The Problems with PCGen and Solutions?

  • Chris Wachal
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 2, 2001
      Since PCGen was being partially rewritten anyways, I figured that I
      would give a couple suggestions on features that would make PCGen the
      best program it can be.

      I finally convinced a programmer friend of mine to try PCGen to
      generate characters, he liked the Master Tools demo for that. He
      thinks that this program has so much potential but there are a couple
      things that need to be changed. He says they would be fairly easy to
      repair and said he might be willing to help should you have questions
      as to how to implement these features. What we see as a couple major
      flaws of the program that are limiting its effectiveness are as
      follows:

      1. Feats need to have a screen set up to drag "available feats" over
      to a "chosen feats" section. This will allow you to take any feats
      more than once, unlike the current system. Each feat will need a
      descriptor for whether or not it allows mulitple or not.

      It also allows you to easily see which feats you currently have as
      well as easily take things like "Weapon Focus: longsword" and "Weapon
      Focus: short sword".

      2. You need to be able to sort the equipment by all the categories.
      As well, a system like the feats above where you drag items into your
      inventory. Items could either be set as multiple or not. Multiple
      items would allow you to buy more than one of something at once as be
      listed as "7 days rations", whereas some items could only be bought
      one at a time, so you could drag "Short Sword" over to your inventory
      and have one. If you wanted a second one for your offhand, you could
      drag another "Short Sword" over, each one would be listed as
      different items.

      You would need a button called add or something so you could select a
      multiple item in your inventory and add 1 to it. So you would drag
      over "Days of Iron Rations" and it would automatically assign 1 to
      it, then you could click on it and add more, so you could put it up
      to 7. This would also enable you to make "groups" of items. For
      instance, in this same situation, after taking 7 days of rations, you
      could drag another "days of iron rations" over, it would auto assign
      1 to that one, and then you could add 6 more to it, and therefore
      have 2 "groups" of 7 days iron rations. This would make it easier to
      marks weeks of rations for instance off your character sheet.

      This system would enable you to actually equip one short sword in
      each hand. It could be done by making your equipment into an array.

      3. We need to have a similar system as the items for the skills.
      Drag a skill over when you take it, it would set the skill at 1.0 or
      0.5 if it is cross class. It would also ask you for the
      specialization when you first move it over. For instance, if you
      drag "History" over, it would come up with a list of choices for
      specialization like "local" or "The Dales" or "Waterdeep" or
      something.

      4. The amount of gold you have left after you purchase your equipment
      should print somewhere on the character sheets, it doesn't yet. You
      have to manually enter it into the money section

      5. I would like to request the ability to add a bonus to all skills
      based off of one attribute like "+2 to all charisma based skills". I
      don't know if you can already do this, however, right now the circlet
      of persuasion is listed as +2 to charisma instead of +2 to all
      charisma based skills.

      When I say "drag" in these examples, I believe something like the
      current spell system, where you click on something then click a
      button to add it would work too.

      I believe this system would require more information to be stored in
      the character save files themselves. If you are already storing more
      information in the character sheets, would it be possible to store
      information like the stats on all your weapons, spells, abilities of
      your current levels of classes, etc. on your character save file so
      you could load it in any copy of PCGen without that copy having the
      appropriate lst files so you could still view your character and
      create character sheets, but you wouldn't be able to increase your
      level in any class that you didn't have the lst files for.

      I understand that some of it would be a lot of work, however, right
      now as it stands, you cannot take multiple toughness feats, or equip
      2 of the same weapons. As well, taking equipment is very difficult
      right now, at the very least, this needs an "Add" button, so you
      could select an item and then click the add button to add 1.

      I hope this helps slightly, you know I've been around a while trying
      to make PCGen better, as I believe it can truly be THE best character
      generator for D20.

      Chris Wachal
    • Richard O'Doherty-Gregg
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 3, 2001

        I’ll Just address a couple of your points.

        The gold doesn’t show up on the ROG sheet because I don’t use the gold field (you can add it wherever you want on the sheet by inserting the |GOLD| tag I believe). I was waiting to add a proper coins section when we have support for cp, sp, gp and pp sometime in the future. And the amount of gold that the characters in the party that I DM have changes so often, they don’t actually want it printed on the sheet. I feel the sheet should mainly only have stuff on it that doesn’t change between levels (hence I also don’t output what spells the characters have memorized as this also changes regularly). I guess I’m just trying to save paper J

        Secondly, it is possible to take the toughness feat more than once. Have you tried it out? Create a human character so that it starts with 2 feats, and then select toughness. You will find that each time you select toughness it comes up with another window allowing you to allocate more than one feat slot to it (or get feat slots back).

        Many of the other points you have mentioned (like the drag and drop) will (and have) be experimented with no doubt once the conversion has been finished. I know the programmers were playing with that system for purchasing items, but it won’t make the first release of PCGen2.0 though.

        Oh, and you can sort just about every table in PCGen2.0 as well J

        Personally, I hope that once 2.0 is available, that they concentrate on adding more support for customisation (ie. There are quite a few additions needed to support some of the new content, like Defenders of the Faith etc) rather than adding fancy interface “features” J

        ROG

        Richard & Sarah O'Doherty-Gregg

        17 Alwyn Rd, Lenah Valley, TAS

        Australia 7008

        OdGregg@...

