Re: I just got Chucked!

  • pjak
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
      --- In pcgen@y..., "Paul W. King" <paul.king@v...> wrote:
      > > I just got Charbeneaud!
      > Forgive my ignorance, but what does that mean?

      See this rather humorous set of rants:

      /Jonas
    • Keith Davies
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
        On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 06:27:37PM +0000, Paul W. King wrote:
        > > I just got Charbeneaud!
        >
        > Forgive my ignorance, but what does that mean?

        Chuck Charbeneau has a series of stories 'The Drama of Being a Developer'
        that he posts at Perl Monks. He gets nailed by things like this frequently,
        where he gets semi-constantly screwed by changing requirements and
        miscommunications.

        You can find it at http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=69394

        Such as the time they forgot to tell him about a month's work they
        needed from him until about three days before it was due. Quote:

        *RING*RING*
        Our hero: "Hello?"
        Them : "Are we on target?"
        Our hero: Coming out of coder-daze{tm} "Huh?"
        Them : "Are we on target for roll out?"
        Our hero: Thinking, maybe they dialed the wrong number. "For what,
        exactly?"
        Them : "The data parser and database code you are writing."
        Our hero: It was at this point that our hero started quietly looking
        for the EJECT button. "Come again?"
        Them : *Brief, non-technical description of what they understood
        our hero's fictitious code was going to do* "So, are we on
        target?"
        Our hero: WTF!?!?! Okay, Chuck, play it cool, play it calm... "When
        the hell was I supposed to find out about it!?! I bet
        you're thinking that you've let the cat out of the bag
        early, but you just couldn't contain yourself any longer,
        eh?!?"

        You, belov'd reader, can probably imagine how the conversation
        proceeded from there....

        He's a source of inspiration (and humor) to some of us. And I just had
        something happen like that (see my original message).

        Keith
        --
        Keith Davies
        keith.davies@...

        PCGen: <reaper/>, smartass
      • Brass Tilde
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
          > See this rather humorous set of rants:

          > http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=115929

          Humorous only in retrospect, I'm afraid. It's nowhere near that amusing
          when you're in the middle of it.
        • Keith Davies
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
            On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 01:49:08PM -0500, Brass Tilde wrote:
            > > See this rather humorous set of rants:
            >
            > > http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=115929
            >
            > Humorous only in retrospect, I'm afraid. It's nowhere near that amusing
            > when you're in the middle of it.

            When you're under stress like that, it can be. Once you've discovered
            the futility of it all, you can sometimes appreciate it more.

            "Hahaha! We're screwed!"

            It's not a good feeling, but the feeling that you're living Dilbert can
            be striking.

            Keith
            --
            Keith Davies
            keith.davies@...

            PCGen: <reaper/>, smartass
          • pjak
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
              --- In pcgen@y..., "Brass Tilde" <brasstilde@i...> wrote:
              > > See this rather humorous set of rants:
              >
              > > http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=115929
              >
              > Humorous only in retrospect, I'm afraid. It's nowhere near that
              amusing
              > when you're in the middle of it.

              Hey, gallows humor is the only way I survive my current project...

              'Yes, you can have 6 months more to catch up on the stuff left along
              the wayside to get that demo working. As well as an additional 9
              months worth of tasks. Please get done early. Oh, and we'll replace
              the experienced db guy, the application server expert, the domain
              expert and one of the architects with new hires. Some of whom have
              even worked before.'

              /Jonas
            • Brass Tilde
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002

                > > Humorous only in retrospect, I'm afraid. It's nowhere near that amusing
                > > when you're in the middle of it.
                >
                > When you're under stress like that, it can be. Once you've discovered
                > the futility of it all, you can sometimes appreciate it more.

                Five years ago, I would probably have agreed with you. Now however, after
                this long, with this type of thing happening on virtually every project I've
                worked on (along with most of the other people here), it's just old.

                > It's not a good feeling, but the feeling that you're living Dilbert can
                > be striking.

