Kalamar Problem

  • maggard@aztec.asu.edu
    Message 1 of 30 , May 29, 2001
      Can't seem to get the following to work:
      Write Alphabet None NONE N N CHOOSE:Language
      (kokalphabet.lst)

      I want to use a lst file instead of re-typing the list of languages...
    • mocha@mcs.net
      Message 2 of 30 , May 30, 2001
        Well - that isn't supported yet... ;)
        I remember discussing this as a possibility - I think I had it down
        as FILE=kokalphabet.lst - but it hasn't been coded yet. At the moment
        you're stuck with listing everything you want listed as a choice, and
        it is filtered by the LANGUAGE: tag selections in your loaded
        campaigns. This whole language area needs a major upgrade to handle a
        bunch of related requests. It will happen - gotta get this new
        release out the door first and then we can get back on the fast track
        handling all these requests that have been crying out for
        attention. :)

        -Bryan

        --- In pcgen@y..., maggard@a... wrote:
        > Can't seem to get the following to work:
        > Write Alphabet None NONE N N
        CHOOSE:Language

        Message 3 of 30 , May 30, 2001
          Alright,

          What are the limitations to the LANGUAGE list and CHOOSE: Language(
          tag? I've learned it does not like parenthesis. What can you use
          and not use as seperators for languages:

          e.g.
          Brandobian Ancient
          Brandobian Modern

          Are spaces legal? Hyphens?
        • maggard@aztec.asu.edu
          Message 4 of 30 , May 30, 2001
            Alright, so ALPHABET will not work. Darn. Was hoping I could just
            load the list in the loaded campaign. I'll combine the two files
            into one and see what happens.

            Is there anyway to use the CHOOSE tag and list the options? If so
            what is the correct format?

          • mocha@mcs.net
            Message 5 of 30 , May 31, 2001
              Parentheses, except for the start and end of the list, are right out. So too are commas, except for between languages. Everything else is legal but I generally don't like to use the letter that comes after y. ;P And never say the word "Nih!" - oh no, I just said it! Aaaaahhhhh!

              As for limitations - the list is filtered by the LANGUAGE: lists you have in your loaded campaigns (the LANGUAGE: tag in the .pcc files). If you don't have one I'm pretty sure this list is generated as a combination of everything in the LANGAUTO: and LANGBONUS: tags in the race and class files you've loaded. This functionality has changed a few times so I forget where I left it, and I plan on completely revamping it again as discussed in some recent threads, so I'm sure I'll be even more confused then.... :)

              -Bryan

            • mocha@mcs.net
              Message 6 of 30 , May 31, 2001
                Right now for Skills the CHOOSE:Language is the only option that will work. At this moment that means if you have separate written languages and spoken languages that you'd have to combine the two lists into one big list in the LANGUAGE: tag in your campaign pcc file. Then in the Speak Languages skill you would have CHOOSE:Language(list of spoken languages) and in Write Alphabet you would have CHOOSE:Language(list of written languages). At least this should work theoretically - I haven't actually tried it. Good luck and may the force be with you. :)

                -Bryan

              • maggard@aztec.asu.edu
                Message 7 of 30 , May 31, 2001
                  Definitely doing something wrong. Here is the relavent lines
                  (hopefully)

                  from the KoK.lst
                  LANGUAGE:Abyssal,Aquan,Auran,Brandobian Ancient,Brandobian
                  Modern,Celestial,Dejy,Draconic,Druidic,Dwarven,Elven High,Elven
                  Low,Fhokki,Giant,Gnoll,Gnomish,Goblin,Halfling,Hobgoblin
                  Commoner,Hobgoblin Military,Hobgoblin
                  Royalty,Ignan,Infernal,Kalamaran Ancient,Kalamaran High,Kalamaran
                  Low,Merchant's
                  Tongue,Orc,Reanaarese,Svimohzish,Sylvan,Terran,Undercommon,Writing-
                  Brandobian Ancient Alphabet,Writing-Brandobian Modern
                  Alphabet,Writing-Celestial Alphabet,Writing-Draconic Alphabet,Writing-
                  Druidic Alphabet,Writing-Dwarven Alphabet,Writing-Elven High
                  Runes,Writing-Elven Low Runes,Writing-Fhokki Alphabet,Writing-
                  Hobgoblin Alphabet,Writing-Infernal Alphabet,Writing-Kalamaran
                  Ancient Alphabet,Writing-Kalamaran Modern Alphabet,Writing-Merchant
                  Standard Numerals Ahznomahni,Writing-Reanaarian Alphabet,Writing-
                  Svimohzish Alphabet

                  from the KoKSkill.lst
                  Speak Languages None NONE N N CHOOSE:Language
[...]

