Re: [pcgen] Re: The Problems with PCGen and Solutions?

  • Lonestar
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 3, 2001
      kyc> I'd also like to address the gold issue. If you go under the misc.
      kyc> tab in the program and put in the amount of gold, silver, copper, or
      kyc> platinum peices the person in the party has it shows up on the ROG
      kyc> sheet under gold!

      I think currency support is supposed to be on the to-do list.
      It should be possible to have a self defined currency system for each
      campaign (region?).
      In the Forgotten Realms it is:
      1 platinum = 10 gold = 100 silver = 1000 copper coins
      In Waterdeep thers the toal (a square brass coin with a central hole,
      worth 2gp) and the harbor moon (a flat crescent platinum with a
      central hole and an electrum inlay, worth 50 gp in Waterdeep and 30gp
      elsewhere).
      Then there are trade bars of silver or gold in different weights (1 to
      10 pounds) and there are some other exotic currencies like the Gond
      bells (small brass bells. worth 10gp in trade and 20gp in Gond
      temples) or the Shaar rings (pierced and polished slices of ivory,
      worth 3gp each) plus an assortment of pearls (used by undersea
      creatures as currency).

      Ok, thats a rather complex currency system, but it would be great if
      it would be supported by PCGen ;)

      Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@...
    • mocha@mcs.net
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 4, 2001
        We've talked about a currency system, and it definitely will get
        done, just not for the 2.0.0 release. We'll let you define which
        currency is the 'standard', and the 'gold' field in the Items tab
        will be tied to how many of those coins you have. All the other
        coins will have a cost associated with them, which will give us an
        exchange rate. Our thinking was to do this as equipment, but in
        thinking about this I realize that the coins would then show up in
        the Equipment lists on the charactersheets, which may not be desired
        behavior. You could also display them in a separate 'wealth' section
        by using the EQTYPE.Coins token, but maybe breaking them out of
        equipment into a Wealth object would be a better implementation.
        Anyway, the idea is pretty much there, just need to work out the
        kinks. :)

        -Bryan

      • mocha@mcs.net
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 4, 2001
          --- In pcgen@y..., "Chris Wachal" <cwachal@h...> wrote:
          > Since PCGen was being partially rewritten anyways, I figured that I
          > would give a couple suggestions on features that would make PCGen
          the
          > best program it can be.

          Hey - I'm always open to ideas! :)

          > I finally convinced a programmer friend of mine to try PCGen to
          > generate characters, he liked the Master Tools demo for that. He
          > thinks that this program has so much potential but there are a
          couple
          > things that need to be changed. He says they would be fairly easy
          > repair and said he might be willing to help should you have
          questions
          > as to how to implement these features. What we see as a couple
          major
          > flaws of the program that are limiting its effectiveness are as
          > follows:
          >
          > 1. Feats need to have a screen set up to drag "available feats"
          over
          > to a "chosen feats" section. This will allow you to take any feats
          > more than once, unlike the current system. Each feat will need a
          > descriptor for whether or not it allows mulitple or not.
          >
          > It also allows you to easily see which feats you currently have as
          > well as easily take things like "Weapon Focus: longsword"
          and "Weapon
          > Focus: short sword".

          The feats tab looks very different - most tabs (feats included) are
          dominated by a table displaying all the relevant info. For feats
          this means whether or not you qualify for it, it's name, how you have
          it (virtual, no, yes), any pre-requisites, it's description and
          source file. The options (virtual, yes, no) is actually a button,
          and by clicking on the button you're selecting/de-selecting the feat
          (any choices related to it are then presented). You can sort by any
          column in the table (same for all tables in PCGen except for the
          stats table) and you can even filter out which feats are displayed.
          Our API will be open, so your friend would be able to construct his
          own interface if he wanted to. A largely drag-and-drop type
          interface would certainly be a good choice, but I like the amount of
          info you can provide in a table. It also gives you more sorting
          options than you'd have in a drag-n-drop solution. Just comes down to
          preferences.