                Not after the 400th time. Conversations about this subject involving me
                tend to go something like this anymore:

                PHB: (on Friday) We need this done by Monday.
                Me: That's 3 weeks work. I can't get it done this weekend.
                PHB: But it *has* to be done.
                Me: Then you should have thought of it 3 weeks ago.
                PHB: But it *has* to be done.
                Me: Then you'll have to find somebody else, because I can't do it.
              • Keith Davies
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
                  On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 02:15:36PM -0500, Brass Tilde wrote:

                  > > > Humorous only in retrospect, I'm afraid. It's nowhere near that amusing
                  > > > when you're in the middle of it.
                  > >
                  > > When you're under stress like that, it can be. Once you've discovered
                  > > the futility of it all, you can sometimes appreciate it more.
                  >
                  > Five years ago, I would probably have agreed with you. Now however, after
                  > this long, with this type of thing happening on virtually every project I've
                  > worked on (along with most of the other people here), it's just old.

                  I've got a longer sense of humor than most other people, I think,
                  especially when it comes to dealing with the ludicrous.

                  > > It's not a good feeling, but the feeling that you're living Dilbert can
                  > > be striking.
                  >
                  > Not after the 400th time. Conversations about this subject involving me
                  > tend to go something like this anymore:
                  >
                  > PHB: (on Friday) We need this done by Monday.
                  > Me: That's 3 weeks work. I can't get it done this weekend.
                  > PHB: But it *has* to be done.
                  > Me: Then you should have thought of it 3 weeks ago.
                  > PHB: But it *has* to be done.
                  > Me: Then you'll have to find somebody else, because I can't do it.

                  I'm usually like that myself, for things I can control -- I've had that
                  conversation before, right up there with 'just because *you* knew you
                  were going to need {three weeks work done} today two months ago doesn't
                  do any good; you have to let others know'. Doesn't make me popular
                  sometimes, but happily I've got a boss here that'll back me when needed.

                  In this case we have a legislated requirement (i.e. we're breaking the
                  law if we don't do it). An individual will be bringing in some work
                  much earlier than anticipated and we have to be able to deal with it in
                  a limited amount of time. (I'd be more specific but I'm under NDA as a
                  contractor -- I can't.)

                  We have a solution that we're implementing. I was planning to take
                  advantage of the changes to slide in some improvements (normalize some
                  data, strip out a bunch of unneeded fields, etc.) and won't have that
                  opportunity.

                  Keith
                  --
                  Keith Davies
                  keith.davies@...

                  PCGen: <reaper/>, smartass
                • Keith Davies
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
                    On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 07:14:10PM +0000, pjak wrote:
                    > --- In pcgen@y..., "Brass Tilde" <brasstilde@i...> wrote:
                    > > > See this rather humorous set of rants:
                    > >
                    > > > http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=115929
                    > >
                    > > Humorous only in retrospect, I'm afraid. It's nowhere near that
                    > amusing
                    > > when you're in the middle of it.
                    >
                    > Hey, gallows humor is the only way I survive my current project...
                    >
                    > 'Yes, you can have 6 months more to catch up on the stuff left along
                    > the wayside to get that demo working. As well as an additional 9
                    > months worth of tasks. Please get done early. Oh, and we'll replace
                    > the experienced db guy, the application server expert, the domain
                    > expert and one of the architects with new hires. Some of whom have
                    > even worked before.'

                    See? *Here's* someone who can appreciate what we're going through here.

                    Get this -- the organization recently (well, over the last /n/ years)
                    paid multiple millions of dollars to replace the old data system.
                    Granted, they were Canadian dollars, but there were still millions of
                    them. I've spent the last two months trying to figure out how to make
                    the back end suit our business needs; they fully normalized a bunch of
                    information, including some stuff that, by business requirement, has to
                    be kept together.

                    Ever try to construct a snapshot of all information relating to an
                    entity as at a particular time when you have to crawl through twelve
                    multimillion record tables *and* their related audit tables to find out
                    what each table looked like at that time? Then tried to compose a
                    series of audit records to be passed to another process, again for each
                    entity but this time spanning a period? In *Oracle*? In less than an
                    hour?