                  I tried using brackets for entries such as Low, High. Removed them
                  in the latest attempt just in case. I also tried removing reducing
                  both LANGUAGE: and Speak Language CHOOSE tag to
                  Abyssal,Aquan,Auran,Brandobian,Celestial,Dejy,Draconic,Druidic,Dwarven
                  ,Elven,Fhokki,Giant,Gnoll,Gnomish,Goblin,Halfling,Hobgoblin,Ignan,Infe
                  rnal,Kalamaran,Merchant's,Orc,Reanaarese,Svimohzish,Sylvan,Terran,Unde
                  rcommon

                  Still no luck. Can some one attempt to use these langauge lists in
                  your campaign?

                • maggard@aztec.asu.edu
                  Message 8 of 30 , May 31, 2001
                    I also moved from using a list file in the PCC just incase that
                    doesn't work. It use to be LANGUAGE:KoK\KoKLanguages.lst It sure
                    will be nice when the CHOOSE skill is available for Profession, Craft
                    and Knowledge skills also. This will shorten the skill list down a
                    bit....

                  • mocha@mcs.net
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 1, 2001
                      What you have looks like it should work. I'll try to carve out some
                      time to see what's going on - this would qualify as a bug since it's
                      supposed to work.

                      -Bryan

                      --- In pcgen@y..., maggard@a... wrote:
                      > Definitely doing something wrong. Here is the relavent lines
                      > (hopefully)
                      >
                      > from the KoK.lst
                      > LANGUAGE:Abyssal,Aquan,Auran,Brandobian Ancient,Brandobian
                      > Modern,Celestial,Dejy,Draconic,Druidic,Dwarven,Elven High,Elven
                      > Low,Fhokki,Giant,Gnoll,Gnomish,Goblin,Halfling,Hobgoblin
                      > Commoner,Hobgoblin Military,Hobgoblin
                      > Royalty,Ignan,Infernal,Kalamaran Ancient,Kalamaran High,Kalamaran
                      > Low,Merchant's
                      > Tongue,Orc,Reanaarese,Svimohzish,Sylvan,Terran,Undercommon,Writing-
                      > Brandobian Ancient Alphabet,Writing-Brandobian Modern
                      > Alphabet,Writing-Celestial Alphabet,Writing-Draconic
                      Alphabet,Writing-
                      > Druidic Alphabet,Writing-Dwarven Alphabet,Writing-Elven High
                      > Runes,Writing-Elven Low Runes,Writing-Fhokki Alphabet,Writing-
                      > Hobgoblin Alphabet,Writing-Infernal Alphabet,Writing-Kalamaran
                      > Ancient Alphabet,Writing-Kalamaran Modern Alphabet,Writing-Merchant
                      > Standard Numerals Ahznomahni,Writing-Reanaarian Alphabet,Writing-
                      > Svimohzish Alphabet
                      >
                      > from the KoKSkill.lst
                      > Speak Languages None NONE N N
                      CHOOSE:Language
                      > (Abyssal,Aquan,Auran,Brandobian Ancient,Brandobian
                      > Modern,Celestial,Dejy,Draconic,Druidic,Dwarven,Elven High,Elven
                      > Low,Fhokki,Giant,Gnoll,Gnomish,Goblin,Halfling,Hobgoblin
                      > Commoner,Hobgoblin Military,Hobgoblin
                      > Royalty,Ignan,Infernal,Kalamaran Ancient,Kalamaran High,Kalamaran
                      > Low,Merchant's
                      > Tongue,Orc,Reanaarese,Svimohzish,Sylvan,Terran,Undercommon
                      >
                      > Write Alphabet None NONE N N
                      CHOOSE:Language
                      > (Writing-Brandobian Ancient Alphabet,Writing-Brandobian Modern
                      > Alphabet,Writing-Celestial Alphabet,Writing-Draconic
                      Alphabet,Writing-
                      > Druidic Alphabet,Writing-Dwarven Alphabet,Writing-Elven High
                      > Runes,Writing-Elven Low Runes,Writing-Fhokki Alphabet,Writing-
                      > Hobgoblin Alphabet,Writing-Infernal Alphabet,Writing-Kalamaran
                      > Ancient Alphabet,Writing-Kalamaran Modern Alphabet,Writing-Merchant
                      > Standard Numerals Ahznomahni,Writing-Reanaarian Alphabet,Writing-
                      > Svimohzish Alphabet
                      >
                      > I tried using brackets for entries such as Low, High. Removed them
                      > in the latest attempt just in case. I also tried removing reducing
                      > both LANGUAGE: and Speak Language CHOOSE tag to

