Newbie needing help

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2002
      Sorry if this sounds dumb, but I just found PCGen and downloaded it. My question is, is there a manul on how to run it? I can't get it to do anything.

      Thanks,

      Jeff

      AOL IM: Ciaran1963
      MSN Messenger: ciaran63@...
      Yahoo IM: ciaran1963@...

      "Never attribute to malice that which can adequately
      be explained by incompetence" - Hanlon's Razor

      "It's hard to be religious when certain people are never
      incinerated by bolts of lightning." - Calvin

      "A pessimist is a man who looks both ways when he's crossing a one-way street." - Laurence J. Peter, Canadian-born educator and author of "The Peter Principle"

      "Religion is for those who fear Hell. Spirituality is for those who have been there."
      - Author Unknown

    • Timothy J. Lanza
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2002
        At 03:41 PM 12/31/2002, Jeff wrote:
        >Sorry if this sounds dumb, but I just found PCGen and downloaded it. My question is, is there a manul on how to run it? I can't get it to do anything.

        Because it's not a standard compiled Windows application (or any other OS, for that matter), but a Java application, there is no commonly recognizable application executable. The file you're looking for is pcgen.jar; if you're using windows, you can use pcgen.bat too.

        If those do nothing, chances are that you don't have the Java Runtime Environment installed. If you need that, wander over to http://sun.java.com/ and download the 1.4.x (I'm not sure what the current/best "x" is) JRE.

        --
        Timothy J. Lanza
      • Eric Beaudoin
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 31, 2002
          At 15:41 2002.12.31, Jeff wrote:
          >Sorry if this sounds dumb, but I just found PCGen and downloaded it. My question is, is there a manul on how to run it? I can't get it to do anything.
          >
          >Thanks,
          >
          >Jeff

          When you unzip pcgen424_part3of3.zip, it should create a docs directory somewhere. Just open the file indexmain.htm to get the "manual".

          >[snip.]
          >
          >"A pessimist is a man who looks both ways when he's crossing a one-way street." - Laurence J. Peter, Canadian-born educator and author of "The Peter Principle"

          M. Peter obviously never came to Montreal. We look both ways here becase the cars come equiped with a reverse gear :-).

          √Čric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
          <mailto:beaudoer@...>