Re: The Problems with PCGen and Solutions?

  • Chris Wachal
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 6, 2001
      > The feats tab looks very different - most tabs (feats included) are
      > dominated by a table displaying all the relevant info. For feats
      > this means whether or not you qualify for it, it's name, how you
      have
      > it (virtual, no, yes), any pre-requisites, it's description and
      > source file. The options (virtual, yes, no) is actually a button,
      > and by clicking on the button you're selecting/de-selecting the
      feat
      > (any choices related to it are then presented). You can sort by
      any
      > column in the table (same for all tables in PCGen except for the
      > stats table) and you can even filter out which feats are
      displayed.
      > Our API will be open, so your friend would be able to construct his
      > own interface if he wanted to. A largely drag-and-drop type
      > interface would certainly be a good choice, but I like the amount
      of
      > info you can provide in a table. It also gives you more sorting
      > options than you'd have in a drag-n-drop solution. Just comes down
      > preferences.

      I agree, however, I like to be able to see the feats I currently have
      in a quick list so that I can see "I've spend 2 feats on toughness, I
      already have power attack, hmm...I guess I could take cleave" and
      then search for the feat in the list.

      Also, being able to quickly bypass feats that I can not take would be
      handy, either being able to filter them out or make them greyed out,
      it is not easy to see the * beside it.

      > All tables (minus one) will be sortable by every column, so that
      > request is already handled.:) I have big plans on how to change
      the
      > equipping functionality, but we just didn't have time to get that
      in
      > this initial release. The way I want to handle it is via a drag-n-
      > drop type interface which is very intuitive - I also plan on
      handling
      > putting stuff in containers all in the same interface... so we'll
      get
      > there, just not in 2.0.0 (maybe 2.0.1, but we'll see...) :)

      I'm glad to hear this. This should all work out good. I do think
      that the feature of Master Tools to set up "Sets" of equipment for
      things like "what are my pluses with 2 weapons", "what about with a
      weapon and a shield?".

      If the equipment section isn't changing in the next version, could
      you at least add a button to add one to the currently selected
      equipment? Also, supporting shield proficiencies would be handy.

      > I take it you like drag-n-drop? :) My preference is definitely on
      > the table side. Technically everyone has all skills (except
      > exclusive ones) because ranks are really just modifiers, whereas
      drag-
      > n-drop would indicate that you don't have the skill at all unless
      you
      > allocate at least one skill-point to it. I like the table
      > presentation because I can display in one column your total,
      > modifiers, ranks and whatnot and you can sort on any of them. You
      > can also use a filter to filter on just class-skills, cross-class
      > skills, exclusive or untrained. I think you'll like it. :)

      That is technically incorrect. All players have all the untrained
      skills, however that is less than half the list. You need to have at
      least 1 rank in a trained skill to be able to use that skill.

      Having a list of available skills and ones you have access to would
      be handy. Maybe start the skill list of skills you already have with
      all of the untrained skills. This way newbies can see "Oh, I already
      have swim at 4 total because I have an 18 strength, but I can't play
      an instrument yet." I think for newbies, it helps to be able to
      see "these are all the skills I can use, and these are the ones I
      can't".

      For us who play DND a lot, it is easy to just say "I know that any
      skill that has a cost of 1.0 is a class skill and anyone with a cost
      of 2.0 is a cross classed skill." Being able to filter the skill
      list to "untrained, trained, class skills, cross-class skills,
      exclusive, and all" would be handy.

      Also, I want to make a request for my friend. He apparently hates
      clicking an add button, he wants to be able to enter the number of
      ranks in a field for a skill.

      > As ROG mentioned - this is a charactersheet issue. The GOLD token
      > does this, but the wealth issue is about to get a face-lift
      > afterwhich time ROG will add those tokens to his charactersheet.

      I now know about the gold issue. I thought there might have been the
      capability to put them on the character sheet. I just thought it
      kind of strange that the program had that capability and it didn't
      print it.

      > > 5. I would like to request the ability to add a bonus to all
      skills
      > > based off of one attribute like "+2 to all charisma based
      skills".
      > > don't know if you can already do this, however, right now the
      > circlet
      > > of persuasion is listed as +2 to charisma instead of +2 to all
      > > charisma based skills.
      >
      > Ah - then it should really be +4 to charisma to give a +2 mod.

