Re: [pcgen] OGL spell descriptions

  • Tir Gwaith
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 2 4:36 AM
      > Then doesn't these:
      >
      > http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/srdspelli.rtf
      > http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/srdspellsii.rtf
      >
      > mean that the one-line descriptions can now be distributed?

      Monkey snacks for Erik!!
      Well, Shiver me Timbers! I went looking for those, and somehow missed them,
      hence the call on 'See text' for the spell descriptions.

      I think Erik is going to make a whole lot of people happy. I'll go through
      and implement those before next release. :)

      Now, do you think you can find the one liners for feats?

      Tir Gwaith
      PCGen Team
      Data Silverback
    • krazhit <here@hell.is>
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 2 5:29 AM
        > Now, do you think you can find the one liners for feats?
        >
        > Tir Gwaith
        > PCGen Team
        > Data Silverback

        Would this be close? (no one liners, but...)
        http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/srdfeats.rtf
      • Tir Gwaith
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 2 1:52 PM
          > Would this be close? (no one liners, but...)
          > http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/srdfeats.rtf

          Same file I used. No DESC's for feats. :(

          Tir Gwaith
          PCGen Team
          Data Silverback
        • Ian Dale <ian_dale@hotmail.com>
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 3 6:21 AM
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...> wrote:
            > > Would this be close? (no one liners, but...)
            > > http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/srdfeats.rtf
            >
            > Same file I used. No DESC's for feats. :(

            For my own files, I've just used the Benefit line. Not quite as good
            as a real description (you lose any of the "Special" information that
            could go in a description), but it's been good enough for my purposes.
            Some (like the Ancestor feats from OA) have gotten a bit long, but
            most are a decent length to go in.

            Just a thought. :)

            -Ian
            LST Tamarin
          • Dominic Amann
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 4 10:13 AM
              Tir Gwaith wrote:
              >>Then doesn't these:
              >>
              >> http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/srdspelli.rtf
              >> http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/srdspellsii.rtf
              >>
              >>mean that the one-line descriptions can now be distributed?
              >

              > Monkey snacks for Erik!!
              > Well, Shiver me Timbers! I went looking for those, and somehow missed them,
              > hence the call on 'See text' for the spell descriptions.
              >
              > I think Erik is going to make a whole lot of people happy. I'll go through
              > and implement those before next release. :)
              >
              > Now, do you think you can find the one liners for feats?

              Well blow me down ifn they aint
              http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/srdfeats.rtf

              --
              Dominic Amann, Linux Based Solutions Ltd., <http://www.lbs.ca/>
              18 Candlewood Cr, Toronto, ON M3J 1G8
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 17 7:51 AM
                But since the feat descriptions are SRD,why not use them in PCGen?

                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 17 8:13 AM
                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "krazhit <here@h...>" <here@h...> wrote:
                  > But since the feat descriptions are SRD,why not use them in PCGen?

                  Except there's no actual descriptions for the feats, just the benefits
                  and so forth.

                  -Ian
                  LST Tamarin
                • Dekker <dekker500@vif.com>
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 17 8:43 AM
                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Dale <ian_dale@h...>"
                    <ian_dale@h...> wrote:
                    > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "krazhit <here@h...>" <here@h...>
                    wrote:
                    > > But since the feat descriptions are SRD,why not use them in PCGen?
                    >
                    > Except there's no actual descriptions for the feats, just the
                    benefits
                    > and so forth.

                    I agree: There are no descriptions, only benefits...

                    But isn't that the point? I personally want the descriptions to BE
                    the benefits... (perhaps it should be "description of benefits"?
                    <grin>

                    For example:
                    Ambidexterity
                    The character ignores all penalties for using an off hand. The
                    character is neither left-handed nor right-handed.

                    Yes, it's tagged as a benefit in the SRD, but it's descriptive enough
                    for use. It tells you what you need to know during gameplay to use
                    the feat.

                    Dekker500
                  • Ian Dale <ian_dale@hotmail.com>
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 17 8:57 AM
                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Dekker <dekker500@v...>"
                      <dekker500@v...> wrote:
                      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Dale <ian_dale@h...>"
                      > <ian_dale@h...> wrote:
                      > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "krazhit <here@h...>" <here@h...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > > But since the feat descriptions are SRD,why not use them in PCGen?
                      > >
                      > > Except there's no actual descriptions for the feats, just the
                      > benefits
                      > > and so forth.
                      >
                      > I agree: There are no descriptions, only benefits...
                      >
                      > But isn't that the point? I personally want the descriptions to BE
                      > the benefits... (perhaps it should be "description of benefits"?
                      > <grin>

                      For my personal files, that's how I do it, just list the Benefits
                      line, since that's essentially the description (though not really,
                      since if you look at the description of the feat listings, there's a
                      Description field, even though they never use it).