          > 2. You need to be able to sort the equipment by all the
          categories.
          > As well, a system like the feats above where you drag items into
          your
          > inventory. Items could either be set as multiple or not. Multiple
          > items would allow you to buy more than one of something at once as
          be
          > listed as "7 days rations", whereas some items could only be bought
          > one at a time, so you could drag "Short Sword" over to your
          inventory
          > and have one. If you wanted a second one for your offhand, you
          could
          > drag another "Short Sword" over, each one would be listed as
          > different items.
          >
          > You would need a button called add or something so you could select
          > multiple item in your inventory and add 1 to it. So you would drag
          > over "Days of Iron Rations" and it would automatically assign 1 to
          > it, then you could click on it and add more, so you could put it up
          > to 7. This would also enable you to make "groups" of items. For
          > instance, in this same situation, after taking 7 days of rations,
          you
          > could drag another "days of iron rations" over, it would auto
          assign
          > 1 to that one, and then you could add 6 more to it, and therefore
          > have 2 "groups" of 7 days iron rations. This would make it easier
          > marks weeks of rations for instance off your character sheet.
          >
          > This system would enable you to actually equip one short sword in
          > each hand. It could be done by making your equipment into an array.

          All tables (minus one) will be sortable by every column, so that
          request is already handled.:) I have big plans on how to change the
          equipping functionality, but we just didn't have time to get that in
          this initial release. The way I want to handle it is via a drag-n-
          drop type interface which is very intuitive - I also plan on handling
          putting stuff in containers all in the same interface... so we'll get
          there, just not in 2.0.0 (maybe 2.0.1, but we'll see...) :)

          > 3. We need to have a similar system as the items for the skills.
          > Drag a skill over when you take it, it would set the skill at 1.0
          or
          > 0.5 if it is cross class. It would also ask you for the
          > specialization when you first move it over. For instance, if you
          > drag "History" over, it would come up with a list of choices for
          > specialization like "local" or "The Dales" or "Waterdeep" or
          > something.

          I take it you like drag-n-drop? :) My preference is definitely on
          the table side. Technically everyone has all skills (except
          exclusive ones) because ranks are really just modifiers, whereas drag-
          n-drop would indicate that you don't have the skill at all unless you
          allocate at least one skill-point to it. I like the table
          presentation because I can display in one column your total,
          modifiers, ranks and whatnot and you can sort on any of them. You
          can also use a filter to filter on just class-skills, cross-class
          skills, exclusive or untrained. I think you'll like it. :)

          > 4. The amount of gold you have left after you purchase your
          equipment
          > should print somewhere on the character sheets, it doesn't yet.
          You
          > have to manually enter it into the money section

          As ROG mentioned - this is a charactersheet issue. The GOLD token
          does this, but the wealth issue is about to get a face-lift
          afterwhich time ROG will add those tokens to his charactersheet.

          > 5. I would like to request the ability to add a bonus to all skills
          > based off of one attribute like "+2 to all charisma based skills".
          > don't know if you can already do this, however, right now the
          circlet
          > of persuasion is listed as +2 to charisma instead of +2 to all
          > charisma based skills.

          Ah - then it should really be +4 to charisma to give a +2 mod.

          > When I say "drag" in these examples, I believe something like the
          > current spell system, where you click on something then click a
          > button to add it would work too.

          Our drag-n-drop method for equipping, when completed, will look a lot
          like a file brower. You'll see objects displayed in a hierarchy, with
          containers displayed like a directory. In java this is called a
          JTree - so you can actually click on the object and drag it over the
          container you want to put it in.

          > I believe this system would require more information to be stored
          in
          > the character save files themselves. If you are already storing
          more
          > information in the character sheets, would it be possible to store
          > information like the stats on all your weapons, spells, abilities
          of
          > your current levels of classes, etc. on your character save file so
          > you could load it in any copy of PCGen without that copy having the
          > appropriate lst files so you could still view your character and
          > create character sheets, but you wouldn't be able to increase your
          > level in any class that you didn't have the lst files for.
          >
          > I understand that some of it would be a lot of work, however, right
          > now as it stands, you cannot take multiple toughness feats, or
          equip
          > 2 of the same weapons. As well, taking equipment is very difficult
          > right now, at the very least, this needs an "Add" button, so you
          > could select an item and then click the add button to add 1.
          >
          > I hope this helps slightly, you know I've been around a while
          trying
          > to make PCGen better, as I believe it can truly be THE best
          character
          > generator for D20.

