Re: [pcgen] Re: LANGUAGE Limits

  • Shane Harsch
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 4, 2001

      Why not treat each Alphabet as a separate craft skill? If you are literate, instead of being literate you are skilled in Dejy and Craft(AlphaA). If you go to learn another Lang, you have to learn another Alphabet. Unfortunately, learning an alphabet is no where near as difficult as learning a language, unless the language is pictographic, and then it's exactly like a language.

      My proposal:

      Craft(Alphabet) - INT - is a skill. This isn't too far from realistic, and you could even get into legibility: make a craft(alphabet) check, DC 10. Success = reader gets +2, 20 = reader gets +4, 1 = illegible. The reader must make a Craft(alphabet) check, applying whatever bonuses, vs DC 10 (concealment due to light applies).

      Languages should have a default alphabet associated with them. When you take speak language you need to learn one of those. If later you wanted to learn another alphabet, you could buy more ranks in Craft and learn the alphabet. After that point you would know the alphabet and if there was another language that used the same alphabet you would know how to write that language once you spoke it.

      Example
      Speak Language is defined with the following languages: English, German, Russian
      Craft (Roman) is the roman alphabet
      Craft (Cyrillic) is the cyrillic alphabet

      I am literate so I start the game with English and Craft(Roman alphabet). If I want to learn German I buy speak language and choose German. Since German uses the same alphabet, Craft(Roman), I can also write German (yes I know there are a couple of special characters but that's trivial). However, if I go to learn Russian, I would need to buy speak language and choose Russian but I would also have to learn Craft(Cyrillic) in order to write it in anything but the roman alphabet, which can be done pretty easily. However, since Cyrillic is the default alphabet for Russian, I would have a hard time communicating with the average russian by writing in the roman alphabet.

      The trick is to be sure that Craft(alphabet) is cross class for barbarians. 1 rank in Craft(alphabet) is enough since you only need a DC 10 check to write legibly (can't take 10 or 20), and even then the average reader will make their roll. You can always start over if your penmanship is bad.    =8)

      Personally, I don't think I would include "legibility tests" in my game. I would simply require 1 rank of Craft(alphabet) in order to be literate and leave it at that. This solution solves the literacy and the alphabet problem in a relatively realistic fashon.

      mudpyr8
      No, no, I really AM an applied linguist.

      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 4, 2001

        >If you learn to speak Dejy in location A, they write it out
        >with alpabet A. But if you learn to speak it in location B,
        >they write it out with alphabet B.
        >
        >It's still one language.
        >
        >By the rules it should stay one language.
        I've been listening to this and had to put my 2cp in.

        Just list the Languages as:
        Dejy (A)
        Dejy (B)

        Since you have to spend a skill to buy the Alphabet, just connect it to the
        root language. It might show up twice in your language skills, but now you
        can write both Alphabets.
        VR
      • Arcady
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 4, 2001
          This could work.

          You'd have about 10 versions of every language... but it
          could work.

          You do still need the LANGAUTO:CHOOSE feature.
          and the regional and ethnic features.

          a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • nezzir@home.com
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 4, 2001
            I'm new to the list. I don't know if this has been covered yet:

            I found that if you equip leather armor, it gives you a -3 armor check
            penalty as well as +3 to your armor. It also limits your dex modifier to +3.

            Should be -0 armor check, +2 AC, +8 max dex.

            There also seems to be some refresh issues. There are some changes that if
            you make them you must save, exit, and come back in for the changes to be
            calculated (armor is one of the changes).

            I'm running the 1.4a beta

            I created a character using the D&D Dungeon Masters Guide, D&D Players
            Handbook, and Forgotten Realms rules set.
          • maggard@aztec.asu.edu
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 4, 2001
              Yet in the same region the example can occur. The Dejy clan based.
              Also the Merchant language is written in many alphabets. The
              flexibility of having two skills and using the FREE Write Alphabet:
              CHOOSE if you tie Literacy to Speak Language is could work.

            • mocha@mcs.net
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
                --- In pcgen@y..., "nezzir@h..." <nezzir@h...> wrote:
                > I'm new to the list. I don't know if this has been covered yet:
                >
                > I found that if you equip leather armor, it gives you a -3 armor
                check
                > penalty as well as +3 to your armor. It also limits your dex
                modifier to +3.

                > Should be -0 armor check, +2 AC, +8 max dex.

                Actually, it should be +6 max dex... +8 is padded. I just created a
                character and this all works correctly. Do you have anything else
                equipped? Is your character proficient with Light armor?

                > There also seems to be some refresh issues. There are some changes
                that if
                > you make them you must save, exit, and come back in for the changes
                to be
                > calculated (armor is one of the changes).

                Really? Hm - everything should be recalculated on the fly, so you
                shouldn't ever have to quit and come back in to see a change take
                effect. If you continue having problems I'd like to see your pcg
                file and if you could give me an exact series of steps that I could
                follow to see something that you change and how it doesn't take
                effect until the next time you launch PCGen, I'd appreciate it.

