feats and AC

  • Florian MARTIN
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
      another question for a feat:

      let's say a feat provides a +2 AC each time you choose the feat. I tried the following but
      it doesn't work...

      NameOfMyFeat TYPE:Psionic PREVARGTEQ:Manifester,1 DESC:MyDescription MULT:YES
      STACK:YES BONUS:COMBAT|AC|2|TYPE=Enhancement CHOOSE:+2 AC

      in fact, it will give the +2 AC bonus the first time when chosen, but not another +2 bonus
      when chosen a second time

      could you provide a hint please? :-)

      Florian MARTIN
      12, sq Jules Ferry, 95110 Sannois (FR)
      Phone: (+33) 06 73 48 28 19
    • Shawn A. Chesak
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
        This is because by the rules themselves, enhancement bonuses do not
        stack; each time you add the feat you are adding a new +2 enhancement
        bonus. Although you are specifying the proper tag in the feat that says
        the FEAT stacks, the basic rules of the game regarding that type of
        bonus says otherwise. Therefore, you end up only getting the effect of
        one of the bonuses, no matter how many times you add it.

        I think what you'd want to do is use COUNT to determine how many times
        the feat has been selected and add a bonus of 2* this value.

        Shawn A. Chesak
        http://www.stormkeep.net

      • Milan K. Alnas
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
          is it a +2 Dodge bonus it gives? Dodge is the only typ of AC bonus that
          stacks.

          This is because by the rules themselves, enhancement bonuses do not
          stack; each time you add the feat you are adding a new +2 enhancement
          bonus. Although you are specifying the proper tag in the feat that says
          the FEAT stacks, the basic rules of the game regarding that type of
          bonus says otherwise. Therefore, you end up only getting the effect of
          one of the bonuses, no matter how many times you add it.

          I think what you'd want to do is use COUNT to determine how many times
          the feat has been selected and add a bonus of 2* this value.

          Shawn A. Chesak
          http://www.stormkeep.net

          ---
          Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

          ---
        • Timothy J. Lanza
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
            At 01:45 AM 12/2/2002, Milan K. Alnas wrote:
            >is it a +2 Dodge bonus it gives? Dodge is the only typ of AC bonus that
            >stacks.

            That may be true when dealing with bonuses from different sources, but this guy is trying to create a feat that explicitly and specifically stacks with itself.

            Timothy J. Lanza
          • Florian MARTIN
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
              In fact, this feat is like the "inertial armor" feat and should work exactly the same way
              BUT with the possibility to be taken multiple time with a +4 bonus the first time and a +2
              bonus the following times (As long as pp>0)

              For now, I settled it the following:

              Inertial Armor 2 TYPE:Psionic PREFEAT:1,Inertial Armor PPREVARGTEQ:Manifester,1 DESC:(...)
              BONUS:COMBAT|AC|6|TYPE=Enhancement

              Inertial Armor 3 TYPE:Psionic PREFEAT:1,Inertial Armor 1 PREVARGTEQ:Manifester,1
              DESC:(...) BONUS:COMBAT|AC|8|TYPE=Enhancement

              and so on... I know that this does not take into account the PP>0 condition, but I
              preferred to settle it this way since I am quiet sure a Psionic character will 95% of the
              time a PP reserve over 0

              Yet, if there was a possibility to make the whole bunch in only one feat lst line, it
              would be great... but reading your answers, I guess this will be hard.

              Florian MARTIN
              14, allée de l'Oseraie - 94260 Fresnes (FR)
              Phone: (+33) 06 73 48 28 19

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
                In fact, I encountered the same problem with a feat (see below) which should enable a
                character to choose 1 additional psionic power from his class list. The feat works, but
                does not stack... is there a possibility to make it stack?

                Extra Power (0 lvl) TYPE:Psionic PREVARGTEQ:Manifester,1 DESC:(...)
                MULT:YES STACK:YES CHOOSE:bonus 0st lvl power BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|TYPE=PSIONIC;LEVEL=0|1

                It works fine the first time you chose the feat, adding 1 additional 0 level power. But
                when chosen a 2nd time, it does not stack...

                Florian MARTIN
                14, allée de l'Oseraie - 94260 Fresnes (FR)
                Phone: (+33) 06 73 48 28 19

                let's say a feat provides a +2 AC each time you choose the feat. I tried the following but
                it doesn't work...

                NameOfMyFeat TYPE:Psionic PREVARGTEQ:Manifester,1 DESC:MyDescription MULT:YES
                STACK:YES BONUS:COMBAT|AC|2|TYPE=Enhancement CHOOSE:+2 AC

                in fact, it will give the +2 AC bonus the first time when chosen, but not another +2 bonus
                when chosen a second time

                could you provide a hint please? :-)

                Florian MARTIN

              • Tir Gwaith
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
                  Again, the BONUS is only applied once.

                  TYPE:Psionic.ExtraPower
                  BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|TYPE=Psionic;LEVEL=0|COUNT[FEATTYPE=ExtraPower]

                  Chief LST Chimp
                  Strange Monkey
                  MM Race Dragon