      • kmaxx93749@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 3, 2001
          I'd also like to address the gold issue. If you go under the misc.
          tab in the program and put in the amount of gold, silver, copper, or
          platinum peices the person in the party has it shows up on the ROG
          sheet under gold!

          --- In pcgen@y..., "Richard O'Doherty-Gregg" <OdGregg@b...> wrote:
          > I'll Just address a couple of your points.
          >

          > The gold doesn't show up on the ROG sheet because I don't use the
          gold
          > field (you can add it wherever you want on the sheet by inserting
          the
          > |GOLD| tag I believe). I was waiting to add a proper coins section
          when
          > we have support for cp, sp, gp and pp sometime in the future. And
          the
          > amount of gold that the characters in the party that I DM have
          changes
          > so often, they don't actually want it printed on the sheet. I feel
          the
          > sheet should mainly only have stuff on it that doesn't change
          between
          > levels (hence I also don't output what spells the characters have
          > memorized as this also changes regularly). I guess I'm just trying
          > save paper :-)
          >

          > Secondly, it is possible to take the toughness feat more than once.
          Have
          > you tried it out? Create a human character so that it starts with 2
          > feats, and then select toughness. You will find that each time you
          > select toughness it comes up with another window allowing you to
          > allocate more than one feat slot to it (or get feat slots back).
          >

          > Many of the other points you have mentioned (like the drag and drop)
          > will (and have) be experimented with no doubt once the conversion
          has
          > been finished. I know the programmers were playing with that system
          for
          > purchasing items, but it won't make the first release of PCGen2.0
          > though.
          >

          > Oh, and you can sort just about every table in PCGen2.0 as well :-)
          >

          > Personally, I hope that once 2.0 is available, that they
          concentrate on
          > adding more support for customisation (ie. There are quite a few
          > additions needed to support some of the new content, like Defenders
          of
          > the Faith etc) rather than adding fancy interface "features" :-)
          >

          > ROG
          >

          > Richard & Sarah O'Doherty-Gregg
          >
          > 17 Alwyn Rd, Lenah Valley, TAS
          >
          > Australia 7008
          >
          > OdGregg@b...

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=206662.1458837.3039162.908943/D=egroupmail/S=17
          00
          > 000001:N/A=682980/*http:/altfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/1114-3934-1039-
          0?mp
          > t=991509679> Check out great fares at Orbitz!
          >

          > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
          M=206662.1458837.3039162.908943/D=egroup
          > mail/S=1700000001:N/A=682980/rand=148818119>

        • Richard O'Doherty-Gregg
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 3, 2001
            Yes, that's true (and what I do), but I believe Chris was referring
            to the gold field on the equipment tab which is not included on my
            character sheet.

            -ROG

            ps. By the way Chris, I hope I didn't offend you with my reply, I was
            just trying to point out how "we" currently do some things in PCGen :-
            ) You're post contained very good comments :-)

          • Lonestar
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 3, 2001
              kyc> I'd also like to address the gold issue. If you go under the misc.
              kyc> tab in the program and put in the amount of gold, silver, copper, or
              kyc> platinum peices the person in the party has it shows up on the ROG
              kyc> sheet under gold!

              I think currency support is supposed to be on the to-do list.
              It should be possible to have a self defined currency system for each
              campaign (region?).
              In the Forgotten Realms it is:
              1 platinum = 10 gold = 100 silver = 1000 copper coins
              In Waterdeep thers the toal (a square brass coin with a central hole,
              worth 2gp) and the harbor moon (a flat crescent platinum with a
              central hole and an electrum inlay, worth 50 gp in Waterdeep and 30gp
              elsewhere).
              Then there are trade bars of silver or gold in different weights (1 to
              10 pounds) and there are some other exotic currencies like the Gond
              bells (small brass bells. worth 10gp in trade and 20gp in Gond
              temples) or the Shaar rings (pierced and polished slices of ivory,
              worth 3gp each) plus an assortment of pearls (used by undersea
              creatures as currency).

              Ok, thats a rather complex currency system, but it would be great if
              it would be supported by PCGen ;)

              Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@...
            • mocha@mcs.net
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 4, 2001
                We've talked about a currency system, and it definitely will get
                done, just not for the 2.0.0 release. We'll let you define which
                currency is the 'standard', and the 'gold' field in the Items tab
                will be tied to how many of those coins you have. All the other
                coins will have a cost associated with them, which will give us an
                exchange rate. Our thinking was to do this as equipment, but in
                thinking about this I realize that the coins would then show up in
                the Equipment lists on the charactersheets, which may not be desired
                behavior. You could also display them in a separate 'wealth' section
                by using the EQTYPE.Coins token, but maybe breaking them out of
                equipment into a Wealth object would be a better implementation.
                Anyway, the idea is pretty much there, just need to work out the
                kinks. :)

                -Bryan

              • mocha@mcs.net
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 4, 2001
                  --- In pcgen@y..., "Chris Wachal" <cwachal@h...> wrote:
                  > Since PCGen was being partially rewritten anyways, I figured that I
                  > would give a couple suggestions on features that would make PCGen
                  the
                  > best program it can be.

