PCGen 2.0.0 update

  • mocha@mcs.net
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31 8:18 AM
      Most of the gui is complete - just a few tabs have a few minor issues. The critical type bugs are also being addressed, so it looks like we're on schedule for a release on Friday, June 15th. Documentation is being put together and it includes - gasp! - screen shots! PCGen 2.0.0 will basically replace PCGen.exe, it will use the exact same lst files. It's built using JDK 1.3, so it should run on any OS which can run java (we're testing it on Windows and Linux). Currently the app is about 298k compared to PCGen.exe which is about 290k. I've had a great group of guys helping me out - some have contributed directly to this release and others have been more focused on looking at converting all the lst/pcg files to xml (which won't happen for a while yet). Here's a run down of some changes:

      Campaigns
      You can load campaigns one at a time (making the rankings moot, though you can still load them all at once in which case the rankings do matter)

      These have been put in their own tab to give them more room. I expect more and more options to be added as time goes on.

      Combat
      This is the only tab in the current version which will not make the initial cut. It has been a victim of de-scoping, but will be added shortly afterwards.

      Stats
      Now you can see more info about all the races, and you can sort on all the columns as well. The file from which the race came is also listed.

      Classes
      Just like all the other tabs, you can see a lot more info about the classes - including from which file it came. There's also a filter so you can limit which classes are displayed.

      Abilities
      This resembles current PCGen functionality.

      Skills
      Not much of a change here except there's a filter here so you can limit the number of skills displayed.

      Feats
      You see more info about the feats and, like everything else, you can see which file it came from.

      Domains
      You see in one table lots of info about the deities, and in another table info about the domains you've chosen. Both include source file columns.

      Spells
      You've already seen a screen shot for this... it's pretty much like the current Spells tab except now a lot more info is provided on the listed spells.

      Misc.
      Not much change here, except there's no more Companions slot as that has been broken out into its own tab - unfortunately that tab won't be completed for the initial release.

      Profile
      Pretty much the same as current PCGen.

      Traits
      This is also equivalent to current PCGen.

      Equipment
      This is also the same as current PCGen except that typing in a quantity is much faster. I had hoped to have another tab ready for the release where you could equip your character and choose combinations of weapons, but that just wasn't going to be ready in time.

      Preview
      This replaces the current PCSheet button, except you can see what the character would look like in the tab itself without having to use an external browser. This seems to be pretty picky about the html it can display.

      I'm pretty eager to let you all see what we've cooked up, and I'm quite pleased with my decision to go open source. I couldn't have gotten this done so quickly without the superb help I've had. Everyone is working on this in their free-time, which for most of us is minimal at most. I'm sure you can figure out who some of my fellow code monkeys have been based on comments they've made here - I'll release a more formal list of everyone involved closer to the release date. I'd like to thank all of you for your continued interest in PCGen. It never would have gotten to this point if there weren't so many people who got involved to push me (and PCGen) along.

      -Bryan
    • Charlie
      Message 2 of 2 , May 31 2:31 PM
        Mucho thanks for the update Bryan and I am looking forward to the new program. I first heard about it from EN site and then later joined the list here. I have had a blast working with it and creating new characters for pbem games., as it allows you to have all the info at your fingertips, plus a wide variety of character to use for display. Thanks folks for all the hard and rewarding work you have done.

        Charlie