          I'm certainly glad to hear your suggestions. PCGen wouldn't have
          gotten nearly this far if I'd insisted on only using my own ideas -
          many people have come up with absolutely fantastic ideas and have
          made coding it a lot of fun. I think that part of what makes PCGen
          special is that there's such a strong community effort behind it.
          Maybe by the time that GenCon rolls around we'll be up-to-date in
          terms of supporting all material that's been released by that time.
          That's pretty aggresive, but it's certainly worth a shot. :)

          -Bryan

        • sorrow@talk21.com
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 4, 2001
            *looks at Bryan's comments on V2.0*

            Oooooh. Every time someone mentions the new version, it sounds
            better ;)

            Can't wait to see this.
          • Damian
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 4, 2001
              Lots of stuff below.

              v     Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult,

              Erin

              > Since PCGen was being partially rewritten anyways, I figured that I
              > would give a couple suggestions on features that would make PCGen
              the
              > best program it can be.

              Hey - I'm always open to ideas! :)

              > I finally convinced a programmer friend of mine to try PCGen to
              > generate characters, he liked the Master Tools demo for that.  He
              > thinks that this program has so much potential but there are a
              couple
              > things that need to be changed.  He says they would be fairly easy
              > repair and said he might be willing to help should you have
              questions
              > as to how to implement these features.  What we see as a couple
              major
              > flaws of the program that are limiting its effectiveness are as
              > follows:
              >
              > 1. Feats need to have a screen set up to drag "available feats"
              over
              > to a "chosen feats" section.  This will allow you to take any feats
              > more than once, unlike the current system.  Each feat will need a
              > descriptor for whether or not it allows mulitple or not.
              >
              > It also allows you to easily see which feats you currently have as
              > well as easily take things like "Weapon Focus: longsword"
              and "Weapon
              > Focus: short sword".

              The feats tab looks very different - most tabs (feats included) are
              dominated by a table displaying all the relevant info.  For feats
              this means whether or not you qualify for it, it's name, how you have
              it (virtual, no, yes), any pre-requisites, it's description and
              source file.  The options (virtual, yes, no) is actually a button,
              and by clicking on the button you're selecting/de-selecting the feat
              (any choices related to it are then presented).  You can sort by any
              column in the table (same for all tables in PCGen except for the
              stats table) and you can even filter out which feats are displayed.
              Our API will be open, so your friend would be able to construct his
              own interface if he wanted to.  A largely drag-and-drop type
              interface would certainly be a good choice, but I like the amount of
              info you can provide in a table.  It also gives you more sorting
              options than you'd have in a drag-n-drop solution. Just comes down to
              preferences.

              I like the table method too.  I want LOTS of info in my generator.  that's part of the problem i had with the one that came with the Players Handbook.

> [...]

              > 0.5 if it is cross class.  It would also ask you for the
              > specialization when you first move it over.  For instance, if you
              > drag "History" over, it would come up with a list of choices for
              > specialization like "local" or "The Dales" or "Waterdeep" or
              > something.

              I take it you like drag-n-drop? :)  My preference is definitely on
              the table side.  Technically everyone has all skills (except
              exclusive ones) because ranks are really just modifiers, whereas drag-
              n-drop would indicate that you don't have the skill at all unless you
              allocate at least one skill-point to it.  I like the table
              presentation because I can display in one column your total,
              modifiers, ranks and whatnot and you can sort on any of them.  You
              can also use a filter to filter on just class-skills, cross-class
              skills, exclusive or untrained. I think you'll like it. :)

              Are we going to have pop up text fields for nonstandard specializations?  Stuff that's not in the books?

              > 4. The amount of gold you have left after you purchase your
              equipment
              > should print somewhere on the character sheets, it doesn't yet.
              You
              > have to manually enter it into the money section

              As ROG mentioned - this is a charactersheet issue.  The GOLD token
              does this, but the wealth issue is about to get a face-lift
              afterwhich time ROG will add those tokens to his charactersheet.

              > 5. I would like to request the ability to add a bonus to all skills
              > based off of one attribute like "+2 to all charisma based skills".
              > don't know if you can already do this, however, right now the
              circlet
              > of persuasion is listed as +2 to charisma instead of +2 to all
              > charisma based skills.

