RE: [pcgen] TAGS

  • Mynex
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2002
      My guess would be in the documentation. ;p

      Mynex
      - Code Monkey Publishing Co-Founder (www.codemonkeypublishing.com)
      - PCGen's #1 Evil Assistant
      - PCGen Data & Doc Silverback

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2002
        Well, this is not entirely accurate the documentation is missing what I
        consider quite a lot in regards tags and formatting thereof. And he did
        say a list of ALL; the documentation is definitely NOT comprehensive.

        Without assistance from this mailing list or a good example in an
        already existing data file it is impossible to figure out how to
        accomplish many things just from the documentation alone.

        I think also, the request was for just a "list" rather then the multiple
        pages of tags with so many numerous examples and the like that you need
        to do a lot of scrolling up and down to scan the entire set of tags. I
        too often think it would be "handy" just to have a brief list for each
        category, all on one page in order to be allow a "quick glance" to find
        what is needed. (In that respect, I think the old table-format
        documentation was more useful)

        Speaking of this, there are also quite a few errors in the documentation
        regarding formatting of several tags and the data which follows, such as
        the example showing a pipe where in fact a comma is required, or
        omitting part of a tag that is necessary, or showing a equals sign where
        one needs to actually use a period, etc. I spent the holiday weekend
        creating all of the lst files for several new sourcebooks that I
        recently purchased and stumbled on a fair number of these errors; wish
        I'd been a bit less focused on what I was working on and actually taken
        the time to keep track of the errors and omissions that I found. I
        apologize for my lack of forethought in that I didn't keep track at all.
        :(

        Shawn A. Chesak
        http://www.stormkeep.net

      • Tir Gwaith
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2002
          > is there a list of all TAGS available somewhere? Perhaps sorted by
          category? (i.e. FEAT
          > TAGS, SKILL TAGS, CLASS TAGS etc...)?

          In the Docs, perhaps? Part 3 of every release...

          Chief LST Chimp
          Strange Monkey
          MM Race Dragon
        • merton_monk
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2002
            --- In pcgen@y..., "Shawn A. Chesak" <shawnchesak@s...> wrote:
            > Well, this is not entirely accurate the documentation is missing
            what I
            > consider quite a lot in regards tags and formatting thereof. And
            he did
            > say a list of ALL; the documentation is definitely NOT
            comprehensive.

            That was more true in the past - lately we've had a good crew of Doc
            Monkeys working to make sure that all the tags are accounted for and
            that they work as advertised. At this point in time I'm fairly
            certain that all (or at least 99.9% of them!) the tags are listed.
            For each file type (e.g. feats) there are 2 files you'd need to look
            in - 1 for the file type specifically (the feat file) and the global
            one.

            > Without assistance from this mailing list or a good example in an
            > already existing data file it is impossible to figure out how to
            > accomplish many things just from the documentation alone.

            Very true - I'm not sure I've ever read any documentation that
            explained everything fully enough. The data files themselves are a
            wonderful working example for just about all the tags, so you can
            see how the tag is actually used. Many tags have many variations
            available - not all of the variations are used in the datafiles, but
            at least a couple of examples should give you enough to start.

            > I think also, the request was for just a "list" rather then the
            multiple
            > pages of tags with so many numerous examples and the like that you
            need
            > to do a lot of scrolling up and down to scan the entire set of
            tags. I
            > too often think it would be "handy" just to have a brief list for
            each
            > category, all on one page in order to be allow a "quick glance" to
            find
            > what is needed. (In that respect, I think the old table-format
            > documentation was more useful)

            We're quickly approaching a point where I don't think many new
            significant tags will be required. Then it will be more appropriate
            to create a file which lists all the tags and tokens and can link
            you to a fuller description.

            > Speaking of this, there are also quite a few errors in the
            documentation
            > regarding formatting of several tags and the data which follows,
            such as
            > the example showing a pipe where in fact a comma is required, or
            > omitting part of a tag that is necessary, or showing a equals sign
            where
            > one needs to actually use a period, etc. I spent the holiday
            weekend
            > creating all of the lst files for several new sourcebooks that I
            > recently purchased and stumbled on a fair number of these errors;
            wish
            > I'd been a bit less focused on what I was working on and actually
            taken
            > the time to keep track of the errors and omissions that I found. I
            > apologize for my lack of forethought in that I didn't keep track
            at all.
            > :(

            Just saying "there are errors in the documentation!" is likely to
            hurt the feelings of the doc monkeys who have spent so much time and
            energy on vastly improving the condition of it. Code Monkeys should
            never be left to document what they write - that's not their
            strength, and who wants to do something they're not good at??? ;)
            As you note, it would be better to give a list of the errors so the
            Doc Monkeys know what needs fixing. I don't think anyone would
            maintain that the documentation is perfect, but the scope of it is
            big enough that if you don't know exactly what's in error, it's not
            worth spending much time looking through the haystack. If you or
            anyone else comes across something where you think the documentation
            is insufficient, wrong or entirely missing, let us know! The Doc
            Monkeys take great pride in their work, and they're happy to make it
            better. The Data Monkeys appreciate the greatly improved status of
            the documentation because that means training new data monkeys is
            even easier and less time consuming. The Code Monkeys are happy
            because they have to spend less time spelunking through the code to
            figure out how that tag 'really' works!

            So.... telling someone to look in the documentation isn't a bogus
            answer - if they don't find what they're looking for, then that
            alone tells us that maybe the documentation could use some TLC in
            that area.

            -Bryan

            > Shawn A. Chesak
            > http://www.stormkeep.net

          • Shawn A. Chesak
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2002
              Shawn A. Chesak
              http://www.stormkeep.net
              > We're quickly approaching a point where I don't think many new
              > significant tags will be required. Then it will be more appropriate
              > to create a file which lists all the tags and tokens and can link
              > you to a fuller description.

              That will be nice! BTW, I meant no slight in regards to this. I wasn't
              implying that this is what the doc's currently "should" have, but rather
              what I believe the original poster was looking for.

              > Just saying "there are errors in the documentation!" is likely to
              > hurt the feelings of the doc monkeys who have spent so much time and
              > energy on vastly improving the condition of it. Code Monkeys should
              > never be left to document what they write - that's not their
              > strength, and who wants to do something they're not good at??? ;)
              > As you note, it would be better to give a list of the errors so the
              > Doc Monkeys know what needs fixing. <snipped for brevity>

              Yes, I do apologize for not keeping track better of where I found
              mistakes. I've been a user of PCGen practically since the program was
              first made available to us over the internet. During this time I have
              always made an effort to post here any problems, errors, or what have
              you that I find in order to help the team of you (previously just the
              individual) working on it.

              As I see it, this wonderful program is a tremendous tool for myself and
              the players in my game and I'm extremely grateful for all of those who
              work so hard to make it available for us. Because I can't consistently
              devote any portion of time to projects such as this, I have not
              volunteered my time to directly help y'all -- letting you know through
              this list about any problems I find is what I consider the little bit
              that I CAN do to help.

              And I will agree, the documentation is very comprehensive (just not 100
              percent complete...yet). But then, this can be also said regarding the
              program itself, as y'all are continuously working on, fixing, tweaking
              and improving upon it. Though this can occasionally create some
              complications or confusion for users, I'd say that it's a good thing,
              eh? ;-)