                  Hey - I'm always open to ideas! :)

                  > I finally convinced a programmer friend of mine to try PCGen to
                  > generate characters, he liked the Master Tools demo for that. He
                  > thinks that this program has so much potential but there are a
                  couple
                  > things that need to be changed. He says they would be fairly easy
                  > repair and said he might be willing to help should you have
                  questions
                  > as to how to implement these features. What we see as a couple
                  major
                  > flaws of the program that are limiting its effectiveness are as
                  > follows:
                  >
                  > 1. Feats need to have a screen set up to drag "available feats"
                  over
                  > to a "chosen feats" section. This will allow you to take any feats
                  > more than once, unlike the current system. Each feat will need a
                  > descriptor for whether or not it allows mulitple or not.
                  >
                  > It also allows you to easily see which feats you currently have as
                  > well as easily take things like "Weapon Focus: longsword"
                  and "Weapon
                  > Focus: short sword".

                  The feats tab looks very different - most tabs (feats included) are
                  dominated by a table displaying all the relevant info. For feats
                  this means whether or not you qualify for it, it's name, how you have
                  it (virtual, no, yes), any pre-requisites, it's description and
                  source file. The options (virtual, yes, no) is actually a button,
                  and by clicking on the button you're selecting/de-selecting the feat
                  (any choices related to it are then presented). You can sort by any
                  column in the table (same for all tables in PCGen except for the
                  stats table) and you can even filter out which feats are displayed.
                  Our API will be open, so your friend would be able to construct his
                  own interface if he wanted to. A largely drag-and-drop type
                  interface would certainly be a good choice, but I like the amount of
                  info you can provide in a table. It also gives you more sorting
                  options than you'd have in a drag-n-drop solution. Just comes down to
                  preferences.

                  > 2. You need to be able to sort the equipment by all the
                  categories.
                  > As well, a system like the feats above where you drag items into
                  your
                  > inventory. Items could either be set as multiple or not. Multiple
                  > items would allow you to buy more than one of something at once as
                  be
                  > listed as "7 days rations", whereas some items could only be bought
                  > one at a time, so you could drag "Short Sword" over to your
                  inventory
                  > and have one. If you wanted a second one for your offhand, you
                  could
                  > drag another "Short Sword" over, each one would be listed as
                  > different items.
                  >
                  > You would need a button called add or something so you could select
                  > multiple item in your inventory and add 1 to it. So you would drag
                  > over "Days of Iron Rations" and it would automatically assign 1 to
                  > it, then you could click on it and add more, so you could put it up
                  > to 7. This would also enable you to make "groups" of items. For
                  > instance, in this same situation, after taking 7 days of rations,
                  you
                  > could drag another "days of iron rations" over, it would auto
                  assign
                  > 1 to that one, and then you could add 6 more to it, and therefore
                  > have 2 "groups" of 7 days iron rations. This would make it easier
                  > marks weeks of rations for instance off your character sheet.
                  >
                  > This system would enable you to actually equip one short sword in
                  > each hand. It could be done by making your equipment into an array.

                  All tables (minus one) will be sortable by every column, so that
                  request is already handled.:) I have big plans on how to change the
                  equipping functionality, but we just didn't have time to get that in
                  this initial release. The way I want to handle it is via a drag-n-
                  drop type interface which is very intuitive - I also plan on handling
                  putting stuff in containers all in the same interface... so we'll get
                  there, just not in 2.0.0 (maybe 2.0.1, but we'll see...) :)

                  > 3. We need to have a similar system as the items for the skills.
                  > Drag a skill over when you take it, it would set the skill at 1.0
                  or
                  > 0.5 if it is cross class. It would also ask you for the
                  > specialization when you first move it over. For instance, if you
                  > drag "History" over, it would come up with a list of choices for
                  > specialization like "local" or "The Dales" or "Waterdeep" or
                  > something.

                  I take it you like drag-n-drop? :) My preference is definitely on
                  the table side. Technically everyone has all skills (except
                  exclusive ones) because ranks are really just modifiers, whereas drag-
                  n-drop would indicate that you don't have the skill at all unless you
                  allocate at least one skill-point to it. I like the table
                  presentation because I can display in one column your total,
                  modifiers, ranks and whatnot and you can sort on any of them. You
                  can also use a filter to filter on just class-skills, cross-class
                  skills, exclusive or untrained. I think you'll like it. :)

                  > 4. The amount of gold you have left after you purchase your
                  equipment
                  > should print somewhere on the character sheets, it doesn't yet.
                  You
                  > have to manually enter it into the money section

                  As ROG mentioned - this is a charactersheet issue. The GOLD token
                  does this, but the wealth issue is about to get a face-lift
                  afterwhich time ROG will add those tokens to his charactersheet.

                  > 5. I would like to request the ability to add a bonus to all skills
                  > based off of one attribute like "+2 to all charisma based skills".
                  > don't know if you can already do this, however, right now the
                  circlet
                  > of persuasion is listed as +2 to charisma instead of +2 to all
                  > charisma based skills.

                  Ah - then it should really be +4 to charisma to give a +2 mod.

                  > When I say "drag" in these examples, I believe something like the
                  > current spell system, where you click on something then click a
                  > button to add it would work too.

                  Our drag-n-drop method for equipping, when completed, will look a lot
                  like a file brower. You'll see objects displayed in a hierarchy, with
                  containers displayed like a directory. In java this is called a
                  JTree - so you can actually click on the object and drag it over the
                  container you want to put it in.

