Re: PCGen/D20/OGL Question

  • Dekker <dekker500@vif.com>
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 31, 2003
      OK, I think I have it now. Thank you everyone

      I'll update my database to export to the new format, and all should
      be swell!

      Wouldn't have been so bad if the 'format' of the LST files didn't
      keep changing <grin> If they remained the same, a DIFF would find
      the updates easily enough!

      Dekker500

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "cyberfunkr <cyberfunkr@y...>"
      <cyberfunkr@y...> wrote:
      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Dekker <dekker500@v...>"
      > <dekker500@v...> wrote:
      > <snip>
      > > The reason I ask is that whenever I upgrade PCGen (not often), I
      have
      > > to re-enter the text descriptions I have made to the spells etc.
      > >
      > > I know, I can have custom versions of the spells etc, but then I
      lose
      > > out on any corrections that have been made to the spell lists and
      > > feats etc.
      > >
      > > Is there any solution to this? And I mean other than waiting for
      > > PCGen/Wizards to hammer out a deal on non d20 material)
      > >
      > > Dekker500
      > </snip>
      >
      > Like other people have/will suggest, make custom .pcc and .lst files
      > to .MOD in the descriptions. I just did that very thing yesterday.
      Or

    • Dekker <dekker500@vif.com>
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 31, 2003
        For me, the token it maps to doesn't matter. I'm writing my own
        output sheets so I have control over that. The MOD should work for
        the problem I was having (persistance of custom modification to
        standard spell entries)

        Dekker500

        SAVEINFO, SR,

      • taluroniscandar <mhgj@excite.com>
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 31, 2003

          I thought TARGETAREA was one of the fields that was
          deprecated/relabeled. When you convert older files doesn't it change
          that to, um, EFFECTS maybe. I remember a problem 3-4 weeks ago where
          the lst converter wasn't changing two old labels and I think
          TARGETAREA was one of them.
        • Ian Dale <ian_dale@hotmail.com>
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 31, 2003
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "taluroniscandar <mhgj@e...>"
            <mhgj@e...> wrote:
            > I thought TARGETAREA was one of the fields that was
            > deprecated/relabeled. When you convert older files doesn't it change
            > that to, um, EFFECTS maybe. I remember a problem 3-4 weeks ago where
            > the lst converter wasn't changing two old labels and I think
            > TARGETAREA was one of them.

            TARGETAREA is the NEW tag. :) (Replaces EFFECTS or some such tag.
            Don't recall its exact name.)

            -Ian
            LST Tamarin
          • taluroniscandar <mhgj@excite.com>
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 31, 2003
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Dale <ian_dale@h...>"
              <ian_dale@h...> wrote:
              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "taluroniscandar <mhgj@e...>"
              > <mhgj@e...> wrote:
              > > I thought TARGETAREA was one of the fields that was
              > > deprecated/relabeled. When you convert older files doesn't it change
              > > that to, um, EFFECTS maybe. I remember a problem 3-4 weeks ago where
              > > the lst converter wasn't changing two old labels and I think
              > > TARGETAREA was one of them.
              >
              > TARGETAREA is the NEW tag. :) (Replaces EFFECTS or some such tag.
              > Don't recall its exact name.)

              Ohhh, okay.
            • cyberfunkr <cyberfunkr@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 31, 2003
                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...> wrote:
                > > So ....
                > > a) Could Barak and his crew of happy monkeys change the sheets to show
                > > TARGETAREA: instead of DESC: since it seems silly to have a column of
                > > 'See text'? I'd rather lose the column and make everything a bigger
                > > font size than reinforce the fact that I need to read the book.
                >
                > DESC is not guaranteed to be OGC. So we need permission... If
                people will
                > check the SRD, you will notice that there is no clear '1 liner'
                description
                > listed in it. Hence the See text in the spells and Feats DESC. Other
                > sources will have valid DESC entries as soon as the LST crew gets to
                them.

                > > b) Can someone tell me what the tag is for OS to display TARGETAREA:
                > > so you can leave the current OS alone? I'm using 4.2.7 zips and the
                > > included docs do not show that tag.
                >
                > Barak says that the TARGETAREA is displayed on the sheets. If you
                need more
                > clarification, I'll leave that to him.
                >
                > Tir Gwaith
                > PCGen Team
                > Data Silverback

                Just double checked my output sheet (_std.fo)
                Name, School, Effect (Which displays "See text"), Range, Time,
                Duration, Comp. Saving Throw, SR, Source.

                No TARGETAREA.

                SO:
                Seeing as how there will be sources that will have DESCriptions, it
                would be bad to change the Sheets to not have that field, AND since
                the SRD does not have a clear-cut DESCription we can use, AND we won't
                be able to use the actual PHB text until we get permission...

                Can PCGen include (and/or optionally host on Yahoo) a .lst that is
                nothing but .MOD the DESC field for spell to be the same as what is
                input as the TARGETAREA tag? I already made one for myself, and I
                doubt it would break any OGL/OGC/d20/SRD/WotC rules to have it
                available to anyone else.

                If you want/allow I'll upload my .lst file.

                /Cyberfunkr
              • elves_are_mortal <elves_are_mortal@yahoo
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 31, 2003
                  > Obviously I am shooting from the hip here, as I have not gotten to
                  MOD
                  > any spells yet (but its coming soon), so the DESC tag may not be
                  what
                  > you want. Just replace my changes with yours.

                  Hi.

                  I believe this does what he wants (if I'm understanding correctly).
                  I'm currently working on MOD files for ALL of the SRD spells.
                  *sigh* I'm done with the D's. . . Long, long work. I really
                  appreciate the original data entry folks who entered this into PCGen
                  before it was removed. I'm just copying and pasting, and it is
                  *still* taking forever.

                  /Mortal_Elf/
                  Don't ask. No files for you!
                • elves_are_mortal <elves_are_mortal@yahoo
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 31, 2003
                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "cyberfunkr <cyberfunkr@y...>"
                    <cyberfunkr@y...> wrote:

                    *snip*

                    > Can PCGen include (and/or optionally host on Yahoo) a .lst that is
                    > nothing but .MOD the DESC field for spell to be the same as what is
                    > input as the TARGETAREA tag? I already made one for myself, and I
                    > doubt it would break any OGL/OGC/d20/SRD/WotC rules to have it
                    > available to anyone else.
                    >
                    > If you want/allow I'll upload my .lst file.
                    >
                    > /Cyberfunkr

                    Why not just change the output sheet to display the DESC: and
                    TARGETAREA: tag outputs. The ability to do so is there (thanks,
                    guys!), and it works, so. . . no need to go through all the trouble
                    of making a MODing file.

                    /Mortal_Elf/