RE: [pcgen] Re: The Problems with PCGen and Solutions?

  • Damian
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 4, 2001

      I don't follow your question... I remember discussing a feature
      recently where we talked about adding text to any kind of object - is
      that what you're referring to?  That'll be in the feature request
      list, but it won't be in 2.0.0.  The new version will be quite like
      PCGen 1.4 in terms of what it can handle - it's mostly a gui facelift
      and the ability to run on non-Windows OSes that's driving the initial
      release.

      For instanc you could select Craft, and put "automobile" as the type.

      >   >
      >   >
      When I say "drag" in these examples, I believe something like
      the
      >   > current spell system, where you click on
      something then click a
      >   > button to add it would work
      too.

      >   Our drag-n-drop method for equipping, when
      completed, will look a
      lot
      >   like a file brower. You'll
      see objects displayed in a hierarchy,
      with
      >   containers
      displayed like a directory.  In java this is called a

      JTree - so you can actually click on the object and drag it over
      the
      >   container you want to put it in.
      >
      >   Going the rout of the old Core Rules stuff, eh?  cool,
      i liked
      how that
      > worked, and is what i was going to suggest anyway
      (or did suggest,
      my minds
      > a little glitchy right now).  Don't
      forget to allow containers
      within
      > containers, and you COULD give
      them a HOME container, for stuff
      they want to
      > HAVE, but don't carry
      with them.

      I've never seen the Core Rules, but it's possible the guy who started
      that work for me got his inspiration from there.  I think he wants to
      treat everything (and throw in body parts as well...) as containers.
      That way you can put daggers in your cloak, or on your left ankle, or
      whatever. Containers will definitely be allowed to be nested - but I
      think we're planning on having it show what they're carrying and how
      they're carrying it.  If we let you pick different modes (say you
      take items a-g while in a dungeon crawl, but only items a, d & e
      while in town.  That would be messy to determine your encumberance
      because I wouldn't know where you were and that would impact your
      speed et al).

      >   I'm certainly glad to hear your
      suggestions.  PCGen wouldn't have
      >   gotten nearly this
      far if I'd insisted on only using my own
      ideas -
      >   many
      people have come up with absolutely fantastic ideas and have

      made coding it a lot of fun.  I think that part of what makes
      PCGen
      >   special is that there's such a strong community
      effort behind it.
      >   Maybe by the time that GenCon rolls around
      we'll be up-to-date in
      >   terms of supporting all material
      that's been released by that
      time.
      >   That's pretty
      aggresive, but it's certainly worth a shot. :)

      Grrrrrr. still pissed that i'm not going to be able to go this
      year.  I'm
      > already savign up for next year.

      I'm hoping to go to GenCon.  I've never gone before and this is its
      last year in Milwaukee.  I'd like to go once just to see what the hub-
      bub is all about.  I joke about making a T-Shirt about PCGen just to
      see if anyone knows what I'm talking about while I there.... ;)

      -Bryan
       2002 is the last year.  i checked the wizards.com schedule.  http://www.wizards.com/gencon/2001/future_gencons.asp
    • Damian
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 4, 2001

        v     Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult,

        Erin

        I don't follow your question... I remember discussing a feature
        recently where we talked about adding text to any kind of object - is
        that what you're referring to?  That'll be in the feature request
        list, but it won't be in 2.0.0.  The new version will be quite like
        PCGen 1.4 in terms of what it can handle - it's mostly a gui facelift
        and the ability to run on non-Windows OSes that's driving the initial
        release.

        For instanc you could select Craft, and put "automobile" as the type.

        That is, in addition to the other choices.  you know, have a "blank" choice that will let you type in it, or you can use the pull down.  better explanaion?
      • maggard@aztec.asu.edu
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 4, 2001
          A seperate area for Wealth would allow the gems, precious metals,
          etc. to be in one area. And equipment becomes the tools to do your
          job.

