Re: OT (sort of) How my people use PCGen?

  • merton_monk <merton_monk@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 2, 2003
      True, though the fact that you have to download it separately and
      it's not a small download would discourage that. Even if we assume
      that 80% of the downloads are for unique users, that's still nearly
      50,000. If only 50% of our users download pdf.zip, we're at 100,000,
      which I think is quite reasonable. Arguing numbers is interesting (I
      do have a BS in Math!) but when based largely upon speculation it's
      hard to get too concerned with exact numbers. 100,000 is a
      reasonable number based upon the evidence we have and what we think
      are justifiable assertions. If our total number of users was closer
      to 4,000 PCGen would still cost the same. :)

      -Bryan

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "gildoggydogg <sgilroy2@w...>"
      <sgilroy2@w...> wrote:
      > But you also have to take into account that people having problems
      > with PDF my re-download the pdf.zip to try to resolve their
      problem.
      > Also people who install into a new directory every time might
      download
      > pdf.zip every time...this would skew the numbers in the other
      direction...

      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "merton_monk <merton_monk@y...>"
      > <merton_monk@y...> wrote:
      > > Unfortunately there's no exact way to determine how many users
      there
      > > are. According to SF there were 3189 downloads of
      > > pcgen424_part1of3.zip. I don't think most users get every
      release,
      > > so that would be the absolute minimum count. I think the number
      of
      > > downloads of the pdf.zip library is the most reliable basis for a
      > > count since users only need to download it once. According to SF
      it
      > > has been downloaded 59976 times. I don't think every user
      downloads
      > > it, but at least it gives us a good indication that we have at
      least
      > > 60,000 users. I think a lot of users get PCGen and then copy it
      > > other machines for their friends, which wouldn't add to our
      > > statistics, and a lot of groups have one person with a computer
      on
      > > which everyone maintains their character, so several users for
      one
      > > install of PCGen. My current thinking is that we have about
      100,000
      > > users - based upon the 60,000 pdf downloads and adjusted by a
      factor
      > > to account for users who don't download that library and for
      those
      > > who share copies of PCGen.
      > >
      > > -Bryan
      > > Code Monkey Publishing, Co-Founder
      > > Benevolent Dictator of PCGen
      > >

      > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "chris <waxman80014@y...>"
      > > <waxman80014@y...> wrote:
      > > > Is there a good why to tell how many PCGen users there are?
      When I
      > > > was a Gen Con I was told 4,000 I think... Can anyone tell how
      many
      > > > people had DLed the last verson?
    • Gordon Vincent
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 2, 2003
        At 06:06 PM 01/02/2003 +0000, "chris <waxman80014@...>"
        <waxman80014@...> wrote:

        >Subject: OT (sort of) How my people use PCGen?
        >
        >Is there a good why to tell how many PCGen users there are? When I
        >was a Gen Con I was told 4,000 I think... Can anyone tell how many
        >people had DLed the last verson?

        There are more users of PCGen than there are downloaders of the latest
        version. At least one of us is using a, uh, different version until certain
        restorations of, ah, function occur. So either add one to the number of
        downloads (if I'm alone), or add a zero to the end (if I'm not) to get the
        more accurate number.

        Gordon Vincent

        "I have just as much authority as the Pope;
        I just don't have as many people who believe it."
      • Rob Hines Jr.
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 2, 2003
          For some reason, my hand built Rokugan lst files, don't interact well with
          the others, and when I try and convert them to the new version, and
          rebuild my Rogue/Fighter/Samurai, I end up with a BAB of like +26 at
          9th level, which is puzzling, and too much trouble to resolve, since it
          works in 3.1.

          On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, gildoggydogg <sgilroy2@...> wrote:

          I'm suprised by that...I have just kept the sources from version 2.7.6
          and converted them with the list converters up to 4.2.4 with no
          problems at all. I haven't had a chance to download 4.2.5 but I don't
          anticipate any problems getting into that version either.

          <snip>
          > since I still use version 3.1, because all the old sources still work
          > properly in that version (Yes, I've tried to use the lst converters to
          > move to the latest versions, to no avail)
          </snip>

          Rob

          ----
          Rob Hines Jr.
          Systems Administrator

          (http://www.geekcode.com)
        • henrythelesser <henrythelesser@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 2, 2003
            <merton_monk@y...> wrote:
            > True, though the fact that you have to download it separately and
            > it's not a small download would discourage that. Even if we assume
            > that 80% of the downloads are for unique users, that's still nearly
            > 50,000. If only 50% of our users download pdf.zip, we're at
            100,000,
            > which I think is quite reasonable.

