming that and starting PC Gen again.

        Also, if you installed it over top of an older version, that could do it.

        I'm thinking that something about the options file is causing the
        campaign errors.

        Hope that helps.

        Kevin Colagio
      • feagil123
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 31, 2003
          I do a fresh install in a new directory each time. I have tried the
          old options.ini as well as letting pcgen create a new one with it's
          first use. It may be related, since pcgen does work initially, but
          not after its first use (when it creates options.ini.) It may very
          well be a lst file that it doesn't like. I do usually use the same
          sources for every game we run, so they don't change. I'll try to
          isolate it by loading them one at a time, then saving, exiting and
          try the next, but I do use a lot of sources. Someone more
          knowledgable in code might be able to point me in the right
          direction as to what kind of discrepancy might cause this particular
          kind of error. Can one tell from the error message what was loading
          that had a problem? I can't turn on debug, since it doesn't finish
          opening pcgen.

          I have a lot of custom files, and one of them might be the culprit,
          but without some idea where to look, that's a needle in a haystack.
          If any simian-types have encountered this before, and can point the
          way, a banana might be forthcoming. A nice, big yellow one...

          Paul Smith

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Colagio" <kcolagio@y...> wrote:

          > Just a shot in the dark, but if you brought up a options.ini file
          from
          > a previous version, try renaming that and starting PC Gen again.
          >
          > Also, if you installed it over top of an older version, that could
          do it.

          > I'm thinking that something about the options file is causing the
          > campaign errors.
          >
          > Hope that helps.
          >
          > Kevin Colagio
        • James Dempsey
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 31, 2003
            Paul,

            Custom sources are the most likely causes of the error you have.

            To track it down, try turning off the auto-load sources at startup option. Initially
            you may have to delete your options.ini or at least turn off the auto-load sources
            at startup flag manually in this file.

            Then load each source in turn. When one fails to load, you have your culprit.
            A failure to load may be shown by the error messages you are reciving, or by
            a message to the console, so make sure you have the debug console displayed
            when doing this.

            Cheers,
            James.

            >I do a fresh install in a new directory each time. I have tried the
            >old options.ini as well as letting pcgen create a new one with it's
            >first use. It may be related, since pcgen does work initially, but
            >not after its first use (when it creates options.ini.) It may very
            >well be a lst file that it doesn't like. I do usually use the same
            >sources for every game we run, so they don't change. I'll try to
            >isolate it by loading them one at a time, then saving, exiting and
            >try the next, but I do use a lot of sources. Someone more
            >knowledgable in code might be able to point me in the right
            >direction as to what kind of discrepancy might cause this particular
            >kind of error. Can one tell from the error message what was loading
            >that had a problem? I can't turn on debug, since it doesn't finish
            >opening pcgen.
            >
            >I have a lot of custom files, and one of them might be the culprit,
            >but without some idea where to look, that's a needle in a haystack.
            >If any simian-types have encountered this before, and can point the
            >way, a banana might be forthcoming. A nice, big yellow one...
            >
            >Paul Smith
          • feagil123
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 31, 2003
              Thanks. I had already gotten that far, but the bad source will load
              manually without error messages. At least of the dialog box variety.
              I do see statements in the console when I manually load that pcc
              that resembles the dialog messages (and a lot more of them than the
              small dialog error messages), but no specific lst file or line in
              the pcc is mentioned. It will still cause the error messages when I
              try to open PCGen, though, so it is definitly the culprit. With that
              source not included, pcgen opens and operates sucessfully.

              In what order does pcgen load the lst files specified in the pcc?
              Are they in the order they appear in the pcc? Or, is there some
              arbitrary order that pcgen uses? The last lines in the console
              before the error statements refer to weaponprofs, but there are only
              5 of those, and they have all loaded before the first error
              statement. I suspect pcgen has moved on to the next lst file,
              whatever that may be. I'll try commenting out one line at a time in
              the pcc, but some lst files (mostly related to classes) are
              interdependant, I think. Don't know if that will screw up my attempt
              to narrow this down. Since I didn't use to have this problem, and
              these aren't very recently created files (I made them over a year
              ago), I suspect a depreciated tag, or a tag for which the syntax has
              changed. I regularly use the lst converter to keep my custom data
              current, but it may have missed something or been unable to handle
              one or more of my items. I feel reasonably sure that once I locate
              the problem lst file, I'll be able to resolve it myself.