                  > I believe this system would require more information to be stored
                  in
                  > the character save files themselves. If you are already storing
                  more
                  > information in the character sheets, would it be possible to store
                  > information like the stats on all your weapons, spells, abilities
                  of
                  > your current levels of classes, etc. on your character save file so
                  > you could load it in any copy of PCGen without that copy having the
                  > appropriate lst files so you could still view your character and
                  > create character sheets, but you wouldn't be able to increase your
                  > level in any class that you didn't have the lst files for.
                  >
                  > I understand that some of it would be a lot of work, however, right
                  > now as it stands, you cannot take multiple toughness feats, or
                  equip
                  > 2 of the same weapons. As well, taking equipment is very difficult
                  > right now, at the very least, this needs an "Add" button, so you
                  > could select an item and then click the add button to add 1.
                  >
                  > I hope this helps slightly, you know I've been around a while
                  trying
                  > to make PCGen better, as I believe it can truly be THE best
                  character
                  > generator for D20.

                  I'm certainly glad to hear your suggestions. PCGen wouldn't have
                  gotten nearly this far if I'd insisted on only using my own ideas -
                  many people have come up with absolutely fantastic ideas and have
                  made coding it a lot of fun. I think that part of what makes PCGen
                  special is that there's such a strong community effort behind it.
                  Maybe by the time that GenCon rolls around we'll be up-to-date in
                  terms of supporting all material that's been released by that time.
                  That's pretty aggresive, but it's certainly worth a shot. :)

                  -Bryan

                • sorrow@talk21.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 4, 2001
                    *looks at Bryan's comments on V2.0*

                    Oooooh. Every time someone mentions the new version, it sounds
                    better ;)

                    Can't wait to see this.
                  • Damian
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 4, 2001
                      Lots of stuff below.

                      v     Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult,

                      Erin

                      > Since PCGen was being partially rewritten anyways, I figured that I
                      > would give a couple suggestions on features that would make PCGen
                      the
                      > best program it can be.

                      Hey - I'm always open to ideas! :)

                      > I finally convinced a programmer friend of mine to try PCGen to
                      > generate characters, he liked the Master Tools demo for that.  He
                      > thinks that this program has so much potential but there are a
                      couple
                      > things that need to be changed.  He says they would be fairly easy
                      > repair and said he might be willing to help should you have
                      questions
                      > as to how to implement these features.  What we see as a couple
                      major
                      > flaws of the program that are limiting its effectiveness are as
                      > follows:
                      >
                      > 1. Feats need to have a screen set up to drag "available feats"
                      over
                      > to a "chosen feats" section.  This will allow you to take any feats
                      > more than once, unlike the current system.  Each feat will need a
                      > descriptor for whether or not it allows mulitple or not.
                      >
                      > It also allows you to easily see which feats you currently have as
                      > well as easily take things like "Weapon Focus: longsword"
                      and "Weapon
                      > Focus: short sword".

                      The feats tab looks very different - most tabs (feats included) are
                      dominated by a table displaying all the relevant info.  For feats
                      this means whether or not you qualify for it, it's name, how you have
                      it (virtual, no, yes), any pre-requisites, it's description and
                      source file.  The options (virtual, yes, no) is actually a button,
                      and by clicking on the button you're selecting/de-selecting the feat
                      (any choices related to it are then presented).  You can sort by any
                      column in the table (same for all tables in PCGen except for the
                      stats table) and you can even filter out which feats are displayed.
                      Our API will be open, so your friend would be able to construct his
                      own interface if he wanted to.  A largely drag-and-drop type
                      interface would certainly be a good choice, but I like the amount of
                      info you can provide in a table.  It also gives you more sorting
                      options than you'd have in a drag-n-drop solution. Just comes down to
                      preferences.

                      I like the table method too.  I want LOTS of info in my generator.  that's part of the problem i had with the one that came with the Players Handbook.

> [...]

                      > 0.5 if it is cross class.  It would also ask you for the
                      > specialization when you first move it over.  For instance, if you
                      > drag "History" over, it would come up with a list of choices for
                      > specialization like "local" or "The Dales" or "Waterdeep" or
                      > something.

                      I take it you like drag-n-drop? :)  My preference is definitely on
                      the table side.  Technically everyone has all skills (except
                      exclusive ones) because ranks are really just modifiers, whereas drag-
                      n-drop would indicate that you don't have the skill at all unless you
                      allocate at least one skill-point to it.  I like the table
                      presentation because I can display in one column your total,
                      modifiers, ranks and whatnot and you can sort on any of them.  You
                      can also use a filter to filter on just class-skills, cross-class
                      skills, exclusive or untrained. I think you'll like it. :)

                      Are we going to have pop up text fields for nonstandard specializations?  Stuff that's not in the books?

                      > 4. The amount of gold you have left after you purchase your
                      equipment
                      > should print somewhere on the character sheets, it doesn't yet.
                      You
                      > have to manually enter it into the money section

                      As ROG mentioned - this is a charactersheet issue.  The GOLD token
                      does this, but the wealth issue is about to get a face-lift
                      afterwhich time ROG will add those tokens to his charactersheet.

                      > 5. I would like to request the ability to add a bonus to all skills
                      > based off of one attribute like "+2 to all charisma based skills".
                      > don't know if you can already do this, however, right now the
                      circlet
                      > of persuasion is listed as +2 to charisma instead of +2 to all
                      > charisma based skills.

                      Ah - then it should really be +4 to charisma to give a +2 mod.

                      well, +4 to Charisma for purposes of skills.

