SRD DESCs for PHB spells now in CVS

  • Tir Gwaith
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 3, 2003
      [ 680034 ] phbspells: DESC from SRD

      DESC's for spells from the SRD are now in place. They should be in the next
      autobuild.

      Everyone be sure to thank Erik (ehilsdal) for his catch on it.

      Tir Gwaith
      PCGen Team
      Data Silverback
    • Kent Behrends
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 3, 2003
        On Monday, Feb 3, 2003, at 21:38 America/Los_Angeles, Tir Gwaith wrote:

        > [ 680034 ] phbspells: DESC from SRD
        >
        > DESC's for spells from the SRD are now in place. They should be in
        > the next
        > autobuild.
        >
        > Everyone be sure to thank Erik (ehilsdal) for his catch on it.

        Thank you Erik.

        Now for the feats... Are we limited to only one liners? in Wizards
        srdfeats.rtf the feats are a paragraph. I.e.:

        -----
        Craft Wand [Item Creation]
        Prerequisite: Spellcaster level 5th+.
        Benefit: The character can create a wand of any spell of 4th level or
        lower that the character knows. Crafting a wand takes 1 day for each
        1,000 gp in its base price. The base price of a wand is its caster
        level multiplied by the spell level multiplied by 750 gp. To craft a
        wand, the character must spend 1/25 of this base price in XP and use up
        raw materials costing half of this base price.

        A newly created wand has 50 charges.

        Any wand that stores a spell with a costly material component or an XP
        cost also carries a commensurate cost. In addition to the cost derived
        from the base cost, the character must expend fifty copies of the
        material component or pay fifty times the XP cost.
        -----

        Can't we place the "Benefit" as the DESC (as posted in srdfeats.rtf)?

        Kent
      • Tir Gwaith
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 4, 2003
          The LST standard is no text from the 'benefits' (Game mechanics) section of
          feats. That requires the user to have the source. SRD/phb is no different,
          even if most users have it. There aren't any simple descriptions in our
          allowed content, hence, 'See text.'

          Tir Gwaith
          PCGen Team
          Data Silverback
        • Paul Grosse
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 4, 2003
            <snip>
            [ 680034 ] phbspells: DESC from SRD

            DESC's for spells from the SRD are now in place. They should be in
            the next
            autobuild.

            Everyone be sure to thank Erik (ehilsdal) for his catch on it.

            Tir Gwaith
            PCGen Team
            Data Silverback
            </snip>

            Grrrr, I just did a MOD for all the feats two weeks ago! ;P
            Paul Grosse
            MSN Messenger: Nylanfs@...
            ICQ: 14397299
            AO: Nylan
            Various forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)

            "The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for the human race
            to keep all it's eggs in." - Robert Heinlein
          • gildoggydogg <sgilroy2@woh.rr.com>
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 4, 2003
              Is it not permissible to derive a description from what is given in
              the SRD? Or do you have to use the word-for-word from the SRD?

              "In a world without fences, who needs GATES"

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...> wrote:
              > The LST standard is no text from the 'benefits' (Game mechanics)
              section of
              > feats. That requires the user to have the source. SRD/phb is no
              different,
              > even if most users have it. There aren't any simple descriptions in our
              > allowed content, hence, 'See text.'
              >
              > Tir Gwaith
              > PCGen Team
              > Data Silverback
            • Ed Beckwith
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 4, 2003
                Quick question... is there a way to create a file that had all the Desc's in
                it from the books I have, and just use a Mod statement so that it replaces
                the desc from the standard file with the custom one? I mean, I could go
                through and re-write the PHBfeat file, et al. but would have to do that
                every time a new revision came out...

                Ed
              • John Sussenberger
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 4, 2003
                  You have to create a MOD file, which is just like a regular LST file (for whatever you are modding), but instead of coding all of the information, just change the DESC: tag (or whatever you want to change).

                  For example:

                  Ambidexterity.MOD DESC:blah blah blah

                  Since the DESC tag can only hold one description at a time, the MOD takes presidence. Another thing to note about MOD files is that they need to be loaded last (so the rank in the PCC file should be 9).

                  I create seperate MOD files for my own campaign and they work well, actually I have not had any problems yet :)

                  Would it be a good idea if we included a sample set of MOD files (just as an example of how they work?).

                  -John-

                  Ed Beckwith <Sardonicus@...> wrote:Quick question... is there a way to create a file that had all the Desc's in
                  it from the books I have, and just use a Mod statement so that it replaces
                  the desc from the standard file with the custom one? I mean, I could go
                  through and re-write the PHBfeat file, et al. but would have to do that
                  every time a new revision came out...

                  Ed

                • Dominic Amann
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 4, 2003
                    John Sussenberger wrote:
                    > You have to create a MOD file, which is just like a regular LST file (for whatever you are modding), but instead of coding all of the information, just change the DESC: tag (or whatever you want to change).
                    >
                    > For example:
                    >
                    > Ambidexterity.MOD DESC:blah blah blah
                    >
                    > Since the DESC tag can only hold one description at a time, the MOD takes presidence. Another thing to note about MOD files is that they need to be loaded last (so the rank in the PCC file should be 9).
                    >
                    > I create seperate MOD files for my own campaign and they work well, actually I have not had any problems yet :)
                    >
                    > Would it be a good idea if we included a sample set of MOD files (just as an example of how they work?).
                    >
                    > -John-

                    I have an idea to implement a perl script that can munge through an
                    *.rtf file and produce a suitable .MOD file for the descriptions. Would
                    this be a breach of OGL in some way?

