Re: OT (sort of) How my people use PCGen?

  • gildoggydogg <sgilroy2@woh.rr.com>
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 2, 2003
      I'm suprised by that...I have just kept the sources from version 2.7.6
      and converted them with the list converters up to 4.2.4 with no
      problems at all. I haven't had a chance to download 4.2.5 but I don't
      anticipate any problems getting into that version either.

      <snip>
      > since I still use version 3.1, because all the old sources still work
      > properly in that version (Yes, I've tried to use the lst converters to
      > move to the latest versions, to no avail)
      </snip>
    • gildoggydogg <sgilroy2@woh.rr.com>
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 2, 2003
        But you also have to take into account that people having problems
        with PDF my re-download the pdf.zip to try to resolve their problem.
        Also people who install into a new directory every time might download
        pdf.zip every time...this would skew the numbers in the other direction...

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "merton_monk <merton_monk@y...>"

      • merton_monk <merton_monk@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 2, 2003
          True, though the fact that you have to download it separately and
          it's not a small download would discourage that. Even if we assume
          that 80% of the downloads are for unique users, that's still nearly
          50,000. If only 50% of our users download pdf.zip, we're at 100,000,
          which I think is quite reasonable. Arguing numbers is interesting (I
          do have a BS in Math!) but when based largely upon speculation it's
          hard to get too concerned with exact numbers. 100,000 is a
          reasonable number based upon the evidence we have and what we think
          are justifiable assertions. If our total number of users was closer
          to 4,000 PCGen would still cost the same. :)

          -Bryan

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "gildoggydogg <sgilroy2@w...>"

        • Gordon Vincent
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 2, 2003
            At 06:06 PM 01/02/2003 +0000, "chris <waxman80014@...>"
            <waxman80014@...> wrote:

            >Subject: OT (sort of) How my people use PCGen?
            >
            >Is there a good why to tell how many PCGen users there are? When I
            >was a Gen Con I was told 4,000 I think... Can anyone tell how many
            >people had DLed the last verson?

            There are more users of PCGen than there are downloaders of the latest
            version. At least one of us is using a, uh, different version until certain
            restorations of, ah, function occur. So either add one to the number of
            downloads (if I'm alone), or add a zero to the end (if I'm not) to get the
            more accurate number.

            Gordon Vincent

            "I have just as much authority as the Pope;
            I just don't have as many people who believe it."
          • Rob Hines Jr.
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 2, 2003
              For some reason, my hand built Rokugan lst files, don't interact well with
              the others, and when I try and convert them to the new version, and
              rebuild my Rogue/Fighter/Samurai, I end up with a BAB of like +26 at
              9th level, which is puzzling, and too much trouble to resolve, since it
              works in 3.1.

              On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, gildoggydogg <sgilroy2@...> wrote:

              I'm suprised by that...I have just kept the sources from version 2.7.6
              and converted them with the list converters up to 4.2.4 with no
              problems at all. I haven't had a chance to download 4.2.5 but I don't
              anticipate any problems getting into that version either.

              <snip>
              > since I still use version 3.1, because all the old sources still work
              > properly in that version (Yes, I've tried to use the lst converters to
              > move to the latest versions, to no avail)
              </snip>

              Rob

              ----
              Rob Hines Jr.
              Systems Administrator

              (http://www.geekcode.com)
            • henrythelesser <henrythelesser@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 2, 2003
                <merton_monk@y...> wrote:
                > True, though the fact that you have to download it separately and
                > it's not a small download would discourage that. Even if we assume
                > that 80% of the downloads are for unique users, that's still nearly
                > 50,000. If only 50% of our users download pdf.zip, we're at
                100,000,
                > which I think is quite reasonable.

                Bryan, I'm about to make you a slightly unhappy man, since I myself
                have downloaded PDF.zip at least five times in the past year. Twice
                at work, because I accidentally erased it, and three times at home,
                to give two friends copies, before I finally decided I wanted it for
                myself. If my example is even removely typical, that'll shave off
                about 10,000 users alone. :-)
              • Kent at home
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 2, 2003
                  From: <henrythelesser@...>
                  > "merton_monk wrote:
                  > > True, though the fact that you have to download it separately and
                  > > it's not a small download would discourage that. Even if we assume
                  > > that 80% of the downloads are for unique users, that's still nearly
                  > > 50,000. If only 50% of our users download pdf.zip, we're at 100,000,
                  > > which I think is quite reasonable.
                  >
                  > Bryan, I'm about to make you a slightly unhappy man, since I myself
                  > have downloaded PDF.zip at least five times in the past year. Twice
                  > at work, because I accidentally erased it, and three times at home,
                  > to give two friends copies, before I finally decided I wanted it for
                  > myself. If my example is even removely typical, that'll shave off
                  > about 10,000 users alone. :-)

                  Don't think so. You downloaded 5 times for 3 users. I game with 9 other people +
                  self, all using PCGen, none of whom have ever downloaded the PDF stuff. That's 5
                  downloads for 13 users.