      That doesn't work correctly, however. A +4 charisma does add the
      correct modifier to all your skills, however it also adds +2 to your
      spell DCs if you are a sorcerer and your saves if you are a paladin.
      The circlet isn't supposed to do that.

      Right now, I have made a work around on my system by changing the
      circlet of persuasion to add plus 2 to every charisma based skill
      individually, however if anyone adds another charisma based skill in
      a LST file, the circlet would not add to that.

      A function to do something like "Add 2 to all skills based off of any
      one stat" would be handy.

      > I'm certainly glad to hear your suggestions. PCGen wouldn't have
      > gotten nearly this far if I'd insisted on only using my own ideas -
      > many people have come up with absolutely fantastic ideas and have
      > made coding it a lot of fun. I think that part of what makes PCGen
      > special is that there's such a strong community effort behind it.
      > Maybe by the time that GenCon rolls around we'll be up-to-date in
      > terms of supporting all material that's been released by that
      time.
      > That's pretty aggresive, but it's certainly worth a shot. :)
      >
      > -Bryan

      No problem, I like trying to help. I take no offense at any
      criticism of my comments either, they may not be the best way to do
      things, but I think they will help.

      Chris Wachal
    • nezzir@home.com
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 7, 2001
        Someone mentioned there was a box to check that would include all skills on
        the html page. Right now it just shows the ones I have put points in...
      • mocha@mcs.net
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
          In the main tab where you select options there's a checkbox for
          Include Untrained Skills. If you click on this *BEFORE* you import
          or create a new character, all the untrained skills will be added to
          your character. In PCGen 2.0.0 this has been expanded slightly to a
          selection box where you can pick None (meaning no extra skills),
          Untrained (like clicking on this checkbox) and All (you get
          everything, trained & exclusive...)

          -Bryan

          --- In pcgen@y..., "nezzir@h..." <nezzir@h...> wrote:
          > Someone mentioned there was a box to check that would include all
          skills on
          > the html page. Right now it just shows the ones I have put points
          in...
        • Gary
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
            There's also items like the luck stone and an ioun stone that give you
            a +1 to stat checks or a +1 to ALL skill checks. We'd rather not have
            to specify each skill on those items. I'm sure more will crop up.

            --- In pcgen@y..., "House Gryphon" <gryps@b...> wrote:
> [...]
            Potion of

          • mocha@mcs.net
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
              I think BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1 would work for this. At least I think it
              ought to... let me know if it doesn't!

              -Bryan

            • john.sussenberger@libertymutual.com
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
                Even more reason to have this coded :)

                Then I can make cool magic items that increase your Charisma skillz!!

              • mocha@mcs.net
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
                  Hm - something like BONUS:SKILL|CHA|1 would be easy to do - what's
                  the likelihood of a skill named STR,DEX,CON,INT,WIS or CHA?
                  That would take almost a whole line of code to implement...

                  -Bryan

                  --- In pcgen@y..., john.sussenberger@l... wrote:
                  > Even more reason to have this coded :)
                  >
                  > Then I can make cool magic items that increase your Charisma
                  skillz!!

                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=206662.1458837.3039162.908943/D=egroupmail/S=17
                  000000
                  > 01:N/A=682980/*http://altfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/1114-3934-1039-0?
                  mpt=99202
                  > 3268> Check out great fares at Orbitz!
                  >
                  > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                  M=206662.1458837.3039162.908943/D=egroupmail
                  > /S=1700000001:N/A=682980/rand=413493671>

                  > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                • Gary
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 16, 2001
                    I tried this, and it didn't work. So I'm letting you know.

                    Ioun Stone (Pale green) TYPE:Magic Item.Wonderous Cost:20000
                    WT:0 BONUS:CHECKS|Fortitude,Willpower,Reflex|1
                    BONUS:WEAPON|TOHIT|1 BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Unarmed Attack|TOHIT|1
                    BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1

                    The description says it gives +1 bonus to attacks, saving throws and
                    skill checks.

                  • Brass Tilde
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 16, 2001

                      This bug has been entered at the SourceForge site as bug report #433808.

                      You may access the SourceForge bug tracking page at:
                      https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?group_id=25576&atid=384719

                    • House Gryphon
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 23, 2001
                        From: "Chris Wachal" <cwachal@...>