                      Abyssal,Aquan,Auran,Brandobian,Celestial,Dejy,Draconic,Druidic,Dwarven
                      > ,Elven,Fhokki,Giant,Gnoll,Gnomish,Goblin,Halfling,Hobgoblin,Ignan,In
                      fe

                      rnal,Kalamaran,Merchant's,Orc,Reanaarese,Svimohzish,Sylvan,Terran,Unde
                      > rcommon
                      >
                      > Still no luck. Can some one attempt to use these langauge lists in
                      > your campaign?
                      >

                      > --- In pcgen@y..., mocha@m... wrote:
                      > > Parentheses, except for the start and end of the list, are right
                      > out. So too are commas, except for between languages. Everything
                      else
                      > is legal but I generally don't like to use the letter that comes
                      > after y. ;P And never say the word "Nih!" - oh no, I just said it!
                      > Aaaaahhhhh!
                      > >
                      > > As for limitations - the list is filtered by the LANGUAGE: lists
                      > you have in your loaded campaigns (the LANGUAGE: tag in the .pcc
                      > files). If you don't have one I'm pretty sure this list is
                      generated
                      > as a combination of everything in the LANGAUTO: and LANGBONUS: tags
                      > in the race and class files you've loaded. This functionality has
                      > changed a few times so I forget where I left it, and I plan on
                      > completely revamping it again as discussed in some recent threads,
                      so
                      > I'm sure I'll be even more confused then.... :)
                      > >
                      > > -Bryan
                    • arcady
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 2, 2001
                        The real problem here is that in Kalamar 'write alphabet' does not exist as
                        a skill.

                        You have a language, and an alphabet you use for that language.
                        They are one skill, not two.

                        When you make it a seperate skill you upset the point costs involved.

                        This needs a modification to how languages work. It needs the ability for a
                        campaign to 'just use the default alphabet' or to let you 'choose and
                        alphabet'.

                        It then needs something which lists out which alphabets are available for
                        which languages. And which of these choices work for what region and ethnic
                        group the PC comes from.

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 2, 2001
                          Remember we are working on two front now.

                          First a work around to allow character sheets to print out with the
                          correct language and alphabet information. The characters created
                          will have to be given a free skill in Write Alphabet to represent
                          literacy in their known language(s). It also allows a DM to split
                          the two if they feel Kalamar is less literate than WoG and FR.

                          Second, a complete re-work of the langauge skill is
                          underconsideration for post 2.0 release. This will take into
                          consideration the relationship between languages and alphabets.
                          Nevertheless, realize you can write any language in any alphabet, it
                          just makes translation a bit tricky. ) This would require a heafty
                          challenge rating. You should see my wife try to read my attempts to
                          spell Vietnamise. And this is with similar alphabets (English/French

                          --- In pcgen@y..., "arcady" <arcady0@y...> wrote:
                          > The real problem here is that in Kalamar 'write alphabet' does not
                          exist as
                          > a skill.
                          >
                          > You have a language, and an alphabet you use for that language.
                          > They are one skill, not two.
                          >
                          > When you make it a seperate skill you upset the point costs
                          involved.

                          > This needs a modification to how languages work. It needs the
                          ability for a
                          > campaign to 'just use the default alphabet' or to let you 'choose
                          and
                          > alphabet'.
                          >
                          > It then needs something which lists out which alphabets are
                          available for
                          > which languages. And which of these choices work for what region
                          and ethnic
                          > group the PC comes from.

                        • arcady
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 3, 2001
                            Sometimes it's not simple though.

                            In Kalamar...

                            The Dejy in one place might use the Kalamar alphabet.
                            In other they might use an elven alphabet.

                            But in both places they're still speaking dejy.

                            (hypothetical examples not actual ones).

                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 3, 2001
                              Now, if I can get the language to work in the current format, I'll
                              try to add the BONUS:Write Alphabet (CHOOSE: Language(xxxx,yyyy,zzzz).