                      > When I say "drag" in these examples, I believe something like the
                      > current spell system, where you click on something then click a
                      > button to add it would work too.

                      Our drag-n-drop method for equipping, when completed, will look a lot
                      like a file brower. You'll see objects displayed in a hierarchy, with
                      containers displayed like a directory.  In java this is called a
                      JTree - so you can actually click on the object and drag it over the
                      container you want to put it in.

                      Going the rout of the old Core Rules stuff, eh?  cool, i liked how that worked, and is what i was going to suggest anyway (or did suggest, my minds a little glitchy right now).  Don't forget to allow containers within containers, and you COULD give them a HOME container, for stuff they want to HAVE, but don't carry with them.

                      > I believe this system would require more information to be stored
                      in
                      > the character save files themselves.  If you are already storing
                      more
                      > information in the character sheets, would it be possible to store
                      > information like the stats on all your weapons, spells, abilities
                      of
                      > your current levels of classes, etc. on your character save file so
                      > you could load it in any copy of PCGen without that copy having the
                      > appropriate lst files so you could still view your character and
                      > create character sheets, but you wouldn't be able to increase your
                      > level in any class that you didn't have the lst files for.
                      >
                      > I understand that some of it would be a lot of work, however, right
                      > now as it stands, you cannot take multiple toughness feats, or
                      equip
                      > 2 of the same weapons.  As well, taking equipment is very difficult
                      > right now, at the very least, this needs an "Add" button, so you
                      > could select an item and then click the add button to add 1.
                      >
                      > I hope this helps slightly, you know I've been around a while
                      trying
                      > to make PCGen better, as I believe it can truly be THE best
                      character
                      > generator for D20.

                      I'm certainly glad to hear your suggestions.  PCGen wouldn't have
                      gotten nearly this far if I'd insisted on only using my own ideas -
                      many people have come up with absolutely fantastic ideas and have
                      made coding it a lot of fun.  I think that part of what makes PCGen
                      special is that there's such a strong community effort behind it.
                      Maybe by the time that GenCon rolls around we'll be up-to-date in
                      terms of supporting all material that's been released by that time.
                      That's pretty aggresive, but it's certainly worth a shot. :)

                      Grrrrrr. still pissed that i'm not going to be able to go this year.  I'm already savign up for next year.

                    • mocha@mcs.net
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 4, 2001
                        --- In pcgen@y..., "Damian" <westfam@a...> wrote:
                        > Lots of stuff below.
                        >
                        > v Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult,
                        >
                        > Erin

                        I don't follow your question... I remember discussing a feature
                        recently where we talked about adding text to any kind of object - is
                        that what you're referring to? That'll be in the feature request
                        list, but it won't be in 2.0.0. The new version will be quite like
                        PCGen 1.4 in terms of what it can handle - it's mostly a gui facelift
                        and the ability to run on non-Windows OSes that's driving the initial
                        release.

                        > > When I say "drag" in these examples, I believe something like
                        the
                        > > current spell system, where you click on something then click a
                        > > button to add it would work too.
                        >
                        > Our drag-n-drop method for equipping, when completed, will look a
                        lot
                        > like a file brower. You'll see objects displayed in a hierarchy,
                        with
                        > containers displayed like a directory. In java this is called a
                        > JTree - so you can actually click on the object and drag it over
                        the
                        > container you want to put it in.
                        >
                        > Going the rout of the old Core Rules stuff, eh? cool, i liked
                        how that
                        > worked, and is what i was going to suggest anyway (or did suggest,
                        my minds
                        > a little glitchy right now). Don't forget to allow containers
                        within
                        > containers, and you COULD give them a HOME container, for stuff
                        they want to
                        > HAVE, but don't carry with them.

                        I've never seen the Core Rules, but it's possible the guy who started
                        that work for me got his inspiration from there. I think he wants to
                        treat everything (and throw in body parts as well...) as containers.
                        That way you can put daggers in your cloak, or on your left ankle, or
                        whatever. Containers will definitely be allowed to be nested - but I
                        think we're planning on having it show what they're carrying and how
                        they're carrying it. If we let you pick different modes (say you
                        take items a-g while in a dungeon crawl, but only items a, d & e
                        while in town. That would be messy to determine your encumberance
                        because I wouldn't know where you were and that would impact your
                        speed et al).

                        > I'm certainly glad to hear your suggestions. PCGen wouldn't have
                        > gotten nearly this far if I'd insisted on only using my own
                        ideas -
                        > many people have come up with absolutely fantastic ideas and have
                        > made coding it a lot of fun. I think that part of what makes
                        PCGen
                        > special is that there's such a strong community effort behind it.
                        > Maybe by the time that GenCon rolls around we'll be up-to-date in
                        > terms of supporting all material that's been released by that
                        time.
                        > That's pretty aggresive, but it's certainly worth a shot. :)
                        >
                        > Grrrrrr. still pissed that i'm not going to be able to go this
                        year. I'm
                        > already savign up for next year.

                        I'm hoping to go to GenCon. I've never gone before and this is its
                        last year in Milwaukee. I'd like to go once just to see what the hub-
                        bub is all about. I joke about making a T-Shirt about PCGen just to
                        see if anyone knows what I'm talking about while I there.... ;)

                        -Bryan

                        > v Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult,
                        >
                        > Erin
                        >

                        > -Bryan
                        >

                        > > Chris Wachal
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                        >
                        > Yahoo! Website Services- Click Here!