          --- In pcgen@y..., mocha@m... wrote:
          > We've talked about a currency system, and it definitely will get
          > done, just not for the 2.0.0 release. We'll let you define which
          > currency is the 'standard', and the 'gold' field in the Items tab
          > will be tied to how many of those coins you have. All the other
          > coins will have a cost associated with them, which will give us an
          > exchange rate. Our thinking was to do this as equipment, but in
          > thinking about this I realize that the coins would then show up in
          > the Equipment lists on the charactersheets, which may not be
          desired
          > behavior. You could also display them in a separate 'wealth'
          section
          > by using the EQTYPE.Coins token, but maybe breaking them out of
          > equipment into a Wealth object would be a better implementation.
          > Anyway, the idea is pretty much there, just need to work out the
          > kinks. :)
          >
          > -Bryan
          >
          > --- In pcgen@y..., Lonestar <Lonestar@l...> wrote:
          > > kyc> I'd also like to address the gold issue. If you go under
          the
          > misc.
          > > kyc> tab in the program and put in the amount of gold, silver,
          > copper, or
          > > kyc> platinum peices the person in the party has it shows up on
          the
          > ROG
          > > kyc> sheet under gold!
          > >
          > > I think currency support is supposed to be on the to-do list.
          > > It should be possible to have a self defined currency system for
          > each
          > > campaign (region?).
          > > In the Forgotten Realms it is:
          > > 1 platinum = 10 gold = 100 silver = 1000 copper coins
          > > In Waterdeep thers the toal (a square brass coin with a central
          > hole,
          > > worth 2gp) and the harbor moon (a flat crescent platinum with a
          > > central hole and an electrum inlay, worth 50 gp in Waterdeep and
          > 30gp
          > > elsewhere).
          > > Then there are trade bars of silver or gold in different weights
          (1
          > > 10 pounds) and there are some other exotic currencies like the
          Gond

        • mocha@mcs.net
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 6, 2001
            I see... I think someone already mentioned that this would cause
            potential problems for Feats like Skill Focus. I am planning on
            putting in PCGen the ability to 'collapse' skills. This has been a
            long-standing request... basically some skills are related and you
            don't necessarily always want to see all of them listed. The Filters
            in PCGen 2.0 get you part of the way since you can pick if you want
            to see Class skills, Cross-Class, Untrained or Exclusive. But to
            collapse all the Knowledge skills into one row is also on the board.
            It won't make the initial release - but you'll see the disabled
            checkbox which will make it happen at some point... If you really
            want to select a Knowledge Skill you can uncollapse the skill view,
            if you want to collapse the hundred billion Knowledge, Craft and
            Profession skills, just click on the checkbox. It should make
            naviagating the skill list a lot easier.

            -Bryan

            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 6, 2001
              I think what I'll do is keep wealth (like coins, gems, etc.) in the
              equipment list to keep purchasing/selling simple. When you produce a
              character sheet I'll strip those items out of the equipment list and
              put them in a separate list with a new token to output them. When
              the charactersheet is done I'll put them back in the equipment list.
              I might be able to get this done before the release of 2.0... but I'm
              not sure.

              -Bryan

            • maggard@aztec.asu.edu
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 6, 2001
                Any chance of taking this one step further so you can collaps
                different levels of each skills?
                e.g.
                + Craft Skills
                - Knowledge Skills
                + A - D
                + E - H
                + I - L
                + M - p
                + Q - T
                + U - Z
                + Profession Skills

                --- In pcgen@y..., mocha@m... wrote:
                > I see... I think someone already mentioned that this would cause
                > potential problems for Feats like Skill Focus. I am planning on
                > putting in PCGen the ability to 'collapse' skills. This has been a
                > long-standing request... basically some skills are related and you
                > don't necessarily always want to see all of them listed. The
                Filters
                > in PCGen 2.0 get you part of the way since you can pick if you want
                > to see Class skills, Cross-Class, Untrained or Exclusive. But to
                > collapse all the Knowledge skills into one row is also on the
                board.
                > It won't make the initial release - but you'll see the disabled
                > checkbox which will make it happen at some point... If you really
                > want to select a Knowledge Skill you can uncollapse the skill view,
                > if you want to collapse the hundred billion Knowledge, Craft and
                > Profession skills, just click on the checkbox. It should make
                > naviagating the skill list a lot easier.
                >
                > -Bryan
              • Chris Wachal
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 6, 2001
                  > The feats tab looks very different - most tabs (feats included) are
                  > dominated by a table displaying all the relevant info. For feats
                  > this means whether or not you qualify for it, it's name, how you
                  have
                  > it (virtual, no, yes), any pre-requisites, it's description and
                  > source file. The options (virtual, yes, no) is actually a button,
                  > and by clicking on the button you're selecting/de-selecting the
                  feat
                  > (any choices related to it are then presented). You can sort by
                  any
                  > column in the table (same for all tables in PCGen except for the
                  > stats table) and you can even filter out which feats are
                  displayed.
                  > Our API will be open, so your friend would be able to construct his
                  > own interface if he wanted to. A largely drag-and-drop type
                  > interface would certainly be a good choice, but I like the amount
                  of
                  > info you can provide in a table. It also gives you more sorting
                  > options than you'd have in a drag-n-drop solution. Just comes down
                  > preferences.

