OT (sort of) How my people use PCGen?

  • chris <waxman80014@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 2, 2003
      Is there a good why to tell how many PCGen users there are? When I
      was a Gen Con I was told 4,000 I think... Can anyone tell how many
      people had DLed the last verson?
    • gildoggydogg <sgilroy2@woh.rr.com>
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 2, 2003
        According to Sourceforge 3189 downloaded part 1 of PCGen
        4.2.4...that's probably the best estimate.

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "chris <waxman80014@y...>"
        <waxman80014@y...> wrote:
        > Is there a good why to tell how many PCGen users there are? When I
        > was a Gen Con I was told 4,000 I think... Can anyone tell how many
        > people had DLed the last verson?
      • Patrick R. Sklenar
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 2, 2003
          On Thu, 02 Jan 2003 18:29:47 -0000, "gildoggydogg"
          <sgilroy2@...> wrote:

          > According to Sourceforge 3189 downloaded part 1 of PCGen
          > 4.2.4...that's probably the best estimate.

          But don't forget that there are many of us who don't keep up
          with the latest and greatest. I'm still at 4.1.4. The characters I'm
          maintaining via PCGen use several custom template/LST files and several
          custom items. I simply haven't had time to manually convert them over
          to a newer version and I'm sure I'm not the only one. :)

          Maybe double that estimate?

          --
          pat----

          pat@... ---===--- http://www.sklenar.info/
        • Rob Hines Jr.
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 2, 2003
            Which is not necessarily representative of the actual number of users,
            since I still use version 3.1, because all the old sources still work
            properly in that version (Yes, I've tried to use the lst converters to
            move to the latest versions, to no avail)

            So there are probably people who don't upgrade all the time who still use
            old versions because they finally got those old versions to do just what
            they need and it's a pain to move to a newer one.

            <waxman80014@y...> wrote:
            > Is there a good why to tell how many PCGen users there are? When I
            > was a Gen Con I was told 4,000 I think... Can anyone tell how many
            > people had DLed the last verson?

            Rob

            ----
            Rob Hines Jr.
            Systems Administrator

            (http://www.geekcode.com)
          • merton_monk <merton_monk@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 2, 2003
              Unfortunately there's no exact way to determine how many users there
              are. According to SF there were 3189 downloads of
              pcgen424_part1of3.zip. I don't think most users get every release,
              so that would be the absolute minimum count. I think the number of
              downloads of the pdf.zip library is the most reliable basis for a
              count since users only need to download it once. According to SF it
              has been downloaded 59976 times. I don't think every user downloads
              it, but at least it gives us a good indication that we have at least
              60,000 users. I think a lot of users get PCGen and then copy it to
              other machines for their friends, which wouldn't add to our
              statistics, and a lot of groups have one person with a computer on
              which everyone maintains their character, so several users for one
              install of PCGen. My current thinking is that we have about 100,000
              users - based upon the 60,000 pdf downloads and adjusted by a factor
              to account for users who don't download that library and for those
              who share copies of PCGen.

              -Bryan
              Code Monkey Publishing, Co-Founder
              Benevolent Dictator of PCGen

              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 2, 2003
                I'm suprised by that...I have just kept the sources from version 2.7.6
                and converted them with the list converters up to 4.2.4 with no
                problems at all. I haven't had a chance to download 4.2.5 but I don't
                anticipate any problems getting into that version either.

                <snip>
                > since I still use version 3.1, because all the old sources still work
                > properly in that version (Yes, I've tried to use the lst converters to
                > move to the latest versions, to no avail)
                </snip>
              • gildoggydogg <sgilroy2@woh.rr.com>
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 2, 2003
                  But you also have to take into account that people having problems
                  with PDF my re-download the pdf.zip to try to resolve their problem.
                  Also people who install into a new directory every time might download
                  pdf.zip every time...this would skew the numbers in the other direction...