                        Service.
                      • Damian
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 4, 2001

                          I don't follow your question... I remember discussing a feature
                          recently where we talked about adding text to any kind of object - is
                          that what you're referring to?  That'll be in the feature request
                          list, but it won't be in 2.0.0.  The new version will be quite like
                          PCGen 1.4 in terms of what it can handle - it's mostly a gui facelift
                          and the ability to run on non-Windows OSes that's driving the initial
                          release.

                          For instanc you could select Craft, and put "automobile" as the type.

                          >   >
                          >   >
                          When I say "drag" in these examples, I believe something like
                          the
                          >   > current spell system, where you click on
                          something then click a
                          >   > button to add it would work
                          too.

                          >   Our drag-n-drop method for equipping, when
                          completed, will look a
                          lot
                          >   like a file brower. You'll
                          see objects displayed in a hierarchy,
                          with
                          >   containers
                          displayed like a directory.  In java this is called a

                          JTree - so you can actually click on the object and drag it over
                          the
                          >   container you want to put it in.
                          >
                          >   Going the rout of the old Core Rules stuff, eh?  cool,
                          i liked
                          how that
                          > worked, and is what i was going to suggest anyway
                          (or did suggest,
                          my minds
                          > a little glitchy right now).  Don't
                          forget to allow containers
                          within
                          > containers, and you COULD give
                          them a HOME container, for stuff
                          they want to
                          > HAVE, but don't carry
                          with them.

                          I've never seen the Core Rules, but it's possible the guy who started
                          that work for me got his inspiration from there.  I think he wants to
                          treat everything (and throw in body parts as well...) as containers.
                          That way you can put daggers in your cloak, or on your left ankle, or
                          whatever. Containers will definitely be allowed to be nested - but I
                          think we're planning on having it show what they're carrying and how
                          they're carrying it.  If we let you pick different modes (say you
                          take items a-g while in a dungeon crawl, but only items a, d & e
                          while in town.  That would be messy to determine your encumberance
                          because I wouldn't know where you were and that would impact your
                          speed et al).

                          >   I'm certainly glad to hear your
                          suggestions.  PCGen wouldn't have
                          >   gotten nearly this
                          far if I'd insisted on only using my own
                          ideas -
                          >   many
                          people have come up with absolutely fantastic ideas and have

                          made coding it a lot of fun.  I think that part of what makes
                          PCGen
                          >   special is that there's such a strong community
                          effort behind it.
                          >   Maybe by the time that GenCon rolls around
                          we'll be up-to-date in
                          >   terms of supporting all material
                          that's been released by that
                          time.
                          >   That's pretty
                          aggresive, but it's certainly worth a shot. :)

                          Grrrrrr. still pissed that i'm not going to be able to go this
                          year.  I'm
                          > already savign up for next year.

                          I'm hoping to go to GenCon.  I've never gone before and this is its
                          last year in Milwaukee.  I'd like to go once just to see what the hub-
                          bub is all about.  I joke about making a T-Shirt about PCGen just to
                          see if anyone knows what I'm talking about while I there.... ;)

                          -Bryan
                           2002 is the last year.  i checked the wizards.com schedule.  http://www.wizards.com/gencon/2001/future_gencons.asp
                        • Damian
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 4, 2001

                            v     Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult,

                            Erin

                            I don't follow your question... I remember discussing a feature
                            recently where we talked about adding text to any kind of object - is
                            that what you're referring to?  That'll be in the feature request
                            list, but it won't be in 2.0.0.  The new version will be quite like
                            PCGen 1.4 in terms of what it can handle - it's mostly a gui facelift
                            and the ability to run on non-Windows OSes that's driving the initial
                            release.

                            For instanc you could select Craft, and put "automobile" as the type.

                            That is, in addition to the other choices.  you know, have a "blank" choice that will let you type in it, or you can use the pull down.  better explanaion?
                          • maggard@aztec.asu.edu
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 4, 2001
                              A seperate area for Wealth would allow the gems, precious metals,
                              etc. to be in one area. And equipment becomes the tools to do your
                              job.

                            • mocha@mcs.net
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 6, 2001
                                I see... I think someone already mentioned that this would cause
                                potential problems for Feats like Skill Focus. I am planning on
                                putting in PCGen the ability to 'collapse' skills. This has been a
                                long-standing request... basically some skills are related and you
                                don't necessarily always want to see all of them listed. The Filters
                                in PCGen 2.0 get you part of the way since you can pick if you want
                                to see Class skills, Cross-Class, Untrained or Exclusive. But to
                                collapse all the Knowledge skills into one row is also on the board.
                                It won't make the initial release - but you'll see the disabled
                                checkbox which will make it happen at some point... If you really
                                want to select a Knowledge Skill you can uncollapse the skill view,
                                if you want to collapse the hundred billion Knowledge, Craft and
                                Profession skills, just click on the checkbox. It should make
                                naviagating the skill list a lot easier.

                                -Bryan

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 6, 2001
                                  I think what I'll do is keep wealth (like coins, gems, etc.) in the
                                  equipment list to keep purchasing/selling simple. When you produce a
                                  character sheet I'll strip those items out of the equipment list and
                                  put them in a separate list with a new token to output them. When
                                  the charactersheet is done I'll put them back in the equipment list.
                                  I might be able to get this done before the release of 2.0... but I'm
                                  not sure.