                              --- In pcgen@y..., "House Gryphon" <gryps@b...> wrote:

                              > Ah-ha..
                              >
                              > I have a solution :-)
                              >
                              > In the work for the new XML based data files I have been looking at
                              making
                              > the bonus/choose system very generic. I can already see how this
                              would
                              > immediately make what you want possible.
                              >
                              > In Star Wars there are separate Read/Write and Speak Language
                              skills - and
                              > so you do need to spend extra points to learn both.
                              >
                              > In the XML it should be quite possible to define a language skill
                              so that
                              > when you take it, you automatically get the corresponding alphabet.
                              >
                              > In the current LST file format this would be equivalent to having a
                              > corresponding BONUS:Read/Write (xxxx) for each language xxxx (or a
                              >
                              > - Sly
                            • Lonestar
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jun 3, 2001
                                a> Sometimes it's not simple though.

                                a> In Kalamar...

                                a> The Dejy in one place might use the Kalamar alphabet.
                                a> In other they might use an elven alphabet.

                                a> But in both places they're still speaking dejy.

                                a> (hypothetical examples not actual ones).

                                hmmmm, that's where region support kicks in. just define standard
                                language and alphabet for each region.....

                                Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@...
                              • mocha@mcs.net
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jun 4, 2001
                                  My understanding of KoK is that they have one skill - Speak
                                  Languages - and yet they use this to track not only the spoken
                                  languages but the written languages of the characters. When the
                                  languages are you speak are tied to the languages you can write in a
                                  one-to-one fashion (meaning for every spoken language there's only
                                  one written language and if you know one you know the other) then
                                  this is appropriate. Since campaigns like KoK (and probably FR or
                                  other heavilky region-specific campaigns) emphasize the difference
                                  between writing and reading I think it makes sense to split them out
                                  as two different skills. This maximizes the flexibility even if it
                                  adds a skill that doesn't technically exist. Whichever classes have
                                  Speak Languages as a class skill would also have Write Alphabet as a
                                  class skill. I suppose one could construe a case where Sages should
                                  have Write Alphabet as a class-skill but not Speak Languages, since I
                                  think of them as mostly dealing in dead languages (like Accadian or
                                  the other languages on the Rosetta stone).

                                  I think this functionality will tie in a great deal with the whole
                                  regional upgrade. This will require some heavy pondering to make
                                  sure we make it flexible enough to handle as many region-specific
                                  issues and language type issues as possible. When the time comes
                                  that I'm ready to turn my attention to this I'll run my ideas past
                                  you to see what you think. :)

                                  -Bryan

                                  -Bryan
                                  I think that even if a skill like "Write Alphabet" isn't actually
                                  listed anywhere
                                  --- In pcgen@y..., maggard@a... wrote:
                                  > Remember we are working on two front now.
                                  >
                                  > First a work around to allow character sheets to print out with the
                                  > correct language and alphabet information. The characters created
                                  > will have to be given a free skill in Write Alphabet to represent
                                  > literacy in their known language(s). It also allows a DM to split
                                  > the two if they feel Kalamar is less literate than WoG and FR.
                                  >
                                  > Second, a complete re-work of the langauge skill is
                                  > underconsideration for post 2.0 release. This will take into
                                  > consideration the relationship between languages and alphabets.
                                  > Nevertheless, realize you can write any language in any alphabet,
                                  it
                                  > just makes translation a bit tricky. ) This would require a
                                  heafty
                                  > challenge rating. You should see my wife try to read my attempts
                                  > spell Vietnamise. And this is with similar alphabets
                                  (English/French

                                  > --- In pcgen@y..., "arcady" <arcady0@y...> wrote:
                                  > > The real problem here is that in Kalamar 'write alphabet' does
                                  not
                                  > exist as
                                  > > a skill.
                                  > >
                                  > > You have a language, and an alphabet you use for that language.
                                  > > They are one skill, not two.
                                  > >
                                  > > When you make it a seperate skill you upset the point costs
                                  > involved.
                                  > >
                                  > > This needs a modification to how languages work. It needs the
                                  > ability for a
                                  > > campaign to 'just use the default alphabet' or to let you 'choose
                                  > and
                                  > > alphabet'.
                                  > >
                                  > > It then needs something which lists out which alphabets are
                                  > available for
                                  > > which languages. And which of these choices work for what region
                                  > and ethnic
                                  > > group the PC comes from.

