Re: [FREQ] New license question

  • Paul W. King <kingpaul@erie.net>
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2003
      > Do all these legal considerations not make anyone's head spin like
      > it does mine???? ;)

      Sometimes. What'd probably *really* get my head spinning would be
      trying to splice your licensing permission from WotC with the
      SRD/d20SL. :p

      Paul W. King
      OGL Gibbon
    • Dominic Amann
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2003
        merton_monk wrote:
        > I rather like John's idea. CMP did get that permission to include
        > that in PCGen, so the question becomes whether support for it can be
        > added directly to PCGen's code base or done as a separate add on of
        > somekind produced by CMP. I think if everything were done with data
        > files, like John is suggesting, that it is fine in terms of
        > licensing. CMP would have to provide the files to PCGen, or at least
        > give PCGen permission to create/use those files to take advantage of
        > that functionality. I'm sure that kind of permission can be granted
        > from CMP to PCGen (that's why we worked so hard to get this kind of
        > permission from Wotc!). :) At least I think that would satisfy all
        > the legal requirements. I need a few extra years to go to Law School
        > to understand all this stuff... I'll have to think about this more,
        > maybe Mynex or Lone Jedi have a different idea, but right now I don't
        > see why this wouldn't work. Our permission granted by our agreement
        > isn't permanent, so I think that would preclude us from checking the
        > data files into cvs for release in an opensource app, but making it
        > available either at the pcgen release site or on the CMP site (free,
        > of course) would be viable options. Do all these legal considerations
        > not make anyone's head spin like it does mine???? ;)

        Aha, so if the code can support these options based on a data file (like
        the strange STR->encumbrance file), then we can all benefit, without
        having to have a fork in the code!

        --
        Dominic Amann, Linux Based Solutions Ltd., <http://www.lbs.ca/>
        18 Candlewood Cr, Toronto, ON M3J 1G8