[Slightly OT] GenCon Indy

  • Paul Grosse
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 31, 2003
      Heylo all, I just thought that I'd mention it even though it's
      somewhat off topic. But I just got back from Indianapolis, we were
      scouting for good places to eat &/or drink and hang out, found a bunch
      of places for my friends. And I also went through the Convention
      Center, and OH MY GOD, that place is huge! like the entire Milwaukee
      center could fit in 1/2 to 1/3 of a single floor!, and there's three
      floors! So there is going to be LOTS of room this year even if there's
      only one floor. :) It's going to be a good move on Peter's part.

      Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
      PCGen OGL Gibbon
      ICQ: 14397299
      AO: Nylan
      Various forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)

      "The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for the human race
      to keep all it's eggs in." - Robert Heinlein
    • Derek J. Balling
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 31, 2003
        On Monday, March 31, 2003, at 09:39 AM, Paul Grosse wrote:
        > Heylo all, I just thought that I'd mention it even though it's
        > somewhat off topic. But I just got back from Indianapolis, we were
        > scouting for good places to eat &/or drink and hang out, found a bunch
        > of places for my friends. And I also went through the Convention
        > Center, and OH MY GOD, that place is huge! like the entire Milwaukee
        > center could fit in 1/2 to 1/3 of a single floor!, and there's three
        > floors! So there is going to be LOTS of room this year even if there's
        > only one floor. :) It's going to be a good move on Peter's part.

        Yeah, the Indy center is huge. I can't wait to go, partly because I
        haven't been to a GenCon since 92 or 93, partly because I used to live
        in Indiana, and have a bunch of friends I haven't seen in years that
        I'm conning into coming into the city to visit. :)

      • will
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 31, 2003
          what part of indiana are you from. i am over at Purdue the only real college in indiana
          On Monday, March 31, 2003, at 09:39 AM, Paul Grosse wrote:
          > Heylo all, I just thought that I'd mention it even though it's
          > somewhat off topic. But I just got back from Indianapolis, we were
          > scouting for good places to eat &/or drink and hang out, found a bunch
          > of places for my friends. And I also went through the Convention
          > Center, and OH MY GOD, that place is huge! like the entire Milwaukee
          > center could fit in 1/2 to 1/3 of a single floor!, and there's three
          > floors! So there is going to be LOTS of room this year even if there's
          > only one floor. :) It's going to be a good move on Peter's part.

          Yeah, the Indy center is huge. I can't wait to go, partly because I
          haven't been to a GenCon since 92 or 93, partly because I used to live
          in Indiana, and have a bunch of friends I haven't seen in years that
          I'm conning into coming into the city to visit. :)

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Cameron Guill
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 31, 2003
            I should be attending GenCon this year. I have never been before so it should be a real experience. Hope to see some of y'all there.

            Arnix (tm)
            Cameron Guill
            Game Designer/Editor
            Alea Publishing Group
            AleaPublishing.com

            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 31, 2003
              On Monday, March 31, 2003, at 09:59 AM, will wrote:

              > what part of indiana are you from. i am over at Purdue the only real
              > college in indiana

              Well, I'm not "from" Indiana, I just "did time" there, living up in
              Fort Wayne for about four years or so.

              The only thing I miss about living there is some of the people I met.
              ;-)

            • Rob Hines Jr.
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 31, 2003
                I've seen the booth layout plans for Gencon in Indy, and all I have to say
                is OMG, bring your wallet.

                It's ironic that the year it comes to Indy is the year I move out of Indy
                to Lafayette though :)

                Rob

                what part of indiana are you from. i am over at Purdue the only real college in indiana
                On Monday, March 31, 2003, at 09:39 AM, Paul Grosse wrote:
                > Heylo all, I just thought that I'd mention it even though it's
                > somewhat off topic. But I just got back from Indianapolis, we were
                > scouting for good places to eat &/or drink and hang out, found a bunch
                > of places for my friends. And I also went through the Convention
                > Center, and OH MY GOD, that place is huge! like the entire Milwaukee
                > center could fit in 1/2 to 1/3 of a single floor!, and there's three
                > floors! So there is going to be LOTS of room this year even if there's
                > only one floor. :) It's going to be a good move on Peter's part.

