Diplomacy Synergy

  • loyalp@home.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 16, 2001
      I just noticed this in both versions of PCGen.

      You can have a +2 synergy bonus on Diplomacy checks if you have 5 or
      more ranks in Bluff or Sense Motive. Also, it says these bonuses
      stack, so would that be a +4 if you had 5 ranks in both?

      PHB, p.67

      Thanks everyone.
    • Yosemite Sam
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 16, 2001
        PHB pg 67. list line of Diplomacy skill description "These bonuses stack"
        > I just noticed this in both versions of PCGen.
        >
        > You can have a +2 synergy bonus on Diplomacy checks if you have 5 or
        > more ranks in Bluff or Sense Motive. Also, it says these bonuses
        > stack, so would that be a +4 if you had 5 ranks in both?
        >
        > PHB, p.67
        >
        > Thanks everyone.

      • Brass Tilde
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 16, 2001

          Bryan, should this work, or is it a feature request?

          Brass

        • Damian
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 16, 2001
            does a synergy bonus stack with a synergy bonus?  I don't think so, as they're the same type.  I think the "does stack" comment is aimed at OTHER mods.

            v     Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult,

            Erin

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 17, 2001
              I disagree.  Some bonuses can stack.  All dodge bonuses stack.  In this case, the Player's Handbook states "These bonuses stack"

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 17, 2001

                  Are you saying that it *doesn't* work this way?

                  Brass

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 17, 2001
                    Yes. Sorry about the lack of clarity. Currently, there is no
                    synergy bonus at all. No +2, and no +4.

                  • loyalp@home.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 17, 2001
                      I just read the guidelines for submitting bugs, and I will follow
                      those from now. I missed them somehow, previously. :)

                      Anyway, I've discovered that if you take both skills to 5 ranks then
                      everything works fine. You get a +4 synergy bonus, and even if you
                      then lower one of the skills you will get a +2 synergy bonus still.

                      However, if you only have one of the skills at 5 ranks, then you will
                      not get any synergy bonus at all. So, it seems that the code is in
                      there to handle it, but is missing something somewhere.

                      Thanks.

                      --- In pcgen@y..., loyalp@h... wrote:
                      > Yes. Sorry about the lack of clarity. Currently, there is no
                      > synergy bonus at all. No +2, and no +4.

                    • Darwin
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 17, 2001
                        Quote the SRD,

                        Different named bonus types all stack, but usually a named bonus does
                        not stack with another bonus of the same name (except for enhancement
                        bonuses to armor and shields, enhancement bonuses to ranged weapons
                        and their ammunition, dodge bonuses, synergy bonuses, and some
                        circumstance bonuses).

                        So yes, synergy stacks....

                        --- In pcgen@y..., "Yosemite Sam" <churcht@b...> wrote:
                        > I disagree. Some bonuses can stack. All dodge bonuses stack. In
                        this case, the Player's Handbook states "These bonuses stack"

                        Service.

                        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                        >
                        > Enter to Win!

                        Service.
                      • loyalp@home.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 18, 2001
                          Here is a step-by-step recreation:

                          1. Load PHB & DMG
                          2. New character
                          3. Take 7 levels of fighter
                          4. Add one whole rank of Diplomacy
                          5. Export reveals Diplomacy is 1 + CHA
                          6. Add 5 whole ranks of Sense Motive
                          7. Export reveals Diplomacy is 1 + CHA (incorrect)
                          8. Add 5 whole ranks of Bluff
                          9. Export reveals Diplomacy is 1 + CHA + 4 (correct)
                          10. Remove all ranks of Sense Motive
                          11. Export reveals Diplomacy is 1 + CHA + 2 (correct)