                                • Arcady
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jun 4, 2001
                                    Well...

                                    It's more like this:

                                    If you learn to speak Dejy in location A, they write it out
                                    with alpabet A. But if you learn to speak it in location B,
                                    they write it out with alphabet B.

                                    It's still one language.

                                    By the rules it should stay one language.

                                    a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                                  • Shane Harsch
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jun 4, 2001

                                      Why not treat each Alphabet as a separate craft skill? If you are literate, instead of being literate you are skilled in Dejy and Craft(AlphaA). If you go to learn another Lang, you have to learn another Alphabet. Unfortunately, learning an alphabet is no where near as difficult as learning a language, unless the language is pictographic, and then it's exactly like a language.

                                      My proposal:

                                      Craft(Alphabet) - INT - is a skill. This isn't too far from realistic, and you could even get into legibility: make a craft(alphabet) check, DC 10. Success = reader gets +2, 20 = reader gets +4, 1 = illegible. The reader must make a Craft(alphabet) check, applying whatever bonuses, vs DC 10 (concealment due to light applies).

                                      Languages should have a default alphabet associated with them. When you take speak language you need to learn one of those. If later you wanted to learn another alphabet, you could buy more ranks in Craft and learn the alphabet. After that point you would know the alphabet and if there was another language that used the same alphabet you would know how to write that language once you spoke it.

                                      Example
                                      Speak Language is defined with the following languages: English, German, Russian
                                      Craft (Roman) is the roman alphabet
                                      Craft (Cyrillic) is the cyrillic alphabet

                                      I am literate so I start the game with English and Craft(Roman alphabet). If I want to learn German I buy speak language and choose German. Since German uses the same alphabet, Craft(Roman), I can also write German (yes I know there are a couple of special characters but that's trivial). However, if I go to learn Russian, I would need to buy speak language and choose Russian but I would also have to learn Craft(Cyrillic) in order to write it in anything but the roman alphabet, which can be done pretty easily. However, since Cyrillic is the default alphabet for Russian, I would have a hard time communicating with the average russian by writing in the roman alphabet.

                                      The trick is to be sure that Craft(alphabet) is cross class for barbarians. 1 rank in Craft(alphabet) is enough since you only need a DC 10 check to write legibly (can't take 10 or 20), and even then the average reader will make their roll. You can always start over if your penmanship is bad.    =8)

                                      Personally, I don't think I would include "legibility tests" in my game. I would simply require 1 rank of Craft(alphabet) in order to be literate and leave it at that. This solution solves the literacy and the alphabet problem in a relatively realistic fashon.

                                      mudpyr8
                                      No, no, I really AM an applied linguist.

                                      *This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate(tm) Pro* Well...

                                      --- mocha@... wrote:
> [...]
                                      > alphabet' does
                                      > not
                                      > > exist as
                                      > > > a skill.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > You have a language, and an alphabet you use for that
                                      > language.
                                      > > > They are one skill, not two.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > When you make it a seperate skill you upset the point
                                      > costs
                                      > > involved.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > This needs a modification to how languages work. It
                                      > needs the
                                      > > ability for a
                                      > > > campaign to 'just use the default alphabet' or to let
                                      > you 'choose
                                      > > and
                                      > > > alphabet'.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > It then needs something which lists out which alphabets
                                      > are
                                      > > available for
                                      > > > which languages. And which of these choices work for

                                    • Vance
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jun 4, 2001

                                        >If you learn to speak Dejy in location A, they write it out
                                        >with alpabet A. But if you learn to speak it in location B,
                                        >they write it out with alphabet B.
                                        >
                                        >It's still one language.
                                        >
                                        >By the rules it should stay one language.
                                        I've been listening to this and had to put my 2cp in.

                                        Just list the Languages as:
                                        Dejy (A)
                                        Dejy (B)

                                        Since you have to spend a skill to buy the Alphabet, just connect it to the
                                        root language. It might show up twice in your language skills, but now you
                                        can write both Alphabets.
                                        VR
                                      • Arcady
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jun 4, 2001
                                          This could work.

                                          You'd have about 10 versions of every language... but it
                                          could work.

                                          You do still need the LANGAUTO:CHOOSE feature.
                                          and the regional and ethnic features.