                Yeah, the Indy center is huge. I can't wait to go, partly because I
                haven't been to a GenCon since 92 or 93, partly because I used to live
                in Indiana, and have a bunch of friends I haven't seen in years that
                I'm conning into coming into the city to visit. :)

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Rob

                ----
                Rob Hines Jr.
                Systems Administrator

                (http://www.geekcode.com)
              • Keith Davies
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 31, 2003
                  On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 10:05:34AM -0500, Cameron Guill wrote:
                  > I should be attending GenCon this year. I have never been before so
                  > it should be a real experience. Hope to see some of y'all there.

                  If I can find a more reasonably-priced place to stay I'll be there. I'm
                  not sinking half the cost of attendance into a room I plan to merely
                  sleep in.

                  Keith
                  --
                  Keith Davies
                  keith.davies@...

                  PCGen: <reaper/>, smartass
                • Cameron Guill
                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 31, 2003
                    Well, my plans are to grab about 4-8 people and split a room. That brings a room into a "reasonnable" (sp?) price. I hope to stay in/extremely near to the con, since driving 20 minutes to a hotel on 2 hours of sleep SUCKS.

                    Arnix (tm)
                    Cameron Guill
                    Game Designer/Editor
                    Alea Publishing Group
                    AleaPublishing.com

                    On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 10:05:34AM -0500, Cameron Guill wrote:
                    > I should be attending GenCon this year. I have never been before so
                    > it should be a real experience. Hope to see some of y'all there.

                    If I can find a more reasonably-priced place to stay I'll be there. I'm
                    not sinking half the cost of attendance into a room I plan to merely
                    sleep in.

                    Keith
                    --
                    Keith Davies
                    keith.davies@...

                    PCGen: <reaper/>, smartass

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • David
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 31, 2003
                      Do what I am planning (if I can get the time off from work), and that is
                      campout. $7 a night (including the $2 shower fee!), and I'll bring a
                      cooler with breakfast and dinner food. The biggest cost will most likely
                      be parking in downtown Indy,

                      -- david

                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 31, 2003
                        On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 05:06:04PM -0500, David wrote:
                        > Do what I am planning (if I can get the time off from work), and that
                        > is campout. $7 a night (including the $2 shower fee!), and I'll bring
                        > a cooler with breakfast and dinner food. The biggest cost will most
                        > likely be parking in downtown Indy,

                        Heh, there's a thought. Instead of flying down, I'll just ask my folks
                        if I can borrow the truck and ' trailer, spend several days driving
                        across the continent, and camp out.

                        Probably less cost-effective (especially after factoring in the time I
                        lose from work), but possibly a lot more fun. Bring the wife and
                        kids... this has possibilities.

                        And y'know, the toughest part would be getting that much time off
                        work....

                        Keith
                        --
                        Keith Davies
                        keith.davies@...

                        PCGen: <reaper/>, smartass
                      • David
                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 31, 2003
                          It's only 750 miles for me, about 12 hours drive. I figure drive down
                          Thursday, con Friday & Saturday, and drive back Sunday. Heh, my kids are
                          out on there own, and my wife will be in Duluth Mn during that time
                          visiting her dad, so it's just me,

                          -- david

                          Hmm, camp 21, lunch (Fri/Sat) 30, gas 200 (ugh), con 40 +spending, say
                          $500

                          > On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 05:06:04PM -0500, David wrote:
                          > > Do what I am planning (if I can get the time off from
                          > work), and that
                          > > is campout. $7 a night (including the $2 shower fee!), and
                          > I'll bring
                          > > a cooler with breakfast and dinner food. The biggest cost will most
                          > > likely be parking in downtown Indy,
                          >
                          > Heh, there's a thought. Instead of flying down, I'll just
                          > ask my folks if I can borrow the truck and ' trailer, spend
                          > several days driving across the continent, and camp out.
                          >
                          > Probably less cost-effective (especially after factoring in
                          > the time I lose from work), but possibly a lot more fun.
                          > Bring the wife and kids... this has possibilities.
                        • bd_92
                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 31, 2003
                            screw that:

                            planet ticket $150
                            hotel:$350
                            gencon pass:$50