              Ah - then it should really be +4 to charisma to give a +2 mod.

              well, +4 to Charisma for purposes of skills.

              > When I say "drag" in these examples, I believe something like the
              > current spell system, where you click on something then click a
              > button to add it would work too.

              Our drag-n-drop method for equipping, when completed, will look a lot
              like a file brower. You'll see objects displayed in a hierarchy, with
              containers displayed like a directory.  In java this is called a
              JTree - so you can actually click on the object and drag it over the
              container you want to put it in.

              Going the rout of the old Core Rules stuff, eh?  cool, i liked how that worked, and is what i was going to suggest anyway (or did suggest, my minds a little glitchy right now).  Don't forget to allow containers within containers, and you COULD give them a HOME container, for stuff they want to HAVE, but don't carry with them.

              > I believe this system would require more information to be stored
              in
              > the character save files themselves.  If you are already storing
              more
              > information in the character sheets, would it be possible to store
              > information like the stats on all your weapons, spells, abilities
              of
              > your current levels of classes, etc. on your character save file so
              > you could load it in any copy of PCGen without that copy having the
              > appropriate lst files so you could still view your character and
              > create character sheets, but you wouldn't be able to increase your
              > level in any class that you didn't have the lst files for.
              >
              > I understand that some of it would be a lot of work, however, right
              > now as it stands, you cannot take multiple toughness feats, or
              equip
              > 2 of the same weapons.  As well, taking equipment is very difficult
              > right now, at the very least, this needs an "Add" button, so you
              > could select an item and then click the add button to add 1.
              >
              > I hope this helps slightly, you know I've been around a while
              trying
              > to make PCGen better, as I believe it can truly be THE best
              character
              > generator for D20.

              I'm certainly glad to hear your suggestions.  PCGen wouldn't have
              gotten nearly this far if I'd insisted on only using my own ideas -
              many people have come up with absolutely fantastic ideas and have
              made coding it a lot of fun.  I think that part of what makes PCGen
              special is that there's such a strong community effort behind it.
              Maybe by the time that GenCon rolls around we'll be up-to-date in
              terms of supporting all material that's been released by that time.
              That's pretty aggresive, but it's certainly worth a shot. :)

              Grrrrrr. still pissed that i'm not going to be able to go this year.  I'm already savign up for next year.

            • mocha@mcs.net
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 4, 2001
                --- In pcgen@y..., "Damian" <westfam@a...> wrote:
                > Lots of stuff below.
                >
                > v Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult,
                >
                > Erin

                I don't follow your question... I remember discussing a feature
                recently where we talked about adding text to any kind of object - is
                that what you're referring to? That'll be in the feature request
                list, but it won't be in 2.0.0. The new version will be quite like
                PCGen 1.4 in terms of what it can handle - it's mostly a gui facelift
                and the ability to run on non-Windows OSes that's driving the initial
                release.

                > > When I say "drag" in these examples, I believe something like
                the
                > > current spell system, where you click on something then click a
                > > button to add it would work too.
                >
                > Our drag-n-drop method for equipping, when completed, will look a
                lot
                > like a file brower. You'll see objects displayed in a hierarchy,
                with
                > containers displayed like a directory. In java this is called a
                > JTree - so you can actually click on the object and drag it over
                the
                > container you want to put it in.
                >
                > Going the rout of the old Core Rules stuff, eh? cool, i liked
                how that
                > worked, and is what i was going to suggest anyway (or did suggest,
                my minds
                > a little glitchy right now). Don't forget to allow containers
                within
                > containers, and you COULD give them a HOME container, for stuff
                they want to
                > HAVE, but don't carry with them.

                I've never seen the Core Rules, but it's possible the guy who started
                that work for me got his inspiration from there. I think he wants to
                treat everything (and throw in body parts as well...) as containers.
                That way you can put daggers in your cloak, or on your left ankle, or
                whatever. Containers will definitely be allowed to be nested - but I
                think we're planning on having it show what they're carrying and how
                they're carrying it. If we let you pick different modes (say you
                take items a-g while in a dungeon crawl, but only items a, d & e
                while in town. That would be messy to determine your encumberance
                because I wouldn't know where you were and that would impact your
                speed et al).