                  I agree, however, I like to be able to see the feats I currently have
                  in a quick list so that I can see "I've spend 2 feats on toughness, I
                  already have power attack, hmm...I guess I could take cleave" and
                  then search for the feat in the list.

                  Also, being able to quickly bypass feats that I can not take would be
                  handy, either being able to filter them out or make them greyed out,
                  it is not easy to see the * beside it.

                  > All tables (minus one) will be sortable by every column, so that
                  > request is already handled.:) I have big plans on how to change
                  the
                  > equipping functionality, but we just didn't have time to get that
                  in
                  > this initial release. The way I want to handle it is via a drag-n-
                  > drop type interface which is very intuitive - I also plan on
                  handling
                  > putting stuff in containers all in the same interface... so we'll
                  get
                  > there, just not in 2.0.0 (maybe 2.0.1, but we'll see...) :)

                  I'm glad to hear this. This should all work out good. I do think
                  that the feature of Master Tools to set up "Sets" of equipment for
                  things like "what are my pluses with 2 weapons", "what about with a
                  weapon and a shield?".

                  If the equipment section isn't changing in the next version, could
                  you at least add a button to add one to the currently selected
                  equipment? Also, supporting shield proficiencies would be handy.

                  > I take it you like drag-n-drop? :) My preference is definitely on
                  > the table side. Technically everyone has all skills (except
                  > exclusive ones) because ranks are really just modifiers, whereas
                  drag-
                  > n-drop would indicate that you don't have the skill at all unless
                  you
                  > allocate at least one skill-point to it. I like the table
                  > presentation because I can display in one column your total,
                  > modifiers, ranks and whatnot and you can sort on any of them. You
                  > can also use a filter to filter on just class-skills, cross-class
                  > skills, exclusive or untrained. I think you'll like it. :)

                  That is technically incorrect. All players have all the untrained
                  skills, however that is less than half the list. You need to have at
                  least 1 rank in a trained skill to be able to use that skill.

                  Having a list of available skills and ones you have access to would
                  be handy. Maybe start the skill list of skills you already have with
                  all of the untrained skills. This way newbies can see "Oh, I already
                  have swim at 4 total because I have an 18 strength, but I can't play
                  an instrument yet." I think for newbies, it helps to be able to
                  see "these are all the skills I can use, and these are the ones I
                  can't".

                  For us who play DND a lot, it is easy to just say "I know that any
                  skill that has a cost of 1.0 is a class skill and anyone with a cost
                  of 2.0 is a cross classed skill." Being able to filter the skill
                  list to "untrained, trained, class skills, cross-class skills,
                  exclusive, and all" would be handy.

                  Also, I want to make a request for my friend. He apparently hates
                  clicking an add button, he wants to be able to enter the number of
                  ranks in a field for a skill.

                  > As ROG mentioned - this is a charactersheet issue. The GOLD token
                  > does this, but the wealth issue is about to get a face-lift
                  > afterwhich time ROG will add those tokens to his charactersheet.

                  I now know about the gold issue. I thought there might have been the
                  capability to put them on the character sheet. I just thought it
                  kind of strange that the program had that capability and it didn't
                  print it.

                  > > 5. I would like to request the ability to add a bonus to all
                  skills
                  > > based off of one attribute like "+2 to all charisma based
                  skills".
                  > > don't know if you can already do this, however, right now the
                  > circlet
                  > > of persuasion is listed as +2 to charisma instead of +2 to all
                  > > charisma based skills.
                  >
                  > Ah - then it should really be +4 to charisma to give a +2 mod.