                            having your own bed, shower, and hotel room within walking distance
                            of gencon: priceless

                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Keith Davies <keith.davies@k...> wrote:
                            > On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 05:06:04PM -0500, David wrote:
                            > > Do what I am planning (if I can get the time off from work), and
                            that
                            > > is campout. $7 a night (including the $2 shower fee!), and I'll
                            bring
                            > > a cooler with breakfast and dinner food. The biggest cost will
                            most
                            > > likely be parking in downtown Indy,
                            >
                            > Heh, there's a thought. Instead of flying down, I'll just ask my
                            folks
                            > if I can borrow the truck and ' trailer, spend several days driving
                            > across the continent, and camp out.
                            >
                            > Probably less cost-effective (especially after factoring in the
                            time I
                            > lose from work), but possibly a lot more fun. Bring the wife and
                            > kids... this has possibilities.
                            >
                            > And y'know, the toughest part would be getting that much time off
                            > work....
                            >

                            > Keith
                            > --
                            > Keith Davies
                            > keith.davies@k...
                            >
                            > PCGen: <reaper/>, smartass
                            > "You just can't argue with a moron. It's like handling Nuclear
                            > waste. It's not good, it's not evil, but for Christ's sake, don't
                          • David
                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 31, 2003
                              Heh... You forgot food, cab, and spending money...

                            • Chris J. Whitcomb
                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 31, 2003
                                From: "bd_92" <bd_92@...>

                                > screw that:
                                >
                                > planet ticket $150

                                Planet? You can buy worlds for only $150??? Wow! Where'd you get this
                                deal? I want my own planet!! B-)

                                Chris J. Whitcomb
                                "I try to keep an open mind, but my brain keeps falling out!"

                                ---
                              • Rob Hines Jr.
                                Message 15 of 29 , Mar 31, 2003
                                  I like mine better:

                                  Gas: $25
                                  Hotel: Free
                                  Gencon pass: Free

                                  It was funny a couple years ago, I spent $3.75 for the toll charges to
                                  dial up with and get online, but then I didn't have to pay for gas.
                                  Everything else was whatever I wanted to spend on food and toys.

                                  I highly recommend joining a judging group and volunteering, BTW.

                                  Rob

                                  On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, bd_92 wrote:

                                  screw that:

                                  planet ticket $150
                                  hotel:$350
                                  gencon pass:$50

                                  having your own bed, shower, and hotel room within walking distance
                                  of gencon: priceless

                                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Keith Davies <keith.davies@k...> wrote:
                                  > On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 05:06:04PM -0500, David wrote:
                                  > > Do what I am planning (if I can get the time off from work), and
                                  that
                                  > > is campout. $7 a night (including the $2 shower fee!), and I'll
                                  bring
                                  > > a cooler with breakfast and dinner food. The biggest cost will
                                  most
                                  > > likely be parking in downtown Indy,
                                  >
                                  > Heh, there's a thought. Instead of flying down, I'll just ask my
                                  folks
                                  > if I can borrow the truck and ' trailer, spend several days driving
                                  > across the continent, and camp out.
                                  >
                                  > Probably less cost-effective (especially after factoring in the
                                  time I
                                  > lose from work), but possibly a lot more fun. Bring the wife and
                                  > kids... this has possibilities.
                                  >
                                  > And y'know, the toughest part would be getting that much time off
                                  > work....
                                  >

                                  > Keith
                                  > --
                                  > Keith Davies
                                  > keith.davies@k...
                                  >
                                  > PCGen: <reaper/>, smartass
                                  > "You just can't argue with a moron. It's like handling Nuclear
                                  > waste. It's not good, it's not evil, but for Christ's sake, don't

                                  Rob

                                  ----
                                  Rob Hines Jr.
                                  Systems Administrator

                                  (http://www.geekcode.com)
                                • Paul M. Lambert
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 31, 2003
                                    On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Rob Hines Jr. wrote:

                                    > I like mine better:
                                    >
                                    > Gas: $25
                                    > Hotel: Free
                                    > Gencon pass: Free
                                    >
                                    > It was funny a couple years ago, I spent $3.75 for the toll charges to
                                    > dial up with and get online, but then I didn't have to pay for gas.
                                    > Everything else was whatever I wanted to spend on food and toys.
                                    >
                                    > I highly recommend joining a judging group and volunteering, BTW.
                                    >
                                    > Rob

