RE: [pcgen] File - Welcome [BRYAN]

  • Michael Tucker
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002
      Hi, Bryan et al:

      In the Welcome file, could you please add brief definitions for:
      - OGL
      - D20
      - SRD

      D20 might be intuitively obvious, but OGL and SRD are just random letters
      unless you happen to know what they mean. And they are, of course,
      *critical* (especially SRD) to understanding why certain material isn't
      available yet, thus cutting down on the noise on this board.

      Thanks,
      Michael

      > Is PCGen OGL or D20?
      > As of version 4.0.0, PCGen is OGL and D20 compliant. We are
      > in regular contact with Wizards of the Coast to make sure we
      > stay that way.
      >
      > Where is Wotc's non-SRD material?
      > [snip]
    • Ward, Christopher
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002
        A link to the relevent parts of the wizards web site might also be a good
        idea. Finding the SRD on the wizards site is non trivial (I have only ever
        found the PHB one, not the DMG or MM ones (unless they are the same thing))

        regards,
        Frugal

      • merton_monk
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002
          --- In pcgen@y..., "Ward, Christopher" <Christopher.Ward@m...> wrote:
          > A link to the relevent parts of the wizards web site might also be
          a good
          > idea. Finding the SRD on the wizards site is non trivial (I have
          only ever
          > found the PHB one, not the DMG or MM ones (unless they are the same
          thing))

          > regards,
          > Frugal

          Comments noted. I've modified the blurbs in the welcome file to be
          like this.... does this seem more clear?

          Is PCGen OGL or D20?
          As of version 4.0.0, PCGen is OGL and D20 compliant. We are in
          regular contact with Wizards of the Coast to make sure we stay that
          way. The Open Gaming License (OGL) can be found at:
          http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/ogl.html
          For a description of how the OGL and D20 licenses work, and a
          definition of the "Standard Resource Document" (aka SRD) visit:
          http://www.wizards.com/d20/article.asp?x=dt20010417b

          Where is Wotc's non-SRD material?
          Wotc has been very gracious with us and helpful in our process of
          becoming, and remaining, OGL and D20 compliant. We are currently in
          discussions with them about their non-SRD material (ForgottenRealms,
          splatbooks, dragon magazine items, etc.). We will definitely keep
          everyone appraised of any developments in our discussions with Wotc.

          Thanks.

          -Bryan
        • merton_monk
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002
            --- In pcgen@y..., Michael Tucker <mtucker@e...> wrote:
            > > Comments noted. I've modified the blurbs in the welcome file to
            be
            > > like this.... does this seem more clear?
            > >
            > > [sample snipped]
            > >
            > > Thanks.
            > >
            > > -Bryan
            > >

            > Your changes and additions are wonderful. Thanks!

            Really? Maybe I *could* be a Doc Monkey after all!!!! :D

            -Bryan

            > Michael
          • Michael Tucker
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002
              > Comments noted. I've modified the blurbs in the welcome file to be
              > like this.... does this seem more clear?
              >
              > [sample snipped]
              >
              > Thanks.
              >
              > -Bryan

              Your changes and additions are wonderful. Thanks!

              Michael
            • Paul W. King
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002
                > The Open Gaming License (OGL) can be found at:
                > http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/ogl.html

                You might want to include the WotC link instead, as that's the
                official site.

                Paul W. King
              • Hugo
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002
                  <snip>
                  > For a description of how the OGL and D20 licenses work, and a
                  > definition of the "Standard Resource Document" (aka SRD) visit:
                  > http://www.wizards.com/d20/article.asp?x=dt20010417b

                  <snip>

                  > Thanks.
                  >
                  > -Bryan

                  Shouldn't it be "System Reference Document" instead?

                  Later,
                  Hugo
                  LST Gibbon stuck in the body of Saguinus Imperator
                • Ed Beckwith
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002
                    Might be useful to define "Splatbooks" as well.. from just perusing the
                    lists here I can figure out what they are, but for someone who just joined
                    the groups and gets the message...well, it might confuse them.

                    Ed