Newbie

  • Kevyn
    Message 1 of 8 , May 31, 2001
      I am new to PCGen, but from what I have used, my hat is off to you.
      Great Job! Our entire group uses it now and love it.

      I have one question, How do you add a magical weapon in with
      abilities instead of + values? A Holy Sword which does a extra 2d8 to
      evil creatures or the like, comes to mind. I am just learning to
      program and I am a old dog. So new tricks come slow.

      Thanks

      Draco
    • mocha@mcs.net
      Message 2 of 8 , May 31, 2001
        That kind of functionality isn't handled yet (will be....) - so what
        I would suggest is to have the item in your equipment (is there a
        Holy Avenger in the magic files you have?) and then in the Misc. tab
        you can type in the details about it in the Magic Items box.
        Remember not to use any : (colons) in your descriptions anywhere in
        any of the text fields in PCGen since that causes the importer untold
        caniptions. :) (that will be fixed too at some point...)

        Oh - and welcome aboard!

        -Bryan

        --- In pcgen@y..., "Kevyn" <draco77@y...> wrote:
        > I am new to PCGen, but from what I have used, my hat is off to
        you.
        > Great Job! Our entire group uses it now and love it.
        >
        > I have one question, How do you add a magical weapon in with
        > abilities instead of + values? A Holy Sword which does a extra 2d8
        > evil creatures or the like, comes to mind. I am just learning to
        > program and I am a old dog. So new tricks come slow.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Draco
      • Kevyn
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1 4:35 AM
          Thanks,
          I will put them in the misc field

          Thanks again for all your work

          Draco

          --- In pcgen@y..., mocha@m... wrote:
          > That kind of functionality isn't handled yet (will be....) - so
          what
          > I would suggest is to have the item in your equipment (is there a
          > Holy Avenger in the magic files you have?) and then in the Misc.
          tab
          > you can type in the details about it in the Magic Items box.
          > Remember not to use any : (colons) in your descriptions anywhere in
          > any of the text fields in PCGen since that causes the importer
          untold
          > caniptions. :) (that will be fixed too at some point...)
          >

          > Oh - and welcome aboard!
          >
          > -Bryan
          >
          > --- In pcgen@y..., "Kevyn" <draco77@y...> wrote:
          > > I am new to PCGen, but from what I have used, my hat is off to
          > you.
          > > Great Job! Our entire group uses it now and love it.
          > >
          > > I have one question, How do you add a magical weapon in with
          > > abilities instead of + values? A Holy Sword which does a extra
          2d8
          > > evil creatures or the like, comes to mind. I am just learning to
          > > program and I am a old dog. So new tricks come slow.
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Draco
        • Pat Estes
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 15 5:52 PM
            Hello all,

            I have a bunch of newbie questions.

            When I went to http://rpg.plambert.net/pcgen/current/_docs to get the documents about the application I received a 404 error. I am not sure where to look for some of my answers. Most of all I do not want to get flamed for being a noob :)

            The first day's email on this list seems remarkably... civil and mature. It is refreshing.

            I am especialy interested in using this application for my currently-nonexistant-but-have-high-hopes Judge Dredd campaign. There seem to be no data files for this Mongoose release so I must make my own. How do I go about learning how to put in the requisite information? Is this a LST thing?

            Thank you, I will try to answer most of my own questions if you point me at the documentation, especialy the beginner docs.

            Pat

          • Eddy Anthony
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 15 6:56 PM
              Hi Pat
              Plambert's site seems to be down at the moment but the link points to
              documentation which can also be found with the program in a folder called
              docs in the PCGen folder. You will find most of the info you need to get
              started therein. I don't think anyone's attempted Judge Dredd and weather or
              not it can be included in PCGen is dependant on weather or not the material
              has been released under the Open Game License. If it has we can do it, if
              not we can't. Of coarse that will not stop you from coding it for your own
              use. In addition to the docs and this group there is another yahoo group,
              PCGenListFileHelp, where you can get how-to advice on coding LST files. LST,
              by the way, referes to the data code that has evolved with PCGen. There is a
              project underway to convert PCGen to use an XML format for its data so LST
              may soon be a lost art.

              Good luck!
              --
              ~ Eddy
              ~ Doc Chimp, Data Tamarin

              Pat Estes scribed:

              > Hello all,
              >
              > I have a bunch of newbie questions.
              >
              > When I went to http://rpg.plambert.net/pcgen/current/_docs to get the
              > documents about the application I received a 404 error. I am not sure where
              > to look for some of my answers. Most of all I do not want to get flamed for
              > being a noob :)
              >
              > The first day's email on this list seems remarkably... civil and mature. It
              > is refreshing.
              >
              > I am especialy interested in using this application for my
              > currently-nonexistant-but-have-high-hopes Judge Dredd campaign. There seem to
              > be no data files for this Mongoose release so I must make my own. How do I go
              > about learning how to put in the requisite information? Is this a LST thing?
              >
              > Thank you, I will try to answer most of my own questions if you point me at
              > the documentation, especialy the beginner docs.
              >
              > Pat
            • Pat Estes
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 15 7:23 PM
                Hi Eddy, thanks for the response.

                Is there an estimate on the XML format taking off?

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 15 7:44 PM
                  Pat Estes scribed:

                  > Hi Eddy, thanks for the response.
                  >
                  > Is there an estimate on the XML format taking off?

                  That's a good question but one I can't answer. One thing to bare in mind is
                  the volunteer nature of this project. Sometimes things can be slow as folks
                  free time my be limited. It will be done in due time.
                  --
                  ~ Eddy
                  ~ Doc Chimp, Data Tamarin
                  ~ PCGen BoD Documentation Second
                • Tir Gwaith
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 15 11:36 PM
                    Pat,

                    I've been working with Doug on the XML schema(?) and I can say we have fairly well set down skills and spells objects. What we haven't finalized that is a big portion is how exactly to do BONUS and PRExxx type stuff, an how best to do the different chooser functions.

                    So don't expect that to really happen very soon, but it is going to happen here in the medium range... (How was that for a vague answer?)

                    Tir Gwaith
                    LST Chimp