                                    This is why I have never been to GenCon:

                                    Airfare: $250
                                    Hotel: $350
                                    Pass: $55
                                    Beer: $150
                                    Food: $250
                                    Products I Didn't Know I _NEEDED_ Until I Went to Their Booth: $6,249.00

                                    Ain't no way. Not for a while. :-)

                                    Well, okay, this SoCal GenCon is looking interesting... I can drive
                                    there. And I have a friend nearby I can stay with. :-)

                                    --plambert
                                  • Thatcher
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Mar 31, 2003
                                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Hines Jr." <rook-yahoogroups@i...>
                                      wrote:
                                      > I like mine better:
                                      >
                                      > Gas: $25
                                      > Hotel: Free
                                      > Gencon pass: Free
                                      >
                                      > It was funny a couple years ago, I spent $3.75 for the toll charges
                                      > dial up with and get online, but then I didn't have to pay for gas.
                                      > Everything else was whatever I wanted to spend on food and toys.
                                      >
                                      > I highly recommend joining a judging group and volunteering, BTW.
                                      >
                                      > Rob

                                      The amount of time you need to spend in order to get a free room and
                                      pass to the con really outweighs the benefits of getting some things
                                      free. I looked into it but I didn't want to spend 90% of the con
                                      running games since this would be my first time there.

                                      Knightcrawler
                                      LST Chimp
                                    • Rob Hines Jr.
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Mar 31, 2003
                                        Our group runs 20-25 hours, on average, per person of events during Gencon
                                        over the four days we're there. That gets seven badges, and a couple free
                                        rooms. I'm okay with that. The people who go to Gencon like what we do,
                                        and I never think I work too hard...

                                        Of course we run Car Wars, and the Diplomacy tourney, and a bunch of other
                                        stuff, but it's all good.

                                        It's a fair trade off for me.

                                        wrote:
                                        > I like mine better:
                                        >
                                        > Gas: $25
                                        > Hotel: Free
                                        > Gencon pass: Free
                                        >
                                        > It was funny a couple years ago, I spent $3.75 for the toll charges
                                        > dial up with and get online, but then I didn't have to pay for gas.
                                        > Everything else was whatever I wanted to spend on food and toys.
                                        >
                                        > I highly recommend joining a judging group and volunteering, BTW.
                                        >
                                        > Rob

                                        The amount of time you need to spend in order to get a free room and
                                        pass to the con really outweighs the benefits of getting some things
                                        free. I looked into it but I didn't want to spend 90% of the con
                                        running games since this would be my first time there.

                                        Knightcrawler
                                        LST Chimp

                                        Rob

                                        ----
                                        Rob Hines Jr.
                                        Systems Administrator

                                        (http://www.geekcode.com)
                                      • Hugo
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Mar 31, 2003
                                          wrote:
                                          > Of course we run Car Wars, and the Diplomacy tourney, and a bunch
                                          of other
                                          > stuff, but it's all good.

                                          Ahhh, Car Wars. Nice flashback to the eighties. Great game and
                                          something that greatly benefits from having a "car generator". If
                                          pcgen could become generic enough to handle Car Wars, I would be
                                          truly impressed. Ahhh, the memories...

                                          Hugo
                                          LST Chimp stuck in the body of Saguinus Imperator
                                        • Paul W. King
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Apr 1, 2003
                                            > Planet? You can buy worlds for only $150??? Wow! Where'd you get
                                            > this deal? I want my own planet!! B-)

                                            Ah, but that is in Intergalactic dollars, which has a conversion rate
                                            of $1 IG = $1,000,000,000 US ;)

                                            Paul W. King
                                            OGL/PL SB and BoD
                                          • Cameron Guill
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Apr 1, 2003
                                              I'm planning to do:
                                              drive with 4 people ($20 gas each)
                                              Room with 4+ people ($150 each)
                                              Ticket ($55)
                                              Food ($250)
                                              Spending ($250)

                                              Granted I have never been to GenCon before, but this seems like a reasonable amount of spending money. Anyone who has been have any suggestions? Too much? Too little?

