PCGen crashing my video card

  • paqd <paqd@sympatico.ca>
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 29 5:53 PM
      Hi all,

      I have a small problem and was wondering if you could help me.

      I tried to use PCGen recently

      The problem: Once in a while, when I click on anything in the
      pcgen/swing interface, all the PC seems to lock up for 10 seconds
      and after that my video card seems to die on me and everything turns
      to black (I can even hear the monitor switching off). I can still
      use keyboard shortcut to shutdown the PC, so it is still functional.
      It ususally does that after about 15 minutes of usage.

      *My research for a resolution up to now:
      *Upgraded the mouse drivers. (On the original PS/2 mouse I had
      installed)
      *Upgraded to the latest video and sound drivers
      *Installed Direct X 9.0
      *After looking at the Asus forums, I bought a USB mouse and
      installed it's latest drivers. (At this point I thought that I had a
      viable solution since the asus) board members seemed to have noticed
      that a PS/2 mouse connected on a P4S333 MB could cause any 3d
      graphics to crash the PC, ideed, all my games started to work much
      better now.
      *The problem seems to happen only on WinXP and Win2k. Not on win98
      *At the office I have Win2k and it works perfectly. (So I suspect my
      Video card)

      The big question is : Why does PCgen, and all Swing interfaces, with
      my particular video card and win XP/2k have this kind of behavior.
      Anyone met this problem, Any thoughts?

      I have a :
      Asus MB P4S333
      Pentium 4 1.6 Ghz
      256 meg DDR
      Leadtek GeForce3 titatium 200 with 128 meg ram
      Soundblaster live 5.1 sound card
      A optical USB mouse
      A USB keyboard
      WinXP SP1

      Dominique Paquin
    • pjak <pjak@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 30 4:34 AM
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "paqd <paqd@s...>" <paqd@s...> wrote:
        > *Upgraded to the latest video and sound drivers

        Are you using Leadtek's latest drivers or Nvidia's latest drivers?
        Either way, uninstall whichever you're using and install the others.

        Leadtek drivers can be found here:
        http://www.leadtek.com.tw/www/Web_Leadtek/drive02.asp?pronameid=106

        And the current Nvidia drivers can be found here:
        http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=winxp-2k_41.09

        I've personally switched to always using the latest nvidia drivers,
        and it works fine for me.

        > WinXP SP1

        I assume you've tried it already, but if not, make sure you've been
        to Windows Update and gotten all the latest patches:

        http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

        /Jonas
      • pjak <pjak@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 30 4:38 AM
          Dang, I forgot a couple of things, go to the Preferences dialog and
          try the following:
          Uncheck Appearance/Display Options/Use Automatic Busy Cursor.
          Uncheck Appearance/Display Options/Show Tooltip Text.
          Switch Appearance/Look and Feel to whichever of System and Java you
          are not currently using.

          These items have sometimes caused problems for some users.

          /Jonas
        • paqd <paqd@sympatico.ca>
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 30 7:50 AM
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "pjak <pjak@y...>" <pjak@y...> wrote:
            > Dang, I forgot a couple of things, go to the Preferences dialog
            and
            > try the following:
            > Uncheck Appearance/Display Options/Use Automatic Busy Cursor.
            > Uncheck Appearance/Display Options/Show Tooltip Text.
            > Switch Appearance/Look and Feel to whichever of System and Java
            you
            > are not currently using.
            >
            > These items have sometimes caused problems for some users.
            >
            > /Jonas

            Thanks for both your answers Jonas.

            For the drivers, I always used those of nvidia. I will go to Leadtek
            and try their drivers, go to windows for the updates and will make
            the modifications suggested here.

            BTW, the BIOS update did nothign to correct my problem. I still have
            to try an older JRE.

            Thanks again.
            -Dominique
          • pjak <pjak@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 30 9:13 AM
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "paqd <paqd@s...>" <paqd@s...> wrote:
              > Thanks again.