                                        • nezzir@home.com
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jun 4, 2001
                                            I'm new to the list. I don't know if this has been covered yet:

                                            I found that if you equip leather armor, it gives you a -3 armor check
                                            penalty as well as +3 to your armor. It also limits your dex modifier to +3.

                                            Should be -0 armor check, +2 AC, +8 max dex.

                                            There also seems to be some refresh issues. There are some changes that if
                                            you make them you must save, exit, and come back in for the changes to be
                                            calculated (armor is one of the changes).

                                            I'm running the 1.4a beta

                                            I created a character using the D&D Dungeon Masters Guide, D&D Players
                                            Handbook, and Forgotten Realms rules set.
                                          • maggard@aztec.asu.edu
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jun 4, 2001
                                              Yet in the same region the example can occur. The Dejy clan based.
                                              Also the Merchant language is written in many alphabets. The
                                              flexibility of having two skills and using the FREE Write Alphabet:
                                              CHOOSE if you tie Literacy to Speak Language is could work.

                                            • mocha@mcs.net
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
                                                --- In pcgen@y..., "nezzir@h..." <nezzir@h...> wrote:
                                                > I'm new to the list. I don't know if this has been covered yet:
                                                >
                                                > I found that if you equip leather armor, it gives you a -3 armor
                                                check
                                                > penalty as well as +3 to your armor. It also limits your dex
                                                modifier to +3.

                                                > Should be -0 armor check, +2 AC, +8 max dex.

                                                Actually, it should be +6 max dex... +8 is padded. I just created a
                                                character and this all works correctly. Do you have anything else
                                                equipped? Is your character proficient with Light armor?

                                                > There also seems to be some refresh issues. There are some changes
                                                that if
                                                > you make them you must save, exit, and come back in for the changes
                                                to be
                                                > calculated (armor is one of the changes).

                                                Really? Hm - everything should be recalculated on the fly, so you
                                                shouldn't ever have to quit and come back in to see a change take
                                                effect. If you continue having problems I'd like to see your pcg
                                                file and if you could give me an exact series of steps that I could
                                                follow to see something that you change and how it doesn't take
                                                effect until the next time you launch PCGen, I'd appreciate it.

                                                -Bryan

                                                > I'm running the 1.4a beta
                                                >
                                                > I created a character using the D&D Dungeon Masters Guide, D&D
                                                Players
                                                > Handbook, and Forgotten Realms rules set.

                                                Thanks for the above info! It's also nice to know what race you
                                                created and what relevant stats you have (dex in the case of armor
                                                and max dex type issues) and what class you have (since that affects
                                                what armor proficiencies you have).

                                                -Bryan
                                              • nezzir@home.com
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
                                                  At 02:42 PM 6/6/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                                                  >--- In pcgen@y..., "nezzir@h..." <nezzir@h...> wrote:
                                                  > > I'm new to the list. I don't know if this has been covered yet:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I found that if you equip leather armor, it gives you a -3 armor
                                                  >check
                                                  > > penalty as well as +3 to your armor. It also limits your dex
                                                  >modifier to +3.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Should be -0 armor check, +2 AC, +8 max dex.
                                                  >
                                                  >Actually, it should be +6 max dex... +8 is padded. I just created a
                                                  >character and this all works correctly. Do you have anything else
                                                  >equipped? Is your character proficient with Light armor?

                                                  I am proficient with light armor. Here's what I have equipped:
                                                  Longbow (composite)
                                                  Musical instrument,common (small)
                                                  Entertainer (Clothing)
                                                  Arrows (20)
                                                  Backpack
                                                  (Note: The leather is now unequipped to get around the error)

                                                  > > There also seems to be some refresh issues. There are some changes
                                                  >that if
                                                  > > you make them you must save, exit, and come back in for the changes
                                                  >to be
                                                  > > calculated (armor is one of the changes).
                                                  >
                                                  >Really? Hm - everything should be recalculated on the fly, so you
                                                  >shouldn't ever have to quit and come back in to see a change take
                                                  >effect. If you continue having problems I'd like to see your pcg
                                                  >file and if you could give me an exact series of steps that I could
                                                  >follow to see something that you change and how it doesn't take
                                                  >effect until the next time you launch PCGen, I'd appreciate it.
                                                  >
                                                  >-Bryan

                                                  The biggest problem I've seen here is I changed my intelligence and it did
                                                  not update the skill modifiers (it still hasn't). There are other things
                                                  but I don't remember what they were. We are starting a new campaign this
                                                  weekend and will probably be using the generator a lot. I'll take some notes.