                -Bryan

                > I'm running the 1.4a beta
                >
                > I created a character using the D&D Dungeon Masters Guide, D&D
                Players
                > Handbook, and Forgotten Realms rules set.

                Thanks for the above info! It's also nice to know what race you
                created and what relevant stats you have (dex in the case of armor
                and max dex type issues) and what class you have (since that affects
                what armor proficiencies you have).

                -Bryan
              • nezzir@home.com
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
                  At 02:42 PM 6/6/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                  >--- In pcgen@y..., "nezzir@h..." <nezzir@h...> wrote:
                  > > I'm new to the list. I don't know if this has been covered yet:
                  > >
                  > > I found that if you equip leather armor, it gives you a -3 armor
                  >check
                  > > penalty as well as +3 to your armor. It also limits your dex
                  >modifier to +3.
                  > >
                  > > Should be -0 armor check, +2 AC, +8 max dex.
                  >
                  >Actually, it should be +6 max dex... +8 is padded. I just created a
                  >character and this all works correctly. Do you have anything else
                  >equipped? Is your character proficient with Light armor?

                  I am proficient with light armor. Here's what I have equipped:
                  Longbow (composite)
                  Musical instrument,common (small)
                  Entertainer (Clothing)
                  Arrows (20)
                  Backpack
                  (Note: The leather is now unequipped to get around the error)

                  > > There also seems to be some refresh issues. There are some changes
                  >that if
                  > > you make them you must save, exit, and come back in for the changes
                  >to be
                  > > calculated (armor is one of the changes).
                  >
                  >Really? Hm - everything should be recalculated on the fly, so you
                  >shouldn't ever have to quit and come back in to see a change take
                  >effect. If you continue having problems I'd like to see your pcg
                  >file and if you could give me an exact series of steps that I could
                  >follow to see something that you change and how it doesn't take
                  >effect until the next time you launch PCGen, I'd appreciate it.
                  >
                  >-Bryan

                  The biggest problem I've seen here is I changed my intelligence and it did
                  not update the skill modifiers (it still hasn't). There are other things
                  but I don't remember what they were. We are starting a new campaign this
                  weekend and will probably be using the generator a lot. I'll take some notes.

                  > > I'm running the 1.4a beta
                  > >
                  > > I created a character using the D&D Dungeon Masters Guide, D&D
                  >Players
                  > > Handbook, and Forgotten Realms rules set.
                  >
                  >Thanks for the above info! It's also nice to know what race you
                  >created and what relevant stats you have (dex in the case of armor
                  >and max dex type issues) and what class you have (since that affects
                  >what armor proficiencies you have).
                  >
                  >-Bryan

                  Half-Elven
                  Bard
                  Level 1
                  Dex = 16

                  Note: New bug -
                  I'm working this character toward the "Arcane Archer" class. So to test
                  it, I bumped the Bard up to level 8 to get him to the +6 attack bonus
                  minimum req. The first thing I noticed was that it did not add any skill
                  or feat points. Then (after I juggled it a bit and taking the rest of the
                  reqs) I still could not take the class - it stayed starred out. I met all
                  the reqs. I thought maybe it was the fact that I was proficient in the
                  composite longbow instead of the longbow so I updated it - still no dice.

                  If you would like I can send you the character file.

                  PS - Thanks for responding

                  NezziR,
                  Mark A. Warren
                  -=*-----------------------------------------------------*=-

                  "Tis now the very witching time of night
                  when churchyards yawn and hell itself breaths out contagion to this world,
                  now could I drink hot blood and do such bitter business as the day would
                  quake to look on."

                  William Shakespeare,
                  Hamlet
                • Franco, Matthew E
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
                    make sure your chacter isn't carrying to much if you have medium load pcgen
                    adds minuses do to ecumberance

                    as for trying for arcane archer did you put spells into your spell book?

                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
                      I am lightly loaded.
                      I have spells in my spell book.

                      I probably need to start it from scratch...

                      At 01:23 PM 6/6/2001 -0400, you wrote:
                      >make sure your chacter isn't carrying to much if you have medium load pcgen
                      >adds minuses do to ecumberance
                      >
                      >as for trying for arcane archer did you put spells into your spell book?

                      NezziR,
                      Mark A. Warren
                      -=*-----------------------------------------------------*=-

                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
                        And note that it has been an official ruling that INT changes do not
                        retroactively affect skill points. If you go from INT 11 to 12 at
                        level 5 you do not get the bonus skill points you would have had if
                        you had started out with an INT 12. I think PCGen behaves correctly
                        with this in mind.

                        -Bryan

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
                          You might check to see if your weight carried is in the "light" category or
                          the "medium" category as weight also affects your Max Dex and Armor Check
                          Penalty.
                          VR

                        • nezzir@home.com
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 7, 2001
                            FYI - You were right - it was weight. I was removing the leather and it
                            was taking me under the limit. When I bought it back it "carried" was not
                            checked so the weight didn't change. It looked like the leather itself was
                            giving me the penalty...

                            Sorry for the confusion.