                      Now as for usage in PCGen, I know Bryan's talked about how that would
                      miss any "Special" or "Normal" information, and then there's of course
                      how would we distill the Benefits paragraph into a short description
                      (when WotC hasn't provided one), but I can't speak with much authority
                      on that. :)

                      -Ian
                      LST Tamarin
                    • zachslists <zachslists@zachshuford.com>
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 17 12:09 PM
                        > > But since the feat descriptions are SRD,why not use them in PCGen?
                        >
                        > Except there's no actual descriptions for the feats, just
                        > the benefits and so forth.

                        Is the OGL so strict that we can't paraphrase the descriptions into
                        shorter forms we could use as a description?
                      • Paul Grosse
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 18 4:37 AM
                          <snip>

                          I agree: There are no descriptions, only benefits...

                          But isn't that the point? I personally want the descriptions to BE
                          the benefits... (perhaps it should be "description of benefits"?
                          <grin>

                          For example:
                          Ambidexterity
                          The character ignores all penalties for using an off hand. The
                          character is neither left-handed nor right-handed.

                          Yes, it's tagged as a benefit in the SRD, but it's descriptive enough
                          for use. It tells you what you need to know during game play to use
                          the feat.

                          Dekker500
                          </snip>

                          But then the problem is that if you put the benefit in the DESC you
                          don't HAVE to have the book. Like take FFG's T&T (I just went through
                          it so I know for sure on that one). For Mechanical Aptitude the DESC
                          says "+2 to Disable Devices and Open Locks" That right there lets the
                          player take the feat with out actually having the book to know exactly
                          what the feat does. The actual working from the book says "You have a
                          natural affinity for working with mechanical devices and gadgets",
                          which gives a hint as to what it does, but doesn't give it away :)

                          Paul Grosse
                          PCGen OGL Lemure
                          ICQ: 14397299
                          AO: Nylan
                          Various forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)

                          "The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for the human race
                          to keep all it's eggs in." - Robert Heinlein
                        • Paul W. King <paul.king@verizon.com>
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 18 4:49 AM
                            > > Would this be close? (no one liners, but...)
                            > > http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/srdfeats.rtf
                            >
                            > Same file I used. No DESC's for feats. :(

                            Wouldn't the benefit work?

                            Paul W. King
                          • Paul W. King <paul.king@verizon.com>
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 18 4:53 AM
                              > Is the OGL so strict that we can't paraphrase the descriptions into
                              > shorter forms we could use as a description?

                              No. The only thing you would have to do is to cite your derivation
                              in the program. For instance, PCGen uses the SRD for its feats.
                              Now, if the PCGen team wanted to do a 1 line description of the
                              feats, they would need to update S15 of the license to include the
                              new text; and would also need to declare it either open (my personal
                              preference) or closed (IMO, kinda silly). Could look something like
                              this:

                              S15
                              OGL {blah, blah, blah}
                              SRD {blah, blah, blah}
                              Feat Descriptions Copyright 2003 PCGen

                              Paul W. King
                              TL NBoNPCs, FanCC
                              TL NBoModernTimes, FanCC
                              TL Rep to the CC, FanCC
                              OGL Monkey, PCGen
                            • Paul W. King <paul.king@verizon.com>
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 18 4:58 AM
                                > But then the problem is that if you put the benefit in the DESC you
                                > don't HAVE to have the book.

                                Not to be argumentative with my fellow OGL Monkey (what, exactly,
                                *is* our level of evolution on the primate tree?), but the lst files
                                have the benefits in them. For instance, Alertness has
                                BONUS:SKILL|Listen,Spot|2, which tells me that this feat gives a +2
                                bonus to the skills Listen and Spot.

                                Paul W. King
                              • Dekker <dekker500@vif.com>
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 18 5:16 AM
                                  Yes, but we are not talking about text that can be used in the output
                                  sheet.

