Re: [pcgen]Minor Bug Found

  • mocha@mcs.net
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
      --- In pcgen@y..., "nezzir@h..." <nezzir@h...> wrote:
      > I'm new to the list. I don't know if this has been covered yet:
      >
      > I found that if you equip leather armor, it gives you a -3 armor
      check
      > penalty as well as +3 to your armor. It also limits your dex
      modifier to +3.

      > Should be -0 armor check, +2 AC, +8 max dex.

      Actually, it should be +6 max dex... +8 is padded. I just created a
      character and this all works correctly. Do you have anything else
      equipped? Is your character proficient with Light armor?

      > There also seems to be some refresh issues. There are some changes
      that if
      > you make them you must save, exit, and come back in for the changes
      to be
      > calculated (armor is one of the changes).

      Really? Hm - everything should be recalculated on the fly, so you
      shouldn't ever have to quit and come back in to see a change take
      effect. If you continue having problems I'd like to see your pcg
      file and if you could give me an exact series of steps that I could
      follow to see something that you change and how it doesn't take
      effect until the next time you launch PCGen, I'd appreciate it.

      -Bryan

      > I'm running the 1.4a beta
      >
      > I created a character using the D&D Dungeon Masters Guide, D&D
      Players
      > Handbook, and Forgotten Realms rules set.

      Thanks for the above info! It's also nice to know what race you
      created and what relevant stats you have (dex in the case of armor
      and max dex type issues) and what class you have (since that affects
      what armor proficiencies you have).

      -Bryan
    • nezzir@home.com
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
        At 02:42 PM 6/6/2001 +0000, you wrote:
        >--- In pcgen@y..., "nezzir@h..." <nezzir@h...> wrote:
        > > I'm new to the list. I don't know if this has been covered yet:
        > >
        > > I found that if you equip leather armor, it gives you a -3 armor
        >check
        > > penalty as well as +3 to your armor. It also limits your dex
        >modifier to +3.
        > >
        > > Should be -0 armor check, +2 AC, +8 max dex.
        >
        >Actually, it should be +6 max dex... +8 is padded. I just created a
        >character and this all works correctly. Do you have anything else
        >equipped? Is your character proficient with Light armor?

        I am proficient with light armor. Here's what I have equipped:
        Longbow (composite)
        Musical instrument,common (small)
        Entertainer (Clothing)
        Arrows (20)
        Backpack
        (Note: The leather is now unequipped to get around the error)

        > > There also seems to be some refresh issues. There are some changes
        >that if
        > > you make them you must save, exit, and come back in for the changes
        >to be
        > > calculated (armor is one of the changes).
        >
        >Really? Hm - everything should be recalculated on the fly, so you
        >shouldn't ever have to quit and come back in to see a change take
        >effect. If you continue having problems I'd like to see your pcg
        >file and if you could give me an exact series of steps that I could
        >follow to see something that you change and how it doesn't take
        >effect until the next time you launch PCGen, I'd appreciate it.
        >
        >-Bryan

        The biggest problem I've seen here is I changed my intelligence and it did
        not update the skill modifiers (it still hasn't). There are other things
        but I don't remember what they were. We are starting a new campaign this
        weekend and will probably be using the generator a lot. I'll take some notes.

        > > I'm running the 1.4a beta
        > >
        > > I created a character using the D&D Dungeon Masters Guide, D&D
        >Players
        > > Handbook, and Forgotten Realms rules set.
        >
        >Thanks for the above info! It's also nice to know what race you
        >created and what relevant stats you have (dex in the case of armor
        >and max dex type issues) and what class you have (since that affects
        >what armor proficiencies you have).
        >
        >-Bryan

        Half-Elven
        Bard
        Level 1
        Dex = 16

        Note: New bug -
        I'm working this character toward the "Arcane Archer" class. So to test
        it, I bumped the Bard up to level 8 to get him to the +6 attack bonus
        minimum req. The first thing I noticed was that it did not add any skill
        or feat points. Then (after I juggled it a bit and taking the rest of the
        reqs) I still could not take the class - it stayed starred out. I met all
        the reqs. I thought maybe it was the fact that I was proficient in the
        composite longbow instead of the longbow so I updated it - still no dice.

        If you would like I can send you the character file.

        PS - Thanks for responding

        NezziR,
        Mark A. Warren
        -=*-----------------------------------------------------*=-

        "Tis now the very witching time of night
        when churchyards yawn and hell itself breaths out contagion to this world,
        now could I drink hot blood and do such bitter business as the day would
        quake to look on."

        William Shakespeare,
        Hamlet
      • Franco, Matthew E
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
          make sure your chacter isn't carrying to much if you have medium load pcgen
          adds minuses do to ecumberance

          as for trying for arcane archer did you put spells into your spell book?

          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
            I am lightly loaded.
            I have spells in my spell book.

            I probably need to start it from scratch...

            At 01:23 PM 6/6/2001 -0400, you wrote:
            >make sure your chacter isn't carrying to much if you have medium load pcgen
            >adds minuses do to ecumberance
            >
            >as for trying for arcane archer did you put spells into your spell book?

            NezziR,
            Mark A. Warren
            -=*-----------------------------------------------------*=-

            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
              And note that it has been an official ruling that INT changes do not
              retroactively affect skill points. If you go from INT 11 to 12 at
              level 5 you do not get the bonus skill points you would have had if
              you had started out with an INT 12. I think PCGen behaves correctly
              with this in mind.

              -Bryan

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > NezziR,
              > Mark A. Warren
              > -=*-----------------------------------------------------*=-
              >
              > "Tis now the very witching time of night
              > when churchyards yawn and hell itself breaths out contagion to this
              world,
              > now could I drink hot blood and do such bitter business as the day
              would
              > quake to look on."
              >
              > William Shakespeare,
              > Hamlet

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Vance
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
                You might check to see if your weight carried is in the "light" category or
                the "medium" category as weight also affects your Max Dex and Armor Check
                Penalty.
                VR

              • nezzir@home.com
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 7, 2001
                  FYI - You were right - it was weight. I was removing the leather and it
                  was taking me under the limit. When I bought it back it "carried" was not
                  checked so the weight didn't change. It looked like the leather itself was
                  giving me the penalty...

                  Sorry for the confusion.