RE: [pcgen] Re: The Problems with PCGen and Solutions?

  • Damian
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 4, 2001

      v     Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult,

      Erin

      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 4, 2001
        A seperate area for Wealth would allow the gems, precious metals,
        etc. to be in one area. And equipment becomes the tools to do your
        job.

        --- In pcgen@y..., mocha@m... wrote:
        > We've talked about a currency system, and it definitely will get
        > done, just not for the 2.0.0 release. We'll let you define which
        > currency is the 'standard', and the 'gold' field in the Items tab
        > will be tied to how many of those coins you have. All the other
        > coins will have a cost associated with them, which will give us an
        > exchange rate. Our thinking was to do this as equipment, but in
        > thinking about this I realize that the coins would then show up in
        > the Equipment lists on the charactersheets, which may not be
        desired
        > behavior. You could also display them in a separate 'wealth'
        section
        > by using the EQTYPE.Coins token, but maybe breaking them out of
        > equipment into a Wealth object would be a better implementation.
        > Anyway, the idea is pretty much there, just need to work out the
        > kinks. :)
        >
        > -Bryan
        >
        > --- In pcgen@y..., Lonestar <Lonestar@l...> wrote:
        > > kyc> I'd also like to address the gold issue. If you go under
        the
        > misc.
        > > kyc> tab in the program and put in the amount of gold, silver,
        > copper, or
        > > kyc> platinum peices the person in the party has it shows up on
        the
        > ROG
        > > kyc> sheet under gold!
        > >
        > > I think currency support is supposed to be on the to-do list.
        > > It should be possible to have a self defined currency system for
        > each
        > > campaign (region?).
        > > In the Forgotten Realms it is:
        > > 1 platinum = 10 gold = 100 silver = 1000 copper coins
        > > In Waterdeep thers the toal (a square brass coin with a central
        > hole,
        > > worth 2gp) and the harbor moon (a flat crescent platinum with a
        > > central hole and an electrum inlay, worth 50 gp in Waterdeep and
        > 30gp
        > > elsewhere).
        > > Then there are trade bars of silver or gold in different weights
        (1
        > > 10 pounds) and there are some other exotic currencies like the
        Gond

      • mocha@mcs.net
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 6, 2001
          I see... I think someone already mentioned that this would cause
          potential problems for Feats like Skill Focus. I am planning on
          putting in PCGen the ability to 'collapse' skills. This has been a
          long-standing request... basically some skills are related and you
          don't necessarily always want to see all of them listed. The Filters
          in PCGen 2.0 get you part of the way since you can pick if you want
          to see Class skills, Cross-Class, Untrained or Exclusive. But to
          collapse all the Knowledge skills into one row is also on the board.
          It won't make the initial release - but you'll see the disabled
          checkbox which will make it happen at some point... If you really
          want to select a Knowledge Skill you can uncollapse the skill view,
          if you want to collapse the hundred billion Knowledge, Craft and
          Profession skills, just click on the checkbox. It should make
          naviagating the skill list a lot easier.

          -Bryan

          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 6, 2001
            I think what I'll do is keep wealth (like coins, gems, etc.) in the
            equipment list to keep purchasing/selling simple. When you produce a
            character sheet I'll strip those items out of the equipment list and
            put them in a separate list with a new token to output them. When
            the charactersheet is done I'll put them back in the equipment list.
            I might be able to get this done before the release of 2.0... but I'm
            not sure.

            -Bryan

          • maggard@aztec.asu.edu
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 6, 2001
              Any chance of taking this one step further so you can collaps
              different levels of each skills?
              e.g.
              + Craft Skills
              - Knowledge Skills
              + A - D
              + E - H
              + I - L
              + M - p
              + Q - T
              + U - Z
              + Profession Skills