                                  But I do get your point... we could simply have the description
                                  say: "BONUS:SKILL|Listen,Spot|2"

                                  Dekker500

                                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King <paul.king@v...>"

                                • Dekker <dekker500@vif.com>
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 18 5:24 AM
                                    Yes, but the idea on a character sheet is to provide information that
                                    is useful during gameplay. "has an aptitude..." is nice for reading,
                                    but "+2 DisableDevice and OpenLocks" is much more useful in gaming.

                                    Also, (and here is where I invite the official OGL/D20 people step in
                                    please) isn't all the text in the SRD available for use??? We are
                                    not taking text from the printed books. We are not adding more
                                    description to the text (not to be confused with the "description").
                                    We are simply restating the benefits from the SRD.

                                    And description or no, full-text or no, people never HAVE to buy the
                                    book. One of my players always borrows books (annoying habit), but
                                    doesn't use computer to do char. But even if he had stuff written on
                                    his page, he would still have to borrow book for other information.
                                    But I do understand people's hesitation on this point, but the issue
                                    has always been there ever since the photocopy machine (and now PDFs).

                                    Dekker500

                                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse" <pgrosse@m...> wrote:
                                    > But then the problem is that if you put the benefit in the DESC you
                                    > don't HAVE to have the book. Like take FFG's T&T (I just went
                                    through
                                    > it so I know for sure on that one). For Mechanical Aptitude the DESC
                                    > says "+2 to Disable Devices and Open Locks" That right there lets
                                    the
                                    > player take the feat with out actually having the book to know
                                    exactly
                                    > what the feat does.
                                    > Paul Grosse
                                    <edited for brevity>
                                  • merton_monk <merton_monk@yahoo.com>
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 18 7:27 AM
                                      <dekker500@v...> wrote:
                                      > Yes, but the idea on a character sheet is to provide information
                                      that
                                      > is useful during gameplay. "has an aptitude..." is nice for
                                      reading,
                                      > but "+2 DisableDevice and OpenLocks" is much more useful in gaming.
                                      >
                                      > Also, (and here is where I invite the official OGL/D20 people step
                                      in
                                      > please) isn't all the text in the SRD available for use??? We are
                                      > not taking text from the printed books. We are not adding more
                                      > description to the text (not to be confused with
                                      the "description").
                                      > We are simply restating the benefits from the SRD.

                                      Right - all the text from the SRD is available. We've stayed away
                                      from giving away all the mechanics in the text just to make sure
                                      that the publishers (not just Wotc) knew that our data couldn't
                                      replace the book. For some things, like Feats, there is nothing
                                      denoted specifically as 'description', and simply including all the
                                      text about benefits, special and normal circumstances is generally
                                      far longer than we're comfortable including. Since PCGen assumes
                                      you have the book, a short phrase the jog the memory was deemed
                                      sufficient. If you needed more details you could look it up... ;)

                                      -Bryan
                                    • Dekker <dekker500@vif.com>
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 18 7:56 AM
                                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "merton_monk <merton_monk@y...>"
                                        <merton_monk@y...> wrote:
                                        > ...and simply including all the
                                        > text about benefits, special and normal circumstances is generally
                                        > far longer than we're comfortable including. Since PCGen assumes
                                        > you have the book, a short phrase the jog the memory was deemed
                                        > sufficient. If you needed more details you could look it up... ;)
                                        > -Bryan
                                        <edited for brevity>

                                        So if I interpret you correctly, it is unlikely that even in the
                                        future (after hopefully-successful-negotiations-for-expanded-content-
                                        with-WOTC) that descriptions will be more "descriptive".
                                        Descriptions will remain 'conceptual' and not 'practical'?

                                        And in the same vein, wherever we see "see text" we will never get
                                        more from official channels and that we can safely code our own text
                                        because it will never be replaced by an official practical entry?

                                        Rereading that last part... sounds confrontational, but is not meant
                                        to be. Is only a question about whether we will get practical
                                        entries in the future, or only 'descriptive' entries.

                                        Dekker500
                                      • Paul Grosse
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 18 9:03 AM
                                          <snip>
                                          And description or no, full-text or no, people never HAVE to buy the
                                          book. One of my players always borrows books (annoying habit), but
                                          doesn't use computer to do char. But even if he had stuff written on
                                          his page, he would still have to borrow book for other information.
                                          But I do understand people's hesitation on this point, but the issue
                                          has always been there ever since the photocopy machine (and now PDFs).