                > I'm certainly glad to hear your suggestions. PCGen wouldn't have
                > gotten nearly this far if I'd insisted on only using my own
                ideas -
                > many people have come up with absolutely fantastic ideas and have
                > made coding it a lot of fun. I think that part of what makes
                PCGen
                > special is that there's such a strong community effort behind it.
                > Maybe by the time that GenCon rolls around we'll be up-to-date in
                > terms of supporting all material that's been released by that
                time.
                > That's pretty aggresive, but it's certainly worth a shot. :)
                >
                > Grrrrrr. still pissed that i'm not going to be able to go this
                year. I'm
                > already savign up for next year.

                I'm hoping to go to GenCon. I've never gone before and this is its
                last year in Milwaukee. I'd like to go once just to see what the hub-
                bub is all about. I joke about making a T-Shirt about PCGen just to
                see if anyone knows what I'm talking about while I there.... ;)

                -Bryan

                > v Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult,
                >
                > Erin
                >

                > -Bryan
                >

                > > Chris Wachal
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                >
                > Yahoo! Website Services- Click Here!

                Service.
              • Damian
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 4, 2001

                  I don't follow your question... I remember discussing a feature
                  recently where we talked about adding text to any kind of object - is
                  that what you're referring to?  That'll be in the feature request
                  list, but it won't be in 2.0.0.  The new version will be quite like
                  PCGen 1.4 in terms of what it can handle - it's mostly a gui facelift
                  and the ability to run on non-Windows OSes that's driving the initial
                  release.

                  For instanc you could select Craft, and put "automobile" as the type.

                  >   >
                  >   >
                  When I say "drag" in these examples, I believe something like
                  the
                  >   > current spell system, where you click on
                  something then click a
                  >   > button to add it would work
                  too.

                  >   Our drag-n-drop method for equipping, when
                  completed, will look a
                  lot
                  >   like a file brower. You'll
                  see objects displayed in a hierarchy,
                  with
                  >   containers
                  displayed like a directory.  In java this is called a

                  JTree - so you can actually click on the object and drag it over
                  the
                  >   container you want to put it in.
                  >
                  >   Going the rout of the old Core Rules stuff, eh?  cool,
                  i liked
                  how that
                  > worked, and is what i was going to suggest anyway
                  (or did suggest,
                  my minds
                  > a little glitchy right now).  Don't
                  forget to allow containers
                  within
                  > containers, and you COULD give
                  them a HOME container, for stuff
                  they want to
                  > HAVE, but don't carry
                  with them.

                  I've never seen the Core Rules, but it's possible the guy who started
                  that work for me got his inspiration from there.  I think he wants to
                  treat everything (and throw in body parts as well...) as containers.
                  That way you can put daggers in your cloak, or on your left ankle, or
                  whatever. Containers will definitely be allowed to be nested - but I
                  think we're planning on having it show what they're carrying and how
                  they're carrying it.  If we let you pick different modes (say you
                  take items a-g while in a dungeon crawl, but only items a, d & e
                  while in town.  That would be messy to determine your encumberance
                  because I wouldn't know where you were and that would impact your
                  speed et al).

                  >   I'm certainly glad to hear your
                  suggestions.  PCGen wouldn't have
                  >   gotten nearly this
                  far if I'd insisted on only using my own
                  ideas -
                  >   many
                  people have come up with absolutely fantastic ideas and have

                  made coding it a lot of fun.  I think that part of what makes
                  PCGen
                  >   special is that there's such a strong community
                  effort behind it.
                  >   Maybe by the time that GenCon rolls around
                  we'll be up-to-date in
                  >   terms of supporting all material
                  that's been released by that
                  time.
                  >   That's pretty
                  aggresive, but it's certainly worth a shot. :)

                  Grrrrrr. still pissed that i'm not going to be able to go this
                  year.  I'm
                  > already savign up for next year.