                                  -Bryan

                                • maggard@aztec.asu.edu
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 6, 2001
                                    Any chance of taking this one step further so you can collaps
                                    different levels of each skills?
                                    e.g.
                                    + Craft Skills
                                    - Knowledge Skills
                                    + A - D
                                    + E - H
                                    + I - L
                                    + M - p
                                    + Q - T
                                    + U - Z
                                    + Profession Skills

                                    --- In pcgen@y..., mocha@m... wrote:
                                    > I see... I think someone already mentioned that this would cause
                                    > potential problems for Feats like Skill Focus. I am planning on
                                    > putting in PCGen the ability to 'collapse' skills. This has been a
                                    > long-standing request... basically some skills are related and you
                                    > don't necessarily always want to see all of them listed. The
                                    Filters
                                    > in PCGen 2.0 get you part of the way since you can pick if you want
                                    > to see Class skills, Cross-Class, Untrained or Exclusive. But to
                                    > collapse all the Knowledge skills into one row is also on the
                                    board.
                                    > It won't make the initial release - but you'll see the disabled
                                    > checkbox which will make it happen at some point... If you really
                                    > want to select a Knowledge Skill you can uncollapse the skill view,
                                    > if you want to collapse the hundred billion Knowledge, Craft and
                                    > Profession skills, just click on the checkbox. It should make
                                    > naviagating the skill list a lot easier.
                                    >
                                    > -Bryan
                                  • Chris Wachal
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 6, 2001
                                      > The feats tab looks very different - most tabs (feats included) are
                                      > dominated by a table displaying all the relevant info. For feats
                                      > this means whether or not you qualify for it, it's name, how you
                                      have
                                      > it (virtual, no, yes), any pre-requisites, it's description and
                                      > source file. The options (virtual, yes, no) is actually a button,
                                      > and by clicking on the button you're selecting/de-selecting the
                                      feat
                                      > (any choices related to it are then presented). You can sort by
                                      any
                                      > column in the table (same for all tables in PCGen except for the
                                      > stats table) and you can even filter out which feats are
                                      displayed.
                                      > Our API will be open, so your friend would be able to construct his
                                      > own interface if he wanted to. A largely drag-and-drop type
                                      > interface would certainly be a good choice, but I like the amount
                                      of
                                      > info you can provide in a table. It also gives you more sorting
                                      > options than you'd have in a drag-n-drop solution. Just comes down
                                      > preferences.

                                      I agree, however, I like to be able to see the feats I currently have
                                      in a quick list so that I can see "I've spend 2 feats on toughness, I
                                      already have power attack, hmm...I guess I could take cleave" and
                                      then search for the feat in the list.

                                      Also, being able to quickly bypass feats that I can not take would be
                                      handy, either being able to filter them out or make them greyed out,
                                      it is not easy to see the * beside it.

                                      > All tables (minus one) will be sortable by every column, so that
                                      > request is already handled.:) I have big plans on how to change
                                      the
                                      > equipping functionality, but we just didn't have time to get that
                                      in
                                      > this initial release. The way I want to handle it is via a drag-n-
                                      > drop type interface which is very intuitive - I also plan on
                                      handling
                                      > putting stuff in containers all in the same interface... so we'll
                                      get
                                      > there, just not in 2.0.0 (maybe 2.0.1, but we'll see...) :)

                                      I'm glad to hear this. This should all work out good. I do think
                                      that the feature of Master Tools to set up "Sets" of equipment for
                                      things like "what are my pluses with 2 weapons", "what about with a
                                      weapon and a shield?".

                                      If the equipment section isn't changing in the next version, could
                                      you at least add a button to add one to the currently selected
                                      equipment? Also, supporting shield proficiencies would be handy.

                                      > I take it you like drag-n-drop? :) My preference is definitely on
                                      > the table side. Technically everyone has all skills (except
                                      > exclusive ones) because ranks are really just modifiers, whereas
                                      drag-
                                      > n-drop would indicate that you don't have the skill at all unless
                                      you
                                      > allocate at least one skill-point to it. I like the table
                                      > presentation because I can display in one column your total,
                                      > modifiers, ranks and whatnot and you can sort on any of them. You
                                      > can also use a filter to filter on just class-skills, cross-class
                                      > skills, exclusive or untrained. I think you'll like it. :)

                                      That is technically incorrect. All players have all the untrained
                                      skills, however that is less than half the list. You need to have at
                                      least 1 rank in a trained skill to be able to use that skill.

                                      Having a list of available skills and ones you have access to would
                                      be handy. Maybe start the skill list of skills you already have with
                                      all of the untrained skills. This way newbies can see "Oh, I already
                                      have swim at 4 total because I have an 18 strength, but I can't play
                                      an instrument yet." I think for newbies, it helps to be able to
                                      see "these are all the skills I can use, and these are the ones I
                                      can't".

                                      For us who play DND a lot, it is easy to just say "I know that any
                                      skill that has a cost of 1.0 is a class skill and anyone with a cost
                                      of 2.0 is a cross classed skill." Being able to filter the skill
                                      list to "untrained, trained, class skills, cross-class skills,
                                      exclusive, and all" would be handy.

                                      Also, I want to make a request for my friend. He apparently hates
                                      clicking an add button, he wants to be able to enter the number of
                                      ranks in a field for a skill.

