Character doesn't appear in Internet Explorer

  • Steve Culshaw <s.culshaw@btclick.com>
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2003
      Just downloaded v429 and installed it to a new folder. Tried a
      preview of a character, and IE opens, but there is nothing in the
      display. Checked the file in C:\Documents and Settings\Steve\Local
      Settings\Temp\currentPC48239.htm, and it's zero bytes

      Gone back to my v427 and it displays fine
    • Andrew Wardell
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2003
        I have had the same thing happen as well (I hadn't gotten around to testing
        with clean data files yet, though).

        On 2 Feb 2003 Steve Culshaw s.culshaw@btcli wrote:

        > Just downloaded v429 and installed it to a new folder. Tried a
        > preview of a character, and IE opens, but there is nothing in the
        > display. Checked the file in C:\Documents and Settings\Steve\Local
        > Settings\Temp\currentPC48239.htm, and it's zero bytes
        >
        > Gone back to my v427 and it displays fine

        Andrew Wardell
        andrew.wardell@...
      • James Dempsey
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2003
          Is anything displayed in the console? Does it also happen with a new
          character created with just the PHB loaded?

          James Dempsey
          JDempsey@...

          > I have had the same thing happen as well (I hadn't gotten around to
          testing
          > with clean data files yet, though).
          >
          > On 2 Feb 2003 Steve Culshaw s.culshaw@btcli wrote:
          >
          > > Just downloaded v429 and installed it to a new folder. Tried a
          > > preview of a character, and IE opens, but there is nothing in the
          > > display. Checked the file in C:\Documents and Settings\Steve\Local
          > > Settings\Temp\currentPC48239.htm, and it's zero bytes
          > >
          > > Gone back to my v427 and it displays fine
        • Barak
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2003
            Since it was a fresh install, have you chosen a default template yet?

            Barak
            - PCGen OS Silverback
            - LST Gibbon

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2, 2003
              On 3 Feb 2003 James Dempsey wrote:

              > Is anything displayed in the console? Does it also happen with a new
              > character created with just the PHB loaded?

              The plot thickens.

              Using just PHB, DMG & MM for source material...
              All defaults have been set up, default export sheet is csheet_dnd_combined.htm

              PCGen produces a blank file on export or print preview.
              The behavior is the same for csheet_dnd_compact.htm
              ...and csheet_dnd_mmstatblock.htm
              ...and csheet_dnd_std.htm

              The console shows the following:

              Error in ExportHandler::write
              sun.io.MalformedInputException
              Opening with browser C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
              Executing C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
              file:/C:/DOCUME~2/Owner/LOCALS~1/Temp/currentPC44476.htm

              *However*, csheet.htm works fine, as does csheet_dnd_WotC_Statblock.htm
              Note that both of these produce a number of messages along the lines of
              "Old syntax WEAPONx will be replaced for WEAPON.x" (for both files)
              or
              "Old syntax STATx will be replaced for STAT.x" (just for csheet.htm)

              Hope this helps.

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
                Checked my console and I get

                Warning: character is younger than any age information available.
                Using adjustme
                nts for first age category.
                Warning: character is younger than any age information available.
                Using adjustme
                nts for first age category.
                Error in ExportHandler::write
                sun.io.MalformedInputException
                at sun.io.ByteToCharUTF8.convert(Unknown Source)
                at java.io.InputStreamReader.convertInto(Unknown Source)
                at java.io.InputStreamReader.fill(Unknown Source)
                at java.io.InputStreamReader.read(Unknown Source)
                at java.io.BufferedReader.fill(Unknown Source)
                at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(Unknown Source)
                at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(Unknown Source)
                at pcgen.io.ExportHandler.write(ExportHandler.java:161)
                at pcgen.gui.InfoPreview.printToWriter(InfoPreview.java:446)
                at pcgen.gui.InfoPreview.previewInBrowser
                (InfoPreview.java:369)
                at pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1.printPreviewItem_actionPerformed
                (PCGen_Frame1.java:1652)
                at pcgen.gui.FrameActionListener$9.actionPerformed
                (FrameActionListener.java:154)
                at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown
                Source)
                at
                javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed
                (Unknown Source)
                at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed
                (Unknown Source)
                at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased
                (Unknown Source)
                at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
                at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown
                Source)
                at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown
                Source)
                at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown
                Source)
                at pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1$WaitCursorEventQueue.dispatchEvent
                (PCGen_Frame1.java:2624)
                at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy
                (Unknown Source)

                at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy
                (Unknown Source)
                Opening with browser C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
                Executing C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
                file:/C:/DOCUME~1/Stev
                e/LOCALS~1/Temp/currentPC18693.htm

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Wardell" <andrew.wardell@v...>

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
                  Just double checked, and yes my template was set to
                  csheet_dnd_combined

                  If I change to csheet_dnd_std I do get output ??

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 8, 2003
                    Found the message in the archives about the non-english O character,
                    so tried amending the csheet_dnd_combined.htm to replace the Bjorn ,
                    o with two dots, with the standard o

                    Now when I try a preview, I first get some error messages
                    Error replacing %SPELLLISTCLASS%class
                    Error replacing %SPELLLISTCLASS%class
                    Error replacing SPELLLISTCLASS%class.%level
                    Error replacing %class.%level.%book
                    Error replacing %class.%level.%book
                    Error replacing %SPELLLISTCLASS%class

                    But there is st least something in the preview, all be it with
                    errors in it :-(

                    I've uploaded the file into Need Help With / Outputsheets /
                    currentPC7356.htm

                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Culshaw <s.culshaw@b...>"

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 8, 2003
                      On 8 Feb 2003 Steve Culshaw s.culshaw@btcli wrote:

                      > Found the message in the archives about the non-english O character,
                      > so tried amending the csheet_dnd_combined.htm to replace the Bjorn ,
                      > o with two dots, with the standard o
                      >
                      > Now when I try a preview, I first get some error messages

                      I *hadn't* seen the message in the archives, so this was good to see. I made
                      the correction and the sheet exports fine. Woo Hoo!

                      Should I assume the the change is going to be made official in further
                      releases?

                      Andrew Wardell
                      andrew.wardell@...
                    • Barak
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 8, 2003
                        It already is. :)

                        Barak
                        - PCGen OS Silverback
                        - LST Gibbon

                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 9, 2003
                          Any idea why editing it has causes the following errors ?

                          Error replacing %SPELLLISTCLASS%class
                          Error replacing %SPELLLISTCLASS%class
                          Error replacing SPELLLISTCLASS%class.%level
                          Error replacing %class.%level.%book
                          Error replacing %class.%level.%book
                          Error replacing %SPELLLISTCLASS%class

                          I have checked with diff and that's the only edit I've done,
                          honest :-)