Re: The Problems with PCGen and Solutions?

  • mocha@mcs.net
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 6, 2001
      I see... I think someone already mentioned that this would cause
      potential problems for Feats like Skill Focus. I am planning on
      putting in PCGen the ability to 'collapse' skills. This has been a
      long-standing request... basically some skills are related and you
      don't necessarily always want to see all of them listed. The Filters
      in PCGen 2.0 get you part of the way since you can pick if you want
      to see Class skills, Cross-Class, Untrained or Exclusive. But to
      collapse all the Knowledge skills into one row is also on the board.
      It won't make the initial release - but you'll see the disabled
      checkbox which will make it happen at some point... If you really
      want to select a Knowledge Skill you can uncollapse the skill view,
      if you want to collapse the hundred billion Knowledge, Craft and
      Profession skills, just click on the checkbox. It should make
      naviagating the skill list a lot easier.

      -Bryan

      --- In pcgen@y..., "Damian" <westfam@a...> wrote:

      > I don't follow your question... I remember discussing a feature
      > recently where we talked about adding text to any kind of object -
      is
      > that what you're referring to? That'll be in the feature request
      > list, but it won't be in 2.0.0. The new version will be quite like
      > PCGen 1.4 in terms of what it can handle - it's mostly a gui
      facelift
      > and the ability to run on non-Windows OSes that's driving the
      initial
      > release.
      >
      > For instanc you could select Craft, and put "automobile" as the
      type.
    • mocha@mcs.net
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 6, 2001
        I think what I'll do is keep wealth (like coins, gems, etc.) in the
        equipment list to keep purchasing/selling simple. When you produce a
        character sheet I'll strip those items out of the equipment list and
        put them in a separate list with a new token to output them. When
        the charactersheet is done I'll put them back in the equipment list.
        I might be able to get this done before the release of 2.0... but I'm
        not sure.

        -Bryan

      • maggard@aztec.asu.edu
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 6, 2001
          Any chance of taking this one step further so you can collaps
          different levels of each skills?
          e.g.
          + Craft Skills
          - Knowledge Skills
          + A - D
          + E - H
          + I - L
          + M - p
          + Q - T
          + U - Z
          + Profession Skills

          --- In pcgen@y..., mocha@m... wrote:
          > I see... I think someone already mentioned that this would cause
          > potential problems for Feats like Skill Focus. I am planning on
          > putting in PCGen the ability to 'collapse' skills. This has been a
          > long-standing request... basically some skills are related and you
          > don't necessarily always want to see all of them listed. The
          Filters
          > in PCGen 2.0 get you part of the way since you can pick if you want
          > to see Class skills, Cross-Class, Untrained or Exclusive. But to
          > collapse all the Knowledge skills into one row is also on the
          board.
          > It won't make the initial release - but you'll see the disabled
          > checkbox which will make it happen at some point... If you really
          > want to select a Knowledge Skill you can uncollapse the skill view,
          > if you want to collapse the hundred billion Knowledge, Craft and
          > Profession skills, just click on the checkbox. It should make
          > naviagating the skill list a lot easier.
          >
          > -Bryan
        • Chris Wachal
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 6, 2001
            > The feats tab looks very different - most tabs (feats included) are
            > dominated by a table displaying all the relevant info. For feats
            > this means whether or not you qualify for it, it's name, how you
            have
            > it (virtual, no, yes), any pre-requisites, it's description and
            > source file. The options (virtual, yes, no) is actually a button,
            > and by clicking on the button you're selecting/de-selecting the
            feat
            > (any choices related to it are then presented). You can sort by
            any
            > column in the table (same for all tables in PCGen except for the
            > stats table) and you can even filter out which feats are
            displayed.
            > Our API will be open, so your friend would be able to construct his
            > own interface if he wanted to. A largely drag-and-drop type
            > interface would certainly be a good choice, but I like the amount
            of
            > info you can provide in a table. It also gives you more sorting
            > options than you'd have in a drag-n-drop solution. Just comes down
            > preferences.

