Re: [pcgen] Re: [CMP] Rough pricing ideas

  • John Rudd
    Message 1 of 88 , Mar 1, 2003
      > From: "merton_monk <merton_monk@...>" <merton_monk@...>
      >
      > Good question - the Everything Bundle is Everything that's named in
      > the list. As new things are added that price would likely change,
      > but the idea of being able to get everything that's ever released
      > for a single upfront-price is appealing. That would simply be hard
      > to gauge a value for since we don't have any control over what
      > additional books Wotc puts out. Hmmm... we'll have to discuss this -
      > but we'd definitely want to give discounts or some other perk to
      > those who have purchased a bundle that gets an addition down the
      > road.

      (most of my message is based upon my impression of something Mynex
      said about not having a subscription model ... I think he said, or
      maybe I just inferred, that you pay for product X's lst file once,
      and you get free updates on it that product's lst file for ever.)

      I have a slightly different question. If the data files are going
      to be supported forever, and there's no subscription model ... how
      are you going to pay WotC to keep your license in long run? Is
      your agreement with them on a per-sale basis with no yearly fee?
      It would seem odd to me that there's no yearly license fee seperate
      from any per-sale royalty.

      If there is a yearly license fee, then I am concerned about what this
      will do for CMP's long term viability. Sure, I like getting a long
      term "free ride". I singed up for a lifetime Tivo subscription,
      afterall. But they aren't paying license fees, and they have other
      ways of keeping their revenue stream going. With CMP, I would rather
      not see this turn in to a short term event that runs out of steam
      because it has run out of money. Which is to say "if CMP has to pay
      WotC a yearly license, then I would rather have to pay the yearly
      subscription, to help CMP keep up with that license fee, than not".

      The other thought I had was about the Everything bundle as it grows.
      (which is why I quoted the above material). Why not have something
      called an "everything upgrade plan", which constantly upgrades itself?
      Meaning that as a new WotC product comes out, the customer pays CMP
      the difference between what they had paid "for everything" last time
      and what the new price of the everything bundle is? So, if the current
      price is $90, and after a new few things come out it jumps up to $98,
      then people with the "everything upgrade plan" would only pay $8.

      Another thought would be to have a subscription model just for the
      everything upgrade (instead of one for every little package). You
      pay less up front (say, half of the current everything bundle price),
      but you pay every month/quarter/year a fixed amount (perhaps $2 to $4
      per month? $5 to $10 per quarter? $16 to $32 per year? which works
      out to "the longer the commitment, the less the per montly fee").
      And then, for as long as you're subscribed, you get whatever new thing
      gets added to the everything bundle. This concentrates more on the
      long term financial concern and less on the short term.

      Those are just my thoughts. If you don't have a yearly license fee
      with WotC, then the "pay once, always get the updates for that product"
      thing mostly works as it is ... though the "upgrade plan" would still
      be nice. (the upgrade plan idea probably works for any of the themed
      bundles, actually -- as you add new things to the Players Bundle, people
      who already have the players bundle would jsut pay the difference, for
      example)
    • Thatcher <magus_knightcrawler@hotmail.co
      Message 88 of 88 , Mar 3, 2003
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "gjorbjond <crgriffin@a...>"
        <crgriffin@a...> wrote:
        > Just a suggestion, but my DMs pretty much have all of the source
        books
        > and allow you to pull from them, but they don't have any of the
        > modules, as they run their own home-brew campaigns. Therefore an
        > "Everything but the Modules" set would be ideal for me.
        >
        > Also, how will the stuff from WotC's web page be handled?
        >
        > How about 3.5e? I'm assuming that will be a seperate deal once it
        > comes out.

        As stated earlier. There will most likely be two SRD files. One for
        3.0 and one for 3.5 brcause not everyone is going to upgrade to 3.5.
        Also CMP should have the full datasets for 3.5 for sale.

        Knightcrawler
        LST Howler Monkey