Re: [FREQ] New license question

  • merton_monk <merton_monk@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2003
      I rather like John's idea. CMP did get that permission to include
      that in PCGen, so the question becomes whether support for it can be
      added directly to PCGen's code base or done as a separate add on of
      somekind produced by CMP. I think if everything were done with data
      files, like John is suggesting, that it is fine in terms of
      licensing. CMP would have to provide the files to PCGen, or at least
      give PCGen permission to create/use those files to take advantage of
      that functionality. I'm sure that kind of permission can be granted
      from CMP to PCGen (that's why we worked so hard to get this kind of
      permission from Wotc!). :) At least I think that would satisfy all
      the legal requirements. I need a few extra years to go to Law School
      to understand all this stuff... I'll have to think about this more,
      maybe Mynex or Lone Jedi have a different idea, but right now I don't
      see why this wouldn't work. Our permission granted by our agreement
      isn't permanent, so I think that would preclude us from checking the
      data files into cvs for release in an opensource app, but making it
      available either at the pcgen release site or on the CMP site (free,
      of course) would be viable options. Do all these legal considerations
      not make anyone's head spin like it does mine???? ;)

      -Bryan
      Code Monkey Publishing, Co-Founder
      Benevolent Dictator of PCGen

    • Paul W. King <kingpaul@erie.net>
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28, 2003
        > Do all these legal considerations not make anyone's head spin like
        > it does mine???? ;)

        Sometimes. What'd probably *really* get my head spinning would be
        trying to splice your licensing permission from WotC with the
        SRD/d20SL. :p

        Paul W. King
        OGL Gibbon
      • Dominic Amann
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2003
          merton_monk wrote:
          > I rather like John's idea. CMP did get that permission to include
          > that in PCGen, so the question becomes whether support for it can be
          > added directly to PCGen's code base or done as a separate add on of
          > somekind produced by CMP. I think if everything were done with data
          > files, like John is suggesting, that it is fine in terms of
          > licensing. CMP would have to provide the files to PCGen, or at least
          > give PCGen permission to create/use those files to take advantage of
          > that functionality. I'm sure that kind of permission can be granted
          > from CMP to PCGen (that's why we worked so hard to get this kind of
          > permission from Wotc!). :) At least I think that would satisfy all
          > the legal requirements. I need a few extra years to go to Law School
          > to understand all this stuff... I'll have to think about this more,
          > maybe Mynex or Lone Jedi have a different idea, but right now I don't
          > see why this wouldn't work. Our permission granted by our agreement
          > isn't permanent, so I think that would preclude us from checking the
          > data files into cvs for release in an opensource app, but making it
          > available either at the pcgen release site or on the CMP site (free,
          > of course) would be viable options. Do all these legal considerations
          > not make anyone's head spin like it does mine???? ;)

          Aha, so if the code can support these options based on a data file (like
          the strange STR->encumbrance file), then we can all benefit, without
          having to have a fork in the code!

          --
          Dominic Amann, Linux Based Solutions Ltd., <http://www.lbs.ca/>
          18 Candlewood Cr, Toronto, ON M3J 1G8