Custom items for all players

  • Steve Culshaw <s.culshaw@btclick.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2003
      Can someone explain how I can distribute any custom items, languages
      and skills, that I create ?
      - as DM, I'm getting the situation where a player wants
      a "something", Ok they can use the "Customise" option to create it,
      but I want to also have a copy of their character, so we need to
      have some sort of common items list

      I've looked in the documentation and found some of the notes on the
      format for e.g. Language Files, but if I make one up, where do I put
      it ??

      Thanks,
      Steve C.
    • John Bellando <harliquinn_whiteshadow@ho
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2003
        Though not the easiest way, the best way to keep campaign specific
        information together for your gaming group is to create a new custom
        source. Under data there is a customsources directory. What you
        should do is create a new directory under that and give it a
        descriptive name for your campaign (Something short but meaningful).
        Then the best thing is to copy the set of files from another data
        source into yours, rename them appropriately (With your directory
        name in place of something like PHB).

        Then edit the .pcc file and comment out the files you don't need.
        Then modify each of the .lst files to include your new information.
        then you can load this source in PCGen when you use it next.
        I haven't gone into the details on that since I assume you've
        modified or created the .lst files before. You can then just
        distribute your data directory for others to input and load. Hope
        this helps.

        John

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Culshaw <s.culshaw@b...>"
        <s.culshaw@b...> wrote:
        > Can someone explain how I can distribute any custom items,
        languages
        > and skills, that I create ?
        > - as DM, I'm getting the situation where a player wants
        > a "something", Ok they can use the "Customise" option to create
        it,
        > but I want to also have a copy of their character, so we need to
        > have some sort of common items list
        >
        > I've looked in the documentation and found some of the notes on
        the
        > format for e.g. Language Files, but if I make one up, where do I
        put
        > it ??
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Steve C.
      • Eric Beaudoin
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2003
          At 09:41 2003.02.01, John Bellando <harliquinn_whiteshadow@...> wrote:
          >Though not the easiest way, the best way to keep campaign specific
          >information together for your gaming group is to create a new custom
          >source. Under data there is a customsources directory. What you
          >should do is create a new directory under that and give it a
          >descriptive name for your campaign (Something short but meaningful).
          >Then the best thing is to copy the set of files from another data
          >source into yours, rename them appropriately (With your directory
          >name in place of something like PHB).

          Don't do the copy and rename file. With each new release of PCGEN, you will have to start over or you will mis the fixes and additions done to the .lst files.

          Create your own files just like John was describing but instead of copying files or part of them, just add your own new entries or use the .MOD and .COPY syntax to modificy the existing ones.

          e.g. (tab are indicated by new lines for clarity, empty lines indicates a real new line

          [File: myequipment.lst]
          SOURCELONG:The XXX Campain
          SOURCESHORT:XXX
          SOURCEWEB:http://www.yahoo.com/xxx

          Amulet of Ki (+1)
          TYPE:Magic.Woudrous.Monk.Amulet
          COST:1000
          WT:0
          SOURCEPAGE:Home Made
          BONUS:VAR|KiStrike|1
          SPROP:Augment the Monk Ki Strike by +1

          # .MOD of PHB equipment
          SOURCELONG:Wizards of the Coast - Core Rulebook I - PHB
          SOURCESHORT:PHB
          SOURCEWEB:http://www.wizards.com

          Longbow.MOD
          CONTAINS:20|Arrow=20|Total=20

          Dagger.COPY=Dagger, City of Wahoo (+1)
          COST:2302
          BONUS:WEAPON|DAMAGE,TOHIT|1
          SPROP:Bears the City's Coat of arms

          >Then edit the .pcc file and comment out the files you don't need.
          >Then modify each of the .lst files to include your new information.
          >then you can load this source in PCGen when you use it next.
          >I haven't gone into the details on that since I assume you've
          >modified or created the .lst files before. You can then just
          >distribute your data directory for others to input and load. Hope
          >this helps.
          >
          >John

          Look at the custom campain .PCC to get an example of .PCC calling the core files. You will probably want to have your home-made .PCC call every files that you need and save your players the trouble to select all files individualy. Remember that a .PCC file can call another .PCC.

          Best

          √Čric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
          <mailto:beaudoer@...>