            Bryan, I'm about to make you a slightly unhappy man, since I myself
            have downloaded PDF.zip at least five times in the past year. Twice
            at work, because I accidentally erased it, and three times at home,
            to give two friends copies, before I finally decided I wanted it for
            myself. If my example is even removely typical, that'll shave off
            about 10,000 users alone. :-)
          • Kent at home
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 2, 2003
              From: <henrythelesser@...>
              > "merton_monk wrote:
              > > True, though the fact that you have to download it separately and
              > > it's not a small download would discourage that. Even if we assume
              > > that 80% of the downloads are for unique users, that's still nearly
              > > 50,000. If only 50% of our users download pdf.zip, we're at 100,000,
              > > which I think is quite reasonable.
              >
              > Bryan, I'm about to make you a slightly unhappy man, since I myself
              > have downloaded PDF.zip at least five times in the past year. Twice
              > at work, because I accidentally erased it, and three times at home,
              > to give two friends copies, before I finally decided I wanted it for
              > myself. If my example is even removely typical, that'll shave off
              > about 10,000 users alone. :-)

              Don't think so. You downloaded 5 times for 3 users. I game with 9 other people +
              self, all using PCGen, none of whom have ever downloaded the PDF stuff. That's 5
              downloads for 13 users.

              Kent
            • Lee Dowd
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003
                Along similar lines I have downloaded it about 3 times
                given it to at least one friend and it has been used
                for the characters of at least 10 people on my
                machine. This sort of thing makes guessomg accirate
                mumbers an exercise in futility. Based on what I've
                seen 10K is probably on the low side and 500K on the
                high side but that's not very useful is it.

                <henrythelesser@...> wrote:
                > Bryan, I'm about to make you a slightly unhappy man,
                > since I myself
                > have downloaded PDF.zip at least five times in the
                > past year. Twice
                > at work, because I accidentally erased it, and three
                > times at home,
                > to give two friends copies, before I finally decided
                > I wanted it for
                > myself. If my example is even removely typical,
                > that'll shave off
                > about 10,000 users alone. :-)
                .

                http://mailplus.yahoo.com
              • Jonathan M. Thompson
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003
                  Its used quite a bit for characters going into books, and also including
                  myself 4 people have made up characters for Cityscape games on my PC.

                  Jonathan M. Thompson
                  President, Battlefield Press, Inc.(http://www.battlefieldpress.com)
                  jthompson@...
                  Corporate Supers (A Metahuman Sourcebook for Cityscape) - Available
                  January 2003

                  Along similar lines I have downloaded it about 3 times
                  given it to at least one friend and it has been used

                  ---
                • chris <waxman80014@yahoo.com>
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003
                    WOW!!!!!

                  • dlm1065 <dlm1065@hotmail.com>
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003
                      <waxman80014@y...> wrote:
                      > WOW!!!!!
                      >
                      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "gildoggydogg <sgilroy2@w...>"
                      > <sgilroy2@w...> wrote:
                      > > According to Sourceforge 3189 downloaded part 1 of PCGen
                      > > 4.2.4...that's probably the best estimate.
                      > >
                      > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "chris <waxman80014@y...>"
                      > > <waxman80014@y...> wrote:
                      > > > Is there a good why to tell how many PCGen users there are?
                      When
                      > > > was a Gen Con I was told 4,000 I think... Can anyone tell how
                      > many
                      > > > people had DLed the last verson?
                      Doanloads don't give a realistic idea of pcgen users though. The
                      reason I say this is I download it add in some things friends and I
                      use burn it to cd and pass it on to some of my freinds and I can't
                      imagine I'm the only one doing that.
                    • bd_92 <bd_92@yahoo.com>
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003
                        i use it...isn't it all that matters :)

                        b "most famousest person"D

                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "dlm1065 <dlm1065@h...>" <dlm1065@h...>

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003
                            we use it because its the best.
                            it's customizeable, editable, stabe
                            heck kick it and it's like Timex
                            still runs even as the errors fly because ny typos <GRIN>
                            (free makes it even better)

                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan M. Thompson"

                          • bd_92 <bd_92@yahoo.com>
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003
                              and i even got it to run in linux! Yippie!!

                              b "i be a 1337 h@X0r!"D

                            • bd_92 <bd_92@yahoo.com>
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003
                                why do you ALWAYS have to steal my thunder...sheesh

                                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Hines Jr." <rook-yahoogroups@i...>
                                wrote:
                                > Actually...I got it to run on linux. :)
                                >
                                > On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, bd_92 <bd_92@y...> wrote:
                                >
                                > and i even got it to run in linux! Yippie!!
                                >

                                > b "i be a 1337 h@X0r!"D

                              • Rob Hines Jr.
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003

                                  wrote:
                                  > we use it because its the best.
                                  > it's customizeable, editable, stabe
                                  > heck kick it and it's like Timex
                                  > still runs even as the errors fly because ny typos <GRIN>
                                  > (free makes it even better)
                                  >
                                  > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan M. Thompson"
                                  > <jthompson@b...> wrote:
                                  > > And you would be? <GRIN>
                                  > >
                                  > > Jonathan M. Thompson
                                  > > President, Battlefield Press, Inc.
                                  > (http://www.battlefieldpress.com)
                                  > > jthompson@b...
                                  > > Corporate Supers (A Metahuman Sourcebook for Cityscape) -
                                  Available
                                  > > January 2003

                                  Rob

                                  ----
                                  Rob Hines Jr.
                                  Systems Administrator

                                  (http://www.geekcode.com)
                                • cyberfunkr <cyberfunkr@yahoo.com>
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003
                                    I don't use it. I'm just here to read the nifty digests :)

                                    /Cyberfunkr