Re: [pcgen] Re: LANGUAGE Limits

  • Vance
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 4, 2001

      >If you learn to speak Dejy in location A, they write it out
      >with alpabet A. But if you learn to speak it in location B,
      >they write it out with alphabet B.
      >
      >It's still one language.
      >
      >By the rules it should stay one language.
      I've been listening to this and had to put my 2cp in.

      Just list the Languages as:
      Dejy (A)
      Dejy (B)

      Since you have to spend a skill to buy the Alphabet, just connect it to the
      root language. It might show up twice in your language skills, but now you
      can write both Alphabets.
      VR
    • Arcady
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 4, 2001
        This could work.

        You'd have about 10 versions of every language... but it
        could work.

        You do still need the LANGAUTO:CHOOSE feature.
        and the regional and ethnic features.

        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • nezzir@home.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 4, 2001
          I'm new to the list. I don't know if this has been covered yet:

          I found that if you equip leather armor, it gives you a -3 armor check
          penalty as well as +3 to your armor. It also limits your dex modifier to +3.

          Should be -0 armor check, +2 AC, +8 max dex.

          There also seems to be some refresh issues. There are some changes that if
          you make them you must save, exit, and come back in for the changes to be
          calculated (armor is one of the changes).

          I'm running the 1.4a beta

          I created a character using the D&D Dungeon Masters Guide, D&D Players
          Handbook, and Forgotten Realms rules set.
        • maggard@aztec.asu.edu
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 4, 2001
            Yet in the same region the example can occur. The Dejy clan based.
            Also the Merchant language is written in many alphabets. The
            flexibility of having two skills and using the FREE Write Alphabet:
            CHOOSE if you tie Literacy to Speak Language is could work.

          • mocha@mcs.net
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
              --- In pcgen@y..., "nezzir@h..." <nezzir@h...> wrote:
              > I'm new to the list. I don't know if this has been covered yet:
              >
              > I found that if you equip leather armor, it gives you a -3 armor
              check
              > penalty as well as +3 to your armor. It also limits your dex
              modifier to +3.

              > Should be -0 armor check, +2 AC, +8 max dex.

              Actually, it should be +6 max dex... +8 is padded. I just created a
              character and this all works correctly. Do you have anything else
              equipped? Is your character proficient with Light armor?

              > There also seems to be some refresh issues. There are some changes
              that if
              > you make them you must save, exit, and come back in for the changes
              to be
              > calculated (armor is one of the changes).

              Really? Hm - everything should be recalculated on the fly, so you
              shouldn't ever have to quit and come back in to see a change take
              effect. If you continue having problems I'd like to see your pcg
              file and if you could give me an exact series of steps that I could
              follow to see something that you change and how it doesn't take
              effect until the next time you launch PCGen, I'd appreciate it.

              -Bryan

              > I'm running the 1.4a beta
              >
              > I created a character using the D&D Dungeon Masters Guide, D&D
              Players
              > Handbook, and Forgotten Realms rules set.

              Thanks for the above info! It's also nice to know what race you
              created and what relevant stats you have (dex in the case of armor
              and max dex type issues) and what class you have (since that affects
              what armor proficiencies you have).

              -Bryan
            • nezzir@home.com
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
                At 02:42 PM 6/6/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                >--- In pcgen@y..., "nezzir@h..." <nezzir@h...> wrote:
                > > I'm new to the list. I don't know if this has been covered yet:
                > >
                > > I found that if you equip leather armor, it gives you a -3 armor
                >check
                > > penalty as well as +3 to your armor. It also limits your dex
                >modifier to +3.
                > >
                > > Should be -0 armor check, +2 AC, +8 max dex.
                >
                >Actually, it should be +6 max dex... +8 is padded. I just created a
                >character and this all works correctly. Do you have anything else
                >equipped? Is your character proficient with Light armor?

                I am proficient with light armor. Here's what I have equipped:
                Longbow (composite)
                Musical instrument,common (small)
                Entertainer (Clothing)
                Arrows (20)
                Backpack
                (Note: The leather is now unequipped to get around the error)

                > > There also seems to be some refresh issues. There are some changes
                >that if
                > > you make them you must save, exit, and come back in for the changes
                >to be
                > > calculated (armor is one of the changes).
                >
                >Really? Hm - everything should be recalculated on the fly, so you
                >shouldn't ever have to quit and come back in to see a change take
                >effect. If you continue having problems I'd like to see your pcg
                >file and if you could give me an exact series of steps that I could
                >follow to see something that you change and how it doesn't take
                >effect until the next time you launch PCGen, I'd appreciate it.
                >
                >-Bryan

                The biggest problem I've seen here is I changed my intelligence and it did
                not update the skill modifiers (it still hasn't). There are other things
                but I don't remember what they were. We are starting a new campaign this
                weekend and will probably be using the generator a lot. I'll take some notes.

                > > I'm running the 1.4a beta
                > >
                > > I created a character using the D&D Dungeon Masters Guide, D&D
                >Players
                > > Handbook, and Forgotten Realms rules set.
                >
                >Thanks for the above info! It's also nice to know what race you
                >created and what relevant stats you have (dex in the case of armor
                >and max dex type issues) and what class you have (since that affects
                >what armor proficiencies you have).
                >
                >-Bryan

                Half-Elven
                Bard
                Level 1
                Dex = 16

                Note: New bug -
                I'm working this character toward the "Arcane Archer" class. So to test
                it, I bumped the Bard up to level 8 to get him to the +6 attack bonus
                minimum req. The first thing I noticed was that it did not add any skill
                or feat points. Then (after I juggled it a bit and taking the rest of the
                reqs) I still could not take the class - it stayed starred out. I met all
                the reqs. I thought maybe it was the fact that I was proficient in the
                composite longbow instead of the longbow so I updated it - still no dice.

                If you would like I can send you the character file.

                PS - Thanks for responding

                NezziR,
                Mark A. Warren
                -=*-----------------------------------------------------*=-

                "Tis now the very witching time of night
                when churchyards yawn and hell itself breaths out contagion to this world,
                now could I drink hot blood and do such bitter business as the day would
                quake to look on."

                William Shakespeare,
                Hamlet
              • Franco, Matthew E
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
                  make sure your chacter isn't carrying to much if you have medium load pcgen
                  adds minuses do to ecumberance

                  as for trying for arcane archer did you put spells into your spell book?

                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
                    I am lightly loaded.
                    I have spells in my spell book.

                    I probably need to start it from scratch...

                    At 01:23 PM 6/6/2001 -0400, you wrote:
                    >make sure your chacter isn't carrying to much if you have medium load pcgen
                    >adds minuses do to ecumberance
                    >
                    >as for trying for arcane archer did you put spells into your spell book?

                    NezziR,
                    Mark A. Warren
                    -=*-----------------------------------------------------*=-

                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
                      And note that it has been an official ruling that INT changes do not
                      retroactively affect skill points. If you go from INT 11 to 12 at
                      level 5 you do not get the bonus skill points you would have had if
                      you had started out with an INT 12. I think PCGen behaves correctly
                      with this in mind.

                      -Bryan

                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
                        You might check to see if your weight carried is in the "light" category or
                        the "medium" category as weight also affects your Max Dex and Armor Check
                        Penalty.
                        VR

                      • nezzir@home.com
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 7, 2001
                          FYI - You were right - it was weight. I was removing the leather and it
                          was taking me under the limit. When I bought it back it "carried" was not
                          checked so the weight didn't change. It looked like the leather itself was
                          giving me the penalty...

                          Sorry for the confusion.