            I agree, however, I like to be able to see the feats I currently have
            in a quick list so that I can see "I've spend 2 feats on toughness, I
            already have power attack, hmm...I guess I could take cleave" and
            then search for the feat in the list.

            Also, being able to quickly bypass feats that I can not take would be
            handy, either being able to filter them out or make them greyed out,
            it is not easy to see the * beside it.

            > All tables (minus one) will be sortable by every column, so that
            > request is already handled.:) I have big plans on how to change
            the
            > equipping functionality, but we just didn't have time to get that
            in
            > this initial release. The way I want to handle it is via a drag-n-
            > drop type interface which is very intuitive - I also plan on
            handling
            > putting stuff in containers all in the same interface... so we'll
            get
            > there, just not in 2.0.0 (maybe 2.0.1, but we'll see...) :)

            I'm glad to hear this. This should all work out good. I do think
            that the feature of Master Tools to set up "Sets" of equipment for
            things like "what are my pluses with 2 weapons", "what about with a
            weapon and a shield?".

            If the equipment section isn't changing in the next version, could
            you at least add a button to add one to the currently selected
            equipment? Also, supporting shield proficiencies would be handy.

            > I take it you like drag-n-drop? :) My preference is definitely on
            > the table side. Technically everyone has all skills (except
            > exclusive ones) because ranks are really just modifiers, whereas
            drag-
            > n-drop would indicate that you don't have the skill at all unless
            you
            > allocate at least one skill-point to it. I like the table
            > presentation because I can display in one column your total,
            > modifiers, ranks and whatnot and you can sort on any of them. You
            > can also use a filter to filter on just class-skills, cross-class
            > skills, exclusive or untrained. I think you'll like it. :)

            That is technically incorrect. All players have all the untrained
            skills, however that is less than half the list. You need to have at
            least 1 rank in a trained skill to be able to use that skill.

            Having a list of available skills and ones you have access to would
            be handy. Maybe start the skill list of skills you already have with
            all of the untrained skills. This way newbies can see "Oh, I already
            have swim at 4 total because I have an 18 strength, but I can't play
            an instrument yet." I think for newbies, it helps to be able to
            see "these are all the skills I can use, and these are the ones I
            can't".

            For us who play DND a lot, it is easy to just say "I know that any
            skill that has a cost of 1.0 is a class skill and anyone with a cost
            of 2.0 is a cross classed skill." Being able to filter the skill
            list to "untrained, trained, class skills, cross-class skills,
            exclusive, and all" would be handy.

            Also, I want to make a request for my friend. He apparently hates
            clicking an add button, he wants to be able to enter the number of
            ranks in a field for a skill.

            > As ROG mentioned - this is a charactersheet issue. The GOLD token
            > does this, but the wealth issue is about to get a face-lift
            > afterwhich time ROG will add those tokens to his charactersheet.

            I now know about the gold issue. I thought there might have been the
            capability to put them on the character sheet. I just thought it
            kind of strange that the program had that capability and it didn't
            print it.

            > > 5. I would like to request the ability to add a bonus to all
            skills
            > > based off of one attribute like "+2 to all charisma based
            skills".
            > > don't know if you can already do this, however, right now the
            > circlet
            > > of persuasion is listed as +2 to charisma instead of +2 to all
            > > charisma based skills.
            >
            > Ah - then it should really be +4 to charisma to give a +2 mod.

            That doesn't work correctly, however. A +4 charisma does add the
            correct modifier to all your skills, however it also adds +2 to your
            spell DCs if you are a sorcerer and your saves if you are a paladin.
            The circlet isn't supposed to do that.

            Right now, I have made a work around on my system by changing the
            circlet of persuasion to add plus 2 to every charisma based skill
            individually, however if anyone adds another charisma based skill in
            a LST file, the circlet would not add to that.