                    Frighteningly enough, I've about got it implemented. First step: dump
                    the data out of Oracle into flat files (using Pro*C and buffered queries
                    -- I can dump ~16k records per second this way) then do the assorted
                    joins and manipulations using some custom C code and a few standard
                    programs like 'sort' and 'diff'.

                    Okay, we're getting too far offtopic (or at least I am). Stressful
                    days, just before Christmas. OTOH, I will now be able to afford better
                    gifts, so I guess it evens out.

                    "Hey kids, guess what? You get *Daddy* back for Christmas!"

                    Keith
                    --
                    Keith Davies
                    keith.davies@...

                    PCGen: <reaper/>, smartass
                  • Chuck Charbeneau
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
                      I'm now a verb.

                      Excellent.

                      Here's a small and timely example of what it means to be me'd.

                      Today is my day off (the only one I've had in six weeks or so, and
                      the only one that I'll be having until the Christmas Holiday). Of
                      course my boss, knowing that I have a day off today, schedules a
                      consultant from Plumtree (see the "Drama of being a developer" for
                      more information) to be on site starting today. Go figure.

                      I just had a phone call (while I was grocery shopping for the first
                      time in two months) that the servers that I so diligently set up and
                      took meticulous notes about had been reconfigured by said
                      consultant. Now, that he reconfigured them is no big deal, that is
                      his specialty, but here's a brief synopsis of the phone call:

                      I said to my boss -
                      "Did you take notes?"
                      "About what?"

                      *grumble*What are we talking about right now?!? *grumble*

                      "About the reconfiguration, you know, all the settings, and the
                      architecture change?"
                      "No, he knows how it was all done."
                      "Who does?"
                      "The consultant"
                      "Did you hire him, then?"
                      "What? Why?"
                      "Because if he is the only one that knows the setup, and he doesn't
                      work for us, it means he's leaving, right"
                      "Oh, yeah, I guess so. But he'll be here all week, so you can talk
                      to him about it tomorrow."
                      "So I have to take notes that you and the sys-admin should have taken
                      instead of working with him on my portion of our planned use of his
                      VERY expensive time?"
                      "Yes."

                      "Excellent, see you tomorrow, then."

                      I love my work, I love my work, I love my work....

                      Now where did Farmer Jack move the pinto beans to???

                      Chuck.
                    • cyberfunkr
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
                        --- In pcgen@y..., "Chuck Charbeneau" <ccharbeneau@l...> wrote:
                        > I'm now a verb.
                        >
                        > Excellent.

                        <snip of great story>

                        > I love my work, I love my work, I love my work....
                        >
                        > Chuck.

                        It's at times like these I point people to a chart on my wall, call
                        out a number, and resume ignoring them.

                        The chart is "How To Handle Interuptions from Co-Workers". Here are a
                        few popular ones:

                        1. I see your point, but I still think you're full of sh*t.
                        2. I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce.
                        3. How about never? Is never good for you?

                        and my favorites

                        10. Ahhh... I see the screw-up fairy has visited us again.
                        14. I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.
                        18. Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

                        The list is up to 40, but I keep adding more

                        /Cyberfunkr
                      • Barak
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
                          I like the one I have on my wall concerning supposedly "real" comments on
                          evaluations. My current favorites:

                          "Works well when under constant supervision and cornered like a rat in a
                          trap"
                          "This employee is depriving a village somewhere of an idiot"

                          And the other wall hanging that my boss doesn't understand why I find so
                          amusing:

                          "We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for
                          the ungrateful. We've done so much for so long with so little that now we
                          are capable of doing practically anything with virtually nothing."

                          Barak
                          Output Sheet Chimp
                          LST Gibbon

                        • Mynex
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
                            *snicker, snort, guffaw*

                            I like #'s 10 & 14 a great deal. :)

                            # 18 is a given though. ;p

                            Mynex
                            - Code Monkey Publishing Co-Founder (www.codemonkeypublishing.com)
                            - PCGen's #1 Evil Assistant
                            - PCGen Data & Doc Silverback

                            > I love my work, I love my work, I love my work....
                            >
                            > Chuck.