                  That doesn't work correctly, however. A +4 charisma does add the
                  correct modifier to all your skills, however it also adds +2 to your
                  spell DCs if you are a sorcerer and your saves if you are a paladin.
                  The circlet isn't supposed to do that.

                  Right now, I have made a work around on my system by changing the
                  circlet of persuasion to add plus 2 to every charisma based skill
                  individually, however if anyone adds another charisma based skill in
                  a LST file, the circlet would not add to that.

                  A function to do something like "Add 2 to all skills based off of any
                  one stat" would be handy.

                  > I'm certainly glad to hear your suggestions. PCGen wouldn't have
                  > gotten nearly this far if I'd insisted on only using my own ideas -
                  > many people have come up with absolutely fantastic ideas and have
                  > made coding it a lot of fun. I think that part of what makes PCGen
                  > special is that there's such a strong community effort behind it.
                  > Maybe by the time that GenCon rolls around we'll be up-to-date in
                  > terms of supporting all material that's been released by that
                  time.
                  > That's pretty aggresive, but it's certainly worth a shot. :)
                  >
                  > -Bryan

                  No problem, I like trying to help. I take no offense at any
                  criticism of my comments either, they may not be the best way to do
                  things, but I think they will help.

                  Chris Wachal
                • nezzir@home.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 7, 2001
                    Someone mentioned there was a box to check that would include all skills on
                    the html page. Right now it just shows the ones I have put points in...
                  • mocha@mcs.net
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
                      In the main tab where you select options there's a checkbox for
                      Include Untrained Skills. If you click on this *BEFORE* you import
                      or create a new character, all the untrained skills will be added to
                      your character. In PCGen 2.0.0 this has been expanded slightly to a
                      selection box where you can pick None (meaning no extra skills),
                      Untrained (like clicking on this checkbox) and All (you get
                      everything, trained & exclusive...)

                      -Bryan

                      --- In pcgen@y..., "nezzir@h..." <nezzir@h...> wrote:
                      > Someone mentioned there was a box to check that would include all
                      skills on
                      > the html page. Right now it just shows the ones I have put points
                      in...
                    • Gary
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
                        There's also items like the luck stone and an ioun stone that give you
                        a +1 to stat checks or a +1 to ALL skill checks. We'd rather not have
                        to specify each skill on those items. I'm sure more will crop up.

                        --- In pcgen@y..., "House Gryphon" <gryps@b...> wrote:
> [...]
                        Potion of

                      • mocha@mcs.net
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
                          I think BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1 would work for this. At least I think it
                          ought to... let me know if it doesn't!

                          -Bryan

                        • john.sussenberger@libertymutual.com
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
                            Even more reason to have this coded :)

                            Then I can make cool magic items that increase your Charisma skillz!!

                          • mocha@mcs.net
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
                              Hm - something like BONUS:SKILL|CHA|1 would be easy to do - what's
                              the likelihood of a skill named STR,DEX,CON,INT,WIS or CHA?
                              That would take almost a whole line of code to implement...

                              -Bryan

                              --- In pcgen@y..., john.sussenberger@l... wrote:
                              > Even more reason to have this coded :)
                              >
                              > Then I can make cool magic items that increase your Charisma
                              skillz!!

                              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=206662.1458837.3039162.908943/D=egroupmail/S=17
                              000000
                              > 01:N/A=682980/*http://altfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/1114-3934-1039-0?
                              mpt=99202
                              > 3268> Check out great fares at Orbitz!
                              >
                              > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                              M=206662.1458837.3039162.908943/D=egroupmail
                              > /S=1700000001:N/A=682980/rand=413493671>

                              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                            • Gary
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 16, 2001
                                I tried this, and it didn't work. So I'm letting you know.

                                Ioun Stone (Pale green) TYPE:Magic Item.Wonderous Cost:20000
                                WT:0 BONUS:CHECKS|Fortitude,Willpower,Reflex|1
                                BONUS:WEAPON|TOHIT|1 BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Unarmed Attack|TOHIT|1
                                BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1

                                The description says it gives +1 bonus to attacks, saving throws and
                                skill checks.

                              • Brass Tilde
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 16, 2001

                                  This bug has been entered at the SourceForge site as bug report #433808.

                                  You may access the SourceForge bug tracking page at:
                                  https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?group_id=25576&atid=384719

                                • House Gryphon
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 23, 2001