Slight/Large problem in PCgen

  • David Cortijo
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 27, 2001
      You guys might laugh at this one - I did for a second when I realized that no one had caught this in 2 months.  The Sorcerer class name is misspelled in the CLASS.LST file (it's spelled SorcerOr, not SorcerEr).  Now, that's the small end of the problem.

      The large part of the problem is that PCgen is coded to duplicate the Wizard spell list for the SorcerOr.  Since the SorcerOr doesn't exist, it requires a code change of either:
      1) PCgen referring to the Wizard list for the Sorcerer
      or
      2) A new Tag in CLASS.LST that allows a class to completely duplicate the spell lists of another class (useful for cases like the Sorcerer that might exist in other games)

      Also, I've begun work in adding material from Sword and Sorcery's "Scarred Lands" setting to the program - I should upload that soon, I'd think.  The main change is in the deity's being used. The work would likely have been easier to add with the proposed "include" type options for LST files, but I got it done with little work nonetheless.  I also added a couple of spells from Relics & Rituals (a Sword and Sorcery spell/item book) that were available from the Sword and Sorcery website.  Since Sword and Sorcery is being designed to fit almost seamlessly with DnD, there isn't much to change or convert, and very little (if anything) that is needed in the way of changes to the program itself.

      After I polish up the Scarred Lands setting, I'll being work on adding some material from The Hunt:Rise of Evil (from Mystic Eye Games).  If anyone has material from either of these settings, feel free to add whatever I leave out, as well as troubleshoot anything I add in.  I don't expect Hunt:RoE to operate as a full campaign world (there's too much I'm missing to bother getting it to operate as one), but Scarred Lands will operate as a stand-alone setting (i.e. you can just click Scarred Lands as your only campaign option and create a character, similar to how Star Wars, ForgottenRealms and GreyHawk operate now).

      I'm looking into several other d20 systems to add their material into PCgen - some of them are called d20 but require to many changes to the core system to operate correctly, others aren't released yet, and others still are too incomplete to make it worth the effort.  However, there are still a couple that I will consider adding in some time soon, and I will begin adding feature requests to the list to provide compatibility with those other d20 systems (I realize at the same time that, as a primarily DnD utility, the goal is to provide DnD functionality before expanding to other variant systems - and I'm completely ok with that).

      Dave
    • David Cortijo

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 27, 2001
          You mean in two months nobody's tried to make a Sorc? That's almost
          amusing... :)

          How'd you get the info for Scarred Lands? Is it out already?
          I though it wasn't due yet...

          How did you get Scarred Lands to be a standalone that doesn't need
          greyhawk, FR, or Star Wars selected?

        • David Cortijo
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 27, 2001
            > You mean in two months nobody's tried to make a Sorc? That's almost
            > amusing... :)

            What I mean is that the spelling was wrong, and the program was made to
            recognize the incorrect spelling. I tried to change the spelling to add in
            another campaign that uses Sorcerer, but the class just stopped getting
            spells altogether (because it no longer matched the incorrect SORCEROR
            spelling).

            > How'd you get the info for Scarred Lands? Is it out already?
            > I though it wasn't due yet...

            The deities and their domains are available on the Sword and Sorcery
            website.

            > How did you get Scarred Lands to be a standalone that doesn't need
            > greyhawk, FR, or Star Wars selected?

            I added Scarred Lands to the the CAMPAIGN tag in the equipment and spell
            lists, hand-listed the skills/feats/languages/classes (basically the ones in
            the PHB), deities, domains, and races (core PHB races). There will be more
            spells (and certainly a bunch of other changes) from the Relics and Rituals
            and later sourcebooks on the Scarred Lands, but since the web release is the
            only thing out so far (besides the monsters in the Creature Collection),
            I've included whatever's out (still not ready for release just yet).

            I'm reconsidering doing the Hunt:Rise of Evil material. The only things
            available through web release so far are one class and one race - and the
            class has an irregular base attack progression, making it tough to add.
            When there's more material worth adding, I might consider it again. I've
            got a running list of about a dozen other d20 games that are in production
            that might be worth looking in to adding to the program as well - I'm
            thinking we can do an open call to game publishers once we solidify
            everything else we have in the works right now. If we turn LST file
            additions into a modular form (meaning we just copy, say, SL*.lst (for
            Scarred Lands) to the PCgen directory, make a couple of tweaks to the
            CAMPAIGN.LST file, and the program recognizes the additions), then we might
            be able to convince publishers to write the LST files themselves - wouldn't
            that be a kick in the pants to all those commercial generators... :) Even
            if we can't convince them to write the files themselves, we might be able to
            get access to content at lower prices (or have them send us the open content
            that gets included in the program). At the very least, we should be able to
            find people who use most of the games out there - we just need to look for
            them and let them know there's a utility out there that should be able to
            let them create characters for THEIR game, and they'll be itching to help
            us.....

            Dave