                  I'm hoping to go to GenCon.  I've never gone before and this is its
                  last year in Milwaukee.  I'd like to go once just to see what the hub-
                  bub is all about.  I joke about making a T-Shirt about PCGen just to
                  see if anyone knows what I'm talking about while I there.... ;)

                  -Bryan
                   2002 is the last year.  i checked the wizards.com schedule.  http://www.wizards.com/gencon/2001/future_gencons.asp
                • Damian
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 4, 2001

                    v     Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult,

                    Erin

                    I don't follow your question... I remember discussing a feature
                    recently where we talked about adding text to any kind of object - is
                    that what you're referring to?  That'll be in the feature request
                    list, but it won't be in 2.0.0.  The new version will be quite like
                    PCGen 1.4 in terms of what it can handle - it's mostly a gui facelift
                    and the ability to run on non-Windows OSes that's driving the initial
                    release.

                    For instanc you could select Craft, and put "automobile" as the type.

                    That is, in addition to the other choices.  you know, have a "blank" choice that will let you type in it, or you can use the pull down.  better explanaion?
                  • maggard@aztec.asu.edu
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 4, 2001
                      A seperate area for Wealth would allow the gems, precious metals,
                      etc. to be in one area. And equipment becomes the tools to do your
                      job.

                    • mocha@mcs.net
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 6, 2001
                        I see... I think someone already mentioned that this would cause
                        potential problems for Feats like Skill Focus. I am planning on
                        putting in PCGen the ability to 'collapse' skills. This has been a
                        long-standing request... basically some skills are related and you
                        don't necessarily always want to see all of them listed. The Filters
                        in PCGen 2.0 get you part of the way since you can pick if you want
                        to see Class skills, Cross-Class, Untrained or Exclusive. But to
                        collapse all the Knowledge skills into one row is also on the board.
                        It won't make the initial release - but you'll see the disabled
                        checkbox which will make it happen at some point... If you really
                        want to select a Knowledge Skill you can uncollapse the skill view,
                        if you want to collapse the hundred billion Knowledge, Craft and
                        Profession skills, just click on the checkbox. It should make
                        naviagating the skill list a lot easier.

                        -Bryan

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 6, 2001
                          I think what I'll do is keep wealth (like coins, gems, etc.) in the
                          equipment list to keep purchasing/selling simple. When you produce a
                          character sheet I'll strip those items out of the equipment list and
                          put them in a separate list with a new token to output them. When
                          the charactersheet is done I'll put them back in the equipment list.
                          I might be able to get this done before the release of 2.0... but I'm
                          not sure.

                          -Bryan

                        • maggard@aztec.asu.edu
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 6, 2001
                            Any chance of taking this one step further so you can collaps
                            different levels of each skills?
                            e.g.
                            + Craft Skills
                            - Knowledge Skills
                            + A - D
                            + E - H
                            + I - L
                            + M - p
                            + Q - T
                            + U - Z
                            + Profession Skills

                            --- In pcgen@y..., mocha@m... wrote:
                            > I see... I think someone already mentioned that this would cause
                            > potential problems for Feats like Skill Focus. I am planning on
                            > putting in PCGen the ability to 'collapse' skills. This has been a
                            > long-standing request... basically some skills are related and you
                            > don't necessarily always want to see all of them listed. The
                            Filters
                            > in PCGen 2.0 get you part of the way since you can pick if you want
                            > to see Class skills, Cross-Class, Untrained or Exclusive. But to
                            > collapse all the Knowledge skills into one row is also on the
                            board.
                            > It won't make the initial release - but you'll see the disabled
                            > checkbox which will make it happen at some point... If you really
                            > want to select a Knowledge Skill you can uncollapse the skill view,
                            > if you want to collapse the hundred billion Knowledge, Craft and
                            > Profession skills, just click on the checkbox. It should make
                            > naviagating the skill list a lot easier.
                            >
                            > -Bryan
                          • Chris Wachal
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 6, 2001
                              > The feats tab looks very different - most tabs (feats included) are
                              > dominated by a table displaying all the relevant info. For feats
                              > this means whether or not you qualify for it, it's name, how you
                              have
                              > it (virtual, no, yes), any pre-requisites, it's description and
                              > source file. The options (virtual, yes, no) is actually a button,
                              > and by clicking on the button you're selecting/de-selecting the
                              feat
                              > (any choices related to it are then presented). You can sort by
                              any
                              > column in the table (same for all tables in PCGen except for the
                              > stats table) and you can even filter out which feats are
                              displayed.
                              > Our API will be open, so your friend would be able to construct his
                              > own interface if he wanted to. A largely drag-and-drop type
                              > interface would certainly be a good choice, but I like the amount
                              of
                              > info you can provide in a table. It also gives you more sorting
                              > options than you'd have in a drag-n-drop solution. Just comes down
                              > preferences.

