Re: [pcgen] [FREQ] New license question

  • John Sussenberger
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2003
      I'm going to push things and add in one more request if we can get level based gold. Can we get a radio button to select NPC or PC (or even a drop down menu with some additional configurations).
      I'm always thinking of expandability, so these amounts should pull from a set of LST files. It would be great to be able to code it so that I could put in my own number of lists and name them myself. I.E. Realms NPC, Realms PC, John's NPC, John's PC, etc.
      -John-
      Paul Grosse <pgrosse@...> wrote:Okay we have the hp rolling back and etc. Is it permissible to put in
      starting gold, and what say a 3rd level char should have as total
      wealth? Because I always forget that when making new characters :)

      Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
      PCGen OGL Gibbon
      ICQ: 14397299
      AO: Nylan
      Various forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)

      "The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for the human race
      to keep all it's eggs in." - Robert Heinlein

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28, 2003
        Would this not depend CMP? Random gold generation is licensed to
        them, so should this not go through them?

        Bryan? Mynex?

        Byngl

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, John Sussenberger <j_sheridan@y...>
        wrote:

        > I'm going to push things and add in one more request if we can get
        level based gold. Can we get a radio button to select NPC or PC (or
        even a drop down menu with some additional configurations).
        > I'm always thinking of expandability, so these amounts should pull
        from a set of LST files. It would be great to be able to code it so
        that I could put in my own number of lists and name them myself.
        I.E. Realms NPC, Realms PC, John's NPC, John's PC, etc.
        > -John-
        > Paul Grosse <pgrosse@m...> wrote:Okay we have the hp rolling back
        and etc. Is it permissible to put in
        > starting gold, and what say a 3rd level char should have as total
        > wealth? Because I always forget that when making new characters :)
        >
        > Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
        > PCGen OGL Gibbon
        > ICQ: 14397299
        > AO: Nylan
        > Various forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)
        >
        > "The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for the human race
        > to keep all it's eggs in." - Robert Heinlein

        Service.

      • merton_monk <merton_monk@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 28, 2003
          I rather like John's idea. CMP did get that permission to include
          that in PCGen, so the question becomes whether support for it can be
          added directly to PCGen's code base or done as a separate add on of
          somekind produced by CMP. I think if everything were done with data
          files, like John is suggesting, that it is fine in terms of
          licensing. CMP would have to provide the files to PCGen, or at least
          give PCGen permission to create/use those files to take advantage of
          that functionality. I'm sure that kind of permission can be granted
          from CMP to PCGen (that's why we worked so hard to get this kind of
          permission from Wotc!). :) At least I think that would satisfy all
          the legal requirements. I need a few extra years to go to Law School
          to understand all this stuff... I'll have to think about this more,
          maybe Mynex or Lone Jedi have a different idea, but right now I don't
          see why this wouldn't work. Our permission granted by our agreement
          isn't permanent, so I think that would preclude us from checking the
          data files into cvs for release in an opensource app, but making it
          available either at the pcgen release site or on the CMP site (free,
          of course) would be viable options. Do all these legal considerations
          not make anyone's head spin like it does mine???? ;)

          -Bryan
          Code Monkey Publishing, Co-Founder
          Benevolent Dictator of PCGen

        • Paul W. King <kingpaul@erie.net>
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 28, 2003
            > Do all these legal considerations not make anyone's head spin like
            > it does mine???? ;)

            Sometimes. What'd probably *really* get my head spinning would be
            trying to splice your licensing permission from WotC with the
            SRD/d20SL. :p

            Paul W. King
            OGL Gibbon
          • Dominic Amann
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 3, 2003
              merton_monk wrote:
              > I rather like John's idea. CMP did get that permission to include
              > that in PCGen, so the question becomes whether support for it can be
              > added directly to PCGen's code base or done as a separate add on of
              > somekind produced by CMP. I think if everything were done with data
              > files, like John is suggesting, that it is fine in terms of
              > licensing. CMP would have to provide the files to PCGen, or at least
              > give PCGen permission to create/use those files to take advantage of
              > that functionality. I'm sure that kind of permission can be granted
              > from CMP to PCGen (that's why we worked so hard to get this kind of
              > permission from Wotc!). :) At least I think that would satisfy all
              > the legal requirements. I need a few extra years to go to Law School
              > to understand all this stuff... I'll have to think about this more,
              > maybe Mynex or Lone Jedi have a different idea, but right now I don't
              > see why this wouldn't work. Our permission granted by our agreement
              > isn't permanent, so I think that would preclude us from checking the
              > data files into cvs for release in an opensource app, but making it
              > available either at the pcgen release site or on the CMP site (free,
              > of course) would be viable options. Do all these legal considerations
              > not make anyone's head spin like it does mine???? ;)

              Aha, so if the code can support these options based on a data file (like
              the strange STR->encumbrance file), then we can all benefit, without
              having to have a fork in the code!

              --
              Dominic Amann, Linux Based Solutions Ltd., <http://www.lbs.ca/>
              18 Candlewood Cr, Toronto, ON M3J 1G8