                  Kent
                • Lee Dowd
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003
                    Along similar lines I have downloaded it about 3 times
                    given it to at least one friend and it has been used
                    for the characters of at least 10 people on my
                    machine. This sort of thing makes guessomg accirate
                    mumbers an exercise in futility. Based on what I've
                    seen 10K is probably on the low side and 500K on the
                    high side but that's not very useful is it.

                    <henrythelesser@...> wrote:
                    > Bryan, I'm about to make you a slightly unhappy man,
                    > since I myself
                    > have downloaded PDF.zip at least five times in the
                    > past year. Twice
                    > at work, because I accidentally erased it, and three
                    > times at home,
                    > to give two friends copies, before I finally decided
                    > I wanted it for
                    > myself. If my example is even removely typical,
                    > that'll shave off
                    > about 10,000 users alone. :-)
                    .

                    http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                  • Jonathan M. Thompson
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003
                      Its used quite a bit for characters going into books, and also including
                      myself 4 people have made up characters for Cityscape games on my PC.

                      Jonathan M. Thompson
                      President, Battlefield Press, Inc.(http://www.battlefieldpress.com)
                      jthompson@...
                      Corporate Supers (A Metahuman Sourcebook for Cityscape) - Available
                      January 2003

                      Along similar lines I have downloaded it about 3 times
                      given it to at least one friend and it has been used

                      ---
                    • chris <waxman80014@yahoo.com>
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003
                        WOW!!!!!

                      • dlm1065 <dlm1065@hotmail.com>
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003
                          <waxman80014@y...> wrote:
                          > WOW!!!!!
                          >
                          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "gildoggydogg <sgilroy2@w...>"
                          > <sgilroy2@w...> wrote:
                          > > According to Sourceforge 3189 downloaded part 1 of PCGen
                          > > 4.2.4...that's probably the best estimate.
                          > >
                          > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "chris <waxman80014@y...>"
                          > > <waxman80014@y...> wrote:
                          > > > Is there a good why to tell how many PCGen users there are?
                          When
                          > > > was a Gen Con I was told 4,000 I think... Can anyone tell how
                          > many
                          > > > people had DLed the last verson?
                          Doanloads don't give a realistic idea of pcgen users though. The
                          reason I say this is I download it add in some things friends and I
                          use burn it to cd and pass it on to some of my freinds and I can't
                          imagine I'm the only one doing that.
                        • bd_92 <bd_92@yahoo.com>
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003
                            i use it...isn't it all that matters :)

                            b "most famousest person"D

                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "dlm1065 <dlm1065@h...>" <dlm1065@h...>

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003
                                we use it because its the best.
                                it's customizeable, editable, stabe
                                heck kick it and it's like Timex
                                still runs even as the errors fly because ny typos <GRIN>
                                (free makes it even better)

                                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan M. Thompson"

                              • bd_92 <bd_92@yahoo.com>
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003
                                  and i even got it to run in linux! Yippie!!

                                  b "i be a 1337 h@X0r!"D

                                • bd_92 <bd_92@yahoo.com>
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003
                                    why do you ALWAYS have to steal my thunder...sheesh

                                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Hines Jr." <rook-yahoogroups@i...>
                                    wrote:
                                    > Actually...I got it to run on linux. :)
                                    >
                                    > On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, bd_92 <bd_92@y...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > and i even got it to run in linux! Yippie!!
                                    >

                                    > b "i be a 1337 h@X0r!"D

                                  • Rob Hines Jr.
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003

                                      wrote:
                                      > we use it because its the best.
                                      > it's customizeable, editable, stabe
                                      > heck kick it and it's like Timex
                                      > still runs even as the errors fly because ny typos <GRIN>
                                      > (free makes it even better)
                                      >
                                      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan M. Thompson"
                                      > <jthompson@b...> wrote:
                                      > > And you would be? <GRIN>
                                      > >
                                      > > Jonathan M. Thompson
                                      > > President, Battlefield Press, Inc.
                                      > (http://www.battlefieldpress.com)
                                      > > jthompson@b...
                                      > > Corporate Supers (A Metahuman Sourcebook for Cityscape) -
                                      Available
                                      > > January 2003

                                      Rob

                                      ----
                                      Rob Hines Jr.
                                      Systems Administrator

                                      (http://www.geekcode.com)
                                    • cyberfunkr <cyberfunkr@yahoo.com>
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003
                                        I don't use it. I'm just here to read the nifty digests :)

                                        /Cyberfunkr