                              I agree, however, I like to be able to see the feats I currently have
                              in a quick list so that I can see "I've spend 2 feats on toughness, I
                              already have power attack, hmm...I guess I could take cleave" and
                              then search for the feat in the list.

                              Also, being able to quickly bypass feats that I can not take would be
                              handy, either being able to filter them out or make them greyed out,
                              it is not easy to see the * beside it.

                              > All tables (minus one) will be sortable by every column, so that
                              > request is already handled.:) I have big plans on how to change
                              the
                              > equipping functionality, but we just didn't have time to get that
                              in
                              > this initial release. The way I want to handle it is via a drag-n-
                              > drop type interface which is very intuitive - I also plan on
                              handling
                              > putting stuff in containers all in the same interface... so we'll
                              get
                              > there, just not in 2.0.0 (maybe 2.0.1, but we'll see...) :)

                              I'm glad to hear this. This should all work out good. I do think
                              that the feature of Master Tools to set up "Sets" of equipment for
                              things like "what are my pluses with 2 weapons", "what about with a
                              weapon and a shield?".

                              If the equipment section isn't changing in the next version, could
                              you at least add a button to add one to the currently selected
                              equipment? Also, supporting shield proficiencies would be handy.

                              > I take it you like drag-n-drop? :) My preference is definitely on
                              > the table side. Technically everyone has all skills (except
                              > exclusive ones) because ranks are really just modifiers, whereas
                              drag-
                              > n-drop would indicate that you don't have the skill at all unless
                              you
                              > allocate at least one skill-point to it. I like the table
                              > presentation because I can display in one column your total,
                              > modifiers, ranks and whatnot and you can sort on any of them. You
                              > can also use a filter to filter on just class-skills, cross-class
                              > skills, exclusive or untrained. I think you'll like it. :)

                              That is technically incorrect. All players have all the untrained
                              skills, however that is less than half the list. You need to have at
                              least 1 rank in a trained skill to be able to use that skill.

                              Having a list of available skills and ones you have access to would
                              be handy. Maybe start the skill list of skills you already have with
                              all of the untrained skills. This way newbies can see "Oh, I already
                              have swim at 4 total because I have an 18 strength, but I can't play
                              an instrument yet." I think for newbies, it helps to be able to
                              see "these are all the skills I can use, and these are the ones I
                              can't".

                              For us who play DND a lot, it is easy to just say "I know that any
                              skill that has a cost of 1.0 is a class skill and anyone with a cost
                              of 2.0 is a cross classed skill." Being able to filter the skill
                              list to "untrained, trained, class skills, cross-class skills,
                              exclusive, and all" would be handy.

                              Also, I want to make a request for my friend. He apparently hates
                              clicking an add button, he wants to be able to enter the number of
                              ranks in a field for a skill.

                              > As ROG mentioned - this is a charactersheet issue. The GOLD token
                              > does this, but the wealth issue is about to get a face-lift
                              > afterwhich time ROG will add those tokens to his charactersheet.

                              I now know about the gold issue. I thought there might have been the
                              capability to put them on the character sheet. I just thought it
                              kind of strange that the program had that capability and it didn't
                              print it.

                              > > 5. I would like to request the ability to add a bonus to all
                              skills
                              > > based off of one attribute like "+2 to all charisma based
                              skills".
                              > > don't know if you can already do this, however, right now the
                              > circlet
                              > > of persuasion is listed as +2 to charisma instead of +2 to all
                              > > charisma based skills.
                              >
                              > Ah - then it should really be +4 to charisma to give a +2 mod.

                              That doesn't work correctly, however. A +4 charisma does add the
                              correct modifier to all your skills, however it also adds +2 to your
                              spell DCs if you are a sorcerer and your saves if you are a paladin.
                              The circlet isn't supposed to do that.

                              Right now, I have made a work around on my system by changing the
                              circlet of persuasion to add plus 2 to every charisma based skill
                              individually, however if anyone adds another charisma based skill in
                              a LST file, the circlet would not add to that.