              --- In pcgen@y..., mocha@m... wrote:
              > I see... I think someone already mentioned that this would cause
              > potential problems for Feats like Skill Focus. I am planning on
              > putting in PCGen the ability to 'collapse' skills. This has been a
              > long-standing request... basically some skills are related and you
              > don't necessarily always want to see all of them listed. The
              Filters
              > in PCGen 2.0 get you part of the way since you can pick if you want
              > to see Class skills, Cross-Class, Untrained or Exclusive. But to
              > collapse all the Knowledge skills into one row is also on the
              board.
              > It won't make the initial release - but you'll see the disabled
              > checkbox which will make it happen at some point... If you really
              > want to select a Knowledge Skill you can uncollapse the skill view,
              > if you want to collapse the hundred billion Knowledge, Craft and
              > Profession skills, just click on the checkbox. It should make
              > naviagating the skill list a lot easier.
              >
              > -Bryan
            • Chris Wachal
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 6, 2001
                > The feats tab looks very different - most tabs (feats included) are
                > dominated by a table displaying all the relevant info. For feats
                > this means whether or not you qualify for it, it's name, how you
                have
                > it (virtual, no, yes), any pre-requisites, it's description and
                > source file. The options (virtual, yes, no) is actually a button,
                > and by clicking on the button you're selecting/de-selecting the
                feat
                > (any choices related to it are then presented). You can sort by
                any
                > column in the table (same for all tables in PCGen except for the
                > stats table) and you can even filter out which feats are
                displayed.
                > Our API will be open, so your friend would be able to construct his
                > own interface if he wanted to. A largely drag-and-drop type
                > interface would certainly be a good choice, but I like the amount
                of
                > info you can provide in a table. It also gives you more sorting
                > options than you'd have in a drag-n-drop solution. Just comes down
                > preferences.

                I agree, however, I like to be able to see the feats I currently have
                in a quick list so that I can see "I've spend 2 feats on toughness, I
                already have power attack, hmm...I guess I could take cleave" and
                then search for the feat in the list.

                Also, being able to quickly bypass feats that I can not take would be
                handy, either being able to filter them out or make them greyed out,
                it is not easy to see the * beside it.

                > All tables (minus one) will be sortable by every column, so that
                > request is already handled.:) I have big plans on how to change
                the
                > equipping functionality, but we just didn't have time to get that
                in
                > this initial release. The way I want to handle it is via a drag-n-
                > drop type interface which is very intuitive - I also plan on
                handling
                > putting stuff in containers all in the same interface... so we'll
                get
                > there, just not in 2.0.0 (maybe 2.0.1, but we'll see...) :)

                I'm glad to hear this. This should all work out good. I do think
                that the feature of Master Tools to set up "Sets" of equipment for
                things like "what are my pluses with 2 weapons", "what about with a
                weapon and a shield?".

                If the equipment section isn't changing in the next version, could
                you at least add a button to add one to the currently selected
                equipment? Also, supporting shield proficiencies would be handy.

                > I take it you like drag-n-drop? :) My preference is definitely on
                > the table side. Technically everyone has all skills (except
                > exclusive ones) because ranks are really just modifiers, whereas
                drag-
                > n-drop would indicate that you don't have the skill at all unless
                you
                > allocate at least one skill-point to it. I like the table
                > presentation because I can display in one column your total,
                > modifiers, ranks and whatnot and you can sort on any of them. You
                > can also use a filter to filter on just class-skills, cross-class
                > skills, exclusive or untrained. I think you'll like it. :)

                That is technically incorrect. All players have all the untrained
                skills, however that is less than half the list. You need to have at
                least 1 rank in a trained skill to be able to use that skill.

                Having a list of available skills and ones you have access to would
                be handy. Maybe start the skill list of skills you already have with
                all of the untrained skills. This way newbies can see "Oh, I already
                have swim at 4 total because I have an 18 strength, but I can't play
                an instrument yet." I think for newbies, it helps to be able to
                see "these are all the skills I can use, and these are the ones I
                can't".

                For us who play DND a lot, it is easy to just say "I know that any
                skill that has a cost of 1.0 is a class skill and anyone with a cost
                of 2.0 is a cross classed skill." Being able to filter the skill
                list to "untrained, trained, class skills, cross-class skills,
                exclusive, and all" would be handy.

                Also, I want to make a request for my friend. He apparently hates
                clicking an add button, he wants to be able to enter the number of
                ranks in a field for a skill.

                > As ROG mentioned - this is a charactersheet issue. The GOLD token
                > does this, but the wealth issue is about to get a face-lift
                > afterwhich time ROG will add those tokens to his charactersheet.

                I now know about the gold issue. I thought there might have been the
                capability to put them on the character sheet. I just thought it
                kind of strange that the program had that capability and it didn't
                print it.

                > > 5. I would like to request the ability to add a bonus to all
                skills
                > > based off of one attribute like "+2 to all charisma based
                skills".
                > > don't know if you can already do this, however, right now the
                > circlet
                > > of persuasion is listed as +2 to charisma instead of +2 to all
                > > charisma based skills.
                >
                > Ah - then it should really be +4 to charisma to give a +2 mod.

