[BUG] Armor proficiency

  • Dekker <dekker500@vif.com>
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1 9:53 AM
      Using PCGen 4.3.3

      I created a 1st level fighter then switched to the Inventory tab.
      Under the Armor entries, absolutely EVERY type of armor is red and
      giving me an error of PROFICIENT:N.

      I checked my feats, and I have all 3 types of armor proficiency.

      Any thoughts??

      Dekker500
    • kkoelle
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 8 4:55 AM
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Dekker <dekker500@v...>"
        <dekker500@v...> wrote:
        > Using PCGen 4.3.3
        >
        > I created a 1st level fighter then switched to the Inventory tab.
        > Under the Armor entries, absolutely EVERY type of armor is red and
        > giving me an error of PROFICIENT:N.
        >
        > I checked my feats, and I have all 3 types of armor proficiency.
        >
        > Any thoughts??
        >
        > Dekker500

        I searched for an answer to this bug, and didn't find one. If one has
        been posted, I apologize, but I ran into the same issue - entered a
        barbarian, he shows light armor and medium armor proficiency, but all
        armor types on equipment list are Nonproficient red and it won't
        adjust his AC (although it will let me buy them and equip them as
        Armor (?)). I upgraded from 4.3.3 to 4.3.4 in the hopes that would
        take care of it, and it didn't - same problem still exists. I am far
        from a code monkey, but if someone can walk me through a fix, I can
        manage that much... Thanks in advance.

        Karl
      • kriskelly_uk
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 8 5:01 AM
          If you converted your lists, this may be because of a change in the
          way the Armor proficiency feats are done.
          Check your feats list and ensure that each armor proficiency feat has:
          AUTO:ARMORPROF|TYPE=Heavy
          (or Light, or Medium depending on the proficiency)

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "kkoelle" <kkoelle@k...> wrote:
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Dekker <dekker500@v...>"
          > <dekker500@v...> wrote:
          > > Using PCGen 4.3.3
          > >
          > > I created a 1st level fighter then switched to the Inventory
          tab.
          > > Under the Armor entries, absolutely EVERY type of armor is red
          and
          > > giving me an error of PROFICIENT:N.
          > >
          > > I checked my feats, and I have all 3 types of armor proficiency.
          > >
          > > Any thoughts??
          > >
          > > Dekker500
          >
          > I searched for an answer to this bug, and didn't find one. If one
          has
          > been posted, I apologize, but I ran into the same issue - entered a
          > barbarian, he shows light armor and medium armor proficiency, but
          all
          > armor types on equipment list are Nonproficient red and it won't
          > adjust his AC (although it will let me buy them and equip them as
          > Armor (?)). I upgraded from 4.3.3 to 4.3.4 in the hopes that would
          > take care of it, and it didn't - same problem still exists. I am
          far
          > from a code monkey, but if someone can walk me through a fix, I can
          > manage that much... Thanks in advance.
          >
          > Karl
        • kkoelle
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 9 6:04 AM
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "kriskelly_uk" <kriskell@h...> wrote:
            > If you converted your lists, this may be because of a change in the
            > way the Armor proficiency feats are done.
            > Check your feats list and ensure that each armor proficiency feat
            has:
            > AUTO:ARMORPROF|TYPE=Heavy
            > (or Light, or Medium depending on the proficiency)
            >
            > -

            I'm sorry to be stupid, but I don't know how to do that - when I go
            into Tools/List editors/Feats, I can select the armor proficiency
            feats (or any others), then copy them, but I don't see any such code.
            I assume I'm in completely the wrong place... Sorry again, but any
            help/advice would be appreciated.

            -- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "kkoelle" <kkoelle@k...> wrote:
            > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Dekker <dekker500@v...>"
            > > <dekker500@v...> wrote:
            > > > Using PCGen 4.3.3
            > > >
            > > > I created a 1st level fighter then switched to the Inventory
            > tab.
            > > > Under the Armor entries, absolutely EVERY type of armor is red
            > and
            > > > giving me an error of PROFICIENT:N.
            > > >
            > > > I checked my feats, and I have all 3 types of armor proficiency.
            > > >
            > > > Any thoughts??
            > > >
            > > > Dekker500
            > >
            > > I searched for an answer to this bug, and didn't find one. If one
            > has
            > > been posted, I apologize, but I ran into the same issue - entered
            > > barbarian, he shows light armor and medium armor proficiency, but
            > all
            > > armor types on equipment list are Nonproficient red and it won't
            > > adjust his AC (although it will let me buy them and equip them as
            > > Armor (?)). I upgraded from 4.3.3 to 4.3.4 in the hopes that
            would
            > > take care of it, and it didn't - same problem still exists. I am
            > far
            > > from a code monkey, but if someone can walk me through a fix, I
            can
            > > manage that much... Thanks in advance.
            > >
            > > Karl
          • Kris Kelly
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 9 8:38 AM
              Ufortunately, I don't think the lst editor lets you change pre-
              existing feats, what you will have to do is edit it manually using
              notepad.

              from your PCGEN directory, go to either:

              data\d20ogl\srd

              or

              data\wotc\sourcebooks\dungeonsanddragons\core\playershandbook

              depending on the version your data files came from.

              Next, double-click the file named either srdfeats.lst or
              playershbfeats.lst

              you should then get a large list of feats. near the top will be the
              armour proficiency feats.
              somewhere in the line for each feat, you need to enter
              AUTO:ARMORPROF|TYPE=Heavy
              (using tabs as spacing)
              remember to change the TYPE part for each of the proficiencies.

            • Kris Kelly
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 9 8:41 AM
                (remember to disable word wrap) otherwise it will be really hard to
                follow.

                sorry, when you double-click the file, if you have not set windows up
                to open lst's in notepad, it will prompt for the program to open it
                with, choose notepad.

              • kkoelle
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 10 4:29 AM
                  Kris, thanks for your help and patience. That fixed it. For the
                  record, the SRD file was correct, it was the playershbfeats.lst file
                  that was missing the info. Thanks again!!!

                  Karl

                • Dekker
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 10 11:43 AM
                    What I would really like to know is how someone found my email in the
                    first place ;) When I first posted the problem, everyone was in a
                    huff over CMP, and it got lost in the trail of emails, with
                    absolutely no answers. Now, a week or so later, it finally gets
                    answered.. ;)

                    At least it wasn't forgotten! <grin>

                    Dekker

                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Kris Kelly" <kriskell@h...> wrote:
                    > (remember to disable word wrap) otherwise it will be really hard to
                    > follow.
                    >
                    > sorry, when you double-click the file, if you have not set windows
                    up
                    > to open lst's in notepad, it will prompt for the program to open it
                    > with, choose notepad.

                    <lots of snips>

                    <more snips>