                              A function to do something like "Add 2 to all skills based off of any
                              one stat" would be handy.

                              > I'm certainly glad to hear your suggestions. PCGen wouldn't have
                              > gotten nearly this far if I'd insisted on only using my own ideas -
                              > many people have come up with absolutely fantastic ideas and have
                              > made coding it a lot of fun. I think that part of what makes PCGen
                              > special is that there's such a strong community effort behind it.
                              > Maybe by the time that GenCon rolls around we'll be up-to-date in
                              > terms of supporting all material that's been released by that
                              time.
                              > That's pretty aggresive, but it's certainly worth a shot. :)
                              >
                              > -Bryan

                              No problem, I like trying to help. I take no offense at any
                              criticism of my comments either, they may not be the best way to do
                              things, but I think they will help.

                              Chris Wachal
                            • nezzir@home.com
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 7, 2001
                                Someone mentioned there was a box to check that would include all skills on
                                the html page. Right now it just shows the ones I have put points in...
                              • mocha@mcs.net
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
                                  In the main tab where you select options there's a checkbox for
                                  Include Untrained Skills. If you click on this *BEFORE* you import
                                  or create a new character, all the untrained skills will be added to
                                  your character. In PCGen 2.0.0 this has been expanded slightly to a
                                  selection box where you can pick None (meaning no extra skills),
                                  Untrained (like clicking on this checkbox) and All (you get
                                  everything, trained & exclusive...)

                                  -Bryan

                                  --- In pcgen@y..., "nezzir@h..." <nezzir@h...> wrote:
                                  > Someone mentioned there was a box to check that would include all
                                  skills on
                                  > the html page. Right now it just shows the ones I have put points
                                  in...
                                • Gary
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
                                    There's also items like the luck stone and an ioun stone that give you
                                    a +1 to stat checks or a +1 to ALL skill checks. We'd rather not have
                                    to specify each skill on those items. I'm sure more will crop up.

                                    --- In pcgen@y..., "House Gryphon" <gryps@b...> wrote:
> [...]
                                    Potion of

                                  • mocha@mcs.net
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
                                      I think BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1 would work for this. At least I think it
                                      ought to... let me know if it doesn't!

                                      -Bryan

                                    • john.sussenberger@libertymutual.com
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
                                        Even more reason to have this coded :)

                                        Then I can make cool magic items that increase your Charisma skillz!!

                                      • mocha@mcs.net
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
                                          Hm - something like BONUS:SKILL|CHA|1 would be easy to do - what's
                                          the likelihood of a skill named STR,DEX,CON,INT,WIS or CHA?
                                          That would take almost a whole line of code to implement...

                                          -Bryan

                                          --- In pcgen@y..., john.sussenberger@l... wrote:
                                          > Even more reason to have this coded :)
                                          >
                                          > Then I can make cool magic items that increase your Charisma
                                          skillz!!

                                          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=206662.1458837.3039162.908943/D=egroupmail/S=17
                                          000000
                                          > 01:N/A=682980/*http://altfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/1114-3934-1039-0?
                                          mpt=99202
                                          > 3268> Check out great fares at Orbitz!
                                          >
                                          > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                                          M=206662.1458837.3039162.908943/D=egroupmail
                                          > /S=1700000001:N/A=682980/rand=413493671>

                                          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                                        • Gary
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jun 16, 2001
                                            I tried this, and it didn't work. So I'm letting you know.

                                            Ioun Stone (Pale green) TYPE:Magic Item.Wonderous Cost:20000
                                            WT:0 BONUS:CHECKS|Fortitude,Willpower,Reflex|1
                                            BONUS:WEAPON|TOHIT|1 BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Unarmed Attack|TOHIT|1
                                            BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1

                                            The description says it gives +1 bonus to attacks, saving throws and
                                            skill checks.

                                          • Brass Tilde
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jun 16, 2001

                                              This bug has been entered at the SourceForge site as bug report #433808.

                                              You may access the SourceForge bug tracking page at:
                                              https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?group_id=25576&atid=384719

                                            • House Gryphon
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jun 23, 2001
                                                From: "Chris Wachal" <cwachal@...>