                                      > As ROG mentioned - this is a charactersheet issue. The GOLD token
                                      > does this, but the wealth issue is about to get a face-lift
                                      > afterwhich time ROG will add those tokens to his charactersheet.

                                      I now know about the gold issue. I thought there might have been the
                                      capability to put them on the character sheet. I just thought it
                                      kind of strange that the program had that capability and it didn't
                                      print it.

                                      > > 5. I would like to request the ability to add a bonus to all
                                      skills
                                      > > based off of one attribute like "+2 to all charisma based
                                      skills".
                                      > > don't know if you can already do this, however, right now the
                                      > circlet
                                      > > of persuasion is listed as +2 to charisma instead of +2 to all
                                      > > charisma based skills.
                                      >
                                      > Ah - then it should really be +4 to charisma to give a +2 mod.

                                      That doesn't work correctly, however. A +4 charisma does add the
                                      correct modifier to all your skills, however it also adds +2 to your
                                      spell DCs if you are a sorcerer and your saves if you are a paladin.
                                      The circlet isn't supposed to do that.

                                      Right now, I have made a work around on my system by changing the
                                      circlet of persuasion to add plus 2 to every charisma based skill
                                      individually, however if anyone adds another charisma based skill in
                                      a LST file, the circlet would not add to that.

                                      A function to do something like "Add 2 to all skills based off of any
                                      one stat" would be handy.

                                      > I'm certainly glad to hear your suggestions. PCGen wouldn't have
                                      > gotten nearly this far if I'd insisted on only using my own ideas -
                                      > many people have come up with absolutely fantastic ideas and have
                                      > made coding it a lot of fun. I think that part of what makes PCGen
                                      > special is that there's such a strong community effort behind it.
                                      > Maybe by the time that GenCon rolls around we'll be up-to-date in
                                      > terms of supporting all material that's been released by that
                                      time.
                                      > That's pretty aggresive, but it's certainly worth a shot. :)
                                      >
                                      > -Bryan

                                      No problem, I like trying to help. I take no offense at any
                                      criticism of my comments either, they may not be the best way to do
                                      things, but I think they will help.

                                      Chris Wachal
                                    • nezzir@home.com
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jun 7, 2001
                                        Someone mentioned there was a box to check that would include all skills on
                                        the html page. Right now it just shows the ones I have put points in...
                                      • mocha@mcs.net
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
                                          In the main tab where you select options there's a checkbox for
                                          Include Untrained Skills. If you click on this *BEFORE* you import
                                          or create a new character, all the untrained skills will be added to
                                          your character. In PCGen 2.0.0 this has been expanded slightly to a
                                          selection box where you can pick None (meaning no extra skills),
                                          Untrained (like clicking on this checkbox) and All (you get
                                          everything, trained & exclusive...)

                                          -Bryan

                                          --- In pcgen@y..., "nezzir@h..." <nezzir@h...> wrote:
                                          > Someone mentioned there was a box to check that would include all
                                          skills on
                                          > the html page. Right now it just shows the ones I have put points
                                          in...
                                        • Gary
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
                                            There's also items like the luck stone and an ioun stone that give you
                                            a +1 to stat checks or a +1 to ALL skill checks. We'd rather not have
                                            to specify each skill on those items. I'm sure more will crop up.

                                            --- In pcgen@y..., "House Gryphon" <gryps@b...> wrote:
> [...]
                                            Potion of

                                          • mocha@mcs.net
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
                                              I think BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1 would work for this. At least I think it
                                              ought to... let me know if it doesn't!

                                              -Bryan

                                            • john.sussenberger@libertymutual.com
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
                                                Even more reason to have this coded :)

                                                Then I can make cool magic items that increase your Charisma skillz!!

                                              • mocha@mcs.net
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jun 8, 2001
                                                  Hm - something like BONUS:SKILL|CHA|1 would be easy to do - what's
                                                  the likelihood of a skill named STR,DEX,CON,INT,WIS or CHA?
                                                  That would take almost a whole line of code to implement...

                                                  -Bryan

                                                  --- In pcgen@y..., john.sussenberger@l... wrote:
                                                  > Even more reason to have this coded :)
                                                  >
                                                  > Then I can make cool magic items that increase your Charisma
                                                  skillz!!

                                                  mpt=99202
                                                  > 3268> Check out great fares at Orbitz!
                                                  >
                                                  > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                                                  M=206662.1458837.3039162.908943/D=egroupmail
                                                  > /S=1700000001:N/A=682980/rand=413493671>

                                                  > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                                                • Gary
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jun 16, 2001
                                                    I tried this, and it didn't work. So I'm letting you know.

                                                    Ioun Stone (Pale green) TYPE:Magic Item.Wonderous Cost:20000
                                                    WT:0 BONUS:CHECKS|Fortitude,Willpower,Reflex|1
                                                    BONUS:WEAPON|TOHIT|1 BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Unarmed Attack|TOHIT|1
                                                    BONUS:SKILL|LIST|1

                                                    The description says it gives +1 bonus to attacks, saving throws and
                                                    skill checks.

                                                  • Brass Tilde
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jun 16, 2001

                                                      This bug has been entered at the SourceForge site as bug report #433808.

                                                      You may access the SourceForge bug tracking page at:
                                                      https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?group_id=25576&atid=384719

                                                    • House Gryphon
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Jun 23, 2001
                                                        From: "Chris Wachal" <cwachal@...>