                                                  > > I'm running the 1.4a beta
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I created a character using the D&D Dungeon Masters Guide, D&D
                                                  >Players
                                                  > > Handbook, and Forgotten Realms rules set.
                                                  >
                                                  >Thanks for the above info! It's also nice to know what race you
                                                  >created and what relevant stats you have (dex in the case of armor
                                                  >and max dex type issues) and what class you have (since that affects
                                                  >what armor proficiencies you have).
                                                  >
                                                  >-Bryan

                                                  Half-Elven
                                                  Bard
                                                  Level 1
                                                  Dex = 16

                                                  Note: New bug -
                                                  I'm working this character toward the "Arcane Archer" class. So to test
                                                  it, I bumped the Bard up to level 8 to get him to the +6 attack bonus
                                                  minimum req. The first thing I noticed was that it did not add any skill
                                                  or feat points. Then (after I juggled it a bit and taking the rest of the
                                                  reqs) I still could not take the class - it stayed starred out. I met all
                                                  the reqs. I thought maybe it was the fact that I was proficient in the
                                                  composite longbow instead of the longbow so I updated it - still no dice.

                                                  If you would like I can send you the character file.

                                                  PS - Thanks for responding

                                                  NezziR,
                                                  Mark A. Warren
                                                  -=*-----------------------------------------------------*=-

                                                  "Tis now the very witching time of night
                                                  when churchyards yawn and hell itself breaths out contagion to this world,
                                                  now could I drink hot blood and do such bitter business as the day would
                                                  quake to look on."

                                                  William Shakespeare,
                                                  Hamlet
                                                • Franco, Matthew E
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
                                                    make sure your chacter isn't carrying to much if you have medium load pcgen
                                                    adds minuses do to ecumberance

                                                    as for trying for arcane archer did you put spells into your spell book?

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
                                                      I am lightly loaded.
                                                      I have spells in my spell book.

                                                      I probably need to start it from scratch...

                                                      At 01:23 PM 6/6/2001 -0400, you wrote:
                                                      >make sure your chacter isn't carrying to much if you have medium load pcgen
                                                      >adds minuses do to ecumberance
                                                      >
                                                      >as for trying for arcane archer did you put spells into your spell book?

                                                      NezziR,
                                                      Mark A. Warren
                                                      -=*-----------------------------------------------------*=-

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
                                                        And note that it has been an official ruling that INT changes do not
                                                        retroactively affect skill points. If you go from INT 11 to 12 at
                                                        level 5 you do not get the bonus skill points you would have had if
                                                        you had started out with an INT 12. I think PCGen behaves correctly
                                                        with this in mind.

                                                        -Bryan

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
                                                          You might check to see if your weight carried is in the "light" category or
                                                          the "medium" category as weight also affects your Max Dex and Armor Check
                                                          Penalty.
                                                          VR

                                                        • nezzir@home.com
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jun 7, 2001
                                                            FYI - You were right - it was weight. I was removing the leather and it
                                                            was taking me under the limit. When I bought it back it "carried" was not
                                                            checked so the weight didn't change. It looked like the leather itself was
                                                            giving me the penalty...

                                                            Sorry for the confusion.

                                                          • House Gryphon
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Jun 19, 2003
                                                              From: "arcady" <arcady0@...>

                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Jun 19, 2003
                                                                From: <maggard@...>
                                                                > will be nice when the CHOOSE skill is available for Profession, Craft
                                                                > and Knowledge skills also. This will shorten the skill list down a
                                                                > bit....

                                                                There is a minor problem with this - it could break things like Skill
                                                                Emphasis.

                                                                In Skill Emphasis you choose one skill (not sub-skill), so if you only have
                                                                one skill called Craft, then you can take Skill Emphasis (Craft), but can't
                                                                specify which craft!

                                                                Note that this problem doesn't apply to Speak Language, because a bonus
                                                                would not have any effect like other skills, so Skill Emphasis is not
                                                                relevant (unless of course someone disagrees here, which would be an
                                                                interesting discussion, remember Skill Emphasis adds a bonus, not Ranks).

                                                                Of course you can start getting tricky like Skill Emphasis (Craft
                                                                (Leatherworking)) - but notice the double brackets look silly when writing
                                                                them out (let alone trying to program them into a computer).

                                                                Just my 2gp worth.

                                                                - Sly