                    --
                    Dominic Amann, Linux Based Solutions Ltd., <http://www.lbs.ca/>
                    18 Candlewood Cr, Toronto, ON M3J 1G8
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 4, 2003
                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Dominic Amann <dominic@l...> wrote:
                      > John Sussenberger wrote:
                      > > You have to create a MOD file, which is just like a regular LST
                      file (for whatever you are modding), but instead of coding all of the
                      information, just change the DESC: tag (or whatever you want to
                      change).

                      > > For example:
                      > >
                      > > Ambidexterity.MOD DESC:blah blah blah
                      > >
                      > > Since the DESC tag can only hold one description at a time, the
                      MOD takes presidence. Another thing to note about MOD files is that
                      they need to be loaded last (so the rank in the PCC file should be 9).

                      > > I create seperate MOD files for my own campaign and they work
                      well, actually I have not had any problems yet :)

                      > > Would it be a good idea if we included a sample set of MOD files
                      (just as an example of how they work?).

                      > > -John-
                      > >

                      > I have an idea to implement a perl script that can munge through an
                      > *.rtf file and produce a suitable .MOD file for the descriptions.
                      Would
                      > this be a breach of OGL in some way?

                      All the text in the srd.rtf's are OGC, so no, that wouldn't breach
                      it. However, there is nothing in the srdfeats.rtf file that is
                      clearly labeled "description". To some extent we could
                      use "benefit", but that's not always true, and you'd miss
                      the "special" and "normal" clauses. We limit ourselves to one short
                      line, and the feat benefit/normal/special explanations generally
                      don't fit into that. If you want to create a .MOD like this for your
                      own usage, go right ahead. PCGen assumes you have the book already,
                      so the "See Text" explanation has simply been the easiest solution.

                      -Bryan

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 4, 2003
                        But as I posed earlier...can't you just use the SRD to create your own
                        Desc. based on what is stated there? Or do you have to put it in
                        exactly as it appears in the SRD?

                        "In a world without fences, who needs GATES"

                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "merton_monk <merton_monk@y...>"
                        <merton_monk@y...> wrote:
                        > All the text in the srd.rtf's are OGC, so no, that wouldn't breach
                        > it. However, there is nothing in the srdfeats.rtf file that is
                        > clearly labeled "description". To some extent we could
                        > use "benefit", but that's not always true, and you'd miss
                        > the "special" and "normal" clauses. We limit ourselves to one short
                        > line, and the feat benefit/normal/special explanations generally
                        > don't fit into that. If you want to create a .MOD like this for your
                        > own usage, go right ahead. PCGen assumes you have the book already,
                        > so the "See Text" explanation has simply been the easiest solution.
                        >
                        > -Bryan
                      • Dominic Amann
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 4, 2003
                          merton_monk wrote:
                          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Dominic Amann <dominic@l...> wrote:
                          >
                          >>John Sussenberger wrote:
                          >>
                          >>>You have to create a MOD file, which is just like a regular LST
                          >>
                          > file (for whatever you are modding), but instead of coding all of the
                          > information, just change the DESC: tag (or whatever you want to
                          > change).
                          >
                          >>>For example:
                          >>>
                          >>>Ambidexterity.MOD DESC:blah blah blah
                          >>>
                          >>>Since the DESC tag can only hold one description at a time, the
                          >>
                          > MOD takes presidence. Another thing to note about MOD files is that
                          > they need to be loaded last (so the rank in the PCC file should be 9).
                          >
                          >>>I create seperate MOD files for my own campaign and they work
                          >>
                          > well, actually I have not had any problems yet :)
                          >
                          >>>Would it be a good idea if we included a sample set of MOD files
                          >>
                          > (just as an example of how they work?).
                          >
                          >>>-John-
                          >>>

                          >>I have an idea to implement a perl script that can munge through an
                          >>*.rtf file and produce a suitable .MOD file for the descriptions.
                          >
                          > Would
                          >
                          >>this be a breach of OGL in some way?
                          >

                          > All the text in the srd.rtf's are OGC, so no, that wouldn't breach
                          > it. However, there is nothing in the srdfeats.rtf file that is
                          > clearly labeled "description". To some extent we could
                          > use "benefit", but that's not always true, and you'd miss
                          > the "special" and "normal" clauses. We limit ourselves to one short
                          > line, and the feat benefit/normal/special explanations generally
                          > don't fit into that. If you want to create a .MOD like this for your
                          > own usage, go right ahead. PCGen assumes you have the book already,
                          > so the "See Text" explanation has simply been the easiest solution.
                          >
                          > -Bryan

                          I meant would there be any problem if I publicly released a perl tool
                          which would munge the srd texts and producing the appropriate .mod file?

                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 4, 2003
                              Let's NOT go there.

                              Tir Gwaith
                              PCGen Team