Fractional BAB/Saves

  • Brian McDaniel <bmcdaniel@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2003
      W use fractional BAB and saves in our game. In other words, classes
      with less than full progression get a fraction every level rather
      than getting 0 (round down). Same thing for saves, except that a
      character only gets the +2 bonus for good saves at 1st character
      level.

      This only has an impact on multiclassed characters.

      E.g. a cleric1/rogue1 would have a BAB of +1 (.75+.75=1.5) and saves
      of Fort +2/Ref +0/Will +2.

      My question of course, is can this be implemented in PCGen. I've
      poked around the files and I understand basic LST sytnax, but I can't
      figure out where to start on this basic question.

      BMM
    • Paul W. King <kingpaul@erie.net>
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2003
        > My question of course, is can this be implemented in PCGen. I've
        > poked around the files and I understand basic LST sytnax, but I
        > can't figure out where to start on this basic question.

        This isn't a bad question, as Sean K. Reynolds has opened up a
        Fractional Spellcasting Advancement concept (
        http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/misc/fractionalspellcasting_adv.
        html )

        Paul W. King
        OGL Gibbon
      • Tir Gwaith
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2003
          Begin automated response.........

          Karianna has asked that all LST questions go to PCGenListFileHelp
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGenListFileHelp/
          to help reduce the noise ratio here on the main list.

          Thanks.

          End automated response.............

          Plus, I know I answered that question within the last month....

          Tir Gwaith
          PCGen BoD
          Data Silverback
        • merton_monk <merton_monk@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2003
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King <kingpaul@e...>"

            .
            > html )

            Interesting. Right now everything is done in terms of truncating
            (losing all fractions). It actually wouldn't be that hard to turn
            the truncating off, but it'd be turned off for everything (saves,
            BAB, and anything else). Maybe we'd want to specify a precision as
            well? You wouldn't want a BAB of 3.666666 displayed on your
            character sheet if the truncating was turned off, would you? ;)

            Bryan McRoberts
            Benevolent Dictator of PCGen

            > Paul W. King
            > OGL Gibbon
          • Tir Gwaith
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2003
              >Interesting. Right now everything is done in terms of truncating
              >(losing all fractions). It actually wouldn't be that hard to turn
              >the truncating off, but it'd be turned off for everything (saves,
              >BAB, and anything else). Maybe we'd want to specify a precision as
              >well? You wouldn't want a BAB of 3.666666 displayed on your
              >character sheet if the truncating was turned off, would you? ;)
              >
              >Bryan McRoberts
              >Benevolent Dictator of PCGen

              NOOOOOOOO!!!! Please? That would really require a LOT of data changes.... And just for one alternate option?

              There is way to do what they want using DEFINEs and nice little formulas, as simple as *4, and later a /4.. Actually simple with a .MOD (a group I played with last month needed it, so I coded it up really quickly for them.)

              I explained it on one of the lists. IF it becomes a demand, I'll make up a document explaining how to do it, or get another LST Monkey to. :) For now, dig through the archives. I know I detailed it.....

              Tir Gwaith
              PCGen BoD
              Data Silverback
            • Brian McDaniel <bmcdaniel@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 2, 2003
                Thanks Tir. I wasn't really aware of the separate .LST group (its
                been awhile for me). For those who are interested, here is the url:
                require a bit of work but I think it can be done.

                Bryan, the standard way to do it is to truncate AFTER you add up the
                BABs from the various classes. A sorceror/rogue/cleric would have a
                BAB of .75+.75+.75=2.25, round down to 2. Conversely, (assuming that
                the sorceror was the first level taken) he would have a will save of
                2.5 [sorc] + .333 [rogue] + .5 [cleric] = 3.333, round down to 3; and
                a reflex save of .333 [sorc] + .5 [rogue] + .333 [cleric] = 1.666,
                round down to 1. (Note that you only get the +2 to your good saves on
                your first overall class level, much like you only get max hp on your
                first overall class level).

                I think this is actually a fairly common option, but I have no idea
                how hard it would be to implement as a standard option.

                -Brian

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...>