                            It's at times like these I point people to a chart on my wall, call
                            out a number, and resume ignoring them.

                            The chart is "How To Handle Interuptions from Co-Workers". Here are a
                            few popular ones:

                            1. I see your point, but I still think you're full of sh*t.
                            2. I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to
                            pronounce.
                            3. How about never? Is never good for you?

                            and my favorites

                            10. Ahhh... I see the screw-up fairy has visited us again.
                            14. I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.
                            18. Any connection between your reality and mine is purely
                            coincidental.

                            The list is up to 40, but I keep adding more

                            /Cyberfunkr
                          • Rob Hines Jr.
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
                              Okay, I need a copy of that for my office, to go next to the Evil Overlord
                              Top 100.

                              :)

                              On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Mynex wrote:

                              *snicker, snort, guffaw*

                              I like #'s 10 & 14 a great deal. :)

                              # 18 is a given though. ;p

                              Mynex
                              - Code Monkey Publishing Co-Founder (www.codemonkeypublishing.com)
                              - PCGen's #1 Evil Assistant
                              - PCGen Data & Doc Silverback

                              > I love my work, I love my work, I love my work....
                              >
                              > Chuck.

                              It's at times like these I point people to a chart on my wall, call
                              out a number, and resume ignoring them.

                              The chart is "How To Handle Interuptions from Co-Workers". Here are a
                              few popular ones:

                              1. I see your point, but I still think you're full of sh*t.
                              2. I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to
                              pronounce.
                              3. How about never? Is never good for you?

                              and my favorites

                              10. Ahhh... I see the screw-up fairy has visited us again.
                              14. I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.
                              18. Any connection between your reality and mine is purely
                              coincidental.

                              The list is up to 40, but I keep adding more

                              /Cyberfunkr

                              Rob

                              ----
                              Rob Hines Jr.
                              Systems Administrator

                              (http://www.geekcode.com)
                            • Paul W. King
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
                                > "Hey kids, guess what? You get *Daddy* back for Christmas!"

                                Ugh. That's a sore subject in my house. My company got bought out
                                by another, and we're going to their record keeping systems (a step
                                forward says they). However, their systems are equivalent to what
                                ours were 10 years ago...old main frame interfaces. Needless to say,
                                my department is scattered to the 4 corners of PA, and I've had to do
                                a *lot* of driving recently...this on top of my last semester taking
                                my 2 toughest classes for my MBA. My wife and kid don't see much of
                                me...and it ain't fun.

                                Paul W. King
                              • Ward, Christopher
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 3, 2002
                                  Or the one my dad used to put on Army reports:

                                  "Tries hard. Fails to achieve the low standards he sets himself.
                                  Works well with a broom"

                                  regards,
                                  Frugal

                                • Keith Davies
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 3, 2002
                                    On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 09:27:33PM +0000, cyberfunkr wrote:
                                    > --- In pcgen@y..., "Chuck Charbeneau" <ccharbeneau@l...> wrote:
                                    > > I'm now a verb.
                                    > >
                                    > > Excellent.
                                    >
                                    > <snip of great story>
                                    >
                                    > > I love my work, I love my work, I love my work....
                                    > >
                                    > > Chuck.
                                    >
                                    > It's at times like these I point people to a chart on my wall, call
                                    > out a number, and resume ignoring them.
                                    >
                                    > The chart is "How To Handle Interuptions from Co-Workers". Here are a
                                    > few popular ones:
                                    >
                                    > 1. I see your point, but I still think you're full of sh*t.
                                    > 2. I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce.
                                    > 3. How about never? Is never good for you?
                                    >
                                    > and my favorites
                                    >
                                    > 10. Ahhh... I see the screw-up fairy has visited us again.
                                    > 14. I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.
                                    > 18. Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.
                                    >
                                    > The list is up to 40, but I keep adding more

                                    My all-time favorite has still got to be "a lack of planning on your
                                    part does not constitute an emergency on mine".

                                    Can you send me a copy of this sheet? I could really use it about now.

                                    Keith
                                    --
                                    Keith Davies
                                    keith.davies@...