                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "merton_monk <merton_monk@y...>"

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 2, 2003
                    True, though the fact that you have to download it separately and
                    it's not a small download would discourage that. Even if we assume
                    that 80% of the downloads are for unique users, that's still nearly
                    50,000. If only 50% of our users download pdf.zip, we're at 100,000,
                    which I think is quite reasonable. Arguing numbers is interesting (I
                    do have a BS in Math!) but when based largely upon speculation it's
                    hard to get too concerned with exact numbers. 100,000 is a
                    reasonable number based upon the evidence we have and what we think
                    are justifiable assertions. If our total number of users was closer
                    to 4,000 PCGen would still cost the same. :)

                    -Bryan

                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "gildoggydogg <sgilroy2@w...>"

                  • Gordon Vincent
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 2, 2003
                      At 06:06 PM 01/02/2003 +0000, "chris <waxman80014@...>"
                      <waxman80014@...> wrote:

                      >Subject: OT (sort of) How my people use PCGen?
                      >
                      >Is there a good why to tell how many PCGen users there are? When I
                      >was a Gen Con I was told 4,000 I think... Can anyone tell how many
                      >people had DLed the last verson?

                      There are more users of PCGen than there are downloaders of the latest
                      version. At least one of us is using a, uh, different version until certain
                      restorations of, ah, function occur. So either add one to the number of
                      downloads (if I'm alone), or add a zero to the end (if I'm not) to get the
                      more accurate number.

                      Gordon Vincent

                      "I have just as much authority as the Pope;
                      I just don't have as many people who believe it."
                    • Rob Hines Jr.
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 2, 2003
                        For some reason, my hand built Rokugan lst files, don't interact well with
                        the others, and when I try and convert them to the new version, and
                        rebuild my Rogue/Fighter/Samurai, I end up with a BAB of like +26 at
                        9th level, which is puzzling, and too much trouble to resolve, since it
                        works in 3.1.

                      • henrythelesser <henrythelesser@yahoo.com>
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 2, 2003
                          <merton_monk@y...> wrote:
                          > True, though the fact that you have to download it separately and
                          > it's not a small download would discourage that. Even if we assume
                          > that 80% of the downloads are for unique users, that's still nearly
                          > 50,000. If only 50% of our users download pdf.zip, we're at
                          100,000,
                          > which I think is quite reasonable.

                          Bryan, I'm about to make you a slightly unhappy man, since I myself
                          have downloaded PDF.zip at least five times in the past year. Twice
                          at work, because I accidentally erased it, and three times at home,
                          to give two friends copies, before I finally decided I wanted it for
                          myself. If my example is even removely typical, that'll shave off
                          about 10,000 users alone. :-)
                        • Kent at home
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 2, 2003
                            From: <henrythelesser@...>
                            > "merton_monk wrote:
                            > > True, though the fact that you have to download it separately and
                            > > it's not a small download would discourage that. Even if we assume
                            > > that 80% of the downloads are for unique users, that's still nearly
                            > > 50,000. If only 50% of our users download pdf.zip, we're at 100,000,
                            > > which I think is quite reasonable.
                            >
                            > Bryan, I'm about to make you a slightly unhappy man, since I myself
                            > have downloaded PDF.zip at least five times in the past year. Twice
                            > at work, because I accidentally erased it, and three times at home,
                            > to give two friends copies, before I finally decided I wanted it for
                            > myself. If my example is even removely typical, that'll shave off
                            > about 10,000 users alone. :-)

                            Don't think so. You downloaded 5 times for 3 users. I game with 9 other people +
                            self, all using PCGen, none of whom have ever downloaded the PDF stuff. That's 5
                            downloads for 13 users.

                            Kent
                          • Lee Dowd
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003
                              Along similar lines I have downloaded it about 3 times
                              given it to at least one friend and it has been used
                              for the characters of at least 10 people on my
                              machine. This sort of thing makes guessomg accirate
                              mumbers an exercise in futility. Based on what I've
                              seen 10K is probably on the low side and 500K on the
                              high side but that's not very useful is it.