              Anyway, thanks for the response, and any additional info you guys
              can give me.

              Paul Smith

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jamesd@w...> wrote:
              > Paul,
              >
              > Custom sources are the most likely causes of the error you have.
              >
              > To track it down, try turning off the auto-load sources at startup
              option. Initially
              > you may have to delete your options.ini or at least turn off the
              auto-load sources
              > at startup flag manually in this file.
              >
              > Then load each source in turn. When one fails to load, you have
              your culprit.
              > A failure to load may be shown by the error messages you are
              reciving, or by
              > a message to the console, so make sure you have the debug console
              displayed
              > when doing this.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > James.
              > <snip>
            • feagil123
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 31, 2003
                Here is what I get from the console:

                RANK: 1 GAME: DnD tempGame: DnD
                RANK: 1 GAME: DnD tempGame: DnD
                RANK: 1 GAME: DnD tempGame: DnD
                RANK: 1 GAME: DnD tempGame: DnD
                RANK: 9 GAME: DnD tempGame: DnD
                RANK: 9 GAME: DnD tempGame: DnD
                RANK: 9 GAME: DnD tempGame: DnD
                RANK: 9 GAME: DnD tempGame: DnD
                RANK: 9 GAME: DnD tempGame: DnD
                java.lang.NumberFormatException:
                at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Unknown Source)
                at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Unknown Source)
                at pcgen.persistence.lst.PCClassLoader.parseLine
                (PCClassLoader.java:113)
                at pcgen.persistence.lst.LstSystemLoader.initFile
                (LstSystemLoader.java:1732)
                at pcgen.persistence.lst.LstSystemLoader.initFile
                (LstSystemLoader.java:1378)
                at pcgen.persistence.lst.LstSystemLoader.loadCampaigns
                (LstSystemLoader.java:683)
                at pcgen.persistence.PersistenceManager.loadCampaigns
                (PersistenceManager.java:98)
                at pcgen.gui.MainSource.loadCampaigns(MainSource.java:994)
                at pcgen.gui.MainSource.loadCampaigns_actionPerformed
                (MainSource.java:888)
                at pcgen.gui.MainSource.access$200(MainSource.java:95)
                at pcgen.gui.MainSource$2.actionPerformed
                (MainSource.java:311)
                at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown
                Source)
                at
                javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed
                (Unknown Source)
                at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed
                (Unknown Source)
                at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased
                (Unknown Source)
                at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
                at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown
                Source)
                at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown
                Source)
                at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown
                Source)
                at pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1$WaitCursorEventQueue.dispatchEvent
                (PCGen_Frame1.java:2637)
                at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy
                (Unknown Source)
                at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy
                (Unknown Source)

                Maybe some of you guys can recognize which lst files pcgen is trying
                to handle here. Thanks.

                BTW, go ahead and have a banana.

                Paul Smith
                Not a monkey. (Just looks like one.)
              • Felipe F. Diniz
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "feagil123" <darkmage@t...> wrote:
                  > Here is what I get from the console:
                  >
                  > RANK: 1 GAME: DnD tempGame: DnD
                  > RANK: 1 GAME: DnD tempGame: DnD
                  > RANK: 1 GAME: DnD tempGame: DnD
                  > RANK: 1 GAME: DnD tempGame: DnD
                  > RANK: 9 GAME: DnD tempGame: DnD
                  > RANK: 9 GAME: DnD tempGame: DnD
                  > RANK: 9 GAME: DnD tempGame: DnD
                  > RANK: 9 GAME: DnD tempGame: DnD
                  > RANK: 9 GAME: DnD tempGame: DnD
                  > java.lang.NumberFormatException:
                  > at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Unknown Source)
                  > at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Unknown Source)
                  > at pcgen.persistence.lst.PCClassLoader.parseLine
                  > (PCClassLoader.java:113)
                  > at pcgen.persistence.lst.LstSystemLoader.initFile
                  > (LstSystemLoader.java:1732)
                  >
                  > Maybe some of you guys can recognize which lst files pcgen is
                  trying
                  > to handle here. Thanks.
                  >
                  > BTW, go ahead and have a banana.
                  >
                  > Paul Smith
                  > Not a monkey. (Just looks like one.)

                  Looks like you've got a problem at a class lst file. Can't figure out
                  really which one, but as you already know which pcc it is in, can't
                  be that many files.

                  Felipe
                  - OSCM Gibbon