            A function to do something like "Add 2 to all skills based off of any
            one stat" would be handy.

            > I'm certainly glad to hear your suggestions. PCGen wouldn't have
            > gotten nearly this far if I'd insisted on only using my own ideas -
            > many people have come up with absolutely fantastic ideas and have
            > made coding it a lot of fun. I think that part of what makes PCGen
            > special is that there's such a strong community effort behind it.
            > Maybe by the time that GenCon rolls around we'll be up-to-date in
            > terms of supporting all material that's been released by that
            time.
            > That's pretty aggresive, but it's certainly worth a shot. :)
            >
            > -Bryan

            No problem, I like trying to help. I take no offense at any
            criticism of my comments either, they may not be the best way to do
            things, but I think they will help.

            Chris Wachal
          • nezzir@home.com
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 7, 2001
              Someone mentioned there was a box to check that would include all skills on
              the html page. Right now it just shows the ones I have put points in...
            • mocha@mcs.net
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
                In the main tab where you select options there's a checkbox for
                Include Untrained Skills. If you click on this *BEFORE* you import
                or create a new character, all the untrained skills will be added to
                your character. In PCGen 2.0.0 this has been expanded slightly to a
                selection box where you can pick None (meaning no extra skills),
                Untrained (like clicking on this checkbox) and All (you get
                everything, trained & exclusive...)

                -Bryan

                --- In pcgen@y..., "nezzir@h..." <nezzir@h...> wrote:
                > Someone mentioned there was a box to check that would include all
                skills on
                > the html page. Right now it just shows the ones I have put points
                in...
              • Gary
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
                  There's also items like the luck stone and an ioun stone that give you
                  a +1 to stat checks or a +1 to ALL skill checks. We'd rather not have
                  to specify each skill on those items. I'm sure more will crop up.

                  --- In pcgen@y..., "House Gryphon" <gryps@b...> wrote:
> [...]
                  Potion of

                • mocha@mcs.net
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
                    I think BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1 would work for this. At least I think it
                    ought to... let me know if it doesn't!

                    -Bryan

                  • john.sussenberger@libertymutual.com
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
                      Even more reason to have this coded :)

                      Then I can make cool magic items that increase your Charisma skillz!!

                    • mocha@mcs.net
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
                        Hm - something like BONUS:SKILL|CHA|1 would be easy to do - what's
                        the likelihood of a skill named STR,DEX,CON,INT,WIS or CHA?
                        That would take almost a whole line of code to implement...

                        -Bryan

                        --- In pcgen@y..., john.sussenberger@l... wrote:
                        > Even more reason to have this coded :)
                        >
                        > Then I can make cool magic items that increase your Charisma
                        skillz!!

                        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=206662.1458837.3039162.908943/D=egroupmail/S=17
                        000000
                        > 01:N/A=682980/*http://altfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/1114-3934-1039-0?
                        mpt=99202
                        > 3268> Check out great fares at Orbitz!
                        >
                        > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                        M=206662.1458837.3039162.908943/D=egroupmail
                        > /S=1700000001:N/A=682980/rand=413493671>

                        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                      • Gary
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 16, 2001
                          I tried this, and it didn't work. So I'm letting you know.

                          Ioun Stone (Pale green) TYPE:Magic Item.Wonderous Cost:20000
                          WT:0 BONUS:CHECKS|Fortitude,Willpower,Reflex|1
                          BONUS:WEAPON|TOHIT|1 BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Unarmed Attack|TOHIT|1
                          BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1

                          The description says it gives +1 bonus to attacks, saving throws and
                          skill checks.

                        • Brass Tilde
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 16, 2001

                            This bug has been entered at the SourceForge site as bug report #433808.

                            You may access the SourceForge bug tracking page at:
                            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?group_id=25576&atid=384719

                          • House Gryphon
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 23, 2001