                                              Arnix (tm)
                                              Cameron

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Apr 1, 2003
                                                On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 01:01:26PM +0000, Paul W. King wrote:
                                                > > Planet? You can buy worlds for only $150??? Wow! Where'd you get
                                                > > this deal? I want my own planet!! B-)
                                                >
                                                > Ah, but that is in Intergalactic dollars, which has a conversion rate
                                                > of $1 IG = $1,000,000,000 US ;)

                                                That's still a hell of a good deal.

                                                Hey! Maybe if we all save up, and add it to what he's already got,
                                                Gates'll *leave*!

                                                I mean, for some things I match what my kids put toward them. Can we
                                                help him buy his own planet so he'll go away?

                                                Keith
                                                --
                                                Keith Davies
                                                keith.davies@...

                                                PCGen: <reaper/>, smartass
                                              • Paul Grosse
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Apr 1, 2003
                                                  <snip>
                                                  Heh... You forgot food, cab, and spending money...
                                                  </snip>

                                                  You do not need a cab for anywhere in Indy, there are hotel shuttles
                                                  from the airport (if one isn't there waiting you can call and they
                                                  will send it), and EVERYTHING downtown is with in 4 blocks of the
                                                  convention center. I'll have a quick summary of my visit and what I
                                                  thought of several of the restaurants/pubs/clubs downtown posted
                                                  tonight on http://www.geocities.com/nylanfs

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Apr 1, 2003
                                                    Does anyone have hotel reservation yet? The "officail" site sort of lacks info. Or maybe I just don't know enough about Indy to realize that the info is helpful. Anyway, anyone have the number or sontact info for the main hotel? I need to get reservations ASAP.

                                                    Arnix (tm)
                                                    Cameron

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Apr 1, 2003
                                                      I'm pretty sure you have to go through convention housing. Check the
                                                      Gencon site. As I recall, they pretty much lock up all the close hotels.

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Apr 1, 2003
                                                        Just purchase your convention tickets and they e-mail you the information on the hotels. I signed up in Feb, I think.
                                                        Cameron Guill <cguill@...> wrote:Does anyone have hotel reservation yet? The "officail" site sort of lacks info. Or maybe I just don't know enough about Indy to realize that the info is helpful. Anyway, anyone have the number or sontact info for the main hotel? I need to get reservations ASAP.

                                                        Arnix (tm)
                                                        Cameron

                                                      • Paul Grosse
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Apr 1, 2003
                                                          <snip>
                                                          Does anyone have hotel reservation yet? The "officail" site sort of
                                                          lacks info. Or maybe I just don't know enough about Indy to realize
                                                          that the info is helpful. Anyway, anyone have the number or sontact
                                                          info for the main hotel? I need to get reservations ASAP.

                                                          Arnix (tm)
                                                          Cameron
                                                          </snip>

                                                          Cameron, when you buy your badges they will send you a link to a
                                                          Passkey site with a code, you enter that code and you get all the
                                                          options for hotels. If you go to www.indy.org but all the basic rooms
                                                          for that weekend are reserved for the GenCon pre-reg's. So just
                                                          Purchase your badges and you will be all set. And a quick note it's
                                                          cheaper to buy a badge for the whole thing if you are going to be
                                                          there 3 out of the 4 days.

                                                          Paul Grosse
                                                          Head Draftsman
                                                          Royale Coach
                                                          1330 Wade Dr.
                                                          Elkhart, IN 46514
                                                          PH: (574) 262-9278
                                                          Fax: (574) 266-3658
                                                        • Cameron Guill
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Apr 1, 2003
                                                            Thanks. I did see that in order to reserve a room you have to preregister. So I guess that would be the first step.

                                                            "Convention Gaming, one step at a time..."

                                                            Arnix (tm)
                                                            Cameron

                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Apr 1, 2003
                                                              Thanks. I will send off my Pre-Reg tonight or tomorrow. After that I guess, i will make a decision on a hotel spot. Anyone have a suggestion out of the available attached hotels? Most hotels at that price are about the same, but you never can tell.

                                                              I am planning on the full 4 days.

                                                              Cameron