                                          Dekker500
                                          </snip>

                                          Okay that might have been a poor choice of words on my part. I should

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 18 9:29 AM
                                            Yes, that was confrontational, and you admitted it.

                                            Let me put it Texan plainly. We won't be putting in descriptions that could be construed as not requiring the book in 'PCGen Official Releases.' ;)

                                            Now, if a publisher requests us to have it a certain way, even 'Contact the Goddess almighty of Foo Publisher' for all of their feat descriptions, guess what we will put in? Exactly as they want, within reason. We would of course censor for explitaves, since I have cousins that play in the room I work on them, and I assume others have that same situation. :)

                                            Now, as for the WotC sources: once it is all said and done, and Mynex can explain the ground rules for that license, he and I will discuss it all. I'm fairly sure Wizard's won't mind something better than 'See text.' I don't know the terms of it yet, so I can't say anything (nor would I even if I did. I have an NDA with CMP.)

                                            Tir Gwaith
                                            PCGen BoD
                                            Data Silverback
                                          • krazhit <here@hell.is>
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 22 9:10 AM
                                              Now that the beans have been spilled and you presumably have more
                                              access to WotC than I at least had assumed.

                                              How come the short descriptions from the PHB Feats section are not
                                              included in the SRD? (I actually don´t expect any of you to answer
                                              that, but it could be a question for WotC.)
                                              And would the new agreement allow you to use them in the PHB list
                                              files, even if they are not in the SRD?

                                              wrote:
                                              > > Then doesn't these:
                                              > >
                                              > > http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/srdspelli.rtf
                                              > > http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/srdspellsii.rtf
                                              > >
                                              > > mean that the one-line descriptions can now be distributed?
                                              >
                                              > Monkey snacks for Erik!!
                                              > Well, Shiver me Timbers! I went looking for those, and somehow
                                              missed them,
                                              > hence the call on 'See text' for the spell descriptions.
                                              >
                                              > I think Erik is going to make a whole lot of people happy. I'll go
                                              through
                                              > and implement those before next release. :)
                                              >
                                              > Now, do you think you can find the one liners for feats?
                                              >
                                              > Tir Gwaith
                                              > PCGen Team
                                              > Data Silverback
                                            • Martijn Verburg (DSLWN)
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 22 2:00 PM
                                                Hi there,

                                                AFAIK

                                                >>Now that the beans have been spilled and you presumably have more
                                                >>access to WotC than I at least had assumed.
                                                >>How come the short descriptions from the PHB Feats section are not
                                                >>included in the SRD?

                                                They are. We jut don't use them (they contain game mechanics)

                                                >>(I actually don´t expect any of you to answer that, but it could be a
                                                question for WotC.)
                                                >>And would the new agreement allow you to use them in the PHB list files,
                                                even if they are not in the SRD?

                                                Through CMP yes, eventually, I imagine CMP will be working on getting those
                                                files done, how they get released to the public etc I do not know.

                                                Karianna

                                                TM SB

                                              • krazhit <here@hell.is>
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Feb 23 2:42 AM
                                                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Martijn Verburg (DSLWN)"
                                                  <MartijnV@d...> wrote:
                                                  > >>How come the short descriptions from the PHB Feats section are
                                                  > >>not included in the SRD?
                                                  >

                                                  > They are. We jut don't use them (they contain game mechanics)

                                                  Actually no. Example:

                                                  PHB:
                                                  "AMBIDEXTERITY [General]
                                                  You are equally adept at using either hand."

                                                  (This, I presume would fit Tir´s needs perfectly)

                                                  SRD:
                                                  "Ambidexterity [General]
                                                  Prerequisite: Dex 15+.
                                                  Benefit: The character ignores all penalties for using an off hand.
                                                  The character is neither left-handed nor right-handed.
                                                  Normal: Without this feat, a character who uses his or her off hand
                                                  suffers a -4 penalty to attack rolls, ability checks, and skill
                                                  checks. For example, a right-handed character wielding a weapon with
                                                  her left hand suffers a -4 penalty to attack rolls with that weapon.
                                                  Special: This feat helps offset the penalty for fighting with two
                                                  weapons."

                                                  http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/srdfeats.rtf

                                                  Copyrighted material is used without permission.
                                                • Martijn Verburg (DSLWN)
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Feb 23 12:35 PM
                                                    Sorry, should have clarified, Krazhit is correct, we may still use the non
                                                    game mechanic descriptions 8-)

                                                    TM SB