              I just came across another possibility over on the Hero Designer
              board (it's a java app for designing Hero Games characters.) If the
              windows font file has become corrupted the machine can reboot. I
              remember someone said they had this problem with pcgen as well.

              Look about halfway down the thread.

              http://www.herogames.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000367.html

              /Jonas
            • gildoggydogg <sgilroy2@woh.rr.com>
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 30 9:30 AM
                But the system isn't rebooting...the screen is just going
                black...he/she can still use the keyboard shortcuts to
                Start->Shutdown->Reboot.

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "pjak <pjak@y...>" <pjak@y...> wrote:
                > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "paqd <paqd@s...>" <paqd@s...> wrote:
                > > Thanks again.
                >
                > I just came across another possibility over on the Hero Designer
                > board (it's a java app for designing Hero Games characters.) If the
                > windows font file has become corrupted the machine can reboot. I
                > remember someone said they had this problem with pcgen as well.
                >
                > Look about halfway down the thread.
                >
                > http://www.herogames.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000367.html
                >
                > /Jonas
              • Dominique Paquin
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 30 9:45 AM
                  It;s funny that you talk about herodesigner. That is the first program with wich I started having these problems. In this thread (http://www.herogames.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000212.html) , I detail what I did to try to resolve the problem, unfortunately, I the last post I did, I said that I had the problem cornered and corrected, but it was not after some time. I then encountered the problem with PCGen (I had actually installed it to see if Hero Designer was the only program with this problem)

                  I looked at the thing and it is different than what I have. My PC does not reboot, I only lose the video card. But I will try it anyway. I am at the point of trying anything top make this work :)

                  Thanks again for you research :)
                  -Dominique

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 30 10:38 AM
                    One more question,

                    Would it be possible to redirect the Java exceptions trace in a file at the place of the dos box?
                    Since I lose the video card, I can't see if any exceptions thrown.

                    -Dominique
                    I am a He BTW! :)

                  • Eric Beaudoin
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 30 10:45 AM
                      At 13:38 2002.12.30, Dominique Paquin wrote:
                      >One more question,
                      >
                      >Would it be possible to redirect the Java exceptions trace in a file at the place of the dos box?
                      >Since I lose the video card, I can't see if any exceptions thrown.
                      >
                      >-Dominique
                      >I am a He BTW! :)

                      On the PCGEN list, nobody knows you're a Monkey :-).

                      If you are using a NT/2000/XP box, you can redirect STDOUT by using the > sign on the command line and STDERR by using 2> on the command line.

                      So this should work for you:

                      pcgen.bat >output.txt 2>error.txt

                      I'm not sure if you will have your output in output.txt or error.txt (or both) but you should catch everything in one file or the other.

                      Best

                      Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
                      <mailto:beaudoer@...>
                    • Dominique Paquin
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 30 11:50 AM
                        Thanks Eric,

                        As a reallyu [OT] question, are you from Quebec?

                        -Dominique

                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 30 12:03 PM
                          At 14:50 2002.12.30, Dominique Paquin wrote:
                          >Thanks Eric,
                          >
                          >As a reallyu [OT] question, are you from Quebec?

                          Montreal, last time I check we were still in Quebec but that might change since were the only one in North-Armerica not allowed to turn right on the red lights, we might secede out of spite :-).

                          Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
                          <mailto:beaudoer@...>
                        • dlm1065 <dlm1065@hotmail.com>
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 9, 2003
                            Are you using themes, have active desktop turned on, have a low time
                            before the screen saver kicks in? Have heard about the one and seen
                            themes have problems with custom java applets at a state agency I
                            used to worked for. The only thing was the black/blank screen
                            usually only showed up when the screen saver kicked in. I flipped
                            user back to windows basics problem went away, flip problem back,
                            uninstalled/reinstalled themes seemed to fix problem. Don't know
                            this is his problem but its a shot.
                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "gildoggydogg <sgilroy2@w...>"