                              <henrythelesser@...> wrote:
                              > Bryan, I'm about to make you a slightly unhappy man,
                              > since I myself
                              > have downloaded PDF.zip at least five times in the
                              > past year. Twice
                              > at work, because I accidentally erased it, and three
                              > times at home,
                              > to give two friends copies, before I finally decided
                              > I wanted it for
                              > myself. If my example is even removely typical,
                              > that'll shave off
                              > about 10,000 users alone. :-)
                              .

                              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                            • Jonathan M. Thompson
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003
                                Its used quite a bit for characters going into books, and also including
                                myself 4 people have made up characters for Cityscape games on my PC.

                                Jonathan M. Thompson
                                President, Battlefield Press, Inc.(http://www.battlefieldpress.com)
                                jthompson@...
                                Corporate Supers (A Metahuman Sourcebook for Cityscape) - Available
                                January 2003

                                Along similar lines I have downloaded it about 3 times
                                given it to at least one friend and it has been used

                                ---
                              • chris <waxman80014@yahoo.com>
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003
                                  WOW!!!!!

                                • dlm1065 <dlm1065@hotmail.com>
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003
                                    <waxman80014@y...> wrote:
                                    > WOW!!!!!
                                    >
                                    > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "gildoggydogg <sgilroy2@w...>"
                                    > <sgilroy2@w...> wrote:
                                    > > According to Sourceforge 3189 downloaded part 1 of PCGen
                                    > > 4.2.4...that's probably the best estimate.
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "chris <waxman80014@y...>"
                                    > > <waxman80014@y...> wrote:
                                    > > > Is there a good why to tell how many PCGen users there are?
                                    When
                                    > > > was a Gen Con I was told 4,000 I think... Can anyone tell how
                                    > many
                                    > > > people had DLed the last verson?
                                    Doanloads don't give a realistic idea of pcgen users though. The
                                    reason I say this is I download it add in some things friends and I
                                    use burn it to cd and pass it on to some of my freinds and I can't
                                    imagine I'm the only one doing that.
                                  • bd_92 <bd_92@yahoo.com>
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003
                                      i use it...isn't it all that matters :)

                                      b "most famousest person"D

                                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "dlm1065 <dlm1065@h...>" <dlm1065@h...>

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003
                                          we use it because its the best.
                                          it's customizeable, editable, stabe
                                          heck kick it and it's like Timex
                                          still runs even as the errors fly because ny typos <GRIN>
                                          (free makes it even better)

                                          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan M. Thompson"

                                        • bd_92 <bd_92@yahoo.com>
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003
                                            and i even got it to run in linux! Yippie!!

                                            b "i be a 1337 h@X0r!"D

                                          • bd_92 <bd_92@yahoo.com>
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003
                                              why do you ALWAYS have to steal my thunder...sheesh

                                              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Hines Jr." <rook-yahoogroups@i...>
                                              wrote:
                                              > Actually...I got it to run on linux. :)
                                              >
                                              > On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, bd_92 <bd_92@y...> wrote:
                                              >
                                              > and i even got it to run in linux! Yippie!!
                                              >

                                              > b "i be a 1337 h@X0r!"D

                                            • Rob Hines Jr.
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003

                                                wrote:
                                                > we use it because its the best.
                                                > it's customizeable, editable, stabe
                                                > heck kick it and it's like Timex
                                                > still runs even as the errors fly because ny typos <GRIN>
                                                > (free makes it even better)
                                                >
                                                > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan M. Thompson"
                                                > <jthompson@b...> wrote:
                                                > > And you would be? <GRIN>
                                                > >
                                                > > Jonathan M. Thompson
                                                > > President, Battlefield Press, Inc.
                                                > (http://www.battlefieldpress.com)
                                                > > jthompson@b...
                                                > > Corporate Supers (A Metahuman Sourcebook for Cityscape) -
                                                Available
                                                > > January 2003

                                                Rob

                                                ----
                                                Rob Hines Jr.
                                                Systems Administrator

                                                (http://www.geekcode.com)
                                              • cyberfunkr <cyberfunkr@yahoo.com>
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jan 3, 2003
                                                  I don't use it. I'm just here to read the nifty digests :)

                                                  /Cyberfunkr