Re: [FREQ] New license question

  • Byngl <byngl@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2003
      Would this not depend CMP? Random gold generation is licensed to
      them, so should this not go through them?

      Bryan? Mynex?

      Byngl

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, John Sussenberger <j_sheridan@y...>
      wrote:

      > I'm going to push things and add in one more request if we can get
      level based gold. Can we get a radio button to select NPC or PC (or
      even a drop down menu with some additional configurations).
      > I'm always thinking of expandability, so these amounts should pull
      from a set of LST files. It would be great to be able to code it so
      that I could put in my own number of lists and name them myself.
      I.E. Realms NPC, Realms PC, John's NPC, John's PC, etc.
      > -John-
      > Paul Grosse <pgrosse@m...> wrote:Okay we have the hp rolling back
      and etc. Is it permissible to put in
      > starting gold, and what say a 3rd level char should have as total
      > wealth? Because I always forget that when making new characters :)
      >
      > Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
      > PCGen OGL Gibbon
      > ICQ: 14397299
      > AO: Nylan
      > Various forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)
      >
      > "The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for the human race
      > to keep all it's eggs in." - Robert Heinlein

      Service.

    • merton_monk <merton_monk@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28, 2003
        I rather like John's idea. CMP did get that permission to include
        that in PCGen, so the question becomes whether support for it can be
        added directly to PCGen's code base or done as a separate add on of
        somekind produced by CMP. I think if everything were done with data
        files, like John is suggesting, that it is fine in terms of
        licensing. CMP would have to provide the files to PCGen, or at least
        give PCGen permission to create/use those files to take advantage of
        that functionality. I'm sure that kind of permission can be granted
        from CMP to PCGen (that's why we worked so hard to get this kind of
        permission from Wotc!). :) At least I think that would satisfy all
        the legal requirements. I need a few extra years to go to Law School
        to understand all this stuff... I'll have to think about this more,
        maybe Mynex or Lone Jedi have a different idea, but right now I don't
        see why this wouldn't work. Our permission granted by our agreement
        isn't permanent, so I think that would preclude us from checking the
        data files into cvs for release in an opensource app, but making it
        available either at the pcgen release site or on the CMP site (free,
        of course) would be viable options. Do all these legal considerations
        not make anyone's head spin like it does mine???? ;)

        -Bryan
        Code Monkey Publishing, Co-Founder
        Benevolent Dictator of PCGen

      • Paul W. King <kingpaul@erie.net>
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 28, 2003
          > Do all these legal considerations not make anyone's head spin like
          > it does mine???? ;)

          Sometimes. What'd probably *really* get my head spinning would be
          trying to splice your licensing permission from WotC with the
          SRD/d20SL. :p

          Paul W. King
          OGL Gibbon
        • Dominic Amann
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2003
            merton_monk wrote:
            > I rather like John's idea. CMP did get that permission to include
            > that in PCGen, so the question becomes whether support for it can be
            > added directly to PCGen's code base or done as a separate add on of
            > somekind produced by CMP. I think if everything were done with data
            > files, like John is suggesting, that it is fine in terms of
            > licensing. CMP would have to provide the files to PCGen, or at least
            > give PCGen permission to create/use those files to take advantage of
            > that functionality. I'm sure that kind of permission can be granted
            > from CMP to PCGen (that's why we worked so hard to get this kind of
            > permission from Wotc!). :) At least I think that would satisfy all
            > the legal requirements. I need a few extra years to go to Law School
            > to understand all this stuff... I'll have to think about this more,
            > maybe Mynex or Lone Jedi have a different idea, but right now I don't
            > see why this wouldn't work. Our permission granted by our agreement
            > isn't permanent, so I think that would preclude us from checking the
            > data files into cvs for release in an opensource app, but making it
            > available either at the pcgen release site or on the CMP site (free,
            > of course) would be viable options. Do all these legal considerations
            > not make anyone's head spin like it does mine???? ;)

            Aha, so if the code can support these options based on a data file (like
            the strange STR->encumbrance file), then we can all benefit, without
            having to have a fork in the code!

            --
            Dominic Amann, Linux Based Solutions Ltd., <http://www.lbs.ca/>
            18 Candlewood Cr, Toronto, ON M3J 1G8