                That doesn't work correctly, however. A +4 charisma does add the
                correct modifier to all your skills, however it also adds +2 to your
                spell DCs if you are a sorcerer and your saves if you are a paladin.
                The circlet isn't supposed to do that.

                Right now, I have made a work around on my system by changing the
                circlet of persuasion to add plus 2 to every charisma based skill
                individually, however if anyone adds another charisma based skill in
                a LST file, the circlet would not add to that.

                A function to do something like "Add 2 to all skills based off of any
                one stat" would be handy.

                > I'm certainly glad to hear your suggestions. PCGen wouldn't have
                > gotten nearly this far if I'd insisted on only using my own ideas -
                > many people have come up with absolutely fantastic ideas and have
                > made coding it a lot of fun. I think that part of what makes PCGen
                > special is that there's such a strong community effort behind it.
                > Maybe by the time that GenCon rolls around we'll be up-to-date in
                > terms of supporting all material that's been released by that
                time.
                > That's pretty aggresive, but it's certainly worth a shot. :)
                >
                > -Bryan

                No problem, I like trying to help. I take no offense at any
                criticism of my comments either, they may not be the best way to do
                things, but I think they will help.

                Chris Wachal
              • nezzir@home.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 7, 2001
                  Someone mentioned there was a box to check that would include all skills on
                  the html page. Right now it just shows the ones I have put points in...
                • mocha@mcs.net
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
                    In the main tab where you select options there's a checkbox for
                    Include Untrained Skills. If you click on this *BEFORE* you import
                    or create a new character, all the untrained skills will be added to
                    your character. In PCGen 2.0.0 this has been expanded slightly to a
                    selection box where you can pick None (meaning no extra skills),
                    Untrained (like clicking on this checkbox) and All (you get
                    everything, trained & exclusive...)

                    -Bryan

                    --- In pcgen@y..., "nezzir@h..." <nezzir@h...> wrote:
                    > Someone mentioned there was a box to check that would include all
                    skills on
                    > the html page. Right now it just shows the ones I have put points
                    in...
                  • Gary
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
                      There's also items like the luck stone and an ioun stone that give you
                      a +1 to stat checks or a +1 to ALL skill checks. We'd rather not have
                      to specify each skill on those items. I'm sure more will crop up.

                      --- In pcgen@y..., "House Gryphon" <gryps@b...> wrote:
> [...]
                      Potion of

                    • mocha@mcs.net
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
                        I think BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1 would work for this. At least I think it
                        ought to... let me know if it doesn't!

                        -Bryan

                      • john.sussenberger@libertymutual.com
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
                          Even more reason to have this coded :)

                          Then I can make cool magic items that increase your Charisma skillz!!

                        • mocha@mcs.net
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
                            Hm - something like BONUS:SKILL|CHA|1 would be easy to do - what's
                            the likelihood of a skill named STR,DEX,CON,INT,WIS or CHA?
                            That would take almost a whole line of code to implement...

                            -Bryan

                            --- In pcgen@y..., john.sussenberger@l... wrote:
                            > Even more reason to have this coded :)
                            >
                            > Then I can make cool magic items that increase your Charisma
                            skillz!!

                            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=206662.1458837.3039162.908943/D=egroupmail/S=17
                            000000
                            > 01:N/A=682980/*http://altfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/1114-3934-1039-0?
                            mpt=99202
                            > 3268> Check out great fares at Orbitz!
                            >
                            > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                            M=206662.1458837.3039162.908943/D=egroupmail
                            > /S=1700000001:N/A=682980/rand=413493671>

                            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                          • Gary
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 16, 2001
                              I tried this, and it didn't work. So I'm letting you know.

                              Ioun Stone (Pale green) TYPE:Magic Item.Wonderous Cost:20000
                              WT:0 BONUS:CHECKS|Fortitude,Willpower,Reflex|1
                              BONUS:WEAPON|TOHIT|1 BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Unarmed Attack|TOHIT|1
                              BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1

                              The description says it gives +1 bonus to attacks, saving throws and
                              skill checks.

                            • Brass Tilde
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 16, 2001

                                This bug has been entered at the SourceForge site as bug report #433808.

                                You may access the SourceForge bug tracking page at:
                                https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?group_id=25576&atid=384719

                              • House Gryphon
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 23, 2